• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Why are yall even bringing up his movies again wtf?

Anyways, I have the same worry. The last time someone was down there was in the 60's. Who knows what has changed since then. I hope something random doesn't happen like a sperm whale spearing him or the cthulhu swallowing him whole. Ok it's best not to think like this. >_<

Esch

Banned
What on earth did James Cameron do to some of your families? Wishing for a mans death cause you didnt like a movie he made, or just because he has enough money to realize a dream? Crazy.

Anyway this is cool; i hope he gets some good footage of deep sea creatures that make it hard for me to sleep and night.

jmdajr

What on earth did James Cameron do to some of your families? Wishing for a mans death cause you didnt like a movie he made, or just because he has enough money to realize a dream? Crazy.

Anyway this is cool; i hope he gets some good footage of deep sea creatures that make it hard for me to sleep and night.

I must have missed all that. The fuck is wrong with these people. Maybe I should wish for these people to die just for hating James Cameron because it's as ridiculous as wishing his death for simply being James Cameron.

I agree with poster above. I need more media coverage! Welp..might have to wait to see it on the big screen.

Keep your eyes open for this Jim

250px-The_Heart_of_the_Ocean.jpg

James Cameron begins 'Deepsea Challenger' dive

Mar. 20, 2012 09:01 AM
USA TODAY

James Cameron has set sail. Or rather, taken the plunge.

After waiting out several days of bad weather, Cameron's Deepsea Challenger expedition began its journey on Monday evening, said Ellen Stanley, a spokeswoman for National Geographic, one of the project sponsors.

Cameron and his lime green state-of-the-art submarine left Guam to begin their groundbreaking dive into the Marianas Trench, reports Guam's Pacific Daily News. The filmmaker plans to take his single-pilot sub to the deepest point in the ocean -- about 7 miles down. He hopes to stay there for about six hours to collect all scientific data and never-before-seen footage, including 3-D footage.

"The goal of all this is not just to set records and do grandstanding dives," Cameron told "Nature" just hours before heading to sea. "We want to push the envelope not only of scientific knowledge but also of engineering."
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/...s-cameron-begins-deepsea-challenger-dive.html

equap

Banned

because they're losers who accomplished nothing.

I don't know what the fuck is going on in here with the Cameron haters or even Cameron movie haters. the guy makes amazing films.

anyways

this is pretty great! god speed Cameron!

Has the sub started the dive yet? or has the ship just left port?

I don't know what the fuck is going on in here with the Cameron haters or even Cameron movie haters. the guy makes amazing films.

anyways

this is pretty great! god speed Cameron!

Has the sub started the dive yet? or has the ship just left port?
Isn't the dive supposed to begin in wednesday? I think they just left port.

What the fuck is going on, National Geographic? If he started the plunge three hours ago, he should be on the bottom! Somebody give us a goddamn update!

Cmagus

wonder if they don't have anything yet or won't till he comes back up.A live stream for when he does come back up would be incredible though.

wonder if they don't have anything yet or won't till he comes back up.A live stream for when he does come back up would be incredible though.

They would at least know when he's on the bottom. Which he should be by now if I remember correctly. His descent was only supposed to take just over two hours, as opposed to the four hour descent of the guys in the 1960.

At least let us know that he reached the bottom.

MutFox

Banned
They would at least know when he's on the bottom. Which he should be by now if I remember correctly. His descent was only supposed to take just over two hours, as opposed to the four hour descent of the guys in the 1960.

At least let us know that he reached the bottom.

They probably won't say anything until he's safe on the surface.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What happens if he doesn't make it back? Do they leave the sub and his body down there, or is there a way to retrieve them?

Cmagus

I just hope when he gets back it doesn't turn into like a month of waiting for some special they are going to do.

Bowdz

I am so damn excited for the next few years to play out. Private expansion into space and deep sea exploration is already heating up with SpaceX's ISS dock scheduled for late April and Cameron already starting his dive. Branson should be launching both Virgin Galactic and Virgin Oceanic within the next year, Eric Schmidt is funding a deep sea sub, there are countless private aerospace start ups like Blue Origin, Armadillo, and Stratolaunch which all promise to expand private flight to space and unique launch systems, and SpaceX is scheduled to test the Falcon Heavy (one of the most powerful rockets since the Saturn V) from Vandenberg around November of this year. One way or another, exploration is going to place, whether it is government funded or billionaires footing the bill.

Dude, have some sense of humor. I'm not wishing for Cameron's death at all. All I'm saying is that the irony of it would be pretty evident. I'm not saying I'd be a fan of that irony, or anything. Saying that something would be ironic doesn't mean it's something I want to happen.

For instance, it would be pretty ironic if I died drowning in my next swimming session, having talked shit about Cameron's projects. And I don't want that to happen, obviously.

But yeah, HE THINKS CAMERON'S DEATH WOULD BE IRONIC, HE SURELY NEVER ACCOMPLISHED WITH HIS LIFE AND IS A LOSER, THROW HIM SOME STONES, HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND OUR GENIAL LEADER.

Does FOX have some kind of insurance covering whatever can happen to Cameron during his dive? They already have a deal about Avatar 2 and 3 there is money at stake.

I bet they'd just have Michael Bay direct the sequels instead. Not that it'd make a lot of difference. I KID, PEOPLE, I KID.

I do believe now that the article Computer posted was just a poorly worded version of the one I posted last night. I don't think he's begun the dive, and is still waiting at the surface site.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What happens if he doesn't make it back? Do they leave the sub and his body down there, or is there a way to retrieve them?

If there was anything left, retrieval would be highly unlikely.

I think a lot of people don't appreciate what Cameron is doing here. This is only the 2nd manned sub to go that deep, and there have only been two unmanned dives. This is something very rare, it's not some rich guy paying to go into space.

Allard

If astronauts can tweet from outer space, he can tweet from this trench.

Gonna go with Sculli in that he hasn't actually dived yet.

Actually from my understanding it is really hard to communicate in a deep sea dive unless there is a physical connection (Wire) that one can directly relay information. The water can really mess with standard communication channels, especially over radio waves and for that matter satellite of which astronauts probably have a 'bit' easier time getting in communication with :p.

jett

D-Member
Actually from my understanding it is really hard to communicate in a deep sea dive unless there is a physical connection (Wire) that one can directly relay information. The water can really mess with standard communication channels, especially over radio waves and for that matter satellite of which astronauts probably have a 'bit' easier time getting in communication with :p.

I'm assuming there's a constant cable connection between his submarine and the ship on the surface.

I'm assuming there's a constant cable connection between his submarine and the ship on the surface.

They said there is, but that once he reaches the bottom it will most likely take 4 minutes or so to receive each communique'.

They said there is also the chance they could lose all audio contact. Then he just because Bud from The Abyss.

Regardless if Cameron can communicate, there should at least be someone on the surface saying how long he's been down there, how far he's expected to be, etc.

Regardless if Cameron can communicate, there should at least be someone on the surface saying how long he's been down there, how far he's expected to be, etc.

Again, we think the story Computer posted is poorly worded and that he is merely waiting at the surface site and hasn't actually started his descent. Probably still waiting on weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom