• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Wrong lol
Last edited by ethomaz; 09-14-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Baraka Obama
Junior Member
(09-14-2017, 01:35 AM)
Baraka Obama's Avatar
Sequel that refines everything the first suffered with.
Twilight Gap
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:37 AM)
Twilight Gap's Avatar
It's a safe sequel. Almost every corner of the game has been expanded, reworked, or brought into "next gen", so calling it an expansion is disingenuous when you compare the differences 1:1. However, many of those differences are superficial muscle memory changes - like reworking the way bounties/quests/milestones are accumulated -and they didn't really make any attempt to change the core formula of the game outside of the Crucible. Strikes are very much the same thing with a few mechanics sprinkled in, and the character creator especially lacks any change whatsoever. Those things, among others, can be seen as lacks of progress that hold the game back.

I think it largely took a positive leap forward, but it is still very rough around the edges. Hopefully they pull out more stops for Destiny 3 now that they're coming into a better understanding of what kind of game they are able to make with today's technology.
Last edited by Twilight Gap; 09-14-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Trickster
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:49 AM)
Trickster's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Jazz Cabbage Master

After reading this thread I would hate to be a developer. The idea that Bungie should have brand new enemy races in each game for it to be deemed a sequel is insane to me. And then some of the posts saying the enemies from D1 are the exact same in D2 leave me baffled as well when you the Fallen for example with completely new move sets, new variants, a new look, and amazing combat animations like the skitter. Feels kinda like Destiny has some absurdly unrealistic expectations compared to other games.

That last bit is really not true. Destiny 2 had high expectations compared to Destiny 1, yes. But that's because Destiny 1 was a shell of a game with tons of horrible design choices. Not because some unrealistic standard was applied to Destiny 2 (blind haters aside).

Most of what they've done with regards to Story, game design and qol improvements were things that people rightfully thought Destiny 1 would have had at launch, rather than be some of the big ticket items in the sequel 3 years later.

I also think that most people expected basic things like improved character creation or more classes to be obvious things for a sequel. I also don't think this is something that you can say is an unrealistic expectation
17 Seconds
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:49 AM)
reboot
Twilight Gap
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:50 AM)
Twilight Gap's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirit of Jazz

What do you feel are the major improvements over TTK?

Depends on how you look at it.

It's a positive change that quests, adventures, loots, patrols, and story missions are all out in the world and contextualized, and the loot is given through a vendor who resides on the planet. However, it's a negative change that you can't retrigger the story missions from the UI without going through a vendor

It's a positive change that shaders and mods can be applied to virtually every piece of Rare or higher gear in the game. But it's a negative change that you can only use it once and then you lose it when you replace it or delete the gear.

It's a positive change that the subclass builds are streamlined to have more purpose and synergy among the talents. But it's a negative change that there is virtually no personalization in that area, so you're basically choosing between "PvE skills" vs "PvP skills". This is obviously done to make the classes "more balanced" across the modes and prevent people from abusing a certain combination, but it feels like a step backward.

And lastly, it's (mostly) a positive change for PvP that most of the special weapons are now considered power weapons. But across the board, and especally in PvE, the game has a lot of long drawn out fights and I feel like I spend just as much time shooting as I do reloading because enemies are often still alive after dumping ammo into them. There also don't appear to be heavy ammo synths anymore, which is frustrating as you go through heroic public events without any heavy drops.

So throw that last change on top of the fact that grenades and supers take much longer to accumulate and the game ends up feeling slower and grindier in a lot of ways.

Fortunately, beyond a few baffling animation cooldowns, I don't get the clunky feeling that I did post Taken King. D2 handles pretty well, so hopefully they don't put the game under the knife and start messing with it.
Last edited by Twilight Gap; 09-14-2017 at 01:52 AM.
GametimeUK
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:53 AM)
GametimeUK's Avatar
A sequel.

At the end of the day Destiny 2 doesn't expand on the original and fails to integrate itself into Destiny 1's service at all. The original is not needed to play it etc amongst other things. Whether it feels like an expansion of sorts is a different question, but I'd argue that it is a sequel by definition and not an expansion.

(Edit) people saying reboot wtf? The game literally carries on from the first game and exists in the same universe with the same characters and everything. No, it is not a reboot.
Last edited by GametimeUK; 09-14-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Kremzeek
Member
(09-14-2017, 01:55 AM)
Kremzeek's Avatar
needs some new enemies for sure. after shooting all these in D1, doing it with the same enemies is kind of a huge letdown actually.
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 01:56 AM)

Originally Posted by GlamFM

Sequel.

I find the 1.5 talk ridiculous tbh.

That's because it is ridiculous...it's a sequel in every way by definition. People in this thread falling over themselves trying to re-define what a sequel is to push an agenda lol.
N3DS
Junior Member
(09-14-2017, 01:58 AM)

Originally Posted by kikiribu

It basically just feels like a more complete version of the first game, so yeah, kind of like an expansion.

Yep this is how I feel.
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 02:00 AM)

Originally Posted by N3DS

Yep this is how I feel.

So like every other sequel than?
Sarobi
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:00 AM)
Sarobi's Avatar
Feels like a reboot. It's very similar to the same game, but now they can milk the PC crowd.
GametimeUK
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:02 AM)
GametimeUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kremzeek

needs some new enemies for sure. after shooting all these in D1, doing it with the same enemies is kind of a huge letdown actually.

Games like Zelda and Mario have existed since I was born, they use the same enemies constantly in almost every game and whilst there are new enemies in these games there are also new enemies in Destiny 2. Games like Uncharted has you fighting humans all the way through it etc across all of the games. Military shooters play it safe with all of their shooters.

Destiny exists in an established universe with a bunch if different races and lore surrounding them. It makes sense to have them re appear. In top of that a lot if enemies have new tricks up their sleeves and new gear.
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 02:08 AM)

Originally Posted by GametimeUK

Games like Zelda and Mario have existed since I was born, they use the same enemies constantly in almost every game and whilst there are new enemies in these games there are also new enemies in Destiny 2. Games like Uncharted has you fighting humans all the way through it etc across all of the games. Military shooters play it safe with all of their shooters.

Destiny exists in an established universe with a bunch if different races and lore surrounding them. It makes sense to have them re appear. In top of that a lot if enemies have new tricks up their sleeves and new gear.

It's OK because Nintendo does it....people in this thread are tripping, it's a sequel, just like Gears 2 was, ME2 was, and on, and on.
Z3M0G
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:13 AM)
Z3M0G's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kor of Memory

I call it a Mulligan, but yeah, basically this.

The fact that there are no new Fallen, Hive, or Vex enemies really feels like it doesn't quite reach a full sequel.

Really? There are only new Cabal types?
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

Really? There are only new Cabal types?

That's not true,....he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are new Fallen types as well, not sure about vex TBH.
DerpHause
Junior Member
(09-14-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by ExtinctionEvent

It's OK because Nintendo does it....people in this thread are tripping, it's a sequel, just like Gears 2 was, ME2 was, and on, and on.

To be direct, it's OK because it makes sense. We didn't have any sort of event at the end of D1 that changed the face of the solar system or it's inhabitants save the fallen with Siva. They didn't fling events far into the future of D1's settings. Continuity of any sort with the established world building would tend to leave things unchanged without reason for them to have changed.

Originally Posted by ExtinctionEvent

That's not true,....he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are new Fallen types as well, not sure about vex TBH.

The Vex seem more or less the same to me save new bosses and that purple beam weapon.
Bulby
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:15 AM)
Bulby's Avatar
Sequel for sure.

I played Destiny vanilla for around 30 hours before that bullshit drops, and lack of content made me hit a brick wall.

Ive played around 40 hours of Destiny 2 and Ive only finished off the EDZ content so far.
EVA UNIT 01
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:16 AM)
EVA UNIT 01's Avatar
Expansion...but a goddamn good one and so who really cares?
KZXcellent
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:16 AM)
KZXcellent's Avatar
It's a sequel, I can't understand people's take on this and Splatoon 2 not being sequels. Especially Destiny 2.
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 02:16 AM)

Originally Posted by DerpHause

To be direct, it's OK because it makes sense. We didn't have any sort of event at the end of D1 that changed the face of the solar system or it's inhabitants save the fallen with Siva. They didn't fling events far into the future of D1's settings. Continuity of any sort with the established world building would tend to leave things unchanged without reason for them to have changed.

It makes sense in Destiny and many other games..... you only proved my point.
Kor of Memory
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:16 AM)
Kor of Memory's Avatar

Originally Posted by lt519

The only completely new enemies are Cabal like war dogs, incinerators, and the blade guys I think? Every other race is tweaked slightly to maybe have new movement or weapons but it doesn't really impact how you fight them at all.

Originally Posted by ExtinctionEvent

That's not true,....he doesn't know what he is talking about. There are new Fallen types as well, not sure about vex TBH.

So who is right here?
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:16 AM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trickster

I also think that most people expected basic things like improved character creation or more classes to be obvious things for a sequel. I also don't think this is something that you can say is an unrealistic expectation

Especially when said character creator doesn't have something as simple as beards.
DerpHause
Junior Member
(09-14-2017, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by ExtinctionEvent

It makes sense in Destiny and many other games..... you only proved my point.

It was intended to agree with your examples so...yeah?

Originally Posted by Kor of Memory

So who is right here?

Fallen got new glaive wielding melee enemy units, Vandals run differently (using 4 of their 6 apendages) and there appears to be a new hooded model for the cloaking ones IIRC.
Last edited by DerpHause; 09-14-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Falchion
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:30 AM)
Falchion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirit of Jazz

What do you feel are the major improvements over TTK?

