• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Split - OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some extreme chills
while I recognized the musical theme even after I initially thought it would be some kind of temp music usage because the production was low but then the movie continued to the news report and I was excited like a child.

Dipper145

I loved the movie even though the last part was lost on me due to obviously who remembers that kind of stuff after so many years? Even though the ending was completely lost on me, the rest of the movie more than made up for it.

Had to look up the ending because its an M Shamalynan movie and well he does twists. Read about it, thought it was pretty cool, and could see how people who had recently seen other things enjoying the surprise at the ending as well.

Just watched this movie right now and it was great.

Had no idea it tied into unbreakable until reading this thread and wow changes everything

I wonder if Shyamalan is a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They did do an episode about him. I just find it funny that the
perverted dark oneis named Dennis.
It's probably just a coincidence, but I like to think it's a nod.

Moff

I wonder if Shyamalan is a fan of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. They did do an episode about him. I just find it funny that the
perverted dark oneis named Dennis.
It's probably just a coincidence, but I like to think it's a nod.

he's definitely a fan of blade runner,
the beast was totally Roy Batty

ZOONAMI

Ok so I just watched this. Why the fuck are all you overselling this "twist."

That isn't a fucking twist at all. Just a stupid ass tie in to another movie that served 0 purpose.

I enjoyed the film, but there ain't no fucking crazy twist like y'all trying to sell.

Unless I'm just an idiot and there's more of a tie in that I just don't remember from unbreakable?

And yeah, for real what the fuck, this isn't tied to unbreakable in any way other than a Bruce Willis cameo and him mentioning Mr. Glass. Lame as fuck Imo. Y'all got me hyped for a mind blowing unpredictable twist and there's fucking nothing.

I quite liked Split but the potential for the sequel is so damn high.
Bring James Newton Howard back. The music swelling and then "They called me Mr. Glass." And Dunn climbing out of the pool. And choking out the orange man.

The Hermit

Huraay expanded universe.

Too bad the movie fell of a cliff in the 3rd part and the main character had no closure whatsoever.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Coming from a psychology background the third act of this movie really killed everything I liked about it even despite the "twist" at the end.

black_13

Banned
Loved it! Amazing that it works well on its own and then right at the end the movie takes you to a different direction.

Can't wait to see how he does the next movie.

I've never really hated an M night movie. Even at his worst he's movies are still more interesting to watch than most generic movies out there.

WoolyNinja

That isn't a fucking twist at all. Just a stupid ass tie in to another movie that served 0 purpose.

I enjoyed the film, but there ain't no fucking crazy twist like y'all trying to sell.

Unless I'm just an idiot and there's more of a tie in that I just don't remember from unbreakable?

And yeah, for real what the fuck, this isn't tied to unbreakable in any way other than a Bruce Willis cameo and him mentioning Mr. Glass. Lame as fuck Imo. Y'all got me hyped for a mind blowing unpredictable twist and there's fucking nothing.

Unbreakable was a superhero origin story, Split is a supervillain origin story in the same universe. Bruce Willis' character is going to have to take down The Beast

JdFoX187

Banned
My wife and I went and saw it opening weekend, expecting some dumbass twist that Anya Taylor-Joy would be the "beast," or that this was all in her head as a coping mechanism for something that happened to her. James McAvoy's performance was amazing and it really felt good to see M. Night Shyamalan return to form. I didn't care for The Visit as much as many.

But then,
that music kicked in.
I started bouncing in my seat, excitedly. My wife said I looked like one of her third grade students. I didn't care.
So when they showed Bruce Willis and he uttered that line at the end,
I lost my shit, as did many others in the theater. One of the best theater experiences I've had in several years.

The twist recontextualizes the movie into a super villain origin story, which is a first. It's great.

ZOONAMI

Unbreakable was a superhero origin story, Split is a supervillain origin story in the same universe. Bruce Willis' character is going to have to take down The Beast

but there isn't any guarantee of that happening, and that still isn't a twist at all. It's a cameo fan service connecting the two films on a meaningless level at this point, not an actual twist that has anything to do with the plot of either split or unbreakable. I just don't see why people are selling it as a twist. It isn't. And shyamalan having an 11 page outline for a sequel doesn't mean a split/unbreakable sequel is actually happening. Y'all getting pretty hyped over nothing at this point is all I'm saying

ZOONAMI

The twist recontextualizes the movie into a super villain origin story, which is a first. It's great.

a twist has to have an impact on the previous plot (that's why it's called a plot twist), this doesn't. Bruce Willis showing up doesn't really recontextualize it as a super villian origin story. It already was that, if there's a sequel. Bruce Willis showing up doesn't guarantee a sequel either.

gamz

It think the ending went over your head.

gamz

a twist has to have an impact on the previous plot (that's why it's called a plot twist), this doesn't. Bruce Willis showing up doesn't really recontextualize it as a super villian origin story. It already was that, if there's a sequel. Bruce Willis showing up doesn't guarantee a sequel either.

Your spoiler: But we don't know that until the ending.

gamz

but there isn't any guarantee of that happening, and that still isn't a twist at all. It's a cameo fan service connecting the two films on a meaningless level at this point, not an actual twist that has anything to do with the plot of either split or unbreakable. I just don't see why people are selling it as a twist. It isn't. And shyamalan having an 11 page outline for a sequel doesn't mean a split/unbreakable sequel is actually happening. Y'all getting pretty hyped over nothing at this point is all I'm saying

Read his Twitter it's happening.

ZOONAMI

It think the ending went over your head.

Nah, I just wouldn't call that a plot twist. Y'all had me stoked for an unpredictable mind blowing twist that actually relates to the plot of the movie. That's not what happened at all. I guess it's cool, but just not what I was hoping for as far as a twist goes.

Arttemis

Unbreakable is considered one of M's best movies and he's talked about doing sequels before. This new movie coming along and dropping that it's tied at the end was a pretty unexpected and awesome thing. It's only natural that fans react in such a way. It blew my mind

I wouldn't even call this movie a
sequel. It stands on its own, and just so happens to exist in the same universe as another movie.
. The movie to follow it will be
one sequel to two movies
. That's pretty cool.

JdFoX187

Banned
The ending -- whether you want to debate the semantics of calling it a twist or not -- contextualizes everything that happens in this movie. Without it, this is just a creepy thriller with a dude that has this weird power with his body. It's essentially no different than any other throwaway Blumhouse supernatural flick with a good performance from James McAvoy. But the ending places it in a much larger universe and you realize it's the origin story of a super villain from the perspective of a normal person on the ground -- something that's never really been done before.
That's why it's so engaging and interesting --
beyond the fan service.

ZOONAMI

Read his Twitter it's happening.

Alright cool, looks like he is making progress writing. Given the success of split I imagine it will happen.
Would be interesting if it is in fact framed as a sequel to both unbreakable and split, by calling it unbreakable: split 2 or unsplittable or something lol. Kind of hard to market one movie as a sequel to 2 movies that are unrelated to potentially a large part of the audience seeing the new film

I didn't watch Unbreakable so the entire movie was pretty meh for me. Aside from McAvoy's performance, I lost interest about half way through.

The writing was all kinds of terrible too.

Fitts

The movie was meh overall, but it did get some laughs out of me toward the end when it
(seemingly)
went off the rails and the final scene was hype in a
"remember that good thing I made that one time?"
kind of way.

wildfire

Banned
Finally saw this movie and it was solid and genuinely enjoyable throughout. On some level I didn't like the fact the trailers gave too much information (but it really did help sell the movie) and I disliked the 2nd twist because the way they segued into it was hamfisted (but I did love what it meant about the movie as a whole).

Overall McAvoy's performance and Mnight's directing carried this movie. Each personality McAvoy was played was fairly convincing and I could generally tell which character was manifesting. M Night though offered a movie that while generally weaker than his best was overall a much better movie for general audiences. He set up things such that you had to figure it out but he gave each clue a lot of focus. If a character verbally gave a clue he forced you to pay attention with a closeup and if he gave a non-verbal clue he let a scene play out a lot longer than he usually did in Sixth Sense or Unbreakable.

This dumbing down method hopefully gives it wider appeal because one of the things that made Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and even Signs better was that they were packed in with a lot more clue build up scenes so on some level watching Split was a more breezy and less heady experience. It's a strong indicator that M Night might be back to form and is capable of delivering more movies again.

Lastly I would like to add that a lot of people aren't giving Anya Taylor-Joy's performance enough credit. At first I was confused about her mannerisms but as her backstory developed and the first twist came into focus I was very pleased with being able to think back to past scenes and have a greater sense of who she was and the ending was very ambiguous about her growth and makes me hope for the best considering how Pyrrhic the end of her journey was.

lemmykoopa

I got the twist spoiled on me. Well kinda. I don't know how the twist plays out but I know who appears in the ending. Still worth watching?

Footos22

Please don't say happening and shyamalan in the same sentence.

tumblr_ljb5cxKqS11qixleeo1_500.gif

I loved split and the surprise ending but I kind of think everyone is just passing over the ending confrontation with the main girl. I love how that scene ended and thought M. Night did a fantastic job of 'resolving' that conflict. It was very effective.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just saw it. That wasn't a "twist" (reference to a semi-relevant movie from almost 20 years ago). In fact, that overreach sort of cheapened what I thought was a decent thriller and would have been better served without it.

This movie isn't worth it if a viewer is expecting a old-school shyamalan 'twist'. If you are expecting sixth sense level of revelation you will be completely let down. Just enjoy it for what it is.

No "twist": 6.5/10
"Twist": 2/10

Just watched it.

Whoa.

When that
fucking music kicked in
I got chills.

Goddamn.

He built up the perfect hero and the perfect villain. And it only took fifteen years. I mean that dialogue at the end:

"It didn't go through."

"We are what we believe we are."

"Holy shit, this is so cool. They're gonna believe we exist now, right?"

"They're gonna have to."

"So what do we do now?"

"We trust in him. He'll protect us."

"Look at what he can do. Let him show the world how powerful we can be."

That is some straight up comic book villainy.

malfcn

Just watched. Interesting thriller.
Never watched the twisted connection.

Now I suppose I shall. But it's not on Z Hulu, Amazon or Netflix.

Arkeband

Banned
I watched this the other day and I really enjoyed it.

However, the MC girl's
molestation
backstory was totally irrelevant to the main plot, and added literally nothing. Her friends were horribly acted and the twist was spoiled by months of headlines "asking" if it was a
sequel
(along with Shyamalan's tweets confirming it.)

The dungeon being
below a well trafficked zoo
made it retroactively less believable. Basically every reveal cheapened the film.

And yet, despite that, due to James McAvoy, it was hilarious and entertaining. And the fact that it was so hilarious, I don't think, was Shyamalan's intent. He basically accidentally made a good movie while still making a metric assload of terrible Shyamalan-esque mistakes.

Alright cool, looks like he is making progress writing. Given the success of split I imagine it will happen.
Would be interesting if it is in fact framed as a sequel to both unbreakable and split, by calling it unbreakable: split 2 or unsplittable or something lol. Kind of hard to market one movie as a sequel to 2 movies that are unrelated to potentially a large part of the audience seeing the new film
1. It IS a sequel to both. That's explicitly what he announced.
2. It's called Glass
3. Unsplittable? Are you a Hollywood producer??

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That was one of the craziest endings ever.

I'm glad he was able to do that in a good movie, too. It wouldn't have been as cool if it was during another The Happening tier movie.

DavidDesu

Girlfriend and I decided to watch this two nights ago. I was also surprised the secret was kept about the ending but sadly I was spoiled by the announcement the other day... Goddammit!

Overall decent film but I dunno if I missed something or if this film really is just setting up a lot for the next one. Seemed like a lot of stuff was set up that was in no way resolved by the end, or very vaguely resolved at best. Not sure how I feel about it. There wasn't really an "aha!" moment like I was expecting from M Night. Looking forward to the next one though and need to watch Unbreakable again now.

Slaythe

I was super late to the party.

I remembered nothing from the trailers, hadn't heard about any spoiler.

Loved the movie, thanks to compelling direction and extremely solid cast.

I kept trying to guess what the "twist" would be, then I gave up thinking there wouldn't be one but I was still expecting something.

Jumped out of my seat.

Extremely excited. Now let's pray Shyamalan doesn't lose his genius again for the next movie.

I watched this the other day and I really enjoyed it.

However, the MC girl's
molestation
backstory was totally irrelevant to the main plot, and added literally nothing.

What? You totally missed a huge part of this story my fellow GAFer.

The molestation backstory was the entire crux of the ending of the film, in two specific ways.

First of all, Casey's inability to pull the trigger on her uncle when she had the chance as a child has haunted her her whole life. As shown and implied throughout the film, she's withdrawn, depressed, and scared to take action to protect herself (refusing to help the other two girls in the beginning). Her growth as a character came full circle when she grabbed the shotgun on the end and was finally ready to pull the trigger. This was her breaking free of her abusive upbringing & moving on. That's why it's implied at the end that she won't be going back home with her uncle.

Second, her abuse and molestation as a child also led to cutting that was revealed when she finally took off her sweater at the end & showed her arms. This is what saved her life, as The Beast sees those that have gone through struggle and abuse, as he did, as "Pure". He spared her life because she had gone through pain, just as he did. McAvoy's character was originally only going to abduct the other two girls for sacrifice, but Casey tagged along at the last second because she needed a ride home. That's why he didn't immediately knock her out in the car. It's safe to assume that McAvoy's character stalked and researched the other two girls to make sure they were "impure" and never had any major pain in their lives, but Casey was an unknown to him.

The molestation backstory was the entire crux of the ending of the film, in two specific ways.

First of all, Casey's inability to pull the trigger on her uncle when she had the chance as a child has haunted her her whole life. As shown and implied throughout the film, she's withdrawn, depressed, and scared to take action to protect herself (refusing to help the other two girls in the beginning). Her growth as a character came full circle when she grabbed the shotgun on the end and was finally ready to pull the trigger. This was her breaking free of her abusive upbringing & moving on. That's why it's implied at the end that she won't be going back home with her uncle.

Second, her abuse and molestation as a child also led to cutting that was revealed when she finally took off her sweater at the end & showed her arms. This is what saved her life, as The Beast sees those that have gone through struggle and abuse, as he did, as "Pure". He spared her life because she had gone through pain, just as he did. McAvoy's character was originally only going to abduct the other two girls for sacrifice, but Casey tagged along at the last second because she needed a ride home. That's why he didn't immediately knock her out in the car. It's safe to assume that McAvoy's character stalked and researched the other two girls to make sure they were "impure" and never had any major pain in their lives, but Casey was an unknown to him.

This is the stuff that made the movie work for me in a really big way, being a
father myself the themes of child abuse
really hit me quite hard.

That was some potent stuff and damn, saved the movie from venturing into hammy/schlocky territory for me. I could care less about the reveal at the very end, and thought that maybe the movie would have been better off without it.

Literally just finished watching it and thought it was very solid, despite the few problems I had with it.

Jinaar

Also, I would like to add, at the end when
Casey is in the squad car at the end and the officer states her Uncle is there to pick her up, you can see it in her eyes that his days are numbered. She is no longer the girl she once was. She too, has evolved, as the Beast has.

This is really telling and to me, leads me to believe she may play a role in the next film, whether she helps the Beast or not. Maybe her story is done and it is left to our interpretation that going forward, she has the will to take back control of her life. I would like to see her back in the followup and play some role that the Beast help foster in SPLIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom