• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good choice. Every single one of your recent games failed to meet your expectations but just go all mighty with your most risky title.

How can you be like that ?

You can't pretend everything is fine if you don't keep saying that everything is going great.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Good choice. Every single one of your recent games failed to meet your expectations but just go all mighty with your most risky title.

How can you be like that ?

That's exactly why it's they're only potential for growth and to assuage shareholder fears. If that rug is pulled there really isn't much left.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They are raising expectations but not actually saying what those expectations are.

Capcom's in a rough spot. They probably know that realistic expectations would put massive question marks on the whole point of this project. However over promising will just make a crash down even bigger if it occurs but those dreams are likely why the project was even green-lit.

Basically from an outside perspective this is an awful idea but I'm sure they're secretly hoping it's great one. Problem is all their other gambles have not worked out so there's no buffer.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

LordKano

You can't pretend everything is fine if you don't keep saying that everything is going great.

That's exactly why it's they're only potential for growth and to assuage shareholder fears. If that rug is pulled there really isn't much left.

"Our boat is going down sir, all the staff already escaped the imminent death !"
"Don't worry my dude, have you seen our brilliant orchestra ? They're one of the best in the world".

They are raising expectations but not actually saying what those expectations are.

I'm totally expecting another unreachable number like 4 or 5M, with them barely selling 60% of it.

What are we expecting from MvC?

Bomb.

lherre

Accurate
I'm not sure if the capcom financials are that bad since things like RE4-5-6 HD that costs "pennies" reach 1 million each at least or the SSFHD for Switch. The benefits from that projects should be astronomical and could fund other riskier projects.

Nibel

Last fiscal year:

RE7's goal: 4 million
RE7's actual sales: 3.5 million

This fiscal year:

RE7's goal: 2 million
RE7's progress in the first quarter: 200K

Good luck with that Capcom.

Street Fighter V's history:

March 2016: 1.4 million
June 2016: 1.4 million
September 2016: 1.4 million
December 2016: 1.5 million
March 2017: 1.6 million
June 2017: 1.7 million

Initial target for sales as of March 2016: 2 million

They needed a long time to sell out the initial shipment, but they're moving about 100K every three months now.

It's still pretty pathetic for a game that's getting continual updates and sells for peanuts.

Good lord, what a dreadful performance all around. But how do they expect for RE7 to sell when the game came and went? And the free DLC still hasn't been released, right?

As for SFV: shouldn't have rushed that shit like that
zlwkeirqgq5y.png

This is all on Capcom, fighting games can sell, look at Injustice 2 and Tekken 7

What are we expecting from MvC?

I think it will perform below Capcom's expectations as well but might sell more than SFV. There is a lot of negativity surrounding the title from what I'm seeing but maybe all the fanservicey stuff can offset that

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Here's their presentation but their forecast won't be until the 2nd quarter most likely.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2017/1st/explanation_2017_1st_01.pdf

pdf_26.png

USF2 shipped 450k units? (Since we assume that's their only title on Switch.)

pdf_17.png

Monster Hunter World is listed but we don't know how much it consists of their forecasted 10 million sales of new titles.

What other Major franchises doesn't capcom even have. Removing the 2 million from infinite unless a portable MH is being released or a ton of mid tier releases MHW will have to be the lions share of that. Can only think of DMC and maybe the new IP making a big enough dent to reduce that total.

Not Drake

More than 10 million of new games sold seems like a tough goal to hit, especially considering most of those are ports (would these even be counted or put in the "catalog unit sales"?) and other stuff is either pretty risky (MH:World) or not too hot going by the reception so far (MvCI).

wrowa

pdf_17.png

Monster Hunter World is listed but we don't know how much it consists of their forecasted 10 million sales of new titles.

Are games listed randomly or by descending sales expectations in that list? It's not ordered alphabetically or by release date, in any case.

On a quick glance, sales expectations would make sense which at least would tell us they expect Marvel vs Capcom to sell more than Monster Hunter World.

ggx2ac

More than 10 million of new games sold seems like a tough goal to hit, especially considering most of those are ports (would these even be counted or put in the "catalog unit sales"?) and other stuff is either pretty risky (MH:World) or not too hot going by the reception so far (MvCI).

Stuff that is already released is listed in their catalogue unit sales like Resident Evil 7.

Their catalogue unit sales forecast is around 12.7 million.

Their new sales titles which include Monster Hunter World, MvCi, that great ace attorney game 2 and others?... Make up 10.3 million.

MvCi is 2 million as we know, so the others listed have to make up 8.3 million.

Edit: Would Dragon's Dogma for Xbox and PS4 count as a new title?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Are games listed randomly or by descending sales expectations in that list? It's not ordered alphabetically or by release date, in any case.

On a quick glance, sales expectations would make sense which at least would tell us they expect Marvel vs Capcom to sell more than Monster Hunter World.

Yeah looking at that seems to be the case but that can't be right because that would be expecting less than 2 million shipped. If Capcom themselves expect that why would this game even be made it makes no sense.

Only way it would make sense under this assumption is that Capcom really do treat it as an experimental spinoff and have no faith in the title.

Not Drake

Edit: Would Dragon's Dogma for Xbox and PS4 count as a new title?

I'm gonna answer my own question from the previous post, but I just noticed RE re-releases were in the "new unit sales" so ports seem to be counted towards the 10,3M of new games moved. Capcom has a few ports coming, but I can only see Monster Hunter XX Switch moving considerable amount. Dragon's Dogma for PS4 or RE:Revelations for X1/PS4 probably won't sell that much.

lherre

Accurate
37 new SKU, i'm not sure if they count different regions as different SKUS so MvsC and MHW can be 6 skus or 18 if we count 3 regions.

Bruno MB

Capcom have curiously been always pretty realistic when it comes to their Monster Hunter forecasts. If it is released in the last quarter of their fiscal year, let's say February or March, I would expect for Monster Hunter: World a figure in the 2.5 - 3 million range since it will be a worldwide launch. Of course shipments and sell-trough are two different things and we still don't know how will react the Western market. But the shipment should be big.

I have always thought that a proper Monster Hunter may perform really well on PC, so I think the PC will be a key factor for the game to meet its sales expectations.

Mory Dunz

450k?

not bad.

Capcom have curiously been always pretty realistic when it comes to their Monster Hunter forecasts. If it is released in the last quarter of their fiscal year, let's say February or March, I would expect for Monster Hunter: World a figure in the 2.5 - 3 million range since it will be a worldwide launch. Of course shipments and sell-trough are two different things and we still don't know how will react the Western market. But the shipment should be big.

I have always thought that a proper Monster Hunter may perform really well on PC, so I think the PC will be a key factor for the game to meet its sales expectations.

Is PC gonna make this FY?

LordKano

Too bad the PC version isn't releasing this FY.

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales: July 20th to July 26th

Nintendo Switch

(N) 01. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
(-1) 02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
(+2) 03. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
(-2) 04. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(+3) 05. ARMS (Nintendo) [16.3.2017]
(-3) 06. Levels+: Addictive Puzzle Game (flow) [13.7.2017]
(N) 07. Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star (Marvelous) [20.7.2017]
(+2) 08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(N) 09. Samurai Shodown (Hamster) [20.7.2017]
(-4) 10. Implosion (Flyhigh Works) [06.7.2017]

Nintendo 3DS

(+3) 01. Dragon Quest XI (Square-Enix) [29.7.2017]
(-1) 02. Kirby’s Blowout Blast (Nintendo) [04.7.2017]
(-1) 03. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(+6) 04. Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle Layton and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy (Level-5) [20.7.2017]
(+2) 05. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(=) 06. ByeBye! BoxBoy! (Nintendo) [02.2.2017] (was on sale)
(B) 07. Battleminer (Starsign) [10.2.2016]
(B) 08. Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition (Nintendo) [27.2.2016]
(-6) 09. Hey! Pikmin (Nintendo) [13.7.2017]
(B) 10. Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) (was on sale)

Wii U

(+2) 01. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(-1) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(+1) 03. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-2) 04. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016] (was on sale)
(+1) 05. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(+2) 06. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(+2) 07. Art Academy: Sketchpad (Nintendo) [08.8.2013]
(-1) 08. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(B) 09. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) [06.12.2014]
(B) 10. Bomberman '94 (Konami, Virtual Console) [19.11.2014]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/b9e84c1e-7007-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Zedark

Looks like amazon Japan got another restock, this time for two Splatoon 2 bundle (not the official one, but two makeshift ones with both grey and neon).

Demoli

Wow, despite their continued attempts to lower the bar I am still astounded at Capcoms level of incompetence. RE 7 their flagship western franchise on these platforms is still struggling to reach 4 million shipped.

What fucking chance does MHW have of reaching 4.1 million shipped?

Worldwide it has a fair shot if it has some moderate success and keeps the install base the previous titles built up.

Pretty much 0 in japan only, IIRC the previous ceiling for console mh was around 1m with Tri.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here's their presentation but their forecast won't be until the 2nd quarter most likely.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2017/1st/explanation_2017_1st_01.pdf

pdf_26.png

pdf_17.png

There's also a title that Capcom released I assume on both PS4 and Xbox One and that sold-in respectively 450k and 50k. Strangely enough, I can't think of what it could be. Anyone helping?

ggx2ac

There's also a title that Capcom released I assume on both PS4 and Xbox One and that sold-in respectively 450k and 50k. Strangely enough, I can't think of what it could be. Anyone helping?

It doesn't specify that it's a new title or a catalogue title.

We know they shipped 200k units of Resident Evil 7 and 100k units of SFV.

So that leaves 200k units of games that were already released since USF2 was their only new title during the quarter.

Edit: Wait, I'm wrong now I noticed it said one SKU...

Edit 2: I figured it out now.

The 1 SKU listed for PS4 and Xbox One is the Disney Afternoon Collection which released in April.

Resident Evil 6 is over a million which is crazy for such a lazy re-release. The profit margins for it and USF II might be off the charts.

Not really. RE5 will join soon, as will RE4 in its nth release.
RE0 is nearing 1.5 million and RE:R HD is nearing 2 million.

Truth is people love RE.

Last fiscal year:

RE7's goal: 4 million
RE7's actual sales: 3.5 million

This fiscal year:

RE7's goal: 2 million
RE7's progress in the first quarter: 200K

Good luck with that Capcom.

Leon confirmed for RE7 DLC.

I'm not sure if the capcom financials are that bad since things like RE4-5-6 HD that costs "pennies" reach 1 million each at least or the SSFHD for Switch. The benefits from that projects should be astronomical and could fund other riskier projects.

Don't let this thread fool you. Financially, Capcom are doing okay:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e170427b.html

Thye just need to utilise their IP's in a better way.

pdf_26.png

pdf_17.png

10 million catalog sales.......I have no idea how that even happens but they got 9 million in the previous year?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

So that leaves 200k units of games that were already released since USF2 was their only new title during the quarter.

The 1 SKU listed for PS4 and Xbox One is the Disney Afternoon Collection which released in April.

So, 50K on XB1 and 50K on PC? Can't tell me a 3DS/Switch version wasn't worth it. :p

Mpl90

I don't think the 1 game there is the Disney Afternoon Collection, since that would probably fall into the "Full-game download" cathegory, which is specifically for digital-only titles.

ggx2ac

Don't let this thread fool you. Financially, Capcom are doing okay:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e170427b.html

Thye just need to utilise their IP's in a better way.

They did better last FY because of Pachislot/Pachinko. Their Digital Content aka Games were down.

10 million catalog sales.......I have no idea how that even happens but they got 9 million in the previous year?

Last FY they made 8.8 million sales from their already released games: Catalogue. And they made 10.6 million sales from New Titles(SKU).

However, they have 37 New titles(SKU) this FY compared to 42 last year and it looks like the Catalogue sales are having to do the heavy lifting since it suggests they don't have many new titles releasing this FY.

I don't think the 1 game there is the Disney Afternoon Collection, since that would probably fall into the "Full-game download" cathegory, which is specifically for digital-only titles.

It's hard finding a comprehensive list of their releases.

Not really. RE5 will join soon, as will RE4 in its nth release.
RE0 is nearing 1.5 million and RE:R HD is nearing 2 million.

Truth is people love RE.
Resident Evil 0 and REMAKE are both full fledged remasters. They weren't simple PC ports like RE 4 to 6 so it is not fair to compare them to something like RE 4 to 6.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

If you interpret it that way, then 1 single digital sku managed 9M sales. What title could be that beast!?

Fdkn

Resident Evil 0 and REMAKE are both full fledged remasters. They weren't simple PC ports like RE 4 to 6 so it is not fair to compare them to something like RE 4 to 6.

If I am not mistaked he's talking about the current gen remasters of REMAKE and RE0, not the gamecube originals.

You have to let this one go.

Mpl90

Japanese Nintendo eShop Charts - as of July 28th, 2017, 12:37 GMT {2017.07.14 - 2017.07.28}

01. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo)
02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft)
03. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
04. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
05. Levels + : Addictive puzzle game (flow)
06. Arms (Nintendo)
07. Implosion (Flyhigh Works)
08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
09. Kamiko (Circle)
10. ACA NeoGeo: Fatal Fury Special (Hamster)
11. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 2 (Hamster)
12. Shephy (Arc System Works)
13. Namco Museum (Bandai Namco)
14. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
15. Fate / Extella: The Umbran Star (Marvelous)

ggx2ac

Capcom has 37 New Titles (SKU) releasing this FY.

They forecast 10.3 million sales from them. We know MvCi is accounting for 2 million of those sales.

Trying to count 37 SKUs...

- Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Mega Man Legacy Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Great Ace Attorney 2 (3DS) = 1
- Monster Hunter XX Switch Ver. (Switch) = 1
- Ultra Street Fighter II (Switch) = 1
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4, XB1) = 2
- Monster Hunter Stories Ver 1.2 (3DS) = 1

So theres 19 New Titles (SKU) that I haven't counted because they are probably unannounced games.

ggx2ac

Will Monster Hunter Frontier count towards this? Because that probably will have a new revision that'll release on about 10 platforms.

Yes, as long as it's a new title that you have to pay money for and not some patch update it should count as a New Title (SKU).

Edit: It's funny saying that since Monster Hunter Stories Ver 1.2 is a patch update but has a physical release. lol

No mate, those are the ports of RE0 and Remake, just like how RE5/6 were ported.
I am confused? Capcom officially labels them as remasters in their PR while they clearly label 4 to 6 as port, as to say there are no enhancements on offer for them and they are ports of PC version.

While I understand what you are coming from, RE 0 and Remake were the first time the game received a full HD upgrade with enhancements to visuals on the current generation consoles. RE 4 to 6 were released without anything significant.

Of course, people still love the REMAKE and 0 release proving that there is an audience for both the classic RE and the Action packed RE. I am not trying to say one is better than the other. Honestly speaking, the older RE games were also amazing so I am happy either way.

I just don't like the first person focused RE 7 but that is already being discussed in another thread here.

Top Bottom