• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

MrSaturn99
(09-13-2017, 11:49 PM)
This is an amazing idea. Don't really give a shit about what system it's on, although no online is a miss.

Bumper Balls and Grab Bag pls!
Stopdoor
(09-13-2017, 11:51 PM)
I wonder if it's a download title? I can't imagine they'll release a retail copy just with minigames...?

I'm totally down for it but it's weird because there's already 2 Mario Party games on 3DS anyway.
Kouichi
I need this
Beer Monkey
Jesus at the port begging. Switch has take. It to a new level.
BizzyBum
(09-13-2017, 11:52 PM)
Even if it's 3DS only which is lame, how the hell does this not have online support?

Top 100 mini-games across all the MP's and no online? Like, just fucking mind boggling shit.
SomedayTheFire
(09-13-2017, 11:53 PM)
I've never ever been so happy and so devastated in such a short amount of time. Fuck.
Stopdoor
(09-13-2017, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by BizzyBum

Even if it's 3DS only which is lame, how the hell does this not have online support?

Top 100 mini-games across all the MP's and no online? Like, just fucking mind boggling shit.

Have you ever played an online minigame collection? Devising online netcode for entirely different mechanics and goals and precision isn't really trivial.

Just saying it might be more than "it's fun to play on the coach".
CloudStrife_ca
(09-13-2017, 11:57 PM)
This on the Switch would have been good, online features would have been better but I'll still end up buying it regardless.
Kouichi
(09-13-2017, 11:59 PM)
They should put crane game in just to fuck with us
Blues1990
(09-14-2017, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Kouichi

They should put crane game in just to fuck with us

You monster.
Cody_D165
(09-14-2017, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Dessart

Dan is probably ecstatic.

Giant Bomb should marathon all 100 minigames and keep score 😂😂😂
CrunchyFrog
(09-14-2017, 12:01 AM)
I don't understand the desire for online multiplayer in this series. The game would definitely suck ass playing with total strangers, as it's been definitively proven these games are luck based broken as fuck toys, and I feel like even with friends it would lose a lot of its charm hearing voices through a speaker instead of right there in the same room.

What's far more bonkers is the fact that this wasn't announced for Switch. Must be prepping a proper installment next year. Also still splitting their console and handheld teams against the entire consolidation ethos that the company has been building to the last 5 years.
KingdomHeartsFan
If it has good boards I'm in.
ASaiyan

Originally Posted by Agent_Carnage

It would be kinda pointless if there is no boards to play like a Mario party game.

This. Can we please just bring back classic pre-9 Mario Party gameplay? I'll even take it on 3DS.

Originally Posted by Feffe

I was hoping for Wario Ware Megamix :/

This too, lol. The teaser line made me think WarioWare.
Last edited by ASaiyan; 09-14-2017 at 12:04 AM.
FUNKNOWN iXi
This is so damn awesome, but I just cannot care about playing on the 3DS ;'[

Put this on Switch with online play though? Day 0.
Feffe
(09-14-2017, 12:02 AM)
I was hoping for Wario Ware Megamix :/
Revven
(09-14-2017, 12:03 AM)
If this doesn't have boards then that just means a theoretical Switch Mario Party could include the best boards from each game + a different set of older mini-games? That's what I would want on the Switch, really.
Shang
(09-14-2017, 12:04 AM)
Mario Party could easily be a fucking behemoth, regularly doing sales and earning respect akin to Mario Kart. But for some reason, Nintendo treats the series like dogshit, constantly releasing undercooked, tone deaf installments and further damaging the series' tarnished reputation.

Just make one like the first three with online and put it on Switch. That's all you have to do. Work from there.
Metalmarc
(09-14-2017, 12:07 AM)
Almost every replay to NoA twitter posting of this game is asking for Switch version lol

Oops Nintendo, oops
ironmang
(09-14-2017, 12:09 AM)

Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog

I don't understand the desire for online multiplayer in this series. The game would definitely suck ass playing with total strangers, as it's been definitively proven these games are luck based broken as fuck toys, and I feel like even with friends it would lose a lot of its charm hearing voices through a speaker instead of right there in the same room.

What's far more bonkers is the fact that this wasn't announced for Switch. Must be prepping a proper installment next year. Also still splitting their console and handheld teams against the entire consolidation ethos that the company has been building to the last 5 years.

Losing some of it's charm is better than not being able to play with this friends at all if they don't live close by.
Samanosuke Akechi
(09-14-2017, 12:10 AM)
Wait no switch?????
BassForever
(09-14-2017, 12:11 AM)
No online
3ds only

Those aren't the problem

A game of only mini games is the disappointment. Why not the best board from each game so have a true mario party highlights.
Menitta
(09-14-2017, 12:14 AM)
Buying this day 1. What an amazing idea.
Waluigilicious
(09-14-2017, 12:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Menitta

Buying this day 1. What an amazing idea.

lol. I and many others had this idea like 5 years ago. Probably posted it all over the place. Nintendo definitely follows internet forums.

You win, 3DS. Ultra Moon was going to be the first mainline Pokémon game ever that I will skip as I had moved on from the 3DS, but you win dammit. I'm getting this.

I actually won't be surprised if they bring a similar game to the Switch in the future. Maybe a top 150 also including handheld games and of course boards etc.
_woLf
(09-14-2017, 12:20 AM)
My biggest problem with this is my friends don't bring their 3DS anywhere anymore, nor do I. Friends bring their Switch.

Buying this to play against only CPUs seems like a waste, and with no online, it's just legitimately one of the biggest wasted opportunities I've seen in a long time.
Sammy Samusu
(09-14-2017, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by iBlue

No online no purchase

Say it louder!
m_shortpants
(09-14-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Beer Monkey

Jesus at the port begging. Switch has take. It to a new level.

My guess is it's because for most people, the Switch has replaced the 3DS as their main portable Nintendo console...
Saucestin_Roast
(09-14-2017, 12:23 AM)
Really wish this wasn't only mini games. Also I'm sad it is 3DS only. Where was this 3-4 years ago? Mario Party belongs on a TV in a living room with friends.
Trigonometrize.
(09-14-2017, 12:26 AM)
Not enough love for Bumper Balloon cars. Mind games: the minigame.
Deft Beck
(09-14-2017, 12:26 AM)

Originally Posted by BizzyBum

Why devise new netcode for a late-gen 3DS release of a series that is historically dependent on not everyone having to own a copy of the game?

Download play over infrastructure is impossible.

Originally Posted by m_shortpants

My guess is it's because for most people, the Switch has replaced the 3DS as their main portable Nintendo console...

If the recent survey conducted by Nintendo is any indication, most people play their Switch at home.
Chopper
(09-14-2017, 12:27 AM)
Whilst I am alarmed and disappointed that this won't be available on a console that comes with two controllers packed in with the console, and doesn't appear to have onine capabilities...

I will buy this.
Waluigilicious
(09-14-2017, 12:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Trigonometrize.

Not enough love for Bumper Balloon cars. Mind games: the minigame.

I've played every single Mario Party extensively and Bumper Balloon Cars is easily in my top 10.

Originally Posted by Deft Beck

Why devise new netcode for a late-gen 3DS release of a series that is historically dependent on not everyone having to own a copy of the game?

Download play over infrastructure is impossible.

If the recent survey conducted by Nintendo is any indication, most people play their Switch at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case with 3DS, but of course a survey like this was not made.
ShyMel
(09-14-2017, 12:32 AM)
Meh, not really interested...*Sees the falling ice cream game in the trailer* I've changed my mind. Hopefully Hotel Goomba and the Chainchomp park games are in as well. So many memories playing those with my sister.
Zalman
(09-14-2017, 12:32 AM)
I'm super into this idea and I will likely buy it. However, yeah... This should've been a full release with classic boards as well.
Nocturnowl
(09-14-2017, 12:33 AM)
I wont lie, I got hype seeing the likes of Shy Guy Says, Booksquirm, Pushy Penguins, Bumper Balls, Coney Island, beanstalk and that one face stretching game in the trailer.

But then suddenly, the pokey game where you just mash A, top 100 huh?
Bentendo
(09-14-2017, 12:33 AM)
Needs to have every Mario Party eReader game or NO BUY.
BanjoLayleeYookaKazooie
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:35 AM)
I'll probably end up buying this. Could've been a lot better but I still like portable versions of 100 really good (hopefully) Mario Party games.

Interested in the price.
Fast Forward
(09-14-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Alpha_eX

Why the heck isn't this on Switch? What a missed opportunity, all of my friends have Switches now and no one brings out their 3DS.

This.

I still have my new XL and all, but whether it be Hey Pikmin, Metroid II, and now this I much rather play games on my Switch moving forward.

Originally Posted by VGChampion

The only bad thing is my top 100 and their top 100 probably aren't the same. But I'm hoping most of my faves make it in.

True, but I'm setting the bar lower. Just leave out the annoying "spin the stick" games out of the equation (or whatever you call them), and I'll call it a win.
Poltergust
(09-14-2017, 12:37 AM)
If there is no online then this is definitely a pass for me. I simply do not understand why they put forth no effort into doing that for this game especially; the people who would most likely fondly look back at these mini-games are adults who would have next to no one to play with locally.

I have no idea who greenlit this with online play being off the table. Who would buy it?

I say this as someone who actually does get together with friends from time to time to play Mario Party. I can't imagine my situation being at all common, though.
bananafactory
(09-14-2017, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by m_shortpants

Switch port begging is annoying when it comes to 3rd party stuff, but honestly for 1st party titles I have no idea why most of them aren't also releasing on Switch.

I sold my 3DS to pay for my Switch and a lot of people have moved on from that 2011 device, it just baffles me why Nintendo wouldn't just launch this on both systems.
Vidiot
(09-14-2017, 12:45 AM)
Yeah, it being 3DS only killed any chance I had of getting this. I don't care much that it isn't online as I still have some gamer buddies that I hang out with from time to time and honestly this is a series nongamers can pick up and play and have a great time. Having a bunch of people with 3DS systems around like never happens for me though. If it was on Switch it would likely be a buy. As a 3DS only game I won't even consider it. Shame. :/
KojiKnight
(09-14-2017, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Poltergust

If there is no online then this is definitely a pass for me. I simply do not understand why they put forth no effort into doing that for this game especially; the people who would most likely fondly look back at these mini-games are adults who would have next to no one to play with locally.

I have no idea who greenlit this with online play being off the table. Who would buy it?

I say this as someone who actually does get together with friends from time to time to play Mario Party. I can't imagine my situation being at all common, though.

Or an adult with young kids who'd love this. Like myself :)
SatoAilDarko
(09-14-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by BassForever

No online
3ds only

Those aren't the problem

A game of only mini games is the disappointment. Why not the best board from each game so have a true mario party highlights.

Indeed.

Pure minigames makes this undesirable anyway.
Poltergust
(09-14-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by KojiKnight

Or an adult with young kids who'd love this. Like myself :)

Well, if you all have 3DSes then that's great.
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(09-14-2017, 12:50 AM)
I have a feeling we will see the first Switch Mario Party at E3, and I'm betting it has online play.
rtcn63
(09-14-2017, 12:51 AM)
How the fuck do you play Mario Party on a 3DS that shit is painful enough to hold already
Giga Man
(09-14-2017, 12:51 AM)
This is legit the only game I'm mad is not on the Switch. I don't want to play Mario Party on a handheld. However, if this doesn't have boards (or traditional Mario Party board game play), this will get a hard pass regardless.
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(09-14-2017, 12:52 AM)
I wonder what the roster is gonna be---are you just gonna have default characters for each game? Or will you pick a character from perhaps past Mario Party characters and then play the Mini-Games as them?

Would love to see Blooper and Spike back.
Polioliolio
(09-14-2017, 12:53 AM)
Dammit. 3DS? Come on....

Great idea though. Too bad I've retired my 3DS for good.
Painguy
(09-14-2017, 12:58 AM)
Grab Bag or bust