• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing that some people in this thread are borderline hostile towards me because of my experience when similar things have been reported in both threads now, and likewise strange bugs have been documented in streams by pro players. Way to go GAF, I'm so proud to be a member of this wonderful community. Seriously people, get over it.

People don't believe you because many of us have also played thousands of matches and never seen anything like this. Without a screenshot, it is hard to believe. Just because we don't believe it doesn't mean we're hostile.

I guess what we're saying is that if this was a real thing it would be on reddit, the official forums, or really anywhere with a simple screenshot especially seeing as how it has apparently happened to multiple players.

embalm

I find it amusing that some people in this thread are borderline hostile towards me because of my experience when similar things have been reported in both threads now, and likewise strange bugs have been documented in streams by pro players. Way to go GAF, I'm so proud to be a member of this wonderful community. Seriously people, get over it.
I think that people just want to understand the issue or help you understand it if it's not a hack. I haven't seen other people talk about something like this in any of the previous threads, so it seems totally new. I also watch a lot of streams and videos and haven't seen anything like this before. A lot of those players stream all their games, so it seems like something that would be recorded.

What class were you even playing against? Was it a druid?

You say the game was hacked, but I think that's a little extreme. It sounds like you disconnected or lagged out. Sometimes those look like hacks/bugs with hovering cards, your turn zooming by, and the opponent making above mana plays, but that is just how the server catches things up. I bet what happened was something like this.

Game Starts.
You disconnect.
The opponent played an Alarm-o-bot.
Your turn is skipped.
Alarmo pulls Legendary
You reconnect and legendary came out of no where as game speeds up your updates.

Didn't they say Undertaker wasn't going to be nerfed and then they nerfed it a week later?

To be fair, when they said undertaker was not being planned on a nerf that was in an interview taken much earlier than the date of publication.

I don't think anyone has been hostile towards you. I don't think you're lying because I don't think you have a reason to lie, but I don't believe your account of what happened is accurate because almost everyone would hit screenshot about a 1000 times if what you said happened happened the way you said it happened.

It is true I have read MANY people claiming hacks. Yet 100% of them fail to provide proof and many times their retelling of events is explainable by other cards being played. Although I don't recall any specific mentions in GAF threads, it is not unheard of on the official forums, and most if not all of them are explainable and the ones that aren't have 0 screenshots or videos to support what they said.

I do recall a time where games were being synchronized terribly so if your opponent played X card, to you it would look like they played an entirely different card. Sometimes you'd have 1 class playing class minions of another class, and this was before gvg so no unstable/shredder shenanigans involved. But those were not hacks, they were server issues.

Midrange hunter is disgustingly good

I wonder what nerf will finally make Hunter bad, or if new cards will have an impact. Maybe if freezing trap didn't inflict such a cost penalty on what it bounces back. Even though kill command is what finishes games I don't think it's actually the card that wins them.

I don't look forward to turn 3 eaglehorn -> turn 4 hungry dragon

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Help me tweak my Mage Deck GAF Part 2...

screenshot_2015-03-13u9usu.jpg

What should I do to tweak my deck provided I actually have the cards suggested?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I would probably take out one of the Oozes and put in a Mad Scientist given you seem to have one Mirror Entity.

I'm assuming you don't have a huge card collection at this point, but replacing the Micro Machine with another Spider Tank or a Harvest Golem might make more sense.

Similarly the flame cannons would probably be better served as Clockwork Gnomes or Cogmasters so you have some more turn one plays.

With that many spells Azure Drakes are also attractive. I'm not sure the Stormwind Champion would get you more value than just increasing damage on your spells by one and drawing a card.

I haven't played mage much post gvg so I can't say for certain.

But these are some potential changes I would consider making:

-2 acidic swamp ooze (already have 4 freeze minions to stop weapons)
-1 micro machine
-1 stormwind champion
-2 pilotted shredder (seems like a lot of 4 drops to have, if you add a second goblin blast mage)

+1-2 mad scientist (Also +1-2 secrets if you add a mad scientist or 2)
+1 arcane intellect
+1-2 secrets being of, mirror entity, counterspell, or duplicate
+1 spider tank
+1 goblin blastmage

What your deck really lacks is a kind of clear direction (more along the lines of ways to finish out a match). Right now it looks like a high value midrange mage deck, which isn't bad. If you add more secrets it will look more like a secrets/tempo mage deck, which isn't bad either.

It has been a while since I have really played mage heavily, so figuring out an end game to achieve consistently is not something I can form off the top of my head. Even an echo of mediev would work in this sort of high value deck. I think there are a lot of things you could try to make work with a solid selection of cards like these.

Dahbomb

Midrange hunter is disgustingly good

I wonder what nerf will finally make Hunter bad, or if new cards will have an impact. Maybe if freezing trap didn't inflict such a cost penalty on what it bounces back. Even though kill command is what finishes games I don't think it's actually the card that wins them.

