• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do women see extremely muscular men the same way men see anorexic women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This is the body that I'm aiming for:

l_916c0be4ad5c4badaa6a22f8eb287a86.jpg

You guys think I'll pick up an Amber Rose?

I think part of its just the way they are. You gotta be pretty tough to get in there and do what they do. Though if we have any rugby players here then I'd love to know as well.

A lot of us like this bro-science workout plan that has to do with power-building (strength + bodybuilding). Other than that, we just do a bunch of cardio and sacrifice our bodies for our teammates.

For the past seven months, I've returned after a three year break (read: slack off) to working out regularly and eating lean. I'm quite close now to having pretty much my ideal body, but the direction of change has definitely given my girlfriend some concerns. I'm a far, far, far cry from being "big" (been focusing on dropping body fat for the most part), and she thinks I look good right now, but she keeps warning me against getting any bigger or getting my body fat much lower. Her preferred body type is probably skinny though, if anything.

Have tried to explain to her that you don't get bigger without specifically trying to, but I guess maybe even as diminutive as I am I'm seen to be approaching her threshold for size.

glaurung

Modern bodybuilding is all kinds of fucked up - to be honest.

The genuine perfect body is not the horribly boosted IFBB professionals that we see every day. They have foregone the Roman ideal in favor of freakish mass and bulk, whereas the goal should be to emphasize proportions.

Mr.City

I can't believe it took me this long, but I finally figured it out. Most people don't give a fuck about their health (until something health-related comes up, then it gets really important in a hurry). They want to get the lean muscle, which doesn't make any sense since "lean muscle" isn't really a term. Lean usually refers to body fat%, not muscle size.

Most guys just want to look like the guy on the TV or on the magazine or like that one actor in that movie. Who gives a fuck about function when you work in an office all day and have things like cars and delicious, inexpensive food?

s a weightlifter, im struggling to understand some of these examples of muscular bodies

Secondly I have no idea why guys who have no will, ambition or mental staying power to get big are dictating what's too big or not

Ryan Renolds is a skinny but lean guy, at my gym he would be considered a beginner. But I guess that depends on your goals

Bigger is better IMO, fucknwhst women think. Do it for yourself, not for anyone else.

One of the best quotes in the thread. Many men train for women, who themselves have no idea how to train. The biggest thing to ponder is why do some men feel the need to physically shape their body into a image that they think will please women. Having a working dick, not being a fat, smelly slob, and not being a sociopath usually get the job done.

One of the best quotes in the thread. Many men train for women, who themselves have no idea how to train. The biggest thing to ponder is why do some men feel the need to physically shape their body into a image that they think will please women. Having a working dick, not being a fat, smelly slob, and not being a sociopath usually get the job done.

You would think so but you gotta have a nice body especially if you live around a beach.

Or what? Exile?

I wonder how many people in this thread lift weights.
Damn man, you're getting awfully defensive. The posts in this thread are just opinions, not facts. Chill...

And if it helps, I damn sure wouldn't consider Reynolds a beginner in the gym, but the ones that are calling him that are huge from what I remember (I at least remember shogun's pic before his huge test), so you guys are the experts

I train because i have no personality.

j/k

I can't believe it took me this long, but I finally figured it out. Most people don't give a fuck about their health (until something health-related comes up, then it gets really important in a hurry). They want to get the lean muscle, which doesn't make any sense since "lean muscle" isn't really a term. Lean usually refers to body fat%, not muscle size.

Most guys just want to look like the guy on the TV or on the magazine or like that one actor in that movie. Who gives a fuck about function when you work in an office all day and have things like cars and delicious, inexpensive food?
Hahaha! You act like having a body anywhere near similar to Ryan Reynolds' is unhealthy or somehow even CLOSE to not being "functional". What are you smoking man?

We all get it, you go to the gym, that's your hobby and arguably your passion. You keep telling yourself how much better of a human being you are because you can dead lift a stuffed filing cabinet or console in your theory that you'll live years longer than the guy who's body fat is 3% higher than yours. When the apocalypse comes, you and Mecha_Infantry's gym buddies can go out and scavenge the wastelands, carry heavy weapons, and beat up mutants for us weaklings who can't quite leg press 3 times our body weight.

At some point you'll finally figure out, much like you figured this out, that after a certain point simply building bulk muscle mass is no longer a benefit to your health and, for most people (all those dolts who work in offices no doubt) not even a benefit to practical function. If someone wants to shape their body into the ghastly "beginner" tone of someone like Reynolds or Gosling than they may as well just let themselves rot.

agrajag

Banned
Hahaha! You act like having a body anywhere near similar to Ryan Reynolds' is unhealthy or somehow even CLOSE to not being "functional". What are you smoking man?

