• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU games with Off TV Play

What the f?

There's Wii version AND Wii U version of virtual console? They are not the same thing? So the Super Mario World I bought for Wii VC will not be as featured as the one that will eventually come to Wii U VC (assume it will have Off-TV mode)???!
They may do like 3ds and "replace" it with the new versions as they release. Well, hopefully.

Assuming Nintendo will have a Wii U virtual console, the hope is that Nintendo will allow for the easy and free transfer of Wii-mode VC games to Wii U-mode, which will likely include things like the off-TV mode and maybe save states.

well, save states are presumably a memory dump that could be read on any system no matter the architecture. Nintendo tweak their emulators on a game by game basis, so presumably all that would be necessary would be to create a new emulator and it would be easy to maintain save states.

doesn't mean it will happen of course... but it's completely plausible that a game could make the transition from one to the other.

IrishNinja

I can understand why Wii and Wiiware wouldn't work, but no virtual console sucks.

it really does - holding off on some VC purchases just to make sure there's no 2013 side-hustle of "BUY THESE NEW VC RE-RELEASES: now bringing pad play + accomplishments" or something, heh

Ydahs

I'm in that denial stage where my brain has convinced itself that Nintendo will release an update that allows for VC games to be played on the 'Pad.

Very unlikely. It sounds like that the WiiU OS is not even loaded in RAM once Wii mode is running, similiar to how the 3DS OS isn't loaded when running DS games. For Wii VC games to work on the pad, they'll need to remodel Wii mode to support the gamepad's proprietary transfer protocol and then modify the VC emulators to support gamepad output. I very much doubt this will happen, as Nintendo probably sees it as too much work for little reward.

Hopefully they'll announce a WiiU VC soon which allows for gamepad play, since it'll actually be running off the WiiU OS.

deviljho

Some of the Nintendo Land mini-games also support off-TV play. Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest have been confirmed. Pikmin Adventure and Donkey Kong Crash Course seem likely.

That's a huge disappointment especially for VC stuff.

No one should expect any additional features from Nintendo with respect to BC. BC is BC and they haven't promised you anything more than to play old system games exactly like they played on the old system. Why don't we start expecting backwards compatibility from all platforms as much as Nintendo has been doing for a while?

And VC games will eventually get re-released for sale outside of Wii Mode, so there is no need to get all flustered. Now, whether you would need to rebuy or you could get a free upgrade is another story. It really isn't so easy to add gamepad support to the Wii VC. They already tried and it didn't work too great. They don't have infinite resources.

Ledsen

wait wait, isn't this built in to the system? As in, it works for all games (unless of course, they make special use of both the TV and gamepad at the same time)?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Technically I bet they can do it - the picture is still coming out of the WiiU so they should be able to redirect it.

Wii games would be clunky, at least those with pointer controls. So those might be limited by choice. But VC definitely should be possible.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Off TV really looks like Wii U's killer feature:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/13/wii-u-gamepad-console-gaming-with-no-tv-required/
Handheld gaming is certainly nothing new, but the ability to play full-fledged console games without hogging the TV is a surprisingly delightful feature we've become addicted to. Once you try it, you may begin to wonder how you lived without it.

http://kotaku.com/5960270/wii-u-could-be-the-perfect-console-for-people-like-me
The GamePad screen also seems designed to deliver a crisper, clearer display than your television, and unlike gaming with, say, an iPad for an extended period of time, playing with the Wii U's GamePad has yet to feel uncomfortable. [...]The most important feature of the Wii U—to me, and to other multi-taskers like me—might wind up being the one that makes it portable. If I can play great Wii U games while watching television, or while letting someone else watch television, or even while gaming on my Durango or Orbis, it could be exactly what I'm looking for.

wrowa

No one should expect any additional features from Nintendo with respect to BC. BC is BC and they haven't promised you anything more than to play old system games exactly like they played on the old system.

Technically true, but the thing is: Next to no one perceived the ability to play bought Virtual Console games as "backwards compatibility". When buying the games on the Wii Shop, most people assumed the Virtual Console would be one coherent service that Nintendo would offer over the next generations to come.

However, the reality is that it's not one coherent service, but that Nintendo starts a new Virtual Console every time they release a new console. You bought the games already on another Virtual Console? Well, you're out of luck, if you want to play the new version you've got to pay once again! This is not what many people thought they were buying into. Especially because the competition is, once again, two steps ahead of Nintendo in this regard. You don't see Sony requiring you to buy the PSone games you bought on the PS3 again if you want to play them on the PSP or Vita. Nintendo on the other hand? They don't give a flying shit whether or not you already own all of the NES games available on 3DS's VC on Wii. Buy again!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's important to note that, outside of Splitscreen multiplayer there hasn't been much talk on Black Ops' off screen play. If it supports online multiplayer and single player, It would definitely make me pick up another copy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
are we absolutely sure about the OP list?
AC3 sounds new to me, for example, while I was waiting for firm confirmation about Fifa (I'd be interested in this)

Great feature for me, I hope a lot of games (especially multiplatform, that don't base their core gameplay on indipendent windows as Zombi or Land) will implement this

deviljho

ninja edit: Nintendo just posted a mini-direct about Wii U VC. rebuy status still uncertain.

However, the reality is that it's not one coherent service, but that Nintendo starts a new Virtual Console every time they release a new console.

I'm a little perturbed that you only quoted part of what I wrote. Fact is, Nintendo hasn't announced anything yet. You're making an assumption based on what? 3DS and Wii Virtual consoles?