I don't look forward to turn 3 eaglehorn -> turn 4 hungry dragon
There are a lot of nerfs that would make Hunter "bad" but the main nerf Hunter needs to receive is the one to Mad Scientist.

Danj

Is there any trick to getting past Rank 20, other than spending lots of real-world money on cards? Granted I'm not an expert or anything but I'm not a complete noob, but I'm just not able to progress at all, what am I doing wrong? Other than, y'know, not wanting to spend real money on a f2p game.

This is what a fairly ideal mech mage looks like now, but it's a lot of cards if you're starting off or have only been playing a couple of months: https://tempostorm.com/decks/mech-mage-magicamy-meta-snapshot

Well yeah, mech mage is really well established. I could make a mech mage without ever having played it.

Mech mage is a solid choice for a starting new player as well, so I think that is a good direction to go in as well, although it does take antonidas to really make it come together well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well yeah, mech mage is really well established. I could make a mech mage without ever having played it.

Mech mage is a solid choice for a starting new player as well, so I think that is a good direction to go in as well, although it does take antonidas to really make it come together well.

I think midrange hunter is probably the easiest at the moment since the only non-Naxx legendary it uses is Dr. Boom and you don't really /need/ him to make the deck work.

Well, face hunter is even easier to acquire, but you won't learn many useful skills off of it.

Tacitus_

Is there any trick to getting past Rank 20, other than spending lots of real-world money on cards? Granted I'm not an expert or anything but I'm not a complete noob, but I'm just not able to progress at all, what am I doing wrong? Other than, y'know, not wanting to spend real money on a f2p game.

There are a bunch of cheap, effective decks. Pick one that you have the most cards for and try to slot in similar cards for the ones you are missing. Afterwards, git gud.

This was fun, except my opponent afk'd and rage quit:

The ultimate unstable portal combo
Hearthstone_Screenshot_3_13_2015_14_24_36.png

Or is it!?
Hearthstone_Screenshot_3_13_2015_14_24_52.png

easily could have dropped minion next to wee spellstopper to then ping gromm but he rage quit already

At least it made completing mage quest quick and easy. Also took down a control warrior with this midrange/control mage deck.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No new cards shown off for awhile. WTB.

There are only 31 total, I don't think we will see more until next week. They likely don't want to show them all off before the first Wing comes out.

For Nax, were all the cards revealed or datamined once the first wing came out?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/208497-hotforms-1-na-bloodlust-shaman-legend?similar-decks-sort=name

Someone hit rank 1 with a shaman bloodlust deck.

There are only 31 total, I don't think we will see more until next week. They likely don't want to show them all off before the first Wing comes out.

For Nax, were all the cards revealed or datamined once the first wing came out?

They revealed all the cards once the patch that included them came out because they knew they would be datamined anyway.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The craziness of a 6 voidcaller 12 demon arena deck

embalm

I've never really understood why freezing trap bounces creatures....why not just freeze them?

The card is insanely good value. Especially out of OP scientist.
Freezing for 2 would be weak, maybe if it also froze adjacent minions.

I do think that the cost penalty is so high, but only because freezing trap is so hard to play around. If it triggered only on a minion hit or a face it, it would be so much more balanced.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy fucking new thread batman

completely missed it

too much bloodborne hype

2 mana for a single target freeze you could play around is abysmal.

I don't think so. Its the same as people attacking into a chugga. A freeze for two turns can be pretty devastating.

It still allows the person who played the trap to gain tempo, but the penalty isn't as steep.

I don't know..im just bitter about certain secrets paired with mad scientist. Its such a brain dead play with so much upside and very little downside.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A chugga is a 2/3 minion that triggers other mech stuff and attacks each turn.

They're on totally different planes in terms of power level!

egruntz

shelaughz

What are you talking about? Why are people being hostile?

I couldn't find anything.

Vanillalite

Ok keep in mind I wasn't trying to play a secret deck per say. Also I lack some cards ie I only have 1 Goblin Blastmage ergo only one in the deck. Taking your suggestions though I've switched up to this GAF?

Bare in mind that's my only legendary, and quiet frankly I have jack shit for good cards at the 6+ mana level other than what's stock. Also I don't have any Azure Drakes. :/

Oh and I like the flame canons for low cost higher(ish) dmg output to clear minions and keep board control.

Danj

There are a bunch of cheap, effective decks. Pick one that you have the most cards for and try to slot in similar cards for the ones you are missing. Afterwards, git gud.

Here's the deck I've got at the moment. I only have 25 coins and no dust left so I don't have a way to get more cards right now (I already disenchanted all the spare and non-mage/non-neutral cards I had). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been playing just for a week and I have found relaxing to play Hearthstone after Dota 2, the change in the pace helps to go to bed in the night.

I am trying to build a Mech-Mage deck since it's cheap and only uses a few rares, I don't know if I will be hated online since I have read a lot of people complaining about the abundance of the deck, but honestly is easy to build and beginner friendly.

Fixed1979

I have been playing just for a week and I have found relaxing to play Hearthstone after Dota 2, the change in the pace helps to go to bed in the night.

I am trying to build a Mech-Mage deck since it's cheap and only uses a few rares, I don't know if I will be hated online since I have read a lot of people complaining about the abundance of the deck, but honestly is easy to build and beginner friendly.

Whatever gets you into the game. :) It's definitely a decent starting point as the tactics are as straight forward as you can get.

Agraavan

I've never really understood why freezing trap bounces creatures....why not just freeze them?

The card is insanely good value. Especially out of OP scientist.

Didn't it used to freeze an enemy for 2 turns but it was eventually changed to do what it does today (bounce enemy to hand with penalty)?

Ok keep in mind I wasn't trying to play a secret deck per say. Also I lack some cards ie I only have 1 Goblin Blastmage ergo only one in the deck. Taking your suggestions though I've switched up to this GAF?

Bare in mind that's my only legendary, and quiet frankly I have jack shit for good cards at the 6+ mana level other than what's stock. Also I don't have any Azure Drakes. :/

Oh and I like the flame canons for low cost higher(ish) dmg output to clear minions and keep board control.

I don't think mad scientist is worth running with only 1 secret in the deck. If you get the secret and your mad scientist in hand, mad scientist is just a very weak 2 drop. Might as well run micro machine again lol. Maybe cut it for another goblin blastmage or a 5 or 6 drop.

ViviOggi

Here's the deck I've got at the moment. I only have 25 coins and no dust left so I don't have a way to get more cards right now (I already disenchanted all the spare and non-mage/non-neutral cards I had). Does anyone have any suggestions?
I see multiple fundamental problems with your deck before even looking at the cards on their own:

• Low mana curve while your early minions are weak and trade 1 for 1 at best
  • Almost no ways to reclaim a lost board
  • Absolutely no consistency due to the majority of the cards being only included once
  • No late game, no win conditions

Many of the cards you've included have subpar stats for their cost, low value in general and/or no purpose in your game plan. Without the necessary cards for more specific, combo-/synergy-based decks you'll have to maximize the value of every single card, make favorable trades, do everything in your power to maintain board control and ultimately drop some big lategame minions to hopefully outlast your opponent - essentially playing like you would in arena.

Mirror Image, Stonetusk Boar, Arcane Explosion, Frostwolf Grunt (!), Novice Engineer, Questing Adventurer and Raid Leader are simply awful in constructed, toss them all. Vaporize is too easily played around and you don't have Mad Scientists to at least get it into play cheaply, Darkscale Healer isn't that hot and neither is Ironfur Grizzly (unfortunately there aren't too many good 3-drops in the basic set). Harvest Golem on the other hand is great, add a second one if you have it. Arcane Nullifier and Micro Machine aren't bad per se but not that great either without proper synergy, the Nullifier in particular is just a worse Sen'jin Shieldmasta (aka Taz'dingo) most of the time.

As far as class cards go you'll want two copies of Fireball, Frostbolt, Water Elemental. Those are the no-brainers, extremely flexible and overbudgeted class cards that'll never be dead in your hand. For now you probably need two Flamestrikes as a panic button and I'd also throw in 1x Arcane Intellect. 2x Sorcerer's Apprentices will do the job for now.

Now you'll just have to fill up your deck with strong neutral minions while keeping a reasonable mana curve. Here are some worthwhile basic drops with decent to strong stats/effects for their cost:

• 2 mana: Acidic Swamp Ooze, (River Crocolisk)
  • 3 mana: Shattered Sun Cleric
  • 4 mana: Chillwind Yeti, Sen'jin Shieldmasta, Gnomish Inventor
  • 5 mana: (Frostwolf Warlord, Darkscale Healer) - you'll likely have something better than these from packs already
  • 6+ mana: Boulderfist Ogre, Stormwind Champion

Plus any decent all-purpose cards you've pulled from packs.

Vanillalite

I don't think mad scientist is worth running with only 1 secret in the deck. If you get the secret and your mad scientist in hand, mad scientist is just a very weak 2 drop. Might as well run micro machine again lol. Maybe cut it for another goblin blastmage or a 5 or 6 drop.

If you read my post you'll notice I don't have another blastmage. :/

EDIT: I think I'll save my dust to make Blast a top priority.

Miletius

Hearthgaf, Sneeds or Vol'jin? I kind of want to get back into priest and i feel like Vol'jin is a staple now, but I also kind of want Sneeds' because he could be overall more useful in generalist decks.

I have most other relevant legendaries (except for Grom....)

Vol'Jin is way more practical and with Smite/Holy Nova/Board presence, you can easily remove just about anything on the board.

Sneed's is just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom