• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

dubc35

Get out there!
Hj89HD4.png

If you're in this thread, you have an interest in motorsports. It's easy to get involved locally in autocross, sometimes referred to as Solo or Solo II. You also don't need an expensive, "nice" or modified car. The SCCA website is the best place to find your local region. Many regions have other clubs but the SCCA is a good starting point. You can usually get out there for around $30! As most professional series are about to ramp up, so are amatuer autox series. You still should have some time to get your novice school booked. They get you the most seat time per $ and you will get good instructor feedback for each run.

What is autocross?
An autocross is a skill driving event in which one car at a time negotiates a prescribed course, using traffic cones to define a variety of turns. The sites are usually laid out on huge, open parking lots, or on sections of airport runways. The course is set up so that you are operating in lower gears, with a top speed of no more than 60mph or so, depending on the car. The average time of a run on the course is approximately one minute, plus a penalty of two seconds for each rubber cone (pylon) hit. During each run you operate your car at it's limit of acceleration, turning, and braking...and yours. You maintain complete control of your car while maneuvering through the course in the lowest possible time.

While driving on the street, the time span of most emergencies is only a few seconds. Thus the experience of maintaining control becomes a valuable training session. You will develop a sense of timing, judgment, and ability to interpret your vehicle's handling characteristics - at safe speeds and in a safe place. Your experiences at an autocross will enhance your driving ability on the street.

Autocross References:
Tire Rack has a good novice handbook.
Secrets of Solo Racing is another good reference. There aren't really any "secrets" but it is a good reference for drivers new to AutoX.

Areas of opportunity:
Missed series
If I missed a series let me know and I'll add it.
Calendars in the OP
I'd like to have viewable calendars for the series in the OP but I haven't been able to source a good, standard, format.
Live Events
Some series (WEC, DTM) air love coverage of their events online. I'd like some way to display that. Open for suggestions on how to display that.
Get involved!
Anyone able to add info for getting started in karting, rallyX, TSD rallies, legal drag racing, etc. If you have something please contribute! I've only been active in autoX.

Thanks to Dead Man for helping me out!

Addnan

Good stuff.

Will try too watch more than just F1 this season on a regular basis rather than one off events.

Need an easy way to watch the American stuff live..

Nice! Well done, and thanks for doing it.

Really looking forward to the USC's debut. The Rolex is such a wonderful dead-of-winter gem, and it'll be even more special this weekend.

Shaneus

Subbed!

Edit: Actually had a look at the OP. Damn, that's a classy one! Tops work, dubc.
Needs more Webber though ;)

dubc35

Thanks all, here's to hoping for a great 2014 motoring year!

Subbed!

Edit: Actually had a look at the OP. Damn, that's a classy one! Tops work, dubc.
Ha, I did in fact think about including a Webbah reference in the title or gif-ing the WEC banner with him checking out Michibata but ended up not. :(

Dead Man

Subbed!

You should really watch a couple V8 Supercar races this year. No Webbah, and shithouse commentary half the time, but awesome racing.

dubc35

You should really watch a couple V8 Supercar races this year. No Webbah, and shithouse commentary half the time, but awesome racing.

Do they still stream online? I remember a couple years ago you could create an account, not region locked, and watch live online.

Dead Man

Do they still stream online? I remember a couple years ago you could create an account, not region locked, and watch live online.

They do, but they started charging for it, even people in countries with no TV coverage. Stupid fucking decision, they are not NASCAR, they need coverage in more countries before they can charge for a stream of the race. They should learn from DTM.

Shaneus

I do when I remember, but have a tendency to forget more often than not. And yeah, the commentary shits me up the wall most of the time. I'd kill for a stream where there was zero commentary. Whenever I find a stream of some random race online (usually Le Mans, sometimes something else) that has no commentary, I lose my shit.

They do, but they started charging for it, even people in countries with no TV coverage. Stupid fucking decision, they are not NASCAR, they need coverage in more countries before they can charge for a stream of the race. They should learn from DTM.
Can it be gotten around with the likes of VPN or whatever, or are they charging everyone? I know they streamed the first few races (that streaming was in place) for free, but don't know what happened after that.
But I'm in agreement, they should follow the WEC and do it for free. You'd think they could get more advertising/sponsor bucks that way, with a global audience.

Dead Man

I do when I remember, but have a tendency to forget more often than not. And yeah, the commentary shits me up the wall most of the time. I'd kill for a stream where there was zero commentary. Whenever I find a stream of some random race online (usually Le Mans, sometimes something else) that has no commentary, I lose my shit.
Commentary free sports coverage is my holy grail. I had Foxtel for a while back in the day, the commentary free AFL coverage was awesome.
Can it be gotten around with the likes of VPN or whatever, or are they charging everyone? I know they streamed the first few races (that streaming was in place) for free, but don't know what happened after that.
But I'm in agreement, they should follow the WEC and do it for free. You'd think they could get more advertising/sponsor bucks that way, with a global audience.
Nope, charged worldwide. Stupid idea.

MotoGP really needs it own thread. It's completely different from 4 wheeled racing. I know its going to stay here but more often than not 4 wheel guys aren't interested in two wheels and vice versa.

Not trying to have a whinge, but F1 has its own as the pinnacle of 4 wheel racing. MotoGP is the two wheel equivalent.

Chris R

MotoGP really needs it own thread. It's completely different from 4 wheeled racing. I know its going to stay here but more often than not 4 wheel guys aren't interested in two wheels and vice versa.

Not trying to have a whinge, but F1 has its own as the pinnacle of 4 wheel racing. MotoGP is the two wheel equivalent.

Make one then. I just thought all of the other forms of motorsport were combined into a single thread to keep it somewhere near the top 5 pages no matter what event is going on.

edit: subbed, can't wait for 24h Daytona!

Make one then. I just thought all of the other forms of motorsport were combined into a single thread to keep it somewhere near the top 5 pages no matter what event is going on.

Um I can't..Like I said I wasn't having a go, just saying as bike racing is a completely different world to car racing. I guess just seeing it lumped in with everything else when its motorcycles top tier event rustled my jimmies a little. Its no biggie, really

Dead Man

He's a junior... ;)

edit: beaten.

Shaneus

Commentary free sports coverage is my holy grail. I had Foxtel for a while back in the day, the commentary free AFL coverage was awesome.
Hey DM. Enjoy :)
(Don't ask me how I found it... 1977 South African GP, no commentary!)

Nope, charged worldwide. Stupid idea.
Absolute fucking idiots. So stupid how they're "showing off to the world" or whatever by having races overseas, but they're making it as difficult as possible for people to watch it. Fuck.

Edit: Turns out, just searching for "trackside" on Youtube gets you stacks of audio-only videos :)

Dead Man

Hey DM. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8Ba2GBibU]Enjoy :)[/url]
(Don't ask me how I found it... 1977 South African GP, no commentary!)
Awesome find. Too bad it is the race with the Tom Pryce crash and fatalities. A very good find though, appreciated.
Absolute fucking idiots. So stupid how they're "showing off to the world" or whatever by having races overseas, but they're making it as difficult as possible for people to watch it. Fuck.
Even worse, I just had a look around their shithouse website to see if they had changed anything for this year, and I can't seem to find a way to purchase the 2014 season.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/v8live links to:

https://www.v8supercars.com.au/v8superview

Which only has the 2013 season review available, and for that they want $10, down from $40 which I presume was the price for live coeverage of 2013. Cheeky shites marketing it that way, or really cheeky shites for charging $40 for a previous season streamed.

Edit:
Edit: Turns out, just searching for "trackside" on Youtube gets you stacks of audio-only videos :)
Cheers! :)

moojito

Why hello, 2014 thread.

This season I hope to add the Webber Endurance Championship to my usual nascar/f1/motogp/dtm watching habits.

dubc35

The night will be streamed online, not sure if it is region locked, shouldn't be but who knows.

The Rolex 24 broadcast will feature multiple platforms with a wide variety of ways to watch and listen. The full TV coverage schedule is as follows:

Saturday, Jan. 25
2-4 p.m. ET on Fox
4-9 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 2

Overnight (Jan. 25-26)
9 p.m.-7 a.m. ET on IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)

Sunday, Jan. 26
7 a.m.-3 p.m. on Fox Sports 1

Live streaming of the Rolex 24 at Daytona also will be available on the Fox Sports GO mobile application for iOS devices.

Bob Varsha is the lead announcer in a Fox broadcast booth that includes Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, Brian Till, Tommy Kendall and Justin Bell. Reporting from pit lane will be Chris Neville, Jamie Howe, Andrew Marriott and Matt Yocum.

In addition to the live telecasts, Motor Racing Network (MRN) will air live 24-hour radio coverage of the Rolex 24 at Daytona, along with 12 races in the inaugural Tudor Championship. All Motor Racing Network races are also streamed live at www.MRN.com. Live coverage of the Rolex 24 at Daytona also can be heard on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (channel 90) starting at 2 pm ET. The entire Tudor Championship season can be heard on Sirius channel 117.

IMSA.com will offer streaming of all MRN broadcasts as part of its live online coverage. IMSA.com and the new IMSA mobile app also provide live timing and scoring data from every on-track session, social media integration and up-to-the minute news coverage. IMSA.com will have a full-race replay of the Rolex 24 available on demand 24 hours after the Fox Sports telecast.

The 52nd Rolex 24 at Daytona kicks off the inaugural, 12-race Tudor Championship season. The race is the first of the four-race Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup.

The IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge also launches its 2014 campaign at Daytona International Speedway on Friday, Jan. 24. Fox Sports 2 will have same-day television coverage of the season opener at 6 p.m. ET.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140113/unitedsportscar/140119940

Watevaman

Hope it's cool to post this here, dunno if there's any drifting fans out there. My cousin recently earned his Formula D license (for a second or third time) and this time he's actually going to be participating as he wasn't quite ready to join the last few times he earned it. It's pretty cool to have someone in the family that's taking things to the big time and it's gonna be exciting to see how the season turns out for him.

Here's a few interviews:

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog...e-formula-drift-bound-with-a-mazda-interview/

http://vimeo.com/84502372

Hope you guys enjoy.

Shaneus

Why hello, 2014 thread.

This season I hope to add the Webber Endurance Championship to my usual nascar/f1/motogp/dtm watching habits.
Why hadn't I thought of that acronym earlier? Brilliant.

Should be edited into the OP as inconspicuously as possible ;)

Hope it's cool to post this here, dunno if there's any drifting fans out there. My cousin recently earned his Formula D license (for a second or third time) and this time he's actually going to be participating as he wasn't quite ready to join the last few times he earned it. It's pretty cool to have someone in the family that's taking things to the big time and it's gonna be exciting to see how the season turns out for him.

Here's a few interviews:

http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog...e-formula-drift-bound-with-a-mazda-interview/

Hope you guys enjoy.

Cool stuff. Good luck to him!

Chris R

Um I can't..Like I said I wasn't having a go, just saying as bike racing is a completely different world to car racing. I guess just seeing it lumped in with everything else when its motorcycles top tier event rustled my jimmies a little. Its no biggie, really

He's a junior... ;)

edit: beaten.

Ah, missed that sorry.

I'm sure someone here would post it for you though if you came up with something for them to put in the OP. I'd help, but I only see a few minutes of bike racing a year so I wouldn't feel comfortable being the thread creator.

Shaneus

Here's a few interviews:

Hope you guys enjoy.
Hey, I'm cool with it being posted in here if everyone else is. As long as you expect people to be noobish about it as I am about NASCAR ;) Good on him! Keep us posted.

God damn Zanardi. I fucking bawled my eyes out when watching him push that paralysed guy over the line at that cycling race a year or two ago. Incredibly inspirational guy. Again, post as much stuff about him in this thread as possible!

dubc35

Re: MotoGP |OT|, no issues here. If someone makes one, let me know and I will update the MotoGP and Isle of Man banners to link to the MotoGP |OT|.

Here's a few interviews:

Hope you guys enjoy.

Yeah no prob. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, will though!

Watevaman

Well looks like only the first 2 hours of the Daytona 24 are gonna be broadcast on my TV. Can't find the FOX sports channel and my dad doesn't want to watch it at a computer. :(

Arcticfox

I don't have Fox Sports 2, but I do have Fox Sports 1 (the channel formerly known as Speed) so at least I will get tomorrows TV coverage. The imsa website isn't clear whether the entire race will be streamed online or only the part that is not covered on TV.

Edit: Looks like they only have in-car camera streams while the race is on TV. Also the race was kicked off of Fox for a local college basketball game in my region. This may be the worst TV coverage this race has ever had.

Chris R

Racing season (for me at least!) has begun!

Nice that this is on Fox proper for a bit at least. Maybe get some more exposure to motorsports. And is the NA rule set (IMSA) finally matched to the Euro rule set (LeMan/FIA)? If not that is a mistake they should work on fixing, I'd love to see LeMan teams here and Rolex teams there.

edit: Position on the LED behind the wheel is pretty cool.

B.K.

The driver in that Daytona Prototype must be hurt pretty badly for them not to show any replays of the accident.

friday

Damn man, that is like Jeremy Dales and Fabrizzio Barbazzas crash in 1992 at Road Atlanta. I hope this turns out better than that accident.

Shaneus

Is this being streamed anywhere?

I'm not game enough to look at that video of the crash, it sounds morbid :( I hope everyone's okay.

Dave_6

That wreck was awful! I hope both drivers are okay. Been some good racing in the GT LM class so far, as usual.

Top Bottom