The first issue is that it appears that Nintendo has finally built a network with robust user accounts. And when the Wii U virtual console launches, Nintendo will have to figure out how linking your NNID to all of your devices produces what features. I already mentioned above that they will have to choose whether to force Wii VC users to rebuy, or if there will be a way of transferring.

Nintendo already said you can link all of your future hardware to one NNID. So the issue becomes, how will they let you manage your digital content. It's unfair to judge them based on how they did things with the Wii. Are they behind Sony and M$ with respect to network capabilities? Sure. But don't assume that they will try to screw you when they haven't announced that they want to screw you. They have a network now that will hopefully fix this.

The Hermit

GC + N64 + SNES games on the Gamepad and the system is perfect for me

I hope in the next year Nintendo unifies all eShop content ( WiiU and 3DS) so you can download it in any system and share between them. The fact that its called eShop in both systems gives me hope.

WiiWare and VC is its own thing right now and unfortunatly I don't think they can or will make those games playable on the pad, unless you buy the eShop version again...

Now that we know Nintendo is planning a Wii U VC with Gamepad support, what does everyone think? This would be a huge feature for me. I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Cat Party

This is an extremely compelling feature. Would love to be able to test this out at home, to see response time and range and all that.

Randdalf

I hope the WiiU Virtual Console will be pre-stocked with all the items from the Wii Virtual Console... it seems completely backward to have to restart the cycle over again. Then you should be able to transfer. I have a feeling they're overlooking the feature for now so they can get the console out on time.

Hopefully they'll announce a WiiU VC soon which allows for gamepad play, since it'll actually be running off the WiiU OS.

it really does - holding off on some VC purchases just to make sure there's no 2013 side-hustle of "BUY THESE NEW VC RE-RELEASES: now bringing pad play + accomplishments" or something, heh

already confirmed to be doing this

there will be a Wii-U Virtual Console as stated by Iwata in the latest Nintendo Direct

bounchfx

wow that actually makes me consider getting blops2 lol. I'm really, really, really, really disappointed that we can't take our VC games. WTF, really? I hope they wise up and have them available later. I know they want a reason for people to buy from the Wii U VC whenever and whatever that will be, but there's no good reason they can't transfer the other games forward and let us enjoy them on the pad. It's a crazy decision.

thanks for the list.

I had no clue that so many games allowed for off tv play. trine 2 is a must buy, I think I might also buy assassins creed 3 and trade in my xbox 360 copy. I haven't progressed far and the option to play it on the gamepad in bed is too tempting to pass up.

Well fuck, this is a killer feature for me, being able to play from the first floor of my house while the Wii U is in the basement will be a godsend. My gaming time will increase for sure.

Well fuck, this is a killer feature for me, being able to play from the first floor of my house while the Wii U is in the basement will be a godsend. My gaming time will increase for sure.

my worry is that developers, over time, won't bother implementing this feature. I hope that doesn't happen, but it's a distinct possibility if nintendo don't keep the pressure up by ensuring all their games offer the option and encourage developers to take advantage of it because it really is one of the biggest features of the console and quite revolutionary in a way.

my worry is that developers, over time, won't bother implementing this feature. I hope that doesn't happen, but it's a distinct possibility if nintendo don't keep the pressure up by ensuring all their games offer the option and encourage developers to take advantage of it because it really is one of the biggest features of the console and quite revolutionary in a way.

Such a balancing act right? We want them to use the screen for innovative things but also want them to be able to use it exclusively for the main game.

Tall order for developers, wouldnt want to be them.

Such a balancing act right? We want them to use the screen for innovative things but also want them to be able to use it exclusively for the main game.

I'd say it can go both ways. Have a game that can be played entirely with just the Gamepad screen, but still have extra features if you're using the Gamepad as just the controller. Batman AC AE is doing exactly this.

Flakster99

Now this is what I call a big-time feature.

Developers that make use of the gamepad for added gameplay features AND give us the option for off TV play will get my money. 3rd parties, make it work and do it. I won't say no to most games that uses this feature. You will get my money.

And for all that is holy and good, VC absolutely needs to be implemented. Not in 2 months. Not next year. A.S.A.P.

you're right, but I believe both ways are possible. as mentioned by thewesker, some games like arkham city offer both, so it does come down to how much effort the developer is willing to put into their game.

are they going to take the easy path and not allow it or will they make their games and thus more appealing by offering both a unique gamepad experience and off tv play.

it's not going to be easy, but I believe the benefits far outweigh any negatives if developers pull it off. they can't rest on their laurels like they did with the wii.

Drago

Epic Mickey 2 does NOT have Off-TV Play. That's why it's not in the Giant Bomb list. They announced it but then they backpedaled since they couldn't get it in in time apparently.

yup
So this doesn't have it and MSF HD does? I'll update right now

shira

I know they can't do wiiware games, but godangit they better do DS games with
top screen = tv
pad = bottom screen

KiNeSiS

Banned
It is definitely an appealing feature.
I wonder if they will ever make an HD screen revision. I would rather get a Vita & hope Sony can port the feature onto it. I would love to play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the toilet.

Hilti92

So a quick question.. Do you have to be within a certain range for this to work or can you start a game at home and take a bus somewhere and still be able to play the game on the gamepad?

So a quick question.. Do you have to be within a certain range for this to work or can you start a game at home and take a bus somewhere and still be able to play the game on the gamepad?

It's streaming from the console so you have to be within range

there's a severe lack in impressions in here. come on people, throw uk / eu members who won't get a wii u for another 11 days some crumbs.

how's off tv play? any lag issues? resolution problems? impressions, please.

Top Bottom