• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

I found the game to be pretty easy, but I don't understand a lot of the non-gameplay parts.
So thanks for the tutorial.

I think the most fun part is when you're shot up in a way that you're flying sideways or upside down, and you're trying to shoot enemies with no luck. I was so happy I actually killed someone like that.

ThisOne

I tried playing the game a little last night and was pretty disappointed. I was expecting something similar to Warhawk on PS3 but it doesn't play anything like that. My fault I guess for having that expectation. I may give it another try or two and see if I can get into it. I've been itching for a good console multiplayer game lately.

Gaz_RB

I'm gonna try to spend some time and really get into this. Seems like it could have some rewarding gameplay.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm gonna try to spend some time and really get into this. Seems like it could have some rewarding gameplay.

It really does. Intense and ripe with strategy. So many things you can do and different game play opportunities. Cross platform play on PC/PS4 is also a nice touch as well as the basically full PC UI with all the options for controls. I dig it.

At first I could not fly for the life of me, but after some tweaking of controls, I found a scheme I like. Even though I got a handle on the flying, I still like the feel of the flying in IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (PS3 version) better. I was hoping it would be the same since it's from the same developers. Anyhoo, In my first match, I got 3 kills and died once. That's a lot better than I did when I tried the PC version. I can't wait for the battleship mode to come out. This game is a blast! When I got my first kill out of excitement said I got him! I got him! (And then in my head, I said "Great kid. Don't get cocky" ;p)

I tried playing the game a little last night and was pretty disappointed. I was expecting something similar to Warhawk on PS3 but it doesn't play anything like that.

The physics are blend of realism/arcade.. You would have known that if you watched gameplay videos or read up about it online. It's the best F2P game on consoles and the PC.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
can you use your PC account for PS4 and vice versa… It'll be hard adjust going back to bi-wing planes after flying my Mustang around. :
Only works PS4 --> PC. Sorry. Hey, you can enjoy some pubstomping on your way up the ladder.
I tried playing the game a little last night and was pretty disappointed. I was expecting something similar to Warhawk on PS3 but it doesn't play anything like that. My fault I guess for having that expectation. I may give it another try or two and see if I can get into it. I've been itching for a good console multiplayer game lately.
Just keep at it. The easiest way to learn is to just keep playing and learn the limits of your plane. Once you learn the limits of one plane, you can compare the numbers and feelings to other planes and you're understanding will skyrocket.
The physics are blend of realism/arcade.. You would have known that if you watched gameplay videos or read up about it online. It's the best F2P game on consoles and the PC.
It really is. WoT is a close second imo. But that's because you can play it on a really low spec laptop.
Nice, glad you made this
As am I. I gotta make it better though.
Planes, Tanks & Automobiles?
I'm so glad someone got the reference. Love that movie.

If you guys find an especially helpful and easy to understand guide, please please please post it so I can add it if need be.

Also, if you start using the Internet Radio, I'd love to get a few stations of GAF's favorites.

elty

Question: if you level up your crew, then change type (I suppose it cost money if your crew was flying fighter, then change to bomber etc)? do they lose the level up?

I just got Bf 110, hope that plane is actually useful.

P.S. what does the "1" mean on my bf110 - does it means once it crash I have to fork out 7K to buy it again?

demolitio

The game is trying to be a semi-sim sort of game with arcade being the easiest mode. In no way was it ever going to be like Warhawk nor was it ever made out to be that way with the exception of arcade matches sometimes being a clusterfuck dogfight.

It's good for what it's trying to do and it's definitely not for everyone. A lot of people even hate the tanks because you can get killed in one shot realistically.

As long as you know what to expect, it can be great. It's not perfect but it's the been my favorite F2P game on PC for quite some time now.

Just learned that Triangle activates cockpit mode. I think I'm in love.

If you like cockpit mode, try simulator out since that's what you're locked to. A lot of people don't like the cockpit views so you already have a big advantage...lol. I don't know if the PS4 version of simulator makes you trim your aircraft and all that though, but engine controls should still be automatic. Mixed simulator battles with players in tanks and planes is some of the most fun you could have in gaming and it also makes it harder for planes to bomb your tank right away since they have to spot you with their own eyes instead of a red name-tag.

GodofWine

I cant figure out if i like the Y inverted or not, on my laptop i never inverted the mouse controls, but now with a 'stick' I want to invert it...but the controls do such a good job of simulating the mouse controls that my brain keeps going back and forth mid match on whether up is up or down...i need to go to sleep :)

Great fun though. I really need to watch the tutorial on the progression system, cause I have no clue wtf is going on when im not flying.

demolitio

I picked Japan first, but I quickly unlocked the other countries anyway.

Is Japan good? I just went with them because of the A6M Zero.

They're pretty good up until the last tier. They just have less planes than the other nations but more are being added next patch.

Basically, they turn on a dime making it easy to escape but they're also pretty fragile until you get to some of their later metal designs.

I enjoy them but I play all the nations to at least tier 4. Try them out and see if you like their gameplay. If you like dogfighting, Britain is an absolute must since they have planes that can do it all.

Basically, they turn on a dime making it easy to escape but they're also pretty fragile until you get to some of their later metal designs.

Goes to show how much research War Thunder and World of Warplanes both had put into them: despite the gameplay mechanics differences, these two characteristics are also true of Japan in World of Warplanes! The one thing I would add would be, at least in World of Warplanes, I think the Japanese fighters are rather powerfully armed for their tier, sporting 20mm autocannons instead of machine guns even on the A6M1! With this in mind, though, you still shouldn't try to attack, or even fly in range of, AA guns or rear gunners on enemy aircraft, because the planes are simply too fragile to withstand those attacks.

Played a few rounds today on PS4 and I liked it. Can't wait to put more time into it this weekend.

I really love the idea of reserves. I know eventually you can have more, but having 3 for now makes me play more cautiously instead of just engaging the battle without care of failing.

The menu will take some getting used to though.

joecanada

Finally an OT!
...those aren't pillllows!

Picked Germany played 3 games unlocked USA, it's pretty good, getting out of arcade mode pronto, I'm a wing commander ace and that arcade crap is embarrassing cockpit mode is the everything

elty

So the bf110 sucks. It can barely climb without losing airspeed. However, this plane is a tank. I have someone tailing me for like 5 minutes and still couldn't shoot me down. Score a few hit with my rear gunner too lol.

After I bought the bf110 I notice there are new mission type (instead of just Stalingrad and foggy Albion)... do you get more mission type if you research a new class of plane?

HariKari

Question: if you level up your crew, then change type (I suppose it cost money if your crew was flying fighter, then change to bomber etc)? do they lose the level up?

I just got Bf 110, hope that plane is actually useful.

P.S. what does the "1" mean on my bf110 - does it means once it crash I have to fork out 7K to buy it again?

The 1 is the tier/era of the plane. The Bf110 is arguably the best tier 1 plane in the game, so good choice. You only pay for repairs, the severity of which depends on how you crash. You get a limited number of free repairs after you first buy a plane. You can turn off auto repair and instead wait for crews to repair them for free, but this takes time. The time it takes is affected by the skill of the ground crew in question.

Your crews do not lose anything when they switch planes. The XP that belongs to that slot always stays there. Once you have enough points, you can buy a certification for a certain plane (for as many planes as you want) for that particular crew. This further buffs a handful of stats beyond what the sliders max out at. The big one is +30 to reload which is a huge buff considering how expensive that skill is to level up in terms of points.

Pick up certifications for your crews for planes you like, for sure. Only the crew that is flying the plane needs to be certified for it to get the bonuses.

Me doing this is most carried over World of Tanks knowledge... It's probably all wrong. This is the T-26 Reserve Russian default tank.

The stat cards unfortunately lie, especially true for planes. They often handle and climb completely different than from what is listed. About all it's useful for is tracking armaments.

Japan is only for people who really love to get down in the trenches. Most of their planes are best right near the ground in a turn fight. Their happy space is knife fighting inside a telephone booth. Pototo guns with limited ammunition means they need a good crew and a good pilot (in arcade).

demolitio

Goes to show how much research War Thunder and World of Warplanes both had put into them: despite the gameplay mechanics differences, these two characteristics are also true of Japan in World of Warplanes! The one thing I would add would be, at least in World of Warplanes, I think the Japanese fighters are rather powerfully armed for their tier, sporting 20mm autocannons instead of machine guns even on the A6M1! With this in mind, though, you still shouldn't try to attack, or even fly in range of, AA guns or rear gunners on enemy aircraft, because the planes are simply too fragile to withstand those attacks.

They have a great armament in the beginning and then get surpassed there too due to the simple fact that they don't carry that much ammunition. I've had times where I could win a battle with like 5 enemies left but just don't have the ammo capacity to handle it even when being extremely picky about my shots.

They hit hard though.

So the bf110 sucks. It can barely climb without losing airspeed. However, this plane is a tank. I have someone tailing me for like 5 minutes and still couldn't shoot me down. Score a few hit with my rear gunner too lol.

After I bought the bf110 I notice there are new mission type (instead of just Stalingrad and foggy Albion)... do you get more mission type if you research a new class of plane?

It goes by your rank in that nation so essentially, yes. You'll unlock some 262 missions at tier IV for example so you get a chance to try it out before you start the grind to unlock it.

HariKari

So the bf110 sucks.

It really doesn't. It's not the fastest thing in the world but that's an asset considering how well it turns for its size and armament, and how durable it is. You'll learn that it's probably the best tier 1 plane out there after playing with it more. It's a shame the Germans don't have access to more variants of it.

I really recommend skipping the Italian line (MC/G.50) line. The CR-42 falco isn't half bad, and the MC 202 is usable, but everything else in that tree is garbage. Get to the BF 109s as fast as you can. Also have a stuka or two in your lineup for attacking ground targets. Good money, and an important part of winning ground strike missions.

demolitio

So there's not way to get premium points in game, right?
And they're just for skins and special unlock ships?

They can used for premium planes and tanks, converting free XP (costly and a waste since you need to learn before going to high tiers anyway), and buying premium which is basically double XP plus two more decal slots.

Skins and decals you unlock normally through ingame challenges as well but you buy them with Gold Eagles too.

The nice thing about this game in realistic and simulator is that I can answer questions while my game is alt-tabbed and my plane is climbing. :D

HariKari

So there's not way to get premium points in game, right?
And they're just for skins and special unlock ships?

The gold currency is sometimes handed out for free in events. I think you also get a small amount for playing the game for thirty days. It's mostly used for premium time, extra hangar slots, and accelerated training for your crews.

Most of the skins can be unlocked by doing the 'mission' for it (100 player kills with that plane, as an example). All of the parts for a plane can be bought outright with gold currency but they research fast enough for free.

Just about finished with all the tutorials, trying to get some practice on single player. Don't want to embarrass myself online anymore
(Ps4)

demolitio

For those playing on PS4, do you see asterisks next your own name or is it for the PC players on your side? In the PC game, we see the PS4 players with a * next to their name and was just curious if it's reversed for you guys.

I don't get to see too many PS4 players at this tier and I don't feel like going back and seal clubbing at earlier tiers...lol

So I should just focus on Brits because they are more all rounded for all types of planes?

All personal preference but I've always liked the British planes since they have pure dogfighters, energy fighters, good bombers, attackers, etc. They have every role filled and the Spitfire line is one of the best, most consistent lines in the game (Mk.V being the weakest one in the line but then it skyrockets back to greatness after that). The Spitfire Mk.IX's are some of the best tier 3 planes that you see a lot of people use the premium versions on other nations, and the Tempest is amazing. Their post-war prop planes are some of my favorites as well.

This is coming from someone that's high up in all nations but keep going back to Britain. Their jets are their weakness but they're getting better ones here soon too.

coolasj19

For those playing on PS4, do you see asterisks next your own name or is it for the PC players on your side? In the PC game, we see the PS4 players with a * next to their name and was just curious if it's reversed for you guys.
I don't get to see too many PS4 players at this tier and I don't feel like going back and seal clubbing at earlier tiers...lol
Please don't... They can't learn if you club. And yes, it's the same. Asterisk for PS4 players.

And oh my. I played the planes for the first time in a few months. Forgot how agile and fun they are.

HariKari

So I should just focus on Brits because they are more all rounded for all types of planes?

If you like dogfighting, the Brits are a good choice. The Beaufighter (nicknamed the "broken fighter") is pretty good too. The Wellington as a bomber is not very survivable so I personally do not have it out at the start of rounds.

Early planes suffer from having lots of really small caliber guns, later Spitfires don't have a ton of cannon ammo. Typhoons bring cannons and bombs to the party but their roll rate is abysmal so they're not the best dogfighters.

I only play arcade, and the Brits have access to mounds of planes that roughly perform similarly. Good country but not as popular as they should be.

demolitio

Please don't... They can't learn if you club. And yes, it's the same. Asterisk for PS4 players.

And oh my. I played the planes for the first time in a few months. Forgot how agile and fun they are.

I never club dude. In fact, I usually go opposite of the most popular nation that has the broken FM or DM of the month simply so I can get into games quicker...lol

demolitio

If you like dogfighting, the Brits are a good choice. The Beaufighter (nicknamed the "broken fighter") is pretty good too. The Wellington as a bomber is not very survivable so I personally do not have it out at the start of rounds.

Early planes suffer from having lots of really small caliber guns, later Spitfires don't have a ton of cannon ammo. Typhoons bring cannons and bombs to the party but their roll rate is abysmal so they're not the best dogfighters.

I only play arcade, and the Brits have access to mounds of planes that roughly perform similarly. Good country but not as popular as they should be.

The Brits excel in Realistic mode where energy fighting is actually a thing and their armaments are perfectly fine there. The Typhoon is an energy fighter and one of the few boom n' zoom planes that can handle the 190's with ease.

Arcade is a completely different beast though. I just like using the real flight models and proper damage models but I understand why some prefer arcade if they want quick action.

Edit: Oops. Didn't have one of my tabs refreshed so I didn't think I had the last post. My bad. My brain is slipping after this whoopin I'm taking in tanks right now.

coolasj19

Would turning off AA on PS4 get me better fps, I wonder? Can't test right now, I'm in my first realistic battle... Scary.

HariKari

How about bombers? Who's got the best?

(this is for arcade)

America, followed by Russia. Probably the Japanese after that. I'm just not a huge fan of the British tree. Wellingtons are regarded as juicy targets of opportunity for a reason.

The Americans can field a lineup with 2 B-25s, 2 PBJ gunships (that have 4x500lb bombs), and 2 B17s at tier three. Total blast to play. Russia has the Yers which have a lot of payload and durability but not much in the way of defensive armament.

Dive bombing is perfectly viable as well. The Russians and zee Germans have the best trees in that regard. Some good American and Japanese dive bombers but not enough variants in the game yet so you can only bring a few to a fight.

It should be noted that bombers/attackers have a buff to reload speed on rockets and bombs because that's their primary job. An IL-2 can absolutely tear through ground targets AND air targets, for example.

demolitio

How about bombers? Who's got the best?

Definitely America. Good mix of heavy bombers, medium bombers, and attackers and plenty of multi-role fighters that can carry more bombs than some other nations' bombers...lol.

Russia has some good close-range bombers as well. Their cannons can do work to AAA and the bombs will take care of tanks.

maneil99

I played alot on PC maxed out, I played the EU version on PS4 in November and it was pretty ugly, does the game look better now?

I might check out bombers. I wonder if the AI gunner is good enough to shoot up people if they are high level enough, or maybe it's a waste of points.

Is the only bonus thing available is the first match per country? I think I saw somewhere that the Dynamic Campaign has a bonus as well... not sure.

HariKari

I might check out bombers. I wonder if the AI gunner is good enough to shoot up people if they are high level enough, or maybe it's a waste of points.

Is the only bonus thing available is the first match per country? I think I saw somewhere that the Dynamic Campaign has a bonus as well... not sure.

First win per country.

And yes, the AI gunners get really, really good when you've got a certified crew and relatively maxed out gunners in terms of skill. The more guns you have, the more "experienced gunners" you need (1 for every turret) to avoid skill penalties.

I have maxed out gunners on my American bombers and it's pretty crazy what they can do. Still better to aim yourself sometimes. 50 cal hurts and can kill someones engine extremely fast, even at range. If you load up AP-I you can also light them on fire with regularity.

Love it. But the B17 is loathed right now because the damage model is generous and bombers don't abide by realistic flight model restrictions in arcade, so people fly them like they're fighters.

J-Rzez

They certainly can. All it takes is that one shot to critically damage an engine or hit the pilot and it's over. I had this happen to me quite a few times to learn how to approach bombers effectively. I didn't get to try out the PS4 version yet, but most will swap to their gunners on PC to do the deed.

I'm more about the tanks though. Love my JPanther. :)

Wace

Definitely America. Good mix of heavy bombers, medium bombers, and attackers and plenty of multi-role fighters that can carry more bombs than some other nations' bombers...lol.

I would argue that. Late Yer-2 carries 10000lbs of payload, meaning that (in arcade) it demolishes 2 bases in 3 runs. Defense isn't as good as B-17, but, on the other hand, it requires less experience to max out gunners, while 20mm is enough for most of the tier 3 fighters as well. And, from the fighter point of view, bringing either of them down is rather similar task in regards to needed time and damage, but Yer manages to do way more harm to your team in the process. The famous arcade "bomber rush" is based on this plane mostly.

Pe-2 is fun diving bomber, and Il-2 is good tank destroyer even in the nerfed state it is right now.

Also, for some reasons, lot of fighter pilots has some kind of craze about B-17, so I often find it flying around with 3-4 fighters on the tail, while Yer is bombing it out alone.

KOHIPEET

The plane part of the game is a blast, the tank part however definitely needs some more polish.

But they're working on it I guess.

Don't like the plane controls. I was hoping it'd be something like Ace Combat (I use the OG controls in AC). Graphics are decent, nothing special. I'm not going to attempt to play online until I can get the controls down.

Ark

You have joined the best empire.

The Zeros are fantastic at booming and zooming, and they then excel at turn fighting. You will literally out-turn everyone, the only way you're going to lose a turn-fight is if an Airacobra or BF109 zooms you.

demolitio

I would argue that. Late Yer-2 carries 10000lbs of payload, meaning that (in arcade) it demolishes 2 bases in 3 runs. Defense isn't as good as B-17, but, on the other hand, it requires less experience to max out gunners, while 20mm is enough for most of the tier 3 fighters as well. And, from the fighter point of view, bringing either of them down is rather similar task in regards to needed time and damage, but Yer manages to do way more harm to your team in the process. The famous arcade "bomber rush" is based on this plane mostly.

Pe-2 is fun diving bomber, and Il-2 is good tank destroyer even in the nerfed state it is right now.

Also, for some reasons, lot of fighter pilots has some kind of craze about B-17, so I often find it flying around with 3-4 fighters on the tail, while Yer is bombing it out alone.

Yes, but still on the overall basis, America has the better bombers if that's what he's looking for and their fighters even carry large payloads. You have more heavy bombers, some great medium bombers, huge payloads overall, and great protection. Hell, they actually give the Russian bombers their overload payload and most of the American bombers only get their long-range payloads as if they have to carry a lot of fuel which doesn't make sense in the game outside of balance (which they supposedly never buff or nerf...lol). I'm still waiting for them to model the B-17's external pylons and give it back its one payload they took out.

The Yer series if of course amazing, but like I said, Russia is mostly close air support like the IL-2 and Pe-2 which I enjoy as well. I just hope they fix the plane cannons in Ground Forces since the German 50mm and 75mm guns do nothing and the IL-2 can't do much yet the Yak-9T can do quite a bit with its 37mm which makes sense due to its high velocity, but not to the point of actually showing up the German guns designed for tank hunting.

Both great options though, but by an large, one is for conventional bombing while the other nation is more for close air support with some 20mm's to boot.

Hell, the P-47 and F6F's payloads for fighters still amaze me. I can't wait for the American tanks so I can take out my P-47 and have the best of both worlds.

Graphics are decent, nothing special. I'm not going to attempt to play online until I can get the controls down.
Speaking of which is there any kind of free roam mission or someplace to practice takeoffs and landings and just getting used to the controls and handling?

The tutorials give no time to breathe or take in the concepts.

And also, is there a control scheme where you directly control the plane rather than primarily controlling the flightpath circle? With a controller I mean - am playing this on PS4.

Grinchy

Banned
This is silly, but does anyone else think the title of the OT should be, "Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" instead? Or is it not supposed to be a play on the movie title?

Wace

I just hope they fix the plane cannons in Ground Forces since the German 50mm and 75mm guns do nothing and the IL-2 can't do much yet the Yak-9T can do quite a bit with its 37mm which makes sense due to its high velocity, but not to the point of actually showing up the German guns designed for tank hunting.

I still don't know if it's a bug or feature, but in single player missions with IL-2(M) you can destroy medium tanks with your guns. Rather easily, I would add. In PvP battles it's (was?) totally impossible.

I wonder if player-controlled tanks get proper damage model while fighting planes now? Meaning lucky shot can take out critical equipment etc? I'm away from my PS4 for a while, unfortunately.

demolitio

I still don't know if it's a bug or feature, but in single player missions with IL-2(M) you can destroy medium tanks with your guns. Rather easily, I would add. In PvP battles it's (was?) totally impossible.

I wonder if player-controlled tanks get proper damage model while fighting planes now? Meaning lucky shot can take out critical equipment etc? I'm away from my PS4 for a while, unfortunately.

The tanks have the same damage models for planes as they do for other tanks in GF. It's just that the cannon shots don't seem to do anything. In regular plane matches outside of GF and in SP missions, you can easily gun down medium tanks with cannons but they don't do much in GF no matter what angle you attack from or ammunition you use for the most part. They updated the bot tanks in airplane matches to have the modules as well but they are easily destroyed there.

It was actually easier to kill tanks in the GF closed beta than it is now but the large caliber cannons still has problems then too.

Either it's a bug or they made cannons weaker against player tanks for some sort of balance which is supposedly something they wouldn't do but it's something that needs to be looked at since the Germans have planes that basically have tank guns on them that don't do a thing to player tanks yet the 37mm on the Yak-9 can set tanks on fire with ease. This was something we tested out in the closed beta and discussed it quite a bit, but it doesn't seem to be any better now.

Top Bottom