• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

luulubuu
(08-24-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by IGDB

An enhanced version of Monster Hunter X, known as Monster Hunter Generations internationally. It features new monsters, hunting styles, and the more challenging G-Rank quests.

Game data from Monster Hunter X can be carried over, with a one way transfer, to Monster Hunter XX or the newly announced Nintendo Switch version. Game data can also be moved between the 3DS and the Switch version of the game.

There has been no announcement of a western release.

Information extracted from here.

BRAVE STYLE
ブレイヴスタイル

Originally Posted by Gematsu

Brave Style is an offensive hunting style focused on continuous attacks, in which you can only equip one hunter art. The style comes with a “Brave Gauge” that fills as you parry monster attacks. When it’s full, you can activate your “Brave State.”

In your charge state, you can parry and perform cancel attacks. The latter can be used to easily fill up the Brave Gauge by great amounts to quicker activate Brave State.

In your Brave State, your evasiveness with some weapon types increases, and you can use the powerful link attacks and special techniques of each weapon type. Your Brave Gauge will always decrease while in Brave State, so it’s important to continuously land attacks to keep it filled.

ALCHEMY STYLE
レンキンスタイル

Originally Posted by Perfectly Nintendo

Alchemy Style is rather unusual, and that its main focus is on Support. It allows you to create some items using alchemy, thanks to special barrels called “Mystery Alchemic Barrel” (you can have up to 5 slots).

You absolutely need those special barrels to use alchemy, but they’re not found in the Item Bag like usual items. You also need to fill up your Alchemy Gauge, though you can have up to 5 of them at once (one for each slot, most likely).

Key art:

There are two flagship monsters;

Massacre Demon Diablos and Valphalk

Promotional videos
Trailer 1
Trailer 2

Translations and pro tips by the GAF Hunting guild

Invitation to the MHGaf Discord server, quote to reveal

Originally Posted by Beats

MHXX Database: https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/ - You can switch languages at the top right.

Poogie Translate: http://mhapi.info/translate/

Options Menu Translation

Originally Posted by Hybris

Prowler Skill Translation

How much will this JOKE cost me, Lulu?

5990 yen thats like 62 dollars

How much space I need in my Switch?

9.8gb

Can I pay with my credit card?

I don't think so, you can pay now with paypal though.

Is this a sequel to MH Generations?

Is more like a GOTY edition with all the DLC and more

Why no western localization?

Because.

Do you recommend the game?

Sure

Even if you don't speak japanese?

I'm not sure, it totally depends on you and many factors, if you want to play something quick with friends and you are used to the franchise, then yeah, if not, I would wait, try the demo and seek for some guidance like guides, let's plays, etc.

Hah, good OT title

Thenkzzz

I think that's it, If you need more information, please let me know and if I should change something let me know even more, this is my first OT so I expect to have some errors, please understand.
Last edited by luulubuu; 08-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(08-24-2017, 07:15 PM)
you misspelled Capcpom
luulubuu
(08-24-2017, 07:16 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

you misspelled Capcpom

Thanks for the heart attack, I will see you in court
Kyoufu
(08-24-2017, 07:16 PM)
This game is so easy. Brave Longsword destroys everything. Blasting through G rank atm.
Lren
(08-24-2017, 07:17 PM)
We in there! Awesome OT, Luu!

Playing the game on Switch feels really nice and Brave Style has been really fun to play with so far, at least with IG and LS. The areas just look really crisp undocked.
ryushe
(08-24-2017, 07:17 PM)
Man, I really wanna be excited for this game, but after seeing so much MH:World footage from the last couple of days, I just can't get it up for last gen MH anymore. :(

That said, I'll probably still pick this up.
Blam
(08-24-2017, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

you misspelled Capcpom

Don't you mean c
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(08-24-2017, 07:19 PM)
I envy you, Japanese-reading GAFers. :(
Juraash
(08-24-2017, 07:19 PM)
I have this ordered from Amazon JP. Not sure how I feel about it given that Generations/X was one of my least favorite titles in the series. But it's MH and it's on the Switch...hard to argue with it. Glad I'll have a few GAF peeps to do some hunts with since I didn't love the solo experience on Gen.
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(08-24-2017, 07:20 PM)
I'm in!

My Japanese is terrible, but I know my Kana and I've put a few thousand hours into the series, so I'm ready to tough out any learning curves. So happy to have another portable Monster Hunter, hopefully it's not the last.
dragonlife
(08-24-2017, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Seik

I don't think the majority of us that are getting it actually speak Japanese, haha.
Cosmo Clock 21
(08-24-2017, 07:21 PM)
Can you remake your character when you upgrade from MHX to XX? I want to change my appearance but don't want to lose my HR progress.
Hybris
(08-24-2017, 07:22 PM)
Nice OT, if you wanna put the MH gaf discord in there here's the invite link (quote to reveal)

Can't wait to get home and start this fresh!
Last edited by Hybris; 08-24-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Tacorona72
(08-24-2017, 07:22 PM)
Hahaha, ok that's a pretty funny title.
Beats
(08-24-2017, 07:26 PM)
First time importing a Monster Hunter game.

Here's some links to some translation resources:

MHXX Database: https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/ - You can switch languages at the top right.

Options Menu Translation
tuffy
(08-24-2017, 07:28 PM)
Trying to learn what all the bowgun shots are without being able to read Japanese is liable to be a huge pain, as is having to start over from the beginning. But I have zero interest in any Monster Hunter I can't carry around the house in portable form, so I may wind up caving in for this despite the hassles. That'll probably mean Capcpom will localize it later on just to mess with me.
Kysen
(08-24-2017, 07:31 PM)
Everything looks so crisp. Jumped straight online and its kinda quiet right now. I'm starting to miss little things from the 3ds version. Seems you can no longer dance while waiting for the quest to start.
Doombear
(08-24-2017, 07:33 PM)
Great OT Luulubuu! Just finished my transfer from 3DS.

Originally Posted by Seik

As many have said... heh

That is all done with maybe a .5% understanding of the language. Granted also done with a very complete understanding of the "Monster Hunter" Language though =)

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

Can you remake your character when you upgrade from MHX to XX? I want to change my appearance but don't want to lose my HR progress.

I didn't see anything like that. Transfer is pretty straghtorward. You upload from 3ds to Capcom servers. Then on Switch you download it. Just a straight across transfer. I could have missed something, but I was translating every screen along the way and saw zero mention of it.
Hybris
(08-24-2017, 07:37 PM)
So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.
JimPanzer
(08-24-2017, 07:37 PM)
already had my fair share with the 3DS version of XX and I don't own a switch anymore (sold it after beating zelda). But all those MH World videos made me yearn for some more MH...hmm...maybe next month. Does buying via paypal outside of Japan work? I heard it's still bound to the region of your paypal acc.
Kysen
(08-24-2017, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by JimPanzer

already had my fair share with the 3DS version of XX and I don't own a switch anymore (sold it after beating zelda). But all those MH World videos made me yearn for some more MH...hmm...maybe next month. Does buying via paypal outside of Japan work? I heard it's still bound to the region of your paypal acc.

It doesn't, you have to buy prepaid cards :(
RiderKairuu
(08-24-2017, 07:39 PM)

So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.

I take it homebrewing and converting save is a difficult process? I wouldn't even know where to start with that.
tuffy
(08-24-2017, 07:42 PM)

I'd pretty much have to because I'm in no mood for 3DS hackery either. But if I do, I think I'll try light bowgunning it from the start instead for a change of pace.
Shizuka
(08-24-2017, 07:42 PM)
I'm here for the OT subtitle, YAS!
Kinsei
(08-24-2017, 07:43 PM)

I will be. My 3DS has no homebrew so I can;t change my Gen save to a X save.
345triangle
(08-24-2017, 07:44 PM)
i've bought this but i can't find public wi-fi fast enough to download it anywhere in cologne. hope i can get it sorted before my flight back to japan tomorrow :/
Otakumegane
(08-24-2017, 07:45 PM)
I wish I could play this but I can't invest the time to do through a dictionary everytime.

I'll be sitting this one out.
georly
(08-24-2017, 07:46 PM)
Amazing OT. Looking forward to digging into it soon, puppies permitting. Likely means i won't get a lot of online in any time soon but i should be able to tackle some single player stuff.

Pro-tip for people playing who can't read japanese - google translate app lets your take pictures of japanese text and it translates it for you - lifesaver on MH4 for me - should be even easier on switch since it's not 240p.

Originally Posted by Beats

First time importing a Monster Hunter game.

Here's some links to some translation resources:

Options Menu Translation

Good stuff, ty!
Last edited by georly; 08-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Hybris
(08-24-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by RiderKairuu

I take it homebrewing and converting save is a difficult process? I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

From what I've read it's pretty simple actually. There have been some bans recently but apparently they have workarounds for that now. There's always a risk though, and I kind of want to start fresh anyway, so no point for me I suppose.
Tacorona72
(08-24-2017, 07:54 PM)

Yeah, I didn't nor will I homebrew, so will be starting fresh as well.

Not sure when I'll get the game though
Alric
(08-24-2017, 07:56 PM)
I need to find or create flashcards for all the monster hunter Japanese terms so I can start practicing.
nubbe
(08-24-2017, 08:03 PM)
Will be waiting a few weeks for my physical copy :|
Will be worth it for the 200h+ gameplay
shoryukens
(08-24-2017, 08:04 PM)
To those who imported the game. Can you assign the L and R functions to ZL and ZR respectively? This is a big factor for me since I hated using those bumpers.
georly
(08-24-2017, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Alric

I need to find or create flashcards for all the monster hunter Japanese terms so I can start practicing.

You're better off learning hiragana/katakana (about 80~ characters in total) the same way. Free flashcard apps on phones and tons of resources. Once you do that you realize most of the japanese words are just weirdly written english words and you can navigate menus and items super easily.

So like - ハンマー = Ha n ma- = hamma- = hammer.

ヘビィボウガン = he bi i bo u ga n = hebi bougan = heavy bowgun.

I learned both after practicing for maybe an hour a day for a couple weeks. It's super doable in your free time.
Last edited by georly; 08-24-2017 at 08:28 PM.
molnizzle
(08-24-2017, 08:16 PM)
Top tier OT title.

Really wish I knew Japanese.
TreIII
(08-24-2017, 08:18 PM)
Subbed. Starting over since I, too, don't want to bother with any foolishness with hacking and homebrew, either.

Thankfully, Beast Prowlers exist and are are just as busted as Brave style.
ShadowFox08
(08-24-2017, 08:26 PM)
Does it have English subtitles?

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!
sirap
(08-24-2017, 08:28 PM)

Originally Posted by ShadowFox08

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!

No...
Gotdatmoney
(08-24-2017, 08:29 PM)
Not getting this but that OT title is superb
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(08-24-2017, 08:30 PM)
Demo is great but... Too hard to play it in Japanese imho
Can I Localization beg?!
Lelou
(08-24-2017, 08:33 PM)
my saves are completly lost on my generation cartridge...

200 hours lost..
C'mon capacrom..

Anyway i will buy the game anyway, helping myself with the usual tools of the hunters, ah.
georly
(08-24-2017, 08:33 PM)

Hi yes i am an expert in technical stuff and i can technically tell you it does not have subtitles in english.
Alric
(08-24-2017, 08:34 PM)

Originally Posted by georly

You're better off learning hiragana/katakana (about 80~ characters in total) the same way. Free flashcard apps on phones and tons of resources. Once you do that you realize most of the japanese words are just weirdly written english words and you can navigate menus and items super easily.

So like - ハンマー = Ha n ma- = hamma- = hammer.

ヘビィボウガン = he bi i bo u ga n = hebi bougan = heavy bowgun.

I learned both after practicing for maybe an hour a day for a couple weeks. It's super doable in your free time.

I know both, it's the Kanji stuff I don't know or what the hirigana say without looking up each word. At least Katakana I can most of the time assume as it's foreign words usually.
Sammy Samusu
(08-24-2017, 08:34 PM)
Rip
georly
(08-24-2017, 08:43 PM)

I know both, it's the Kanji stuff I don't know or what the hirigana say without looking up each word. At least Katakana I can most of the time assume as it's foreign words usually.

Ah! Then yes, i, too, will have to start learning the kanji, haha.
Deband
(08-24-2017, 08:56 PM)
Not sure whether I'm in or not. I'll wait and read all your impressions.
Doombear
(08-24-2017, 09:25 PM)

Originally Posted by georly

Pro-tip for people playing who can't read japanese - google translate app lets your take pictures of japanese text and it translates it for you - lifesaver on MH4 for me - should be even easier on switch since it's not 240p.

Good stuff, ty!

Pro-tip for the pro-tip! Know that, in my experience at least, the Instant Translate feature for Japanese Language can be a bit less exact than the manual translation option (take a photo, swipe over the text you want to translate). Just in case any of you try it, have Instant on and aren't getting very understandable results =P Try turning Instant off and see if that helps you. It is not every time that the results are a bit silly with Instant, but often (for me).
luulubuu
(08-24-2017, 09:34 PM)
Edited a bit the OT to offer most of the help you guys posted, thanks!

Did you actually read the OT or ANY of the news regarding the game.
Last edited by luulubuu; 08-24-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Cosmo Clock 21
(08-24-2017, 09:41 PM)

While it's a bit more work, learning a few common kanji used in the MH lexicon will help tremendously. Things like
牙 = fang
爪 = claw
for example.
Alric
(08-24-2017, 09:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

While it's a bit more work, learning a few common kanji used in the MH lexicon will help tremendously. Things like
牙 = fang
爪 = claw
for example.

Yes, it's why I want to go through and make some flashcards for AnkiDroid so I can practice in my downtime at work.