• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Historia, The Zelda 25th anniversary art book.

Anth0ny

TP bold? Why?

There is tons of interesting art and design in TP, and I'm sure the concepts are even more interesting. Not saying MM shouldn't have more pages, but why is TP having a number of pages bad?

Fucking 32 pages is totally uncalled for when we have

Legend of Zelda - 4 pages
Link's Adventure & Link to the Past - 2 pages
Link's Awakening - 1 page
Ocarina of Time - 6 pages
Majora's Mask - 3 pages

That's 16 pages for all those games. HALF of what TP gets. I'm certain those games have tons more material in the vault.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fucking 32 pages is totally uncalled for when we have

Legend of Zelda - 4 pages
Link's Adventure & Link to the Past - 2 pages
Link's Awakening - 1 page
Ocarina of Time - 6 pages
Majora's Mask - 3 pages

That's 16 pages for all those games. HALF of what TP gets. I'm certain those games have tons more material in the vault.

I'm sure you realize that TP is probably getting so many pages because they actually have access to all the concept art and other material associated with the game, while it's probably not easy to come by a lot of that stuff for the older Zelda games. Don't forget, some Japanese companies can't even find the source code for their old games.

sphinx

the piano man
I do agree TP does not need as many pages. Renado, Ilia, and the little kid are just boring and I have no feelings for them.

but if we had some artwork for Anju and Kafei, I'd be even more hyped. Some Medli and the winged tride would be cool as well. Hopefully there's enough of it there.

I'm sure you realize that TP is probably getting so many pages because they actually have access to all the concept art and other material associated with the game, while it's probably not easy to come by a lot of that stuff for the older Zelda games. Don't forget, some Japanese companies can't even find the source code for their old games.

Bingo. If TP has that many pages, they are surely releasing ALL the concepts they have. The older games just don't have as much, or have gotten lost/tossed out. You can't really complain if it simply isn't available.

Not to mention that most of the concepts for Zelda 1 are very simple sketches of pixel art.
Legend-of-Zelda-2.jpg

They didn't spend a ton of time on concepts back then.

I do agree TP does not need as many pages. Renado, Ilia, and the little kid are just boring and I have no feelings for them.

Why do you assume it's only character concept? Probably a lot of dungeon and monster concepts too.

Screw it.

Pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.jp. No idea how much it'll end up costing me when it does ship and I'll be pissed if NoA, NoE or NAL (lol) ever decide to localise it into English.

Also, Amazon.co.jp doesn't let you ship the Nintendo-made Zelda-branded playing cards. That is some bullshit.

DownLoad

Screw it.

Pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.jp. No idea how much it'll end up costing me when it does ship and I'll be pissed if NoA, NoE or NAL (lol) ever decide to localise it into English.

Also, Amazon.co.jp doesn't let you ship the Nintendo-made Zelda-branded playing cards. That is some bullshit.

Same here, just placed order. I imagine it'll come out to around $82 for me (unless there's any hidden fees? Never bought from Amazon Jpn before). Freaking shipping was almost the same as the book >< lol.

And look at it this way. I consider it my Christmas Present to myself =)... Along with a few other things...

DownLoad

Hey guys, does Amazon JP ship outside of Japan? Any other site where this can be ordered from?

Haven't really used Amazon Jpn much... But I can say for certain it does ship the book to outside countries (or at least Canada, where I'm shipping it to). Haven't found any other sites with it listed though, sorry.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Same here, just placed order. I imagine it'll come out to around $82 for me (unless there's any hidden fees? Never bought from Amazon Jpn before). Freaking shipping was almost the same as the book >< lol.
Customs fees, likely.

Last time I ordered from them was... $10-15 in Canadian customs fees, I think?

DownLoad

¥6100 is about $80 AUD, which is more than I paid for Skyward Sword. Yes, Christmas present to myself is a great way to justify it ;)

Lol yeah pretty much same for me. $80-82 CAD or something like that. Although thinking about it, it's probably worth it since after release I'm sure it'll go for a lot more (at least it makes me feel better thinking that).

And well... At least it gives me motivation to pick up learning Japanese where I left off!

DownLoad

Customs fees, likely.

Last time I ordered from them was... $10-15 in Canadian customs fees, I think?

Ah okay, thanks. I figured there would be something like that. At least it won't surprise me, hopefully. Oh man my credit card bill next month is going to hurt ><

Jackano

I'm not friendly with amazon.jp either so I just sent emails to play-asia and yesasia.
Play-Asia have a very efficient customer service, so if someone want to order this book please do the same thing as me and send an email to Play-Asia customer service. It's very quick and if they receive the same request several times, they will more likely answer to it. Thanks!

isn't there another, older zelda art book? this one is lopsided, and the old games have the more interesting art.
I think there was Zelda Box which was Wind Waker only. I remember it had some concept art in there like IIRC long haired Tetra (or was it darker skin) and a more Adult Link.

Pronlem is older games concept art was a bit different and they might not have much left. It makes me wonder if the stuff seen in Iwata Asks like the overworld and that sprite tile is just stuff Miyamoto randomly had in his office in the bottom of a draw and not some secret vault of Nintendo art.

But as far as the older games go. Artwork-wise they have enough to fill more pages but maybe they worry the quality might not be good.

wow,.... I mean WOW... this book, this piece of zelda memorabilia will put an end to the timeline debate...
We know full-well that the timeline "explanations" will be regurgitating old information about the connections between OoT, MM, TWW, TP, PH and ST. So anyone who expects new revelations about the placements of the older games and the Capcom titles will set themselves up for a disappointment.

Big One

Banned
Some more preview pages have been shown: http://historyofhyrule.com/publications/book_hyrulehistoria/index.html

6lRq2.jpg

nE3jD.jpg

Bits of the timeline:

glyBV.jpg

6PUpw.jpg

The first page above apparently says that Link has the Triforce of Courage at the end of Ocarina of Time and tells Zelda about Ganondorf. The time he was sent was the exact time when he met Zelda in Ocarina of Time, so it's after the Great Deku Tree died.

And for anyone who couldn't believe it yes this book reconfirms the split timeline.

Mistle

oh god i need this book. i'm such a sucker for concept art.

EDIT: Zelda has some good designs, but holy shit at Midna! Thank god for them choosing the ones they did, those other designs are freaky. Same with Wolf Link. TP used to be badass.

Sad to see all the MM art is basic promo art.

ajim

What are the chances for an English version? I got burned on the Gyakuten Saiban art books.... but I need this book.
I'm hoping decent for a 25 anniversary of one of the biggest series ever. But, who knows :(

Luigiv

Bits of the timeline:

The first page above apparently says that Link has the Triforce of Courage at the end of Ocarina of Time and tells Zelda about Ganondorf. The time he was sent was the exact time when he met Zelda in Ocarina of Time, so it's after the Great Deku Tree died.

And for anyone who couldn't believe it yes this book reconfirms the split timeline.

So it's just like I thought, the book doesn't reveal anything about the timeline we didn't already know from playing the games themselves.

Big One

Banned
So it's just like I thought, the book doesn't reveal anything about the timeline we didn't already know from playing the games themselves.
Actually those little details are what we didn't know, it's always debated amongst the fanbase whether Link goes back at a point before the Sacred Realm opened, or after. This book confirms it was before. The debate was mainly about the door being closed and him not being able to get out or whatever

im salivating from just these few pages. i need this book :(

i cant wait to see concept art for fi. they should be as great as the midna ones

Fuck, I haven't started the game yet, but did I just get something spoiled?

since you already got spoiled to the biggest secret of the game, i might as well say the two links are handled magnificiently

im kidding. you didnt get spoiled on anything, but tread carefully however

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It can be done, you need to tinker a bit first (haven't done it myself so I can't help with the details :( ).

Let me know if you want to split the shipping costs with me!
I believe there's a massive saving when ordering two, as usual per Amazon? We could have both shipped to you and then you'd ship mine to me via cheap raccomandata or viceversa.

Luigiv

Actually those little details are what we didn't know, it's always debated amongst the fanbase whether Link goes back at a point before the Sacred Realm opened, or after. This book confirms it was before. The debate was mainly about the door being closed and him not being able to get out or whatever

I see. Guess that makes sense.

ASIS

They definitely went with the right Midna concept. Those other ones are really cool though.

They had the right idea though. A tribal feeling would have perfectly fitted her.

Her "normal" concept art though... WTF?!!

Also, I like those wolves better than the one we got.

They had the right idea though. A tribal feeling would have perfectly fitted her.

Her "normal" concept art though... WTF?!!

Also, I like those wolves better than the one we got.

Even if cool the rest of the designs scream TP ugly strange NPC designs.

Bingo. If TP has that many pages, they are surely releasing ALL the concepts they have. The older games just don't have as much, or have gotten lost/tossed out. You can't really complain if it simply isn't available.

Not to mention that most of the concepts for Zelda 1 are very simple sketches of pixel art.
Legend-of-Zelda-2.jpg

They didn't spend a ton of time on concepts back then.

Why do you assume it's only character concept? Probably a lot of dungeon and monster concepts too.

Im pretty sure nothing is lost in the concept department of any nintendo game. We know they like to have it all in their secret vault were very few things see again the light of day (this is a very strange ocassion, as they usually never release anything like this. I would prefer a Disney approach from Nintendo with this things but what are we going to do *shrugs*).
HOWEVER you are right that is very probable that theres very little "concept art" as we know it today, from the older games.

Top Bottom