• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

The official stance is:

You'll be able to take advantage of the Wii's game library on the Wii U. I'm looking forward to playing Skyward Sword, myself :)

That's perfect then. Thanks. I wonder if I'll be able to play games with a controller instead of the wiimote. Like the Mario games...

Best part of Pikmin Adventure:

pikminfinal-o.gif

netBuff

That's perfect then. Thanks. I wonder if I'll be able to play games with a controller instead of the wiimote. Like the Mario games...

That we don't know.

I would assume that the Wii U GamePad and Pro Controller will function like a Classic Controller in Wii-mode - but that's just speculation.

djyella

That video looks gorgeous. The vibrant colors really stand out and I'm loving the small details in the textures. Also, it just looks solid and smooth. The whole world just looks really solid...not sure if I'm getting my thoughts across correctly haha but does anyone else feel the same about what they are seeing? I'm pretty much sold on Nintendo Land. This will get lots of play time with my family.

That video looks gorgeous. The vibrant colors really stand out and I'm loving the small details in the textures. Also, it just looks solid and smooth. The whole world just looks really solid...not sure if I'm getting my thoughts across correctly haha but does anyone else feel the same about what they are seeing? I'm pretty much sold on Nintendo Land. This will get lots of play time with my family.

NintendoLand was the best looking game I saw at the Wii U Experience on Friday.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Black Ops II is a full 1080p when the devs outright call it or the pixel counters confirm it. Not when a producer is selling the game on stage.

The_Lump

Banned
Black Ops II is a full 1080p when the devs outright call it or the pixel counters confirm it. Not when a producer is selling the game on stage.

I hope it's not. I don't need that butt-ugly engine in any higher resolution than it already is, thanks :D

Speaking of which, played MW2 for the first time in a year or so, in order to get myself ready for blops2. Forgot how fun the multiplayer can actually be when its not full of shits.

Kacho

Okay. :(

In all seriousness though, I just do not get the importance of 1080p resolution. The difference between 720p and 1080p is hardly noticeable, at least in my eyes. However, I do notice a radical difference on my PC when I bump the resolution up to the highest it allows me to (19XX x whatever). Considering how nice that is, the constant bickering amongst people about 1080p on consoles seems silly.

Blades64

Banned

In all seriousness though, I just do not get the importance of 1080p resolution. The difference between 720p and 1080p is hardly noticeable, at least in my eyes. However, I do notice a radical difference on my PC when I bump the resolution up to the highest it allows me to (19XX x whatever). Considering how nice that is, the constant bickering amongst people about 1080p on consoles seems silly.

It's more than likely 1920 x 1080 (or it could be 1200) which is where 1080p comes from. The difference between 720p and 1080p is big. It might not be noticeable on your tv screen where you would sit a number of feet away from it. The longer the distance the more unnoticeable it becomes. But like you've said, it's much more noticeable on your computer monitor. So I guess I can see why people want 1080p.

Kacho

It's more than likely 1920 x 1080 (or it could be 1200) which is where 1080p comes from. The difference between 720p and 1080p is big. It might not be noticeable on your tv screen where you would sit a number of feet away from it. The longer the distance the more unnoticeable it becomes. But like you've said, it's much more noticeable on your computer monitor. So I guess I can see why people want 1080p.

Yep, it's actually 1920 x 1080 and it is a noticeable difference on my 23 inch monitor.

Watching Blu Rays on my 51 inch TV in 720p or 1080p, no noticeable difference whatsoever.

Platy

The fact that Nintendo showed a tech demo with a "realistic" Zelda can mean that they might make Wind Waker 2 for WiiU or I'm dreaming a little bit too much ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope it's not. I don't need that butt-ugly engine in any higher resolution than it already is, thanks :D

Maxed out on PC the CoD games look quite good, I feel. Very clean, aided by the huge attention to detail from the crazy high production values. They scrub up pretty well, even if they're not technical masterpieces.

Yeah, at a short distance anything lower than native resolution on a monitor will look very obviously worse. Long distance it's less noticeable, but I still think it is noticeable, and I feel it's one of those things easier to appreciate when more games are using it. Native 1080p will look more crisp and cleaner, and with a tiny dose of AA grant superior IQ to the jaggy filled 720p mess that has been this generation.

I think in shooters is also looks great, as the extra pixel resolution cleans up objects (eg: people you're shooting at) over distance. Less like a bunch of jaggy squares, and more defined.

Platy

So we are not getting an insanely better version of this

and instead we are getting something closer to this ?

I can live witht that =/

edit :

Don't forget

Nintendo 64 tech demo
f4ltb.jpg

Nintendo 64 first Zelda
598177zelda20ocarina20of20time.jpg

So it was kinda the oposite back there ?

Interesting

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
For someone whose not that technically knowledgeable with aspect ratios ... what exactly do higher resolutions do? Sharper image quality?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to ratio aspects, AA, shaders, etc too. I should probably look these things up and know what's what.

Meelow

Banned
Okay no.

No.

I'm not gonna stand that crap. To be fair, it's not the best screen to compare, but the released game looks 10x better than the beta.

I'm pretty sure he meant that it went from cell shaded to realistic where GameCube it went from realistic to cell shaded.

Platy

Okay no.

No.

I'm not gonna stand that crap. To be fair, it's not the best screen to compare, but the released game looks 10x better than the beta.

Not the best screen ???

That is probably the worst screen possible from Ocarina of time xD

But yes, I was talking about how they went from cartoon to a more realistic style

EatChildren

For someone whose not that technically knowledgeable with aspect ratios ... what exactly do higher resolutions do? Sharper image quality?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to ratio aspects, AA, shaders, etc too. I should probably look these things up and know what's what.

Think of resolution like...um...imagine that the screen is divided into little squares. It's a grid. And each square can only display a limited amount of information at any one time (eg: one colour in a single instance, like an LCD screen). The higher the resolution, the bigger the grid, and thus the more 'squares' we have available to display information.

So if I'm looking at, say, an enemy across Hyrule Field, the density of the grid will dictate how many 'squares' are available to make that character appear. Low resolution = fewer squares on the grid, thus fewer squares to render that character. High resolution = more squares, thus more squares to render the character. More squares = more detail is apparent on the screen. It looks cleaner, sharper, with greater definition, especially over a distance.

Imagine you've got a really busy scene in the distance. Lots of trees, enemies moving around, a stream, grass, etc. With a low resolution, thus fewer squares on the grid, and each square limited to how much information it can show, the distant scene might look a bit blurry and undefined until you get closer. At a higher resolution we've got more squares to display information, so we can see greater definition in the trees, grass, enemies, and so on.

I'm going to need to stay in Nintendo-centric threads for a few days until I cool down.

I'm likely to explode at anyone trying to defend the fucking terrible business practices of MS.

ozfunghi

Quick question, haven't been following the past week, but does anyone know why Monolith Soft tweeted we should keep an eye out for TGS? Has anything been showed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom