• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

3ds-xl-fix.png

Just testing what the concave shape on the lid would look like. I think it makes it look much nicer. I don't like the idea of there being a gap for junk to get in between the screens.

Does anyone else get this effect where the 3DS screen seems much bigger when the 3D is on? Whenever I play it, if I get into a game, say play Mario Kart for like a half hour or something, than turn the 3D off, all of a sudden it hits me how tiny the screen is.

I think the depth makes it seem like the screen is bigger than it really is somehow. I'm guessing as long as the resolution isn't too annoying games are really going to draw you in on this thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does anyone else get this effect where the 3DS screen seems much bigger when the 3D is on? Whenever I play it, if I get into a game, say play Mario Kart for like a half hour or something, than turn the 3D off, all of a sudden it hits me how tiny the screen is.

I think the depth makes it seem like the screen is bigger than it really is somehow. I'm guessing as long as the resolution isn't too annoying games are really going to draw you in on this thing.
Yep, and that's what excites me about the XL, despite its excessive size. I can't help but thinking 3D will be immersive as hell on this screen.

Symphonic

That's because it is bigger. Technically.

Twice the resolution when turned on. You can see stuff on the sides of the screen with 3D on that you can't with 3D off. Gives you a wider viewing angle, essentially. There was a cool article on this when the 3DS first came out.

Izayoi

Banned
That's because it is bigger. Technically.

Twice the resolution when turned on. You can see stuff on the sides of the screen with 3D on that you can't with 3D off. Gives you a wider viewing angle, essentially. There was a cool article on this when the 3DS first came out.
Science.

japtor

Yeah the bottom blue does look better.

Guess we will find out once hands-on videos come out.
You'll still have an issue with differing calibration and stuff. Light can be a pain too, different lighting (like sunlight vs flourescent or warm vs cool) can affect the apparent color significantly.

goomba

Banned
Initially i didn't care about the lack of the second slide pad but after looking at more photos it does bug me because there is plenty of space for one.

Though maybe they decided they didn't want to have to move the face buttons down ala wii u design. I bet they tried some prototypes... Perhaps it's also a way to discourage console ports ?

2MF

I am a bit excited about pre-ordering this, but now I'm reading that here in Europe the charger is not included? Isn't this a bit cheap Nintendo?

I have a DS lite, but I've read people saying that this charger is not compatible...

Rich!

I am a bit excited about pre-ordering this, but now I'm reading that here in Europe the charger is not included? Isn't this a bit cheap Nintendo?

I have a DS lite, but I've read people saying that this charger is not compatible...

The DS lite one isn't compatible.

I just brought a £1.50 DSi/3DS usb charging cable from Amazon. That'll do fine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

DSi onwards. What annoys me is the cradle being separate. I don't need another charger, but that hump of plastic is pretty useful.

Billy Lee

That's true for me too. I was playing Mario 3D Land and got really immersed in it. It was only after I stopped playing that I remembered that the screen is actually small. It seems so much bigger when you're playing in 3D.

Rich!

That's true for me too. I was playing Mario 3D Land and got really immersed in it. It was only after I stopped playing that I remembered that the screen is actually small. It seems so much bigger when you're playing in 3D.

Pilotwings Resort is the best example of this. Playing it in 2D without the added depth or wider FOV completely impacts on the game - in a bad way.

ksimm

I really need to see this thing in action, especially for DS games. I could sell my 3DS and my beloved DSi for this if it ticks all the boxes visually.
Come on Amazon, drag those prices down.

Utako

Banned
That has to be bullshit. I don't remember my DSL lasting anywhere near 15 hours. It was more like 8 hours, and that was on the second or third brightness level out of four.
It's fairly accurate to my experience. I was stunned, because I would get through most of a game before I had to recharge. I would think "Good old Nintendo, they know what's important in a handheld. :)"

Well, they did know.

Those packaging images from the white and grey (/silver?) 3DS XL look pretty amazing. I think I actually like the grey/silver one a tad more, which is got considering that the white one won't be there at release in Yurop.

Edit: Interestingly enough what's bugging me the most is that I won't have this cradle thing. Initially I thought it's pretty much useless, but once I had it it was pretty convenient to get the 3DS back on it once you are finished played. Well, to be fair, party it's so useful because the battery life is so abysmal in standby mode.

hwy_61

Banned
I really need to see this thing in action, especially for DS games. I could sell my 3DS and my beloved DSi for this if it ticks all the boxes visually.
Come on Amazon, drag those prices down.

Are you talking about the third-party sellers' prices? Because I don't think Amazon really has any control over that.

Looks like they've stopped it to me.

ZKGqb.png

Now that the plastic/rubber stoppers are resting directly on the raised bezel, I don't see how that raised bezel can come in contact with the top screen now.

Holy shit!

This is hilarious and hadn't seen it yet

It's like ...it's like a DIRECT response lol

2MF

So we still dont know how much will it cost in Europe? :(

I pre-ordered it on Amazon.de for 200 € which is cheaper than Amazon UK (180 £ = 223 €). But I'm ready to cancel my pre-order at any moment depending on the prices other sites get...

Rich!

Wait, seriously? Is there a source for this? Suddenly I feel $200 struggling to escape from my pockets.

EDIT: Found the info on a few Nintendo websites, this is great news!

Done it twice now. My 3DS is currently called Katie - yeah, it even transferred the name of my sisters console, leaving her with a factory default one.

Edit - maybe that's just Mario kart though when I use her copy...ah well.

jonno394

I'm tempted, but I really want the solid white one in the UK, so i'm just gonna wait until that finally gets released, if it's any later than Xmas 2012 i'll bite for another variant though.

Done it twice now. My 3DS is currently called Katie - yeah, it even transferred the name of my sisters console, leaving her with a factory default one.

Edit - maybe that's just Mario kart though when I use her copy...ah well.
Interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that stuff like the Activity Log wasn't currently transferable from one 3DS to another. Glad I'm wrong!

Top Bottom