• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
It looks like there might be a role reversal this time around between sony and ms, with the Xbox 360 getting the big games first followed by ports to the PS3, at least in '06. it'll probably equalize by late 2007. 1st and 2nd party exclusives (plus 3rd party exlcusives, timed or otherwise) will make the difference.

trmas

Banned
I didn't care either until I played it. Trust me, it's worth caring about

No kidding. I HATED Morrowind, but this game has me completely entranced. As for exclusives, MS will have ENOUGH exclusives that I'll need both. Although I don't care about Halo at all MS has Bioware, Gears, and Blue Dragon in their corner. That's enough for me to have it. Besides, PS3 is still a good 7 months or more away, and I've still got Oblivion and GRAW to keep me occupied.

My main machine was always going to be the PS3 though.

WalkMan

Banned
Well there's been a gorwing trend for inter-operability with PSP-PS2. This should be even stronger with PS3 - PSP as they both support Wi-Fi. I think Hideo Kojima already has plans for PSP interoperability.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Zenith said:
I don't think they'll be many changes for the PS3 version. I'm sure there could be, I just don't think Bethesda will put the effort in.
Changes would just be a bonus. Its enough that people who own a PS3 will have the chance to play such an amazing game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
open_mouth_ said:
It looks like there might be a role reversal this time around between sony and ms, with the Xbox 360 getting the big games first followed by ports to the PS3, at least in '06. it'll probably equalize by late 2007.

Sooner than that in the majority of cases, I'd expect. I think this will typically only apply for games released before PS3's launch, or shortly thereafter.

Speevy said:
Since this game fits on a DVD, I wonder if they'll use more than 9 GB in the PS3 version.

Depending on how compressed the audio was in the first place, it could help with that and giving better quality to it, since it can be streamed off during gameplay, rather than loaded at the start. Really depends how much work they would want to put into it, though. For example, they might be able to improve streaming with data replication (although that would be moot if they can rely on a HDD - TBA, of course).

Speevy

Banned
ThirdEye said:
Blu-ray says no! :D

Well they had to delay the 360 version from launch and it is a pretty content-packed game. I doubt for example that you'll see a full expansion onto the universe, but I could be wrong.

psycho_snake

trmas said:
No kidding. I HATED Morrowind, but this game has me completely entranced. As for exclusives, MS will have ENOUGH exclusives that I'll need both. Although I don't care about Halo at all MS has Bioware, Gears, and Blue Dragon in their corner. That's enough for me to have it. Besides, PS3 is still a good 7 months or more away, and I've still got Oblivion and GRAW to keep me occupied.

My main machine was always going to be the PS3 though.
Compared to Sony, MS dont have exclusives of the same calibre MGS, DMC, tekken, GTA, FF or GT. Whilst Sony have 6 strong system sellers, Halo is the only exclusive that MS has under its belt with the same elling power and the mentioned sony exclusives.

Yoboman

For interests, how big is the size of Oblivion compared to GTALCS? Remember walking vs. driving can be decieving)

Elios83

open_mouth_ said:
It looks like there might be a role reversal this time around between sony and ms, with the Xbox 360 getting the big games first followed by ports to the PS3, at least in '06. it'll probably equalize by late 2007. 1st and 2nd party exclusives (plus 3rd party exlcusives, timed or otherwise) will make the difference.

How could be different than that if PS3 comes out in November,so end of 2006?
It's obvious that PS3 will get ports of the big games that Xbox360 received during the first year of its life alone in the market.

goldenpp72

Microsoft has rare, bungie, too human series, gears of war and a few other exclusives. Just because not all of them sell 8 million, doesn't mean they are less worthwhile.

To some of us at least.

Confidence Man said:
Mind explaining the difference between a MS-published exclusive and a third party exclusive? Is it that the latter is more awesome?

It doesn't have anything to do with one being more awesome than the other but its another source for exclusive software. Exclusive software is what sets consoles apart. I can understand certain titles like Madden being on every platform under the sun. But exclusives give new reasons to purchase a console in particular. Exclusives are the only reason that Nintendo is still around. If Mario was out on the PlayStation why by a Nintendo console at all?

I must admit I liked the idea of getting western developed titles on the XBOX while getting the Japanese titles for the PlayStation. Unfortunatly the XBOX isn't taken very seriously in Japan so developers there will rarely put out any title for 360 worth buying. Right now we are just starting to see this trend developing and it isn't pretty. Western developers have no such biases, certainly not to the level of the Japanese, so they will produce quality software for both platforms. The thing is that if you can get many of the best that the west has to offer on the PS3 right along with the best Japanese titles, why get an XBOX at all? No XBOX, no competition, leads to SON¥ domination and a potential Nintendo-in-the-80s like industry. I don't want that because it's bad for gamers. I hope M$ can mount a serious offense against the SON¥ hype train.

The Dark One

Piper Az

If the PS3 comes with the reported 60GB HDD, then Oblivion should run much smoother!

Time to unleash the Halo 3 ad campaign, MS!!!:)

StephaneC

goldenpp72 said:
Microsoft has rare, bungie, too human series, gears of war and a few other exclusives. Just because not all of them sell 8 million, doesn't mean they are less worthwhile.

To some of us at least.
gears of war = PC too

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure the Xbox 360 will get its share of exclusives. Per good marketing, I'm shocked that this wasn't one of them. This will be the first big Western RPG for a Sony platform since...I don't even know. It will definitely expand the market for Bethesda's games, but I really thought the million + this game sold was enough.

And people tried telling me that Oblivion on PS3 was impossible because Bethesda doesn't have a PS3 dev kits.

Now 2 of my predictions true and E3 hasn't even started yet.

Ridge Racer and Oblivion :)

Speevy

Banned
Piper Az said:
If the PS3 comes with the reported 60GB HDD, then Oblivion should run much smoother!

Time to unleash the Halo 3 ad campaign, MS!!!:)

Well Oblivion is one of those rare cases where the hard drive actually did help things, so it wasn't glossed over by the developers.

psycho_snake

I'm still holding my breath about it. I want to hear officila confirmation beofre I get too exited

Tat

Banned
m0dus said:
I'm glad I'll have it out of the way, considering how much stuff is going to be released between now and november, I wouldn't want the conflict of wanting to play a 7 month old game with all the pretty new stuff coming out. That, and I know Oblivion will shine as a 'summer doldrums' game :D

It is funny seeing people who previously expressed no interest in the game feigning enthusiasm in the hopes they can lord it over someone else when the time for comparison screenies and the pissing contests REALLY begin.

edit--oh wait, people already trying to invoke the rage of the 'xbots'. is it november already? :)

Is it really that strange that people are getting excited about a game they now don't have to buy an extra console to play?

snatches

Count Chocula said:
And people tried telling me that Oblivion on PS3 was impossible because Bethesda doesn't have a PS3 dev kits.

Now 2 of my predictions true and E3 hasn't even started yet.

Ridge Racer and Oblivion :)

Dude you are like Nostradomus or something

*bows*

open_mouth_ said:
Or it could be that the PS3 will be getting more PC ports unlike last gen.

Sysgen

Why is this so shocking? It was never announced as a 360 exclusive. If I'm a PS3 publisher with a launch title I would seriously be concerned about this plus the limited launch numbers for the PS3. Oblivion is one big time sink. You don't know that anything else exists.

WalkMan

Banned
It's funny as Sony isn't even trying to get exclusives this gen. They stated that they were working more towards providing acceptable tools for developing. I guess they forsaw that a lot of the Xbox360 games would go multi-platform anyways?

psycho_snake

Speevy said:
I'm sure the Xbox 360 will get its share of exclusives. Per good marketing, I'm shocked that this wasn't one of them. This will be the first big Western RPG for a Sony platform since...I don't even know. It will definitely expand the market for Bethesda's games, but I really thought the million + this game sold was enough.
i thought so too. this game was selling exceptionallly well and it seemed like it was selling Xbox360's too. Im surprised to see it will be released on PS3.

GhaleonEB

Has this been confirmed by anyone in a position to confirm it?
Sysgen said:
Why is this so shocking? It was never announced as a 360 exclusive. If I'm a PS3 publisher with a launch title I would seriously be concerned about this plus the limited launch numbers for the PS3. Oblivion is one big time sink. You don't know that anything else exists.
Microsoft DID announce it as a 360 "console exclusive".

Speevy

Banned
Tat said:
Is it really that strange that people are getting excited about a game they now don't have to buy an extra console to play?

This may blow your mind, but for those of us with an Xbox 360, the PS3 is an extra console.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GhaleonEB said:
Microsoft DID announce it as a 360 "console exclusive".

There's exclusive, and then there's exclusive. If this is true, it would be console exclusive to 360 until Nov.

Anyway, I know we have some Bethesda folk on GAF. The silence is deafening :p

Tat

Banned
Speevy said:
This may blow your mind, but for those of us with an Xbox 360, the PS3 is an extra console.

Yes because I wasn't talking about the people only planning to buy a PS3. I was talking about you that already own a 360 and Oblivion obviously.

:HUGEMOTHERFUCKINGROLLEYES:

Yoboman

Speevy said:
All the Elder Scrolls games are bigger than the GTA games.
So onfoot, it'd take you longer to run from one end of Oblivion's world to the other than it would for you to run from one end of San Andreas's world to the other? I find that a little hard to believe..

GhaleonEB

gofreak said:
There's exclusive, and then there's exclusive. If this is true, it would be console exclusive to 360 until Nov.

Anyway, I know we have some Bethesda folk on GAF. The silence is deafening :p
They didn't use italics. :(

I'm hopin SteveMeister will make a cameo in this thread.

Speevy

Banned
Tat said:
Yes because I wasn't talking about the people only planning to buy a PS3. I was talking about you that already own a 360 and Oblivion obviously.

:HUGEMOTHERFUCKINGROLLEYES:

Well, I recognize several posters in this thread from the Oblivion thread, which means they have the game already.

Brofist

Speevy said:

I think he meant the people that were considering an Xbox360 just for Oblivion. Obviously if you already have one that doesn't apply.

:lol guess this was resolved already

HocusPocus said:
So funny seeing folks excited for 6 month old ports :).

Its also funny to see people think that they will be playing the game. Do you people honestly believe there will be enough PS3's for you? Well, I suppose for us GAF members there will be as we will go out approximately 4 days in advance to camp outside the store. But the majority of people who want to play Oblivion? Already did, or will buy a 360 or will play on PC because PS3 won't be available to them. Unless Sony pulls PS3's out of their ass somehow.

Brofist

HocusPocus said:

Hey I was was pretty damn excited to finally play RE4 for the PS2 ;)

Not that I care about waiting for a PS3 version of Oblivion anyway already owning the PC version.

sammy

man, this kinda makes me wanna' retire my 360 version for a few months --- since likely the PS3 version might eleminate some of the issues (loads/textures)

: \

Amir0x

Banned
Well I already own the 360 version, but I'm definitely happy to see more systems get Oblivion love. Every system should get Oblivion, to share the awesome GOTY 2006 (that isn't Mother 3). Even a Rev version! (but not a DS version. Never a DS version)

psycho_snake

HocusPocus said:
Its a bit like watching Xbots getting exited over the GTA port which had been released a year before...

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some of us getting exited over an Xbox360 game coming to PS3. not all of us can afford to but all three consoles, so its good to see that such aa highly rated game is coming to a console which many of us are buying.

Top Bottom