• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Been trying out all the telltale titles with free episode I's. Ugh...these really are terrible ports. Virtual joysticks should not exist in these type of games. Some anti- aliasing would be nice too.

. Do the other similar type of adventure titles like broken sword control like garbage too?

Really? I downloaded the S&M Ep 1 last night too, but haven't checked it out yet. It surprises me they would use a virtual joystick. Can't really see the sense in that, especially since the touch screen was made for these kinds of games. That sucks. Is there no way to change it in the options?

Ambitious

Both Monkey Island and Broken Sword are awesome. I personally like Monkey Island 1&2 better than the Monkey Island TALES games, simply because they're not made in 3D and have more of the original flair. But really, both Broken Sword and Monkey Island are awesome series and games and you can't go wrong. Personally, I think I enjoyed Broken Sword more, but that might only be because I already knew the Monkey Island games from playing them on PC :p

I love the Monkey Island and Broken Sword games but if you had to keep going to a guide and don't like doing that then you should probably skip them. Check out some of TellTale's stuff. Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 in particular are great.

Thanks. I'm gonna finish all my current games first, then buy Broken Sword, and I think I'll also get MI2 nevertheless.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Really? I downloaded the S&M Ep 1 last night too, but haven't checked it out yet. It surprises me they would use a virtual joystick. Can't really see the sense in that, especially since the touch screen was made for these kinds of games. That sucks. Is there no way to change it in the options?

No options to change controls as far as I can tell. Basically you tap the screen and hold it to make the joystick appear and you drag the joystick around to make your character move. Bleh...

Hector seems alright so far. At the very least it doesn't have the virtual stick.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For what it's worth, Monkey Island 2 is probably my favorite of the series. I love the ending but a lot of people seem to hate it.

4th is the best. I mean, a game that revolves around finding the "Ultimate Insult", how awesome is that. Plus, insult battles. Plus, an act titled "Act III+: Guybrush Kicks Unusually Large Butt" It's just.. oh god I'm having a nostalgia-flashback, so good. I want THAT on iOS, good thing it's just a matter of time, with 1&2 already out.

4th is the best. I mean, a game that revolves around finding the "Ultimate Insult", how awesome is that. Plus, insult battles. Plus, an act titled "Act III+: Guybrush Kicks Unusually Large Butt" It's just.. oh god I'm having a nostalgia-flashback, so good. I want THAT on iOS, good thing it's just a matter of time, with 1&2 already out.

I think you're the first person I've seen say that Escape is their favorite, haha.

Smiley90

I think you're the first person I've seen say that Escape is their favorite, haha.

Was expecting that :p But hey, I love ALL the games, it's really hard for me to really call any one my favourite. They're all classics.

EYEL1NER

Why don't more iOS games not get their own OT? Is there some rule that I'm unaware of?
I imagine people shitting all over the platform might dissuade some who would wish to make an OT. I mean, I enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom 2 and am happy I bought it, but I can perfectly see the game's faults and can get why people would not be happy over it. But instead of people entering the announcement thread and voicing skepticism before it came out and disappointment afterwards (which some people did in fact do), a lot of people just came in to say "Lol, touchpad gaming" or "Enjoy another shitty watered-down iOS game, like the other 99% out there."
The same thing happened in the 'Max Payne coming to iOS' thread. "Fuck this, touchpad controls are shit 100% of the time. So stupid for resources to get devoted to this." Clearly people enjoyed the game. I just saw someone talking on this page or the last about growing used to the controls and liking the game.
There are people out there who look for iOS threads so they can talk shit in them.

So I don't know for sure the reasons and I haven't ever seen a 'No iOS game OTs' rule. I wouldn't understand one existing either, because there are some top-notch gaming experiences to be had on iOS devices. If there was such a rule, then there might as well be a 'No indie game OTs' rule, if iOS games are somehow less of games than a major release. And I don't think any mods have a mentality like that, they seem like pretty bright people. But that mentality from some posters of 'Lawl, fucking casuals and their shitty phone games, ruining the industry' might be what put some people off OTs.

DR2K

Banned
I just feel like me (and a lot of other gamers) could be missing out on a few exceptional games that deserve more attention.

EYEL1NER

I just feel like me (and a lot of other gamers) could be missing out on a few exceptional games that deserve more attention.
I suppose another reason could be that there is a ton of iOS games and tons more coming out all the time. And people have a lot of favorites. So if everyone decided to make a thread for an iOS game they think is good, that's a ton of threads.

I don't know. I just check this thread, the iOS thread on CAG, and the Appshopper website for news, impressions, and sales.
I remember Tiny Tower having a thread that did well though. The thread is what got me to download and play it.

Flunkie

Banned
There's also one for Hero Academy. Though that game grew old for me rather quickly. I imagine the quantity of games that come out doesn't help. I mean, there's a Halo game once every 1-2 years and it's gonna have an OT. There's literally dozens of new apps out every week with a select few that probably deserve threads. But 2-3 iOS OTs a week? I think non-iOS GAF would have a fit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The threads would never last. They'd be 1-2 pages tops and would actually get way less attention for the game then just posting in here does.

ToxicAdam

If I want more in-depth discussion/reviews on iOS games, I just go to TouchArcade or JayisGames. They pretty much cover every release that is out there and have a user rating scheme that lets you know what the worthwhile games are.

Smiley90

Has anypne tried Conquest: Medieval Realms yet? Still waiting for any feedback on it, it looks interesting enough that I might just buy it if someone tells me it's not utter garbage. :/ The dev is on TA and said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Multiplayer is on the wish list but didn't make the cut for the first release.

It has a lot in common with board games. Turn based & hex based and could be really fun on the tabletop.

:? sounds good, and with multiplayer it will probably be great... :x

EDIT: Here's the link to TA with the dev: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2248368

EDIT2: Also, I like how the dev listens to feedback lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know what you mean about the UI but this was a style choice - maybe a bad one! I'll talk to the team and see if we can maybe have all units/buildings available and make buttons smaller. I really wanted pinch zoom in but the team ran out of time so we'll see what we can do.

Then not even 24h later:

I've talked to the team and we're looking at better ways to lay out the UI. It was designed with the phones in mind and not altered enough for the iPad with hindsight. I dont have an ETA but hopefully its not a huge task.

We're also exploring the multiplayer options. We're hoping to integrate the same PBEM++ server system we have in Battle Academy butt his is a bigger job. Saved games are also being looked at but again this is a big job.

Thanks again for all the support and keep the feedback coming as it really helps to know what you'd like to see.

I didn't even notice this was made by the same guys who also made the 20bucks-Battle Academy, which is supposedly really good.. mhmmmmmmmmm sounds like quality, TELL ME WHAT TO DO GAF

zoukka

After 100%'ing Kingdom Rush I'm suddenly without Kingdom Rush...

Are there any other games available with such deviously challenging difficulty level and great progression/tactical gameplay? Hero Academy I do own.

Can anyone help me with Dungeon Raid? I'm trying to unlock the classes-and I'm playing solely as adventurer-but it seems I'm no longer unlocking anything. This is the only class you can play as that unlIckes other classes right?

Smiley90

Can anyone help me with Dungeon Raid? I'm trying to unlock the classes-and I'm playing solely as adventurer-but it seems I'm no longer unlocking anything. This is the only class you can play as that unlIckes other classes right?

If you play adventurer, there is a (small) random chance you get a Trophy, with which you can unlock other classes.

If you play any other class, there is an equally small random chance to get a trophy, BUT because those other classes also level up (as opposed to the adventurer who can't level up), you might level up the class you're playing OR unlock a new class.

So if you're out to unlock other classes, playing adventurer is best, because trophy = new class. If you care less about unlocking classes and are okay with more time, but better scores/new experiences, pick any other class. You'll unlock all classes eventually too, it might just take more time. :)

If you play adventurer, there is a (small) random chance you get a Trophy, with which you can unlock other classes.

If you play any other class, there is an equally small random chance to get a trophy, BUT because those other classes also level up (as opposed to the adventurer who can't level up), you might level up the class you're playing OR unlock a new class.

So if you're out to unlock other classes, playing adventurer is best, because trophy = new class. If you care less about unlocking classes and are okay with more time, but better scores/new experiences, pick any other class. You'll unlock all classes eventually too, it might just take more time. :)

Seems like I'm not unlocking anything which is killing my patience. I just had my highest score yet and I didn't unlock shit.
9a85e8a7.jpg

Smiley90

Seems like I'm not unlocking anything which is killing my patience. I just had my highest score yet and I didn't unlock shit.
9a85e8a7.jpg

I've had 2 unlocks in a 10k run and 0 unlocks in a 15k run, it's really random. ;) Don't let it disheart you, just keep playing and enjoying :D I've unlocked all but 2 classes and it's come completely random, one time on an adventurer like 10minutes into the game, one time on a ranger like 4h in, it's completely random as far as I'm concerned. :D

NGKrush

Neo Member
@MDavis360:
don't play as human (the top left class with the door & fence in front) this is a beginner class that doesn't level-up.

the leveling actually isn't random and is based off your special monster kills, not the XP you gain in a single game. go for these special monster kills (there's even a trait and a skill to get them faster) and you'll level up in no time!

@MDavis360:
don't play as human (the top left class with the door & fence in front) this is a beginner class that doesn't level-up.

the leveling actually isn't random and is based off your special monster kills, not the XP you gain in a single game. go for these special monster kills (there's even a trait and a skill to get them faster) and you'll level up in no time!