We all get it, you go to the gym, that's your hobby and arguably your passion. You keep telling yourself how much better of a human being you are because you can dead lift a stuffed filing cabinet or console in your theory that you'll live years longer than the guy who's body fat is 3% higher than yours. When the apocalypse comes, you and Mecha_Infantry's gym buddies can go out and scavenge the wastelands, carry heavy weapons, and beat up mutants for us weaklings who can't quite leg press 3 times our body weight.

At some point you'll finally figure out, much like you figured this out, that after a certain point simply building bulk muscle mass is no longer a benefit to your health and, for most people (all those dolts who work in offices no doubt) not even a benefit to practical function. If someone wants to shape their body into the ghastly "beginner" tone of someone like Reynolds or Gosling than they may as well just let themselves rot.

Can you write a book? Cause I would read the shit out of it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn man, you're getting awfully defensive. The posts in this thread are just opinions, not facts. Chill...

And if it helps, I damn sure wouldn't consider Reynolds a beginner in the gym, but the ones that are calling him that are huge from what I remember (I at least remember shogun's pic before his huge test), so you guys are the experts

Beginner in the idea of strength training, yes. That was Mecha's point. But I doubt Ryan Renolds considers himself a "strong" guy or a strength athlete.

As has been pointed out a few times these bodies that are mostly being posted are not "muscular" builds they are products of very low body fat and a modest amount of muscle.

I'm not taking anything away from them, it's no doubt hard to maintain that level of body fat, however, the "idea" that that type of body is "built, jacked, etc" is a bit absurd to those of us vocalizing it, because those guys aren't very muscular at all.

That said, that pic of Renolds compared to "fight club" or "Snatch" Brad Pitt is much more impressive from a "muscle" stand point IMO.

THAT is a good build, also, this.

LeanJimWEndler.jpg

Now that I'm strong as hell, this is what I'm going for aesthetically.

I've always wondered is it harder to find clothes that fit and look right when you start approaching that level of size? Seems like everything is made for the soccer body type guys that were posted.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've always wondered is it harder to find clothes that fit and look right when you start approaching that level of size? Seems like everything is made for the soccer body type guys that were posted.

Pants can be a pain in the ass even for an intermediate lifter. Squats/deads dramatically increase the size of your legs/ass and while the waist can be loose enough the legs are tight as hell. A lot of us in the fitness thread have this issue. X-Frame is notorious for needing new pants, haha. As for upper body, it's not really an issue. Large, X-Large shirts work fine. For the record I bench near 400, squat near 500, deadlift over 500 and military press around 250 and my pant size is 36 (sometimes need 38s for my legs) and my shirts are X-large.

This is what I look like right now, and I'm working on reducing body fat right now mostly.

Another pic in workout clothes

IceCold

Pants can be a pain in the ass even for an intermediate lifter. Squats/deads dramatically increase the size of your legs/ass and while the waist can be loose enough the legs are tight as hell. A lot of us in the fitness thread have this issue. X-Frame is notorious for needing new pants, haha. As for upper body, it's not really an issue. Large, X-Large shirts work fine.

I already have this problem and I'm a skinny mofo due to doing SS. Chicks love the ass though. There was a time when I could wear skinny jeans, but not anymore.

Zoe

You've read the title of this thread, right? And you realize that several posts in this thread are, in fact, from women, right?

I don't recall a single post from a woman in here who would go for the body builder.

Pants can be a pain in the ass even for an intermediate lifter. Squats/deads dramatically increase the size of your legs/ass and while the waist can be loose enough the legs are tight as hell. A lot of us in the fitness thread have this issue. X-Frame is notorious for needing new pants, haha. As for upper body, it's not really an issue. Large, X-Large shirts work fine. For the record I bench near 400, squat near 500, deadlift over 500 and military press around 250 and my pant size is 36 (sometimes need 38s for my legs) and my shirts are X-large.

This is what I look like right now, and I'm working on reducing body fat right now mostly.

Another pic in workout clothes

Damn. Are you military or something? I only started lifting and can only do a little less than a quarter of what you currently lift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn. Are you military or something? I only started lifting and can only do a little less than a quarter of what you currently lift.

Ex-Military, but I didn't lift in the military, I was a runner. This is going to piss you off, but I've only been lifting for a little under 2 years now. The common accepted theory is that I have freak genes.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/22757_1325286343192_4551310_n.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208545_1008384460843_9718_n.jpg
That's me in my running shape.

Ex-Military, but I didn't lift in the military, I was a runner. This is going to piss you off, but I've only been lifting for a little under 2 years now. The common accepted theory is that I have freak genes.

Oh that's awesome. I'm not expecting to lift weights for 3 months and look like the folks in these pictures here. I'm giving myself a bit over a year, cutting crappy carbs out and replacing with better ones. Congrats on your new look!

I also find that the big guys at my gym are often the friendliest and chattiest about giving awesome advice, especially when it comes to form spotting.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh that's awesome. I'm not expecting to lift weights for 3 months and look like the folks in these pictures here. I'm giving myself a bit over a year, cutting crappy carbs out and replacing with better ones. Congrats on your new look!

I also find that the big guys at my gym are often the friendliest and chattiest about giving awesome advice, especially when it comes to form spotting.

Yeah, that will go either one way or the other. There's always one douche in the group.

Keep at it, it's well worth it, and thanks!

No joke, Shogun is a beast. I think he looks a lot better now then he does in those pics.

lol I'm not huge at all but I do a lot of leg exercises and it's annoying sometimes. 24" thighs and 30" waist iirc. I can't imagine even pursuing most clothing if I had a bodybuilder shape.

Takes one to know one. ;)

Appreciate it.

tumblr_m2aip7E2Hj1qfp32q.gif

Back on topic, first and foremost, you lift to improve upon yourself and then go from there. On the road to getting bigger and stronger, or even leaner, I tend to have body issues. I think I'm too fat or too skinny, depending on my goals. I have to just push that out of my mind, know my limits and try to go past them when I can.

For me and others, lifting is an outlet. Something new to achieve and try to reach. I encourage everyone to try it. You can be surprised at how quickly you can be addicted to this.

I've been fairly addicted to push-ups lately and feel that the more I stress my abs to lock those push-ups in, the harder they are.

It took me a long while to realize that form is key and not the number of reps. Took me 15 push-ups with correct form compared to doing 50 of them fast to realize the big difference.

As a guy though, I prefer my woman to have some musculature in her now that I see fitness on a whole different level.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2aip7E2Hj1qfp32q.gif

Back on topic, first and foremost, you lift to improve upon yourself and then go from there. On the road to getting bigger and stronger, or even leaner, I tend to have body issues. I think I'm too fat or too skinny, depending on my goals. I have to just push that out of my mind, know my limits and try to go past them when I can.

For me and others, lifting is an outlet. Something new to achieve and try to reach. I encourage everyone to try it. You can be surprised at how quickly you can be addicted to this.
I gotta agree with this post 100%, but trying to convince someone is a pain in the ass. There's always some random ass excuse that makes no sense, but is enough for them to not bother.

Mr.City

You're putting words in my mouth. Ryan Reynold is a guy with low fat that works out. You can get there with diet and a smart routine. That's it. Fuck, he probably has a staff that takes care of the diet and programming part for him. I'm not impressed.

I can tell that you don't know what you're talking about. First, lifting weight doesn't fall under this catch all category of bodybuilding. Second, like anything physical adaption, diminishing gains will hit you like a motherfucker. You'll struggle more with the anabolic ceiling before you gain enough muscle mass where it will begin to affect your health...unless you're genetically freaky or have been taking your "vitamins."

No duh. Generally, when one argues his opinion, someone else's opinion may conflict with it and will give way to a debate.

You've read the title of this thread, right? And you realize that several posts in this thread are, in fact, from women, right?

I don't recall a single post from a woman in here who would go for the body builder.

You also realize that the other 99% of the posts here are from men (many of whom don't seem to work out), right? Also, while we're at it, why do a few posts from women on the internet determine what is the ultimate truth of perfect male body type?

Don't get me wrong; I like looking good for women, hence the reason I like to shower and wear nice clothes on a date. However, building one's exercise and dietary routines around the idea of constructing the physique that you think all women want is Goober-level shit.

Most women don't really know anything about working out because most of them don't care about it., and since relationships will come and go, why not have the body that you will enjoy?

You also realize that the other 99% of the posts here are from men (many of whom don't seem to work out), right? Also, while we're at it, why do a few posts from women on the internet determine what is the ultimate truth of perfect male body type?

Don't get me wrong; I like looking good for women, hence the reason I like to shower and wear nice clothes on a date. However, building one's exercise and dietary routines around the idea of constructing the physique that you think all women want is Goober-level shit.

Most women don't really know anything about working out because most of them don't care about it., and since relationships will come and go, why not have the body that you will enjoy?

Thead asking what do women think about a particular type of body.

Who cares about what women think lol

That guy is fat in the pic. Just another bald tattoo'd dude. Oh, and he has no abs.

My hair is awesome. It's so thick my barber charges me double. I can barely get a comb through it; I love my hair.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You're putting words in my mouth. Ryan Reynold is a guy with low fat that works out. You can get there with diet and a smart routine. That's it. Fuck, he probably has a staff that takes care of the diet and programming part for him. I'm not impressed.

I can tell that you don't know what you're talking about. First, lifting weight doesn't fall under this catch all category of bodybuilding. Second, like anything physical adaption, diminishing gains will hit you like a motherfucker. You'll struggle more with the anabolic ceiling before you gain enough muscle mass where it will begin to affect your health...unless you're genetically freaky or have been taking your "vitamins."

No duh. Generally, when one argues his opinion, someone else's opinion may conflict with it and will give way to a debate.

Frankly slightly cheeky question: would you be happy with women having a body that they enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom