• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

It's still cel-shading. Instead of saying it's not, people should make more factually accurate statements, like, "It no longer looks like a cartoon!" and "Bloom ruins everything!" and "Why does the outline of the island make my eyes burn!"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What's with the talking about re-thinking the conventions of Zelda before the announcement? Less linear and no more playing by yourself?

Didn't they already do the playing by yourself thing with Four Sword and it sorta flopped? I swear if they put a shitty "multiplayer" thing in like Marios Starite MP I'll just lol and keep playin my Zelda.

Majora's Mask was the right direction to go, Linear while still having a sense of "openness". Should really revisit Termina.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Didn't the devs mention that they wished they had a little more time to work on the game? Hopefully they can add some good stuff and tweak a few things.

That annoying fetch quest for one. And wand macros or something so I don't have to keep doing that shit over and over again.

I know those are "beta" images, but for now I think they took the wrong route. Perfect example of style > graphics.

Those eyebrows!

jett

D-Member
Screen1-Large.jpg

Dolphin version looks stunning, i have to replay that one at some point :)

Maybe they have an option on the WiiU version to look like that and not destroy it with "next gen" graphics ?

pfft, not good enough. Let's nextgenisize that sunnavabitch

untitled-2lwkt2.png

HD all over your face

They definitely toned down the cel-shading. I'm not sure if I like the different style but it does look cleaner and prettier for sure.
Cleaner? With all that bloom it looks kinda messy. But comparing GC to Wii U, the res is a big step up so in that sense it 'sharper', making jaggies less apparent... which could be interpreted as 'cleaner'.

Prettier? Hmmm. Everything now looks radioactive (or at least, the cartoon interpretation of what radioactivity looks like). I can deal with a bit of bloom, but messing with the colours was totally unnecessary.

zigg

I am going to charitably assume these screenies are way early and do not represent the final product, which should not be ugly.

Probably one of the best HD remakes I have seen. Definitely up there with the ICO collection. I have never played Wind Waker though and am not really interested in buying this, however it does look like some effort was put in rather than a dirty port. Is it me or does the colours look really saturated?

Hakai

Smh to people not liking the HD graphics.

It is celshaded, but with better lighting, that make you see the volumes of the models better.

The old one was not 2D, it never was!!

zroid

Banned
So here's the big question: how much will they charge for this, and will it be a retail release?

I'm thinking $40 and yes

SykoTech

The last great Zelda game in HD, nice. Don't think I'll be buying though unless they add back the cut dungeons
and make the Triforce Hunt more bearable
. Not much of a double-dipper.

Dolphin really spoiled people... I don't think team Nintendo really knows how to move into HD they are doing the best they can.
I doubt Celda artstyle would have looked as good on Wii U as it does on Dolphin modded by fans. Leave Nintendo alone you whiners!

You know what it looks like now?

3ds_animalcr_5_scrn11_e3.jpg

Zelda to finally sell millions in Japan again

Servbot24

Banned
I agree the graphics are not as nice as the original but I'm willing to bet they look far better in motion.

My main concern is whether we get new content.

JollyWolf

It is celshaded, but with better lighting, that make you see the volumes of the models better.

The lightning is much worse and the volumes make the character style look horrible.

pargonta

So here's the big question: how much will they charge for this, and will it be a retail release?

I'm thinking $40 and yes

i'm hoping it's bundled with a basic wii u for 300 dollars... that would be the perfect case for me to purchase a system.

nasos_333

I think that is only a problem, it looks nothing like the old one

Also the coloring has changed and the bloom is rather terrible

Reminds nothing of the reason i loved Zelda WW art/world TBH and looks like a tech demo of some engine

I am sure if done right a HD WW with better graphics would be grand, but this is defintly not the way to do it

Let's see spend $50 and play it in 720p with No AA, no AF and no new additions or pay like $20 or less and emulate on Dolphin with 1080p resolution, 8x AA, and 16x AF. hmm.... I'll choose Dolphin

TriGen

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509417

That thread there mentions "due by this fall" so August could probably work.

I'm just wondering if IGN knows what they're talking about or if they're just saying August because it could technically work. I generally wouldn't expect a game like this in August (though if their other big games come around November maybe they want the remake out sooner), so I'll assume IGN is jumping the gun and doesn't have confirmation.

Ithil

I can't wait for many of the people shitting on it now to be singing its praises when it's done. Nothing more fitting for Wind Waker than that.

I wish they'd add the cut dungeons back in. I'll buy a Wii U and this, but I don't look forward to the shitty Tri-Force fetch quest again.

Probably one of the best HD remakes I have seen. Definitely up there with the ICO collection. I have never played Wind Waker though and am not really interested in buying this, however it does look like some effort was put in rather than a dirty port. Is it me or does the colours look really saturated?

This post is all over the Great Sea.

Let's see spend $50 and play it in 720p with No AA, no AF and no new additions or pay like $20 or less and emulate on Dolphin with 1080p resolution, 8x AA, and 16x AF. hmm.... I'll choose Dolphin

So you can not only confirm the price, but that it will feature no new additions as well?

Please, go on. Tell us more. Where's Metroid Dread?

mattp

but...thats the issue
its not cel shaded anymore

they took the old models and textures and used shitty "hd gen" shaders instead
all soul and charm of the original is completely sucked out of the game's visuals now

Fitting that a Wind Waker unveiling would be shat on for its graphics.

Fans do love to complain, but I have to admit the game doesn't look how I thought it would.

Although thinking about it - every time I see the Wind Waker in motion, it doesn't look like I remember it.

I have this idea in my head that it's cel-shaded like Jet Set Radio, with a black outline around Link's head but that's not what it looked like. I'm looking forward to hearing about the "Gameplay tuning" improvements because I really enjoyed WW until that ridiculous fetch quest. Killed the pacing of the game entirely to the point where finishing it felt like a chore and I've never been able to bring myself to play it a second time. Maybe this year....

Taker666

I love the new style personally. Sure they could cut back the bloom but other than that it looks amazing.

No it isn't cell shaded... it's more pixar/claymation...but there's nothing wrong with that. It makes it look fresh IMO.

If I had a dollar for every mention of excessive bloom in this thread...

I can't wait for many of the people shitting on it now to be singing its praises when it's done. Nothing more fitting for Wind Waker than that.

It's like the Wind Waker E3 reveal all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom