• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

luulubuu
Junior Member
(08-24-2017, 08:13 PM)
luulubuu's Avatar
Retire Bitch
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster
(08-24-2017, 08:15 PM)
TheMoon's Avatar
you misspelled Capcpom
luulubuu
Junior Member
(08-24-2017, 08:16 PM)
luulubuu's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheMoon

you misspelled Capcpom

Thanks for the heart attack, I will see you in court
Kyoufu
(08-24-2017, 08:16 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar
This game is so easy. Brave Longsword destroys everything. Blasting through G rank atm.
Lren
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:17 PM)
Lren's Avatar
We in there! Awesome OT, Luu!

Playing the game on Switch feels really nice and Brave Style has been really fun to play with so far, at least with IG and LS. The areas just look really crisp undocked.
ryushe
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:17 PM)
ryushe's Avatar
Man, I really wanna be excited for this game, but after seeing so much MH:World footage from the last couple of days, I just can't get it up for last gen MH anymore. :(

That said, I'll probably still pick this up.
Blam
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:18 PM)
Blam's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheMoon

you misspelled Capcpom


Don't you mean c
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(08-24-2017, 08:19 PM)
Seik's Avatar
I envy you, Japanese-reading GAFers. :(
Juraash
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:19 PM)
Juraash's Avatar
I have this ordered from Amazon JP. Not sure how I feel about it given that Generations/X was one of my least favorite titles in the series. But it's MH and it's on the Switch...hard to argue with it. Glad I'll have a few GAF peeps to do some hunts with since I didn't love the solo experience on Gen.
EvilMario
Will QA for food.
(08-24-2017, 08:20 PM)
EvilMario's Avatar
I'm in!

My Japanese is terrible, but I know my Kana and I've put a few thousand hours into the series, so I'm ready to tough out any learning curves. So happy to have another portable Monster Hunter, hopefully it's not the last.
dragonlife
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:20 PM)
dragonlife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seik

I envy you, Japanese-reading GAFers. :(

I don't think the majority of us that are getting it actually speak Japanese, haha.
Cosmo Clock 21
Banned
(08-24-2017, 08:21 PM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar
Can you remake your character when you upgrade from MHX to XX? I want to change my appearance but don't want to lose my HR progress.
Hybris
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:22 PM)
Hybris's Avatar
Nice OT, if you wanna put the MH gaf discord in there here's the invite link (quote to reveal)

Can't wait to get home and start this fresh!
Tacorona72
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:22 PM)
Tacorona72's Avatar
Hahaha, ok that's a pretty funny title.
Beats
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:26 PM)
Beats's Avatar
First time importing a Monster Hunter game.

Here's some links to some translation resources:

MHXX Database: https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/ - You can switch languages at the top right.

Poogie Translate: http://mhapi.info/translate/

Options Menu Translation
tuffy
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:28 PM)
tuffy's Avatar
Trying to learn what all the bowgun shots are without being able to read Japanese is liable to be a huge pain, as is having to start over from the beginning. But I have zero interest in any Monster Hunter I can't carry around the house in portable form, so I may wind up caving in for this despite the hassles. That'll probably mean Capcpom will localize it later on just to mess with me.
Kysen
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:31 PM)
Kysen's Avatar
Everything looks so crisp. Jumped straight online and its kinda quiet right now. I'm starting to miss little things from the 3ds version. Seems you can no longer dance while waiting for the quest to start.
Doombear
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:33 PM)
Doombear's Avatar
Great OT Luulubuu! Just finished my transfer from 3DS.

Originally Posted by Seik

I envy you, Japanese-reading GAFers. :(

As many have said... heh

That is all done with maybe a .5% understanding of the language. Granted also done with a very complete understanding of the "Monster Hunter" Language though =)

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

Can you remake your character when you upgrade from MHX to XX? I want to change my appearance but don't want to lose my HR progress.

I didn't see anything like that. Transfer is pretty straghtorward. You upload from 3ds to Capcom servers. Then on Switch you download it. Just a straight across transfer. I could have missed something, but I was translating every screen along the way and saw zero mention of it.
Hybris
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:37 PM)
Hybris's Avatar
So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.
JimPanzer
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:37 PM)
JimPanzer's Avatar
already had my fair share with the 3DS version of XX and I don't own a switch anymore (sold it after beating zelda). But all those MH World videos made me yearn for some more MH...hmm...maybe next month. Does buying via paypal outside of Japan work? I heard it's still bound to the region of your paypal acc.
Kysen
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:38 PM)
Kysen's Avatar

Originally Posted by JimPanzer

already had my fair share with the 3DS version of XX and I don't own a switch anymore (sold it after beating zelda). But all those MH World videos made me yearn for some more MH...hmm...maybe next month. Does buying via paypal outside of Japan work? I heard it's still bound to the region of your paypal acc.

It doesn't, you have to buy prepaid cards :(
RiderKairuu
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:39 PM)
RiderKairuu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hybris

So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.

I take it homebrewing and converting save is a difficult process? I wouldn't even know where to start with that.
tuffy
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:42 PM)
tuffy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hybris

So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.

I'd pretty much have to because I'm in no mood for 3DS hackery either. But if I do, I think I'll try light bowgunning it from the start instead for a change of pace.
Shizuka
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:42 PM)
Shizuka's Avatar
I'm here for the OT subtitle, YAS!
Kinsei
Banned
(08-24-2017, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Hybris

So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.

I will be. My 3DS has no homebrew so I can;t change my Gen save to a X save.
345triangle
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:44 PM)
345triangle's Avatar
i've bought this but i can't find public wi-fi fast enough to download it anywhere in cologne. hope i can get it sorted before my flight back to japan tomorrow :/
Otakumegane
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:45 PM)
Otakumegane's Avatar
I wish I could play this but I can't invest the time to do through a dictionary everytime.

I'll be sitting this one out.
georly
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:46 PM)
georly's Avatar
Amazing OT. Looking forward to digging into it soon, puppies permitting. Likely means i won't get a lot of online in any time soon but i should be able to tackle some single player stuff.

Pro-tip for people playing who can't read japanese - google translate app lets your take pictures of japanese text and it translates it for you - lifesaver on MH4 for me - should be even easier on switch since it's not 240p.



Originally Posted by Beats

First time importing a Monster Hunter game.

Here's some links to some translation resources:

MHXX Database: https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/ - You can switch languages at the top right.

Poogie Translate: http://mhapi.info/translate/

Options Menu Translation

Good stuff, ty!
Hybris
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:49 PM)
Hybris's Avatar

Originally Posted by RiderKairuu

I take it homebrewing and converting save is a difficult process? I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

From what I've read it's pretty simple actually. There have been some bans recently but apparently they have workarounds for that now. There's always a risk though, and I kind of want to start fresh anyway, so no point for me I suppose.
Tacorona72
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:54 PM)
Tacorona72's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hybris

So anyone else starting a fresh save? I played Gen and not X and I don't feel like homebrewing my 3DS. I'd be down for some hunts once I get settled in.

Yeah, I didn't nor will I homebrew, so will be starting fresh as well.

Not sure when I'll get the game though
Alric
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:56 PM)
Alric's Avatar
I need to find or create flashcards for all the monster hunter Japanese terms so I can start practicing.
nubbe
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:03 PM)
nubbe's Avatar
Will be waiting a few weeks for my physical copy :|
Will be worth it for the 200h+ gameplay
shoryukens
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:04 PM)
shoryukens's Avatar
To those who imported the game. Can you assign the L and R functions to ZL and ZR respectively? This is a big factor for me since I hated using those bumpers.
georly
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:14 PM)
georly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alric

I need to find or create flashcards for all the monster hunter Japanese terms so I can start practicing.

You're better off learning hiragana/katakana (about 80~ characters in total) the same way. Free flashcard apps on phones and tons of resources. Once you do that you realize most of the japanese words are just weirdly written english words and you can navigate menus and items super easily.

So like - ハンマー = Ha n ma- = hamma- = hammer.

ヘビィボウガン = he bi i bo u ga n = hebi bougan = heavy bowgun.

