• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Skelter

Banned
I bought a pair of 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones . They sound incredible to me! This is the first time I ever bought anything cheaper than cheap $10 earphones.

Anyway, question is can anyone give me a decent entry level portable dac/amp? I really only ever listen to music on my iPhone and being from NYC I'm always commuting on the train. Nothing too crazy budget wise. $150 but I can be seduced and spend a little higher...$200?

Is it worth waiting 6 months for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX or should I just get the Massdrop x AKG K7XX?

I'm coming from a MDR-V6 and I've really appreciated its natural sound so I'd like to stay that way if possible.

Is it worth waiting 6 months for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX or should I just get the Massdrop x AKG K7XX?

I'm coming from a MDR-V6 and I've really appreciated its natural sound so I'd like to stay that way if possible.

Yes, the hd6xx is in another league above the K7xx. The hd6xx for $199 is an absolute steal.

The question is do I need to buy one? I already have HD 650.

I could give it away as a gift to one of my cousins.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Consensus is that it's more of an upgrade upgrade, but it depends in your tastes.

Anyway, looking forward to my zolo+ hopefully not being delayed like every Kickstarter thing ever.

sirap

I'm fine with delays, I just hope they deliver on their promises.

That $10 upgrade sure made a lot of folks angry. Still jumped on it :p

wilflare

Consensus is that it's more of an upgrade upgrade, but it depends in your tastes.

Anyway, looking forward to my zolo+ hopefully not being delayed like every Kickstarter thing ever.

guess I'll jump on it then.
and I'll check out the Zolo+ (still using my trusty TF10 with custom cables)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah, they sent the offer to backers 3 days ago. If you upgrade your pledge to the $109 "First Batch Special" tier you're guaranteed to get first shipment. Kinda shady tbh.

Any good links to the reactions? I need the pain of souls to feed my eternal youth.

HiResDes

Outside of the X1s treble peaks I didn't think they were that inferior, but I'm willing to trade a little midbass fun for completely full mids.

B.O.O.M

Hello everyone, I was hoping you can help me figure out something.

I was considering buying this following headset (on amazon)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3&cm_re=sony_h.ear-_-9SIA22F5V26573-_-Product

But as you can see, there's some warning on newegg regarding this product and cancer causing material. I tried to look into the official page of that California website but honestly I don't really get it. If I use these headsets do I run the risk of getting cancer? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just genuinely confused. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

LQX

Hello everyone, I was hoping you can help me figure out something.

I was considering buying this following headset (on amazon)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3&cm_re=sony_h.ear-_-9SIA22F5V26573-_-Product

But as you can see, there's some warning on newegg regarding this product and cancer causing material. I tried to look into the official page of that California website but honestly I don't really get it. If I use these headsets do I run the risk of getting cancer? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just genuinely confused. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

I would not worry about it. It's not just on those headphone, it is on a lot of products. I've seen the warning on motherboards and even a MP3 Player I was thinking about getting.

B.O.O.M

I would not worry about it. It's not just on those headphone, it is on a lot of products. I've seen the warning on motherboards and even a MP3 Player I was thinking about getting.

Excellent. Phew. Scared me a bit there with the random warning lol I love Sony headphones and this one looks pretty fantastic so really wanted to buy it. Thanks man

Sony

Nintendo
Hi guys,

Quick question as I'm not knowledgeable on the subject yet. Which one would you recommend out of the two: Sony MDR-1A or Sony MDR-ZX770BN.
They are roughly the same price. The ZX has NFC and Bluetooth, which the 1A doesn't have, but the 1A has a better audio range I would say. However, I think I would need better audio sources to appreciate the 1A better. What say you?

X-Frame

So apparently the HE-400i's changed their sound profile when they changed the plug connectors to 2.5mm a few years ago, and many are saying that the bass took a signficant hit. Has anyone known about this?

http://reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6hiovh

http://reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6kpy2b

This is strange to me because while I don't consider myself a bass head, I have 400i's with the 2.5mm revision and I find the bass perfect for what I like -- quick and punchy with no bleeding or muddiness.

LogicStep

I'm cross posting from another thread. Figured this is a better place to ask.

I play on PC and I'm an audio noob. I'm tired of getting killed by people that I can't tell precisely where they are killing me from.

I have Astro A40 and I have learned that they are not great. They have also not helped me a whole lot in games with precision in telling where enemy players are at. I want to be able to hear everything with clarity and tell exactly where other players are by their footsteps and gun shots.

So I've been doing some research but there is so much damn info out there and I'm a audio noob.

I'm looking at the AD900X (or AKG K702) and FiiO E10k and a ModMic 5. This is what I have narrowed it down to. I should be able to get what I'm looking for with this set up right?

On my research I recently found the Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 pro which looks like is a good product. I just don't know if it's going to be that much better than the E10k considering the price difference.

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this? Any other product I should consider over those listed?

Thanks!

X-Frame

I'm cross posting from another thread. Figured this is a better place to ask.

I play on PC and I'm an audio noob. I'm tired of getting killed by people that I can't tell precisely where they are killing me from.

I have Astro A40 and I have learned that they are not great. They have also not helped me a whole lot in games with precision in telling where enemy players are at. I want to be able to hear everything with clarity and tell exactly where other players are by their footsteps and gun shots.

So I've been doing some research but there is so much damn info out there and I'm a audio noob.

I'm looking at the AD900X (or AKG K702) and FiiO E10k and a ModMic 5. This is what I have narrowed it down to. I should be able to get what I'm looking for with this set up right?

On my research I recently found the Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 pro which looks like is a good product. I just don't know if it's going to be that much better than the E10k considering the price difference.

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this? Any other product I should consider over those listed?

Thanks!

For Gaming I found the following guide very helpful, though I believe it may be somewhat out of date.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added.534479/

There is also Zeos / Z Reviews that has a Reddit thread on Gaming headphones.

http://reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66x9c0

So apparently the HE-400i's changed their sound profile when they changed the plug connectors to 2.5mm a few years ago, and many are saying that the bass took a signficant hit. Has anyone known about this?

http://reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6hiovh

http://reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6kpy2b

This is strange to me because while I don't consider myself a bass head, I have 400i's with the 2.5mm revision and I find the bass perfect for what I like -- quick and punchy with no bleeding or muddiness.
What amp are you using? I like my 400i (2.5mm) but far prefer the bass of my Denon D2000. Though, I might be a mild basshead, so it's pretty subjective.

X-Frame

What amp are you using? I like my 400i (2.5mm) but far prefer the bass of my Denon D2000. Though, I might be a mild basshead, so it's pretty subjective.

I use the Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber, which I hear is a pretty popular combo but apparently the 400i's would benefit more from a warmer setup.

LogicStep

It's what I use! My gaming setup is Fidelio X2's with a BoomPro mic into the Astro Mixamp into my PS4. Works great.
Cool, so I could just skip the dac/amp and just get the AD900X and the ModMic. I do feel that I can't get the volume loud enough on my Astro A40s.

Fox1304

Welp, got a deal too good to pass up on the Fiio X5iii. Wasn't planning on buying it (leaning more towards the cayin X3), but at nearly 50% couldn't leave it. Hope the UI is speedy enough.
On another subject, I bought some cheap B&O H3 on groupon, that in the end were some dirty cheap knockoffs. Incredible to see this sold by groupon.

LogicStep

I went ahead with the AD900X, FiiO 10k, and ModMic 5. Hopefully I enjoy the end result. This will be the first time with open headphones and any kind of "audiophile" gear.

Ozorov

Thinking of buying a pair for bluetooth headphones for my phone. Will mostly use them while training, cycling to/from work and riding the bus.

I think I want in-ear ones and I've seen these: BOSE SoundSport. Anyone have them and can recommend them? Anyone that would recommend another pair of headphones?

andylsun

My Aurisonics Rockets are failing in the left channel. If I rotate the jack in the socket, the left side comes and goes. Cleaned with Deoxit D5, and tried multiple devices - oh well, let's see how good Fender's warranty support is now.

To be fair they were very responsive when I needed some replacement sureseal tips last year.

Edit: good job Fender, rockets shipping to them today for repair.

Looking to buy some noise cancelling headphones.

Deciding between these two: Bose QC35 or Sony MDX 1000x

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Barrett2

Just purchased over-ear closed back headphones (normally only use earbuds). Love the new headphones, but after a week it feels like my inner ears have small amount of fluid inside. Years ago when I wore other over-ear headphones during a hot NYC summer I had similar issue. In general I sweat a lot so wondering if this is related.

Anyone ever experienced this, where over-ear headphones cause inner ear fluid buildup / mild discomfort? Is this a thing?

I'm trying to gauge whether open-back headphones would solve this, or if I should just invest in more high quality earbuds and accept that my body just doesn't like over-ear headphones. Thanks!

X-Frame

Just purchased over-ear closed back headphones (normally only use earbuds). Love the new headphones, but after a week it feels like my inner ears have small amount of fluid inside. Years ago when I wore other over-ear headphones during a hot NYC summer I had similar issue. In general I sweat a lot so wondering if this is related.

Anyone ever experienced this, where over-ear headphones cause inner ear fluid buildup / mild discomfort? Is this a thing?

I'm trying to gauge whether open-back headphones would solve this, or if I should just invest in more high quality earbuds and accept that my body just doesn't like over-ear headphones. Thanks!

Funny enough I am experiencing this now with IEM's that I am able to get a great seal with. If I wear them for about 30-45 minutes or more, when I take them out I feel my ears slightly clogged. It also affects my hearing, increased sensitivity to high pitched sounds for about 15 minutes after.

I never used to experience this though, but only within the last month did I realize I had been using IEM's with a less than ideal seal, so since I improved that with new tips, maybe that is related.

It is also summer here in NY too.

Funny enough I am experiencing this now with IEM's that I am able to get a great seal with. If I wear them for