• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RedSwirl
Banned
(10-10-2016, 12:49 AM)
RedSwirl's Avatar
I started the demo and in the first puzzle of chapter 0 I'm already way out of my depth.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 12:49 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by jrcbandit

Ok, I'll be very interested in it. I just have no context for any of the stuff happening in the intro. Like why would a special government unit even be sent there to capture or kill 1 dude with a gun instead of a normal police unit. Or anything about Twilight Murder Syndrome stuff (contagious murderous intent?), I just know a part of Danganronpa 2 has a homage to those games.

Here's the abridged version, if you're dying to know.

After the credits of Moonlight Syndrome roll. We are taken back into Ryo's room.
Rumi is shocked to see Ryo laying there lifeless. Ryo is clutching on to a paper bag containing the severed head of his sister Kyoko Kazan.

Rumi looks at the tv screen & sees Mika Kishi trapped inside.
Moonlight Syndrome never actually tells you why Mika Kishi is stuck inside the tv.
(In fact the MS ending is the only time in the game that the tv ever gets focused on.)
The only hints that we have to go on are

1. Mika was present during the ending credits. She hugs Ryo Kazan.
2. We later see Ryo lying around dead or unconscious sitting in front of a tv & still holding on to Kyoko's head contained inside a brown bag.
(The brown bags in Killer 7 are supposedly the heads of the Smith Syndicate.)
3. You can clearly see Mika Kishi tapped inside Ryo's tv.

This cliffhanger from Moonlight Syndrome finally gets answered 8 years later (2005. Moonlight Syndrome was originally released in 1997.) with the release of Killer 7.
Emir Parkreiner from Killer 7, who uses the tv as a medium in order to "channel" in the Smith syndicate is actually a conclusion to the ending of Moonlight Syndrome.

Silver Case concluded what happened to Ryo Kazan & Rumi Touba after Moonlight Syndrome.


Ryo Kazan goes apeshit insane & went on a killing spree. One of his attempted targets was Tetsuguro Kusabi.

Later on in SC, Tetsuguro shoots Ryo about 5 times.

However the final shot actually came from Rumi Touba. (The woman who went to check up on Ryo during Moonlight Syndrome's ending.)

Rumi is later killed by Tetsuguro, because she failed to comply with his orders.


Basically, he's a protagonist from Moonlight Syndrome who went crazy after someone close to him died.

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

No, I was going to finish Transmission first then do Placebo

Is that not the right way to play this? :/

You should bounce between them.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 02:04 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
The end of Yume was some chilling shit.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 02:06 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
chapter 4 isnt that weird guys it's pretty eas--What
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 02:40 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Surprised the background text in Spectrum wasn't translated. It's nothing major, but still.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 03:58 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
You have got to be kidding me...

About the FSR ending, after playing Spectrum:
Is that all Tetsu was talking about? Getting Sumio to lend him 50k after losing a racing bet? Of all the innocuous shit.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:07 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
i feel like case 5 and case 1-3 are in completely different games?
AHA-Lambda
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:10 AM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

i feel like case 5 and case 1-3 are in completely different games?

yeah tell me about it.

It seems I may have messed up a bit by not doing Placebo in tandem with the main chapters (I'll be doing them next, hopefully clear things up a little), but chapter 5 was just f*cking mental sh*tcakes, and I had zero idea of what was going on
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:12 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

yeah tell me about it.

It seems I may have messed up a bit by not doing Placebo in tandem with the main chapters (I'll be doing them next, hopefully clear things up a little), but chapter 5 was just f*cking mental sh*tcakes, and I had zero idea of what was going on

tagging even though theres nothing spoilery in it but
I mean, regardless, case 1-2(3?) is a whodunnit with side info, then placebo 3/4 feel like it's a "what happened in the past" infodump and I'm kind confused on the connection
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:17 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

yeah tell me about it.

It seems I may have messed up a bit by not doing Placebo in tandem with the main chapters (I'll be doing them next, hopefully clear things up a little), but chapter 5 was just f*cking mental sh*tcakes, and I had zero idea of what was going on

I feel like Placebo is there to flesh out the main cases for anyone who was (understandably) baffled, like Suda originally wanted just the core cases, and someone was like 'you gotta have someone else break this down', so he brought on the other writer for Placebo.

Also, I like that Placebo uses a completely different(?) artist, or at least a different style.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:21 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I feel like Placebo is there to flesh out the main cases for anyone who was (understandably) baffled, like Suda originally wanted just the core cases, and someone was like 'you gotta have someone else break this down', so he brought on the other writer for Placebo.

Also, I like that Placebo uses a completely different(?) artist, or at least a different style.

true but it also feels like a badly segmented infodump as a result, which is a shame.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:23 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

true but it also feels like a badly segmented infodump as a result, which is a shame.

It has its moments. There's elements of brilliance in the Placebo segments, like the bar scenes and anything with Red.

And that chat room scene was insane.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:27 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

It has its moments. There's elements of brilliance in the Placebo segments, like the bar scenes and anything with Red.

And that chat room scene was insane.

True, it's just overall boring and I wish they managed to work this into the main plot better.
Anyways, on Ai!
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:33 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
https://steamspy.com/app/476650

Looks like it has around 3500 sales? Doesn't seem bad at all.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:36 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

https://steamspy.com/app/476650

Looks like it has around 3500 sales? Doesn't seem bad at all.

Yeaah at this point I'm just abusing connections to get people this nearly half off (devs get full money still) in hopes of getting more copies sold
Suda needs sales :3

and onto lifecut...I can't finish today, can I :/
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:37 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

Yeaah at this point I'm just abusing connections to get people this nearly half off (devs get full money still) in hopes of getting more copies sold
Suda needs sales :3

and onto lifecut...I can't finish today, can I :/

Lifecut is long. Nope.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 04:45 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Lifecut is long. Nope.

I don't have class till 10am though...

edit: "I mean, murder is bad, but..."
l o l
Last edited by Soulflarz; 10-10-2016 at 04:51 AM.
ArclightBorealis
Member
(10-10-2016, 05:00 AM)
ArclightBorealis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

i feel like case 5 and case 1-3 are in completely different games?

You ever play killer7? You'd probably think the exact same thing, because both games follow almost nearly the same structure. But in the end, every single one serves a purpose, to build on a set of major themes and characters.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 05:12 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArclightBorealis

You ever play killer7? You'd probably think the exact same thing, because both games follow almost nearly the same structure. But in the end, every single one serves a purpose, to build on a set of major themes and characters.

Got it!
And yeah, loved killer7, pretty far up my list of favorite gamecube games I missed until I got older :P
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 06:33 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
this lifecut twist isnt really hitting hard because it's kinda textbook obvious since chapter 2
thoughts after game confirmed it
I found it so obvious that when we hunted Kamui down I later thought back confused "but how can there be more than one? I'm obviously being set up for this guy..."
ie- that part was so obvious to me the pieces didn't even need to fall in place for me to call it.
Last edited by Soulflarz; 10-10-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Novum_Veritas
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:13 AM)
Novum_Veritas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

this lifecut twist isnt really hitting hard because it's kinda textbook obvious since chapter 2

Yeah pretty much, the ending was satisfying though.
iModem
Banned
(10-10-2016, 07:16 AM)
looks neat.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:17 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novum_Veritas

Yeah pretty much, the ending was satisfying though.

I'm still in it. Sucks that it was so obvious. They really needed to make you able to have some agency- it's pretty obvious you're braindead as far as proper characters go, everyone thinks you're weird, your boss hires you even though you don't speak, etc.
Novum_Veritas
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:19 AM)
Novum_Veritas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

I'm still in it. Sucks that it was so obvious. They really needed to make you able to have some agency- it's pretty obvious you're braindead as far as proper characters go, everyone thinks you're weird, your boss hires you even though you don't speak, etc.

Well it was weird anyway because as you already said, Akira doesn't talk, and his appearance is pretty spooky like Kamui's appearance. At what part are you atm?
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:24 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novum_Veritas

Well it was weird anyway because as you already said, Akira doesn't talk, and his appearance is pretty spooky like Kamui's appearance. At what part are you atm?

Oh yeah, that whole second aspect, I just assumed someone was drug tripping or something. Either way, you being the big bad is so overdone at this point that in 2016 you can see it a mile away. I' just set stones 9/8/7/1 in the tv tower.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:26 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
w-what
Novum_Veritas
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:34 AM)
Novum_Veritas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

w-what

Oh so you almost at the epilogue, not bad.
Haha I know which part you're at, I had the same reaction.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 07:42 AM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novum_Veritas

Oh so you almost at the epilogue, not bad.
Haha I know which part you're at, I had the same reaction.

WHAT WAS THAT THING EVEN
and yeaah will finish tomorrow, next game is gears 4 and might as well not stay up late if i have time to kill tomorrow lol
Novum_Veritas
Member
(10-10-2016, 09:03 AM)
Novum_Veritas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

WHAT WAS THAT THING EVEN
and yeaah will finish tomorrow, next game is gears 4 and might as well not stay up late if i have time to kill tomorrow lol

If you're playing Gears 4 hit me up, playing it as well.

Haha it will be explained.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 03:01 PM)
Soulflarz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Novum_Veritas

If you're playing Gears 4 hit me up, playing it as well.

Haha it will be explained.

Epilogue prob? Agh, can't do that till this afternoon.
And yeah, gears 3 is far and away my best mp game (minus OW where I was able to get 70+), gonna have a ton of fun. Feel free to add Soulflarz.
InternHertz
Member
(10-10-2016, 05:48 PM)
InternHertz's Avatar
Got my bonus content key earlier, thanks Limited Run Games!

Looking forward to the physical version <3
SilentRob
Member
(10-10-2016, 05:49 PM)
SilentRob's Avatar
I played this for an hour and I don't think I've enjoyed beeing confused this much since Killer 7. The way you get bombarded with names and organisations and concepts and you have no idea what anything means. This gives me exactly the same vibe and I'm so happy I'm finally able to experience it myself. Love it so far.
Soulflarz
Member
(10-10-2016, 09:38 PM)
Soulflarz's Avatar
someone lend me 50,000 yen
cause that game sure as hell didn't have an ending penned!
Last edited by Soulflarz; 10-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Novum_Veritas
Member
(10-11-2016, 07:43 AM)
Novum_Veritas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soulflarz

someone lend me 50,000 yen
cause that game sure as hell didn't have an ending penned!

Well the ending was pretty open ended that's true :P
BTW I added you on Xbox ;)
Nags
Banned
(10-11-2016, 07:47 AM)
Any word on a PS4 or Vita release?
Caim
Member
(10-11-2016, 10:19 AM)
Caim's Avatar
Damn, Decoyman was really good...
awcarew
Junior Member
(10-11-2016, 03:40 PM)
awcarew's Avatar
Is this game worth getting if I loved games like 999 and VLR?
poppos2097
Junior Member
(10-11-2016, 05:59 PM)
The art book and comic/manga??? felt pretty skimpy in terms of content but they look great and the grid of character mug shots makes great wallpaper IMO.
Sumio Mondo
Member
(10-11-2016, 06:22 PM)
Sumio Mondo's Avatar
Must make mention of how good the soundtrack is. Love those PSX era OSTs and since Masafumi Takada (Danganronpa, killer7, No More Heroes) is probably my favourite composer this game is already great for that by itself, let alone the fantastic manga artwork and writing/direction from Suda.

Such a shame that I had no idea about the Moonlight Syndrome connections until now, we need that fan translation of Moonlight Syndrome badly now. Or hopefully Suda pulls through and gets that out in English with a HD remake as well?
poppos2097
Junior Member
(10-11-2016, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by jrcbandit

The naming is so confusing, why exactly is there a special forces unit called Republic (huh what kind of code name is that for a police unit???)

Might be another New Order reference. Surprised I didn't see any Smiths song titles
Tizoc
Member
(10-12-2016, 11:29 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Just finished lunatics and uh I'm a little confused, but I guess everything gets cleared up in later chapters.
Tizoc
Member
(10-12-2016, 11:58 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Big Dick

Bless you Suda.
Genio88
Member
(10-12-2016, 12:16 PM)
Genio88's Avatar
Will it run well on Surface Pro 4 with i5 CPU?
LiK
(10-12-2016, 02:34 PM)
LiK's Avatar
Is there any way to turn off the text typing sounds? It's super grating. There doesn't seem to be a separate volume slider for it and other sound effects. I didn't mind it during narration segments but hearing it for every piece of dialogue is pretty awful.
Gemeanie
Member
(10-12-2016, 02:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Genio88

Will it run well on Surface Pro 4 with i5 CPU?

There are slowdowns in some area especially in later parts but aside from that I've not encountered any issue.
Spieler Eins
Member
(10-12-2016, 08:34 PM)
Spieler Eins's Avatar
After 0 and 1 made for a great beginning, the main plot started to drag kind of badly several times, until the final chapter got back on track. Surprisingly, I then found the placebos to be much more intriguing, despite its arc derailing here and there for the sake of keeping up with the mainline. Still, Tokio is an absolute beast, i.e. easily the best character in the game, obviously followed by the barkeeper.
Last edited by Spieler Eins; 10-12-2016 at 09:41 PM.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-13-2016, 01:47 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
The prequel comic is damn short, but I like it. More interesting for the Moonlight Syndrome references than anything else.

Uh, what the hell HAPPENED in the Syndrome games?...
http://www.paradisehotel51.com/ts.html

There you go.

Massive spoilers, obviously, but who knows when or if that's gonna get localized.

The man from the beginning of Chapter 0, Ryo Kazan:




The younger brother of Kyoko Kazan. They shared a bond with each other that far exceeded even the kinship of blood. The Kazan's were involved in an incest relationship with one another. Sumio had Kyoko killed, because he was jealous of the affection that Kyoko had for her brother.
(Note, this is not the Sumio from Silver Case/FSR.
Welcome to draw connections, though!)

Yayoi showed Ryo to the v.i.p. room of a night club called "Lost Highway". Sumio was in the backroom waiting for Ryo to show up. Yayoi handed Ryo a bag. Inside the bag was Kyoko's head. Ryo kept her head after Sumio was killed during a double homicide by an ex lover.

Ryo received a phone call from Kyoko shortly after he returned home. However this is impossible, because Kyoko is dead. It's around this time that Ryo's mind starts to twist & turn the reality around him little by little. (This eventually escalates into full blown madness by the time we see Ryo in Silver Case.)





The head in the bag is Kyoko, Ryo's sister.

Rumi Toba


The woman who kills Ryo and then is killed by Tetsugoro at the end of Chapter 0.
kazooycar
Junior Member
(10-13-2016, 05:58 AM)
kazooycar's Avatar
Has anybody had success running this game in Wine on Mac? I've gotten through #0 Lunatics now both on the Steam and DRM free versions of the game (not that it should really make a difference, but I gave it a shot anyway) and my game always crashes at the very beginning of #1 Decoyman before the movie with the guys sitting on the benches can even load in. Any suggestions??
ArclightBorealis
Member
(10-13-2016, 06:38 PM)
ArclightBorealis's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

The prequel comic is damn short, but I like it. More interesting for the Moonlight Syndrome references than anything else.

Uh, what the hell HAPPENED in the Syndrome games?...
http://www.paradisehotel51.com/ts.html

There you go.

Massive spoilers, obviously, but who knows when or if that's gonna get localized.

The man from the beginning of Chapter 0, Ryo Kazan:




The younger brother of Kyoko Kazan. They shared a bond with each other that far exceeded even the kinship of blood. The Kazan's were involved in an incest relationship with one another. Sumio had Kyoko killed, because he was jealous of the affection that Kyoko had for her brother.
(Note, this is not the Sumio from Silver Case/FSR.
Welcome to draw connections, though!)

Yayoi showed Ryo to the v.i.p. room of a night club called "Lost Highway". Sumio was in the backroom waiting for Ryo to show up. Yayoi handed Ryo a bag. Inside the bag was Kyoko's head. Ryo kept her head after Sumio was killed during a double homicide by an ex lover.

Ryo received a phone call from Kyoko shortly after he returned home. However this is impossible, because Kyoko is dead. It's around this time that Ryo's mind starts to twist & turn the reality around him little by little. (This eventually escalates into full blown madness by the time we see Ryo in Silver Case.)





The head in the bag is Kyoko, Ryo's sister.

Rumi Toba


The woman who kills Ryo and then is killed by Tetsugoro at the end of Chapter 0.

So here's my one question I have about MS and the end of the Lunatics chapter, mainly something that makes sense in my head but I want to know if it does or does not contradict details made prior.

Is the woman that Rumi says she killed supposed to be Mika Kishi? I know about the end of Moonlight Syndrome and how during the final scene Mika is shown inside the TV (and is something that killer7 basically explains how that even worked in the context of the Smith Syndicate), but I don't know if there were actual details about who or what did her in during the game. But, it's what came to my mind because both Ryo and Mika are the main playable characters in that game and I'd assume they'd end up having some sort of close relationship that might've driven Rumi to do what she did.
Dascu
(10-13-2016, 06:46 PM)
Dascu's Avatar
Been playing this, going through Spectrum now. Loving it and it's pretty much exactly what I expected and hoped for, coming from Flower, Sun and Rain and Killer7.

On a side note, I'm happy to see Goichi Suda visibly excited about this localization/'remake'. I hope it encourages him to do another game like this, with hands-on direction and no concern for broad marketability.

Thread Tools