• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atleast 189 dead after Terror Attack in Mogadishu

slider

I'm surprised a western country acknowledged it in such a manner. Good on them, I guess.

Definitely good on them to acknowledge the atrocity.

The French must have a bit of a presence there. I think the guy's name was Alex Den(n)is, French SF dude killed in an operation (probably hostage related).

Mohonky

Definitely good on them to acknowledge the atrocity.

The French must have a bit of a presence there. I think the guy's name was Alex Den(n)is, French SF dude killed in an operation (probably hostage related).

There are a lot of foreign security forces in the region. Usual for UN but also a lot of national security

that's really sad that nobody really care! Even here, i mean there's only 4 pages, when you compare to other terrors attack on the west, it's nothing!

RIP

sephiroth7x

Still nothing on the BBC about it...

Absolutely disgusting. A Maltese blogger dies in a car crash and over thirty die in fires in Portugal... but instead of this they mention 'Why Beijing has banned Hot Air Balloons...'

Horrible to hear...

I was chatting with someone about this morning and he said it was the same reason you don't hear about Venezuela anymore.

People don't care as much. It's the horrible reality of it. News media recognise that viewers will only watch or read stories that impact them in someway. Mogadishu is so removed from the western world conscious that I bet a lot of people couldn't even find it on a map.

That said as much as this is Human nature being abhorrent, a good chunk of the blame should still be with the news media. The news should be impartial. People trust their news media to provide them the truth, unfiltered and unbiased. That's what the news should be. However the news media is reliant on viewers for funding or justification, and they can't help but be biased.

The solution is for an unbiased third party to regulate the news, but instead we let them regulate themselves and the whole thing falls apart.

Ovid

Absolutely disgusting. A Maltese blogger dies in a car crash and over thirty die in fires in Portugal... but instead of this they mention 'Why Beijing has banned Hot Air Balloons...'

Horrible to hear...
Same in America.

Hardly a word about on the news. I hate cable news but on Sunday night I wanted too see if there were any updates about it at the top of the hour. You know what we got...more about Tillerson's "moron" comment. A story from a week ago.

That's what I said? Western news coverage focuses on news from western countries, Africa news coverage focuses on news from Africa.
This is a modern day phenomenon.

Even the 90's and early 2000's cable news had a dedicated news hour (or half hour) too international affairs.

Now we get wall to wall coverage of just American politics. It never used to be like that.

The newspapers are starting to do the same thing. It's a damn shame.

Doopliss

Horrible to hear...

It was one of, if not the top story on the BBC news app on Sunday (as well as, I assume, all their other news mediums). There was also an update on the situation on the News at 10 last night. Less coverage than tragedies in western countries get, but certainly not nothing.

Jackpot

Banned
Attack has been linked to a joint Somali-US raid where 10 civilians were killed.

Somalia bombing may have been revenge for botched US-led operation

Officials investigating attack that killed more than 300 people believe the bomber may have been motivated by desire for revenge for a raid in August

The man who killed more than 300 people with a truck bomb in the centre of Mogadishu on Saturday was a former soldier in Somalia’s army whose home town was raided by local troops and US special forces two months ago in a controversial operation in which 10 civilians were killed, officials in Somalia have said.

Al-Shabaab has not claimed responsibility for Saturday’s attack but a member of the cell detained by security forces has told interrogators the group was responsible, one security official told the Guardian.

Following the raid, in which three children aged between six and 10 died, local tribal elders called for revenge against the Somali government and its allies.

Not only was the bomber from the specific community targeted by the raid, but the investigation is also uncovering a series of other links to the town where it took place.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ex-solider-whose-town-was-raided-by-us-forces

Top Bottom