I learned both after practicing for maybe an hour a day for a couple weeks. It's super doable in your free time.
molnizzle
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:16 PM)
molnizzle's Avatar
Top tier OT title.

Really wish I knew Japanese.
TreIII
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:18 PM)
Subbed. Starting over since I, too, don't want to bother with any foolishness with hacking and homebrew, either.

Thankfully, Beast Prowlers exist and are are just as busted as Brave style.
ShadowFox08
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:26 PM)
ShadowFox08's Avatar
Does it have English subtitles?

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!
sirap
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:28 PM)
sirap's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowFox08

Does it have English subtitles?

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!

No...
Gotdatmoney
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:29 PM)
Not getting this but that OT title is superb
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(08-24-2017, 09:30 PM)
Aostia's Avatar
Demo is great but... Too hard to play it in Japanese imho
Can I Localization beg?!
Lelou
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:33 PM)
Lelou's Avatar
my saves are completly lost on my generation cartridge...

200 hours lost..
C'mon capacrom..

Anyway i will buy the game anyway, helping myself with the usual tools of the hunters, ah.
georly
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:33 PM)
georly's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowFox08

Does it have English subtitles?

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!

Hi yes i am an expert in technical stuff and i can technically tell you it does not have subtitles in english.
Alric
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:34 PM)
Alric's Avatar

Originally Posted by georly

You're better off learning hiragana/katakana (about 80~ characters in total) the same way. Free flashcard apps on phones and tons of resources. Once you do that you realize most of the japanese words are just weirdly written english words and you can navigate menus and items super easily.

So like - ハンマー = Ha n ma- = hamma- = hammer.

ヘビィボウガン = he bi i bo u ga n = hebi bougan = heavy bowgun.

I learned both after practicing for maybe an hour a day for a couple weeks. It's super doable in your free time.

I know both, it's the Kanji stuff I don't know or what the hirigana say without looking up each word. At least Katakana I can most of the time assume as it's foreign words usually.
Sammy Samusu
(08-24-2017, 09:34 PM)
Sammy Samusu's Avatar
Rip
georly
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:43 PM)
georly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alric

I know both, it's the Kanji stuff I don't know or what the hirigana say without looking up each word. At least Katakana I can most of the time assume as it's foreign words usually.

Ah! Then yes, i, too, will have to start learning the kanji, haha.
Deband
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:56 PM)
Deband's Avatar
Not sure whether I'm in or not. I'll wait and read all your impressions.
Doombear
Member
(08-24-2017, 10:25 PM)
Doombear's Avatar

Originally Posted by georly

Pro-tip for people playing who can't read japanese - google translate app lets your take pictures of japanese text and it translates it for you - lifesaver on MH4 for me - should be even easier on switch since it's not 240p.



Good stuff, ty!

Pro-tip for the pro-tip! Know that, in my experience at least, the Instant Translate feature for Japanese Language can be a bit less exact than the manual translation option (take a photo, swipe over the text you want to translate). Just in case any of you try it, have Instant on and aren't getting very understandable results =P Try turning Instant off and see if that helps you. It is not every time that the results are a bit silly with Instant, but often (for me).
luulubuu
Junior Member
(08-24-2017, 10:34 PM)
luulubuu's Avatar
Edited a bit the OT to offer most of the help you guys posted, thanks!

Originally Posted by ShadowFox08

Does it have English subtitles?

Digital Foundary or someone that is an expert in technical stuff, please get on this!

Did you actually read the OT or ANY of the news regarding the game.
Cosmo Clock 21
Banned
(08-24-2017, 10:41 PM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alric

I know both, it's the Kanji stuff I don't know or what the hirigana say without looking up each word. At least Katakana I can most of the time assume as it's foreign words usually.

While it's a bit more work, learning a few common kanji used in the MH lexicon will help tremendously. Things like
牙 = fang
爪 = claw
for example.
Alric
Member
(08-24-2017, 10:42 PM)
Alric's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

While it's a bit more work, learning a few common kanji used in the MH lexicon will help tremendously. Things like
牙 = fang
爪 = claw
for example.

Yes, it's why I want to go through and make some flashcards for AnkiDroid so I can practice in my downtime at work.

Thread Tools