But will I unlock other classes this way?

sladeums

Has anypne tried Conquest: Medieval Realms yet? Still waiting for any feedback on it, it looks interesting enough that I might just buy it if someone tells me it's not utter garbage. :/ The dev is on TA and said:

:? sounds good, and with multiplayer it will probably be great... :x

EDIT: Here's the link to TA with the dev: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2248368

EDIT2: Also, I like how the dev listens to feedback lol:

Then not even 24h later:

I didn't even notice this was made by the same guys who also made the 20bucks-Battle Academy, which is supposedly really good.. mhmmmmmmmmm sounds like quality, TELL ME WHAT TO DO GAF

There's another thread on there with people bitching because it crashes all the time, their career progress constantly resetting, and more interface complaints.

But apparently dev is presently working on the crashes and overhauling a UI that obviously is not well thought out for the format..

Looks pretty fun, if somewhat simple ... just be aware it has some issues ATM that may ultimately lead to your disappointment in the near term.

PittaGAF

Played all night Gene Effect.

It's SUPERB.
Highly recommended.

EDIT: other 2 hours in....WOW, just WOW.
It's getting pretty hard too.
Definitely one of the best looking game and a personal strong contender for my goty this year.

It's SUPERB.
Highly recommended.

Definitely one of the best looking game and a personal strong contender for my goty this year.

Is it a Metroidvania game? It sort of looked like it from the video, but then I saw someone mention there are levels and high scores and crap.

dream

After 100%'ing Kingdom Rush I'm suddenly without Kingdom Rush...

Are there any other games available with such deviously challenging difficulty level and great progression/tactical gameplay? Hero Academy I do own.

There's a game from the early days of iOS gaming called Defender Chronicles, which is fairly similar to Kingdom Rush.

If anyone is interested I am working more on my metroidvania game right now but also live on twitch tv, why you ask? well why not :p

I use MMF2 and the iOS exporter since I can't code but I know what i'm doing, used MMF for years and years.

http://www.twitch.tv/diabuk

If my pc crashes blame my capture card it likes to do that randomly.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's a game from the early days of iOS gaming called Defender Chronicles, which is fairly similar to Kingdom Rush.

Buzz for the sequel has been picking up too... A trailer is due this week, with a release later this month I believe! :) It's looking really good so far based on early screens and impressions.

dream

Buzz for the sequel has been picking up too... A trailer is due this week, with a release later this month I believe! :) It's looking really good so far based on early screens and impressions.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a sequel on the horizon. I just looked it up and it sounds incredible -- they're definitely pushing the game towards the RPG side of things.

I recently reinstalled the first game and it's amazing how well it holds up. Tons of content, great mechanics, and it almost feels like a spiritual prequel to Kingdom Rush at this point.

Screenshots for this are well shit but another decent block pushing game just went free. It's called Explodorum.

mzl.pzoyptdd.320x480-75.jpg

You have some bombs which you have to activate and then place onto some marked squares, and once you have an active bomb on each marked square the level is done. You activate a bomb by sliding it over two of those little squares with the red dots on, if you slide it over a third one though your bomb explodes and you lose.

GeekyDad

Is it a Metroidvania game? It sort of looked like it from the video, but then I saw someone mention there are levels and high scores and crap.

The actual gameplay does seem to have some of those elements, but it's definitely a mission-based game with scoring and whatnot tallied at the end of each mission.

Flunkie

Banned

It's SUPERB.
Highly recommended.

This is great news. When the iPad version comes out I'm all over it.

PittaGAF

I never played Metroid or Castlevania, but yes.
It's similar to Aquaria or Waking Mars. Exploration is the core of the gameplay (avoiding cave walls and hazards) while activating alien devices, gathering resources, etc....
It's divided in missions in different zones tough, so no huge continous world (the zones are linearly subsequent).
Some missions are pretty huge and long.
There are 'enemies', puzzles and the like...all wrapped up in a compelling story told reading starship logs and journal.
There are many secret zones too, optional (and pretty hard to spot).
At the end of each mission you are given a score depending how many resources you collected, collisions, time spent, relics found and so on...you can absolutely skip it as I do or you can replay those at will if you are a completionist.

So far I'm having a blast playing it and the story really picked up.
The only two flaws I found are the lack of multitask support and no device rotation.
The game loads freaking fast on iPhone 4S but the levels are so big I'm forced to block calls fearing some calls make me restart the mission.
I love to play with headphones so with no device rotation the headphone jack hamper my usual hands position.
Other than that I found the game awesome and if it will mantain this quality till the end will be surely a goty contender.
Technically is gorgeous, some vistas are absolutely stunning with tons of nice little touches (the little lightbeam on the waterfall fog, the lightings, the devices....).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Last night I apparently had too much ambien and ended up buying $30 worth of Apple's productivity software at 4am... So if anyone ever wants impressions of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, let me know. :/

GeekyDad

Don't normally go in for those arena-action games, but ugh, Spellsword is ridiculously addictive and fun. The collision could use a few tweaks, but great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom