• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

TehOh

ok, i'm a bit confused now.

Say i currently have a 32gb card in my 3ds and I want that in my XL.

Would I need to:
- copy 32gb stuff to the old 2gb card.
- put in 3ds.
- stick 32gb card in XL.
- do transfer thing.

Or am I thinking this wrong?

No, you're doing too much. You:
- Leave 32 gb card in old 3DS
- Do transfer thing
- Stick 32 gb card in new 3DS XL

The transfer tool even tells you when to move the SD card over.

rpmurphy

Javier

Here's the whole process step-by-step from Nintendo:

www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/ht_system.jsp

Description:

Step by step instructions for how to transfer data from one Nintendo 3DS to another Nintendo 3DS.

Important Notes!

An active internet connection is required to process the transfer.
Plugging in the system is not required to proceed.

What To Do:

Source System

From the HOME Menu tap the System Settings Icon and then "Open."

Tap "Other Settings."

Tap "3" and then "System Transfer."

Tap "Transfer from Nintendo 3DS."

Read the information about the transfer and tap "Agree"

The number of transfers will display. Tap "Yes" to initiate the transfer.

Tap "Send from This System."

Target System

From the HOME Menu tap the System Settings Icon and then "Open."

Tap "Other Settings."

Tap "3" and then "System Transfer."

Tap "Transfer from Nintendo 3DS.

Read the information about the transfer and tap "Agree"

The number of transfers will display. Tap "Yes" to initiate the transfer.

Tap "Receive from Nintendo 3DS."

Source System

Select the system that will receive the transfer.

Target System

Tap "Yes" to accept the transfer.

Source System

Read the transfer information and tap "Next" to continue.

Tap "Yes" to confirm.

Tap the blue "Transfer" button to continue.

Target System

Tap "Delete" to confirm deletion of all Nintendo 3DS data on the target system's SD Card. Tap the blue “Delete” button to begin the transfer.

If "Do Not Delete" is selected, the Target system will request to perform the transfer without deleting the Nintendo 3DS data on the SD Card. Tap "Yes" to begin the transfer.

When the transfer is complete, tap "OK" to restart the system.

Source System

Remove the SD Card from the source system as it will now be used in the target system.

greg400

Banned
So I take it there's no point in waiting for a regular size redesign? From the looks of it the battery life won't be improved any time soon and the only thing that really changed was the location of certain indicator lights.

Truth101

Banned
So I take it there's no point in waiting for a regular size redesign? From the looks of it the battery life won't be improved any time soon and the only thing that really changed was the location of certain indicator lights.

Yup. Maybe in a couple of years.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Question:

when you have finished all this passes,
can you pass the contents of the original (2 GB) to the one that comes with the XL (4 GB)?

Yup, at that point you can simply use a PC to copy and paste the 2GB card contents to the 4GB.

You can also do this before the transfer. Doesn't matter.

Chopper

oh. so the transfer thing doesn't literally copy over all the files. Got it.
Ah, I see. This is what was confusing me. I didn't understand how it would work if there wasn't enough space on the 3DS I was transferring to. It just sort of "converts" everything on your current SD card to the new system. That's even more clever than I imagined!

So... how does the 3D look? Were you wowed the first time you saw it? Does it look like watching a 3D movie with the red and blue glasses? This will be my first time playing a 3DS, so I don't know.

Or is it just gimmicky you can just leave off?

From personal experience I would advise to not overdo it at first.
I got some blurred vision and problems focusing for the first week because I absolutely overdid it.

The 3D is nice, as long as you can stay in the sweetspot, which becomes second nature after a few uses. Most games get an extra layer of depth and it really feels more natural to view the games in 3D. At least for me, I rarely ever turn the 3D off anymore.

Salsa

I was confused by your post at first, but it did remind me how much stupid fun Let's Tap is. I should play that with some friends again.

Fun fact: the stickman racing game in Let's Tap is probably up there with my most played Wii games ever.

We were fucking addicted to it with a friend. Too bad the other games kinda sucked.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Fun fact: the stickman racing game in Let's Tap is probably up there with my most played Wii games ever.
I knew there was a reason I liked you.

From personal experience I would advise to not overdo it at first.
I got some blurred vision and problems focusing for the first week because I absolutely overdid it.

The 3D is nice, as long as you can stay in the sweetspot, which becomes second nature after a few uses. Most games get an extra layer of depth and it really feels more natural to view the games in 3D. At least for me, I rarely ever turn the 3D off anymore.
Agreed. I love picking my 3DS up after a few days or so of not playing it, because it never ceases to 'wow' me every single time I see the 3D without glasses.

I think I personally get so excited over glasses-free 3D because I casually researched its possibility for a solid year, before the original DS even came out. It's still a technical marvel, and to me, literally a dream come true.

I guess there are people who are underwhelmed at the idea of a holographic, 3D screen in the palm of their hands, but I don't know how they can be. I understand that the iPhone 4S (and even just its ultra-high dpi screen) are technically more impressive than autostereoscopic screen, but I'll be damned if there isn't something just a tad magical about full-motion 3D renders with the naked eye.

Am I alone in this, or does anyone else get a serious tech-boner over their 3DS screen?

Mistle

I absolutely love 3D screens, especially glasses-less. I feel a lot of people take it for granted, but it still feels so "futuristic" to me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Are these region locked? Could I import a white one and still go digital distribution only? I know the dsi is weird about EShop downloads and regions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is DS/DSi pretty much dead in Nintendo's eyes? My kids both have DS lites and I'm considering trading in my 3DS for the XL. But if Nintendo probably won't release any new games on the DS, I might think about keeping hold of the 3DS for them to use. Probably wouldn't get much for a trade-in anyway.

also considering holding off until launch and trying one out in a shop to see how much difference the larger screen makes - generally and for the 3D effect/sweetspot, I really want the sweetspot to increase if possible, thats my biggest problem with the 3DS

Tyeforce

Is DS/DSi pretty much dead in Nintendo's eyes? My kids both have DS lites and I'm considering trading in my 3DS for the XL. But if Nintendo probably won't release any new games on the DS, I might think about keeping hold of the 3DS for them to use. Probably wouldn't get much for a trade-in anyway.

also considering holding off until launch and trying one out in a shop to see how much difference the larger screen makes - generally and for the 3D effect/sweetspot, I really want the sweetspot to increase if possible, thats my biggest problem with the 3DS
I'm sure Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 will be Nintendo's last DS games. After that, there's probably only going to be crappy licensed games and other shovelware on DS. So if you care about new releases, 3DS is the way to go.

Might get one or a Vita, not sure yet, Vita is more attractive tech wise, but 3DS has some nice games.

Yeah I'm in this boat too. I would really like something for the train but I just can't decide.
I had a DS but sold that, I really need someone to make up my mind for me on this, perhaps it's a sign that I should just not get a handheld at all. Blehhh

NoA just reinstated my Ambassador games and gifted me $40 to rebuy my eShop content! NoA is a pretty cool guy, he kicks ass and makes games and doesn't afraid of anything.

Looks like I'll be getting a 3DS XL come Black Friday!

Rich!

IGN actually has a pretty good article about the XL up at the moment:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/25/breaking-down-nintendos-3ds-xl

Most important part IMO, is this:

ScreenSizeInline.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
That looks awesome to me. If that's truly representative of the jump then that validates my decision to purchase pretty nicely.

Rich!

That looks awesome to me. If that's truly representative of the jump then that validates my decision to purchase pretty nicely.

Yeah, it most definitely is. They've worked it out correctly.

It REALLY puts the size difference into perspective, and is the single best thing I've seen so far to promote the 3DS XL above the original.

Shiggie

Yeah, it seems like nintendo was actually waiting on a larger affordable 3D screen. The XL seems to be the 1:1 native resolution.

Rich!

I just can't wait to play through Ocarina of Time on this thing.

With that screen size and the wider FOV given by the 3D effect, it's going to be immersive as hell.

RPGCrazied

Top Bottom