Not having to go to the Tower all the time to pick up bounties, etc. Being able to fast travel without going to orbit. The inclusion of a very nice map. Being able to see where and when public events will be in the game. Much less grinding.
psynergylover
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:34 AM)
psynergylover's Avatar
it's a bonafied sequel; I don't understand why this game gets dredged through the mud on this topic, if Destiny is not a sequel then no game is.
Hoho for breakfast
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:35 AM)
Hoho for breakfast's Avatar
It's a sequel, but one with way too many recycled enemies.
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:35 AM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kremzeek

needs some new enemies for sure. after shooting all these in D1, doing it with the same enemies is kind of a huge letdown actually.

Honestly I wouldn't mind something more human-ish as either an enemy, allied or neutral faction(potentially a character race as well)

Originally Posted by psynergylover

I don't understand why this game gets dredged through the mud on this topic,

Its entirely based on the first game.
ExtinctionEvent
Banned
(09-14-2017, 02:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

Honestly I wouldn't mind something more human-ish as either an enemy, allied or neutral faction(potentially a character race as well)


Its entirely based on the first game.

no it isn't, it's no different than any sequel...
psynergylover
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:41 AM)
psynergylover's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

Honestly I wouldn't mind something more human-ish as either an enemy, allied or neutral faction(potentially a character race as well)


Its entirely based on the first game.

and other sequels have not!? that's the point of a sequel...it's based of the first

God of War
Gears of War
Uncharted
Tomb Raider
Mass Effect
Resident Evil

what ever number their on they and all the predecessors owe their roots to their first game.
ramyeon
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:44 AM)
ramyeon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

Its entirely based on the first game.

What does this even mean? Seriously.
Gator86
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:44 AM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kor of Memory

So who is right here?

Only new enemies for the Cabal. I have two characters at 290 and I can't recall anything new for the other races so if they're there, they're not remarkable. This includes the Taken who are also straight recycled, I believe.
robertoci
Junior Member
(09-14-2017, 02:44 AM)
robertoci's Avatar
It's a sequel.
ramyeon
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:45 AM)
ramyeon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gator86

Only new enemies for the Cabal. I have two characters at 290 and I can't recall anything new for the other races so if they're there, they're not remarkable. This includes the Taken who are also straight recycled, I believe.

There are new Fallen as well. Wretch and Marauder are both new.
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(09-14-2017, 02:58 AM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar

Originally Posted by ramyeon

What does this even mean? Seriously.

If the first game actually had a decent amount of content at launch this wouldn't be an issue.
Them then doing expansions opened themselves up to it even more.

As I said look at the genre they are trying to compare to,
FFXIV base game had far more content even after all Destiny 1's expansion,
Stormblood and Heavensward both have more content than Destiny 2 at nearly half the initial price.
Last edited by Razgriz-Specter; 09-14-2017 at 03:04 AM.
17 Seconds
Member
(09-14-2017, 03:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

If the first game actually had a decent amount of content at launch this wouldn't be an issue.
Them then doing expansions opened themselves up to it even more.

As I said look at the genre they are trying to compare to,
FFXIV base game had far more content even after all Destiny 1's expansion,
Stormblood and Heavensward both have more content than Destiny 2 at half the price.

oh great, the "no content" argument. one of the dumbest complaints about the first game.

meanwhile nobody ever says shit about games like uncharted giving you 20 hour campaigns with no replayability.

of all the complaints you could have about destiny, content for price was never a valid one, no matter how you define content.
Surface of Me
Member
(09-14-2017, 03:07 AM)
Surface of Me's Avatar

Originally Posted by 17 Seconds

oh great, the "no content" argument. one of the dumbest complaints about the first game.

meanwhile nobody ever says shit about games like uncharted giving you 20 hour campaigns with no replayability.

of all the complaints you could have about destiny, content for price was never a valid one, no matter how you define content.



Better than a 5 hour campaign with no replayability but you are expected to replay it for 20 hours to grind.
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(09-14-2017, 03:10 AM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar

Originally Posted by 17 Seconds

oh great, the "no content" argument. one of the dumbest complaints about the first game.

meanwhile nobody ever says shit about games like uncharted giving you 20 hour campaigns with no replayability.

of all the complaints you could have about destiny, content for price was never a valid one, no matter how you define content.

Replaying a mission a billion times for a piece of gear so you can eventually replay another mission a billion times to continue the loop isn't replayability.
Yes it happens in MMOs but they are also so stuffed with content you aren't repeating the same one over and over unless you want specific drops.

Destiny 2 is by far a better game, but there is nothing there that couldn't have been in 1 or added in another expansion(especially in other games not named Destiny).
Honestly the free bridge expansions for XIV probably have more story content than Destiny even.
Last edited by Razgriz-Specter; 09-14-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Gator86
Member
(09-14-2017, 03:14 AM)
Gator86's Avatar

Originally Posted by ramyeon

There are new Fallen as well. Wretch and Marauder are both new.

Ah, true. I completely forgot about them even having played in the neighborhood of 50 hours or something. They're incredibly unremarkable, albeit they are new.

I look forward to seeing the giant versions of them as bosses in the expansion strikes.

Thread Tools