• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

I pretty much agree with what most people have been saying. U3 is still an amazing game and I had a blast through and through (minor aiming issues aside) and is a great complete total package with an amazing multiplayer to boot. I will most definitely be playing this for a long time to come.

I will say that I do prefer the stories of 1 and 2 though and while I liked 3's there were just too many missed opportunists to ignore. The game needs a little more funny banter between the charaters too.

One thing that irks me that no one is talking about is what is the deal with Cutter being a villain in the multiplayer? Both beta's labeled him as such so during the campaign I was waiting for a betrayal and it never came. WORST RED HARRING EVER! What was the point of the Cutter character? Did we need another new main hero? We already have Drake, Chole, Elena and Sully.

Luthos

I loved that there "kinda" was a supernatural bit at the end, but not really. I mean in game form, you fought the crazy flaming head dudes, but in the game's reality you were just drugged up. Though I guess there still was the whole demon spirit trapped in the jar in the water, or whatever.

The first encounter with the flaming dudes was cool. I totally went "WTF was that?", but an encounter a bit later was so fucking annoying(ly bad). I died so many times, and I felt it was a cheaply designed encounter, even on normal. It forced you to run around the room like a chicken with it's head cut off, and even that didn't mean you wouldn't die some times.

Also, I would of lost it if Sully did indeed die.

Toki767

Luthos said:
I loved that there "kinda" was a supernatural bit at the end, but not really. I mean in game form, you fought the crazy flaming head dudes, but in the game's reality you were just drugged up. Though I guess there still was the whole demon spirit trapped in the jar in the water, or whatever.

The first encounter with the flaming dudes was cool. I totally went "WTF was that?", but an encounter a bit later was so fucking annoying(ly bad). I died so many times, and I felt it was a cheaply designed encounter, even on normal. It forced you to run around the room like a chicken with it's head cut off, and even that didn't mean you wouldn't die some times.

Also, I would of lost it if Sully did indeed die.
The fire demons were one shot (well two) with the Tau Sniper and Hammers which were littered around the field whenever you fought them.

Toki767 said:
The fire demons were one shot (well two) with the Tau Sniper and Hammers which were littered around the field whenever you fought them.

I had so much fun blasting them away with the Hammers - I felt like such a stud :lol.

My favorite sniping area was still the Citadel - I felt truly badass.

RDreamer

Gyrian said:
One thing that isn't too clear to me is the hallucinogenic that Talbot uses through the game. I've played through the game once, so maybe I didn't catch all the details, but it seemed to me that it was exactly what the villains wanted to obtain from Iram. Yet, they already have this, or at least something nearly as good.

Well there's probably more to it than just poisoning the water, at least probably according to the cultist's beliefs. I mean if the thing sealed up and in a body of water can do that, then what could it do outside of that?

And really if they wanted to put the fear of god into a city they'd just drop that into a lake and bam, entire city gone. Power. Probably not traceable really. Can't do that with a synthetic thing, probably.

Luthos said:

The flaming dudes weren't even close to the same toughness than the shambhala guys were in Uc2. These went down in like 2 hits with that tau that was everywhere when you fought them.

Raonak

Banned
XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
One thing that irks me that no one is talking about is what is the deal with Cutter being a villain in the multiplayer? Both beta's labeled him as such so during the campaign I was waiting for a betrayal and it never came. WORST RED HARRING EVER! What was the point of the Cutter character? Did we need another new main hero? We already have Drake, Chole, Elena and Sully.

Wut. That would have been really, really stupid of them to label him hero in the betas.
In the trailers, you see the first cutscene, with him shooting nate, so you assume hes the bad guy.

If they labeled him hero, then it would have spoiled the first plot twist. And a good plot twist too, i did not expect it; I remember first seeing harry flinn in U2 and instantly predicting what was going to happen.

Definitely my favorite boss fight of the three. Fighting that Russian guy was kind of a chore, but this one was both more subdued and more epic. And Marlowe >>>>>>> that Russian guy. Though I do like Flynn more than Talbot.

Only wish there was more Chloe this time around. I like Elena but Chloe's just a badass. More of her in U4 please.

jett

D-Member
Anyone else felt like they were being treated like an idiot near the end when Drake belts out "Hey Sully, the gears! Let's use the gears to climb up!" No shit I'm going to use the gears to climb up.

laika09

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

To give Graham McTavish a job, I guess. I think Cutter's part was cut down due to availability issues since McTavish is filming The Hobbit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a huge fan of the series and jumped in full price on all games and even got the CE for 3. I'm considering a Vita for the Vita ver as well.

I just have to say. Disappointing. I'm sorry if some ND ppl are lurking. It was just disappointing.

1. Shooting was off.
2. Akward and illogical (moreso than 1 and 2) enemy placement AND there were so goddamn many. I kept getting aggravated when another goddamn wave kept coming.
3. Story had a good background and set up, but...
- stupid fucking Talbot and his stupid magic gun that makes you retardedly listen to him
- stupid useless unexplained spiders
- too many 'why didn't they just fucking shoot him' moments waaaaaay too many
- pirates out of fucking nowhere
4. I know Drake was tripping, but FUCK those flaming head fucks
5. Chloe and Cutter are just cut out. I mean, they set everything else up movie-like, why not tie things up?
6. Not enough Elena
7. Not enough exploration and puzzles.
8. Related, but way too much 'kill enemies'
9. What happened to stealth kill sections?

I'm still a fan, but I was pretty pissed near the end.

tl;dr - Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3

Kuro Madoushi said:

I'm sure that there are much more exploration and puzzles in U3 than in U2. By a mile. You don't shot a gun until chapter 5, and even there, there are some other non-combat chapters, like the first part of france, the desert, Yemen's streets and markets and Yemen subterranean temple, and there are much more and better puzzles than in U2.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm a huge fan of the series and jumped in full price on all games and even got the CE for 3. I'm considering a Vita for the Vita ver as well.

I just have to say. Disappointing. I'm sorry if some ND ppl are lurking. It was just disappointing.

1. Shooting was off.
2. Akward and illogical (moreso than 1 and 2) enemy placement AND there were so goddamn many. I kept getting aggravated when another goddamn wave kept coming.
3. Story had a good background and set up, but...
- stupid fucking Talbot and his stupid magic gun that makes you retardedly listen to him
- too many 'why didn't they just fucking shoot him' moments waaaaaay too many
- pirates out of fucking nowhere
5. Chloe and Cutter are just cut out. I mean, they set everything else up movie-like, why not tie things up?
6. Not enough Elena
9. What happened to stealth kill sections?

You realize there is just as much platforming and probably more puzzles in UC3 than 2 right? And why the fuck would you want MORE Elena? Am I the only one that finds her incredibly annoying? Chloe > Elena

linzin

Neo Member
DangerousDave said:
I'm sure that there are much more exploration and puzzles in U3 than in U2. By a mile. You don't shot a gun until chapter 5, and even there, there are some other non-combat chapters, like the first part of france, the desert, Yemen's streets and markets and Yemen subterranean temple, and there are much more and better puzzles than in U2.

The puzzles that are THERE are better than U2, but there are far fewer of them and pretty much zero from chapter 9 onward. The game gets way too combat heavy after the midway point, broken up by "cinematic" scenes like the desert.

Wow that fight scene in the shipyard and on the sinking pirate made me want to throw this game out. Fuck them.
Dropped it to Very Easy and just enjoyed the story. Lots of holes, but that ending was great and I didn't have to fight an alien!
When did Drake and Elana get married?

Kuro Madoushi said:

1. Shooting was off.
2. Akward and illogical (moreso than 1 and 2) enemy placement AND there were so goddamn many. I kept getting aggravated when another goddamn wave kept coming.m
6. Not enough Elena

Agree with these. By the time I was finished, I knew that the combat ensured I couldn't place it above U2. The set pieces were amazing, but for the first time I felt like the core combat got in the way and was relieved when I finally cleared every horde of enemies. Was not having as much fun playing this as U2.

And while everyone is praising the "cinematic" desert chapter, which admittedly was pretty cool the first time around, all I could think the whole time was "This is going to put me to sleep when I replay the game."

linzin said:
The puzzles that are THERE are better than U2, but there are far fewer of them and pretty much zero from chapter 9 onward. The game gets way too combat heavy after the midway point, broken up by "cinematic" scenes like the desert.

I don't think that there are less puzzles, I think there are more, but all in the first half of the game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't say 3 had less than 2, I just felt there was too much emphasis on combat, and the aiming made the gunfights drag on longer.

I like both Elena and Chloe and I wished there was a way to put them together in 3. I also think my reason for more Elena is that she seems a bit tacked on and needed a bigger role to justify having her in there.

I liked having a lot of Sully, but again, wish there a bit more time with others. Hell! Even that goddamn pirate had a straw Sully! The hell does he know who he is and what je wears?

Hated the goddamn hallucinations too. Wasn't enough Drake drank wanky water, but Talbot also had to throw a smoke bomb??? JUST. GODDAMN. SHOOT HIM!

So much griping...it's still a good game, but definitely deserved an 8.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hated the goddamn hallucinations too. Wasn't enough Drake drank wanky water, but Talbot also had to throw a smoke bomb??? JUST. GODDAMN. SHOOT HIM!

Talbot wasn't there. You can't believe anything of what happen between Sully's "death" and Sully's "rebirth".

Carl

Net_Wrecker said:
Agree with these. By the time I was finished, I knew that the combat ensured I couldn't place it above U2. The set pieces were amazing, but for the first time I felt like the core combat got in the way and was relieved when I finally cleared every horde of enemies. Was not having as much fun playing this as U2.

I felt the same. Every time i got to a section with chest high walls and thought "Oh, guess i am going to be ambushed next time i come through this place" i let out a big sigh and wished it would fuck off so i could continue exploring. The shooting really is the weakest part of the game and the series as a whole.

Carl

Kuro Madoushi said:

They did shoot him at one point. He survived and it went completely unexplained.

Ilúvatar

Posted pretty much the exact same sentiments in the official thread, but here goes again. I loved the game, but would have to rank U2 above it simply because a lot of U3 feels like a rehash of U2. The set pieces are grandiose and well done, but at the end of the day, the destruction of an ancient long-hidden city is still just the destruction of an ancient long-hidden city.

Proposed Law said:
Wow that fight scene in the shipyard and on the sinking pirate made me want to throw this game out. Fuck them.
Dropped it to Very Easy and just enjoyed the story. Lots of holes, but that ending was great and I didn't have to fight an alien!
When did Drake and Elana get married?
What? The ship graveyard battle was so much fun - change up your tactics than just charging in. I died hella times but never felt like I had to change the difficulty.

As for Nate and Elena getting married, I'd guess some time after U2.

Lionel Mandrake said:
I think Uncharted 3 is about even with Uncharted 2 quality wise. Right now it feels a little better. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I agree with this.

Uncharted 3 is a bit better than Uncharted 2.

Just finished the game. There were definitely more bugs than usual this time around, I feel like it may have been a little too tight of a schedule for Naughty Dog. However, I enjoyed it from start to end and it definitely lived up to Uncharted 2. I can't say yet which one I prefer, and I don't think it blew UC2 away or anything.

I can say I preferred the Tibetan setting to the Middle East one, but that's just personal preference and I don't think UC3 is any worse for it. The high points like the Chateau, the ship graveyard, the cargo plane, and the ending were all just as great as any of UC2's big set pieces. I think they're pretty much two almost-perfect games.

Bring on UC4 at PS4 launch, ND!

Cruzader

Banned
jett said:
Anyone else felt like they were being treated like an idiot near the end when Drake belts out "Hey Sully, the gears! Let's use the gears to climb up!" No shit I'm going to use the gears to climb up.
Nope since I didnt see them at first so it helped.

Btw my god the character models are out of this world. I wish I could replay U2 with the updated models since U2 has more Chloe and Elena and their models look way better now. Love how they nailed the eyes this time. In U2, they looked odd and fakeish with a glass like look. Wow, this time they are perfect.

I'm so pissed Chloe is gone shortly after the Syria level and Elena comes in too late and for a short stay....why???!!!!

JWong

Banned
Cruzader said:
Nope since I didnt see them at first so it helped.

Btw my god the character models are out of this world. I wish I could replay U2 with the updated models since U2 has more Chloe and Elena and their models look way better now. Love how they nailed the eyes this time. In U2, they looked odd and fakeish with a glass like look. Wow, this time they are perfect.

I'm so pissed Chloe is gone shortly after the Syria level and Elena comes in too late and for a short stay....why???!!!!
Story is centralized around Drake and Sully. Man love for life.

Synless

I thought the gameplay and graphics were top tier. However, the plot holes in this game are massive and many.

JWong

Banned
Marius_ said:
Guys dont get engagement rings, only the women. When they get married is when both wear a ring.
Obviously Elena gave the engagement ring to Nate cuz she's da man of the house.

Love this games. Most polished game, best voice acting, best looking game, best storytelling, best set pieces, fun gameplay.

21/10 easily.

man making Nathan Drake not Nathan Drake is probably one of the most boneheaded things I can think of someone doing.

It was cool to find out some of the history behind Nate's family but when they dropped that bombshell I laughed.

I figured I'd be okay with it when it was fleshed out near the ending but then it is never brought up again.

Cruzader

Banned
So can someone do a technical comparison between the 3 games? Like the missing motion blur and improved character models? I'd love to see some of those.

Synless

Beelzeboss said:
man making Nathan Drake not Nathan Drake is probably one of the most boneheaded things I can think of someone doing.

It was cool to find out some of the history behind Nate's family but when they dropped that bombshell I laughed.

I figured I'd be okay with it when it was fleshed out near the ending but then it is never brought up again.
I hope they make on last game to clear this up. It really was the one part that by the end of the game had me shaking my head.

Maybe they'll clear it up in Unkarted?

Nathan Drake on a quest to find his roots discovers his father is a legendary kart racer and the only way to earn his respect is to beat him at his own game.

Sidzed2

Synless said:
I hope they make on last game to clear this up. It really was the one part that by the end of the game had me shaking my head.

There's nothing to clear up. Drake took on a fake last name, "Drake" to create a romantic narrative for his life and to somehow compensate for his abandonment issues and perceived lack of identity.

It doesn't matter what his birth surname is - he is a self-made man, and as he says to Marlowe at the end of the game, he doesn't need to prove his worth to anyone any more.

There's really nothing more to it. If they explained that Nathan's last name was actually Johnson, would that make the story better? Nathan Johnson? I mean, who cares? What actually matters is that he changed his name. It tells us something about the character. The specifics of his real name don't tell us anything meaningful.

What exactly needs clearing up?

Net_Wrecker said:
And while everyone is praising the "cinematic" desert chapter, which admittedly was pretty cool the first time around, all I could think the whole time was "This is going to put me to sleep when I replay the game."

I agree with this. The entire time I was at once at awe of the visuals, and at the same time thinking, "Yeah, this is gonna be kinda dull to replay"

Raonak

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
There's nothing to clear up. Drake took on a fake last name, "Drake" to create a romantic narrative for his life and to somehow compensate for his abandonment issues and perceived lack of identity.

It doesn't matter what his birth surname is - he is a self-made man, and as he says to Marlowe at the end of the game, he doesn't need to prove his worth to anyone any more.

There's really nothing more to it. If they explained that Nathan's last name was actually Johnson, would that make the story better? Nathan Johnson? I mean, who cares? What actually matters is that he changed his name. It tells us something about the character. The specifics of his real name don't tell us anything meaningful.

What exactly needs clearing up?

I agree, i like the air of mystrey about his character. reminds me of snake in some respects.

MercuryLS

Banned
Beat it today, some thoughts:

- Chloe looked hot (way better than in UC2), Elena looked like an alien. Total downgrade.

- Aiming was fine you big babies.

- Game's pacing wasn't so great, preferred UC2 more overall.

- The game's villain was lame, not developed enough. This is a problem will all ND games.

- The enemies during your hallucination state are so damn frustrating to fight. Please ND, get rid of all monster/crazy enemies in all future "realistic" games.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I preferred UC2 a bit more. UC3's high points was the desert bits, I love me some deserts!

ViewtifulJC said:
I agree with this. The entire time I was at once at awe of the visuals, and at the same time thinking, "Yeah, this is gonna be kinda dull to replay"

There was a thread a while back on being able to skip all of the non-gameplay parts of a game during replays....yeah, this is one of those times. It might just be me, but there's always a voice in the back of my head playing a game constantly asking "Will this section be fun to play the 2nd+ time around?" It's crucial to me that a game be constructed with replay value in mind, and I'm finding less and less devs care about that. Everything's about the "one and done, time for multiplayer" crowd now.

Top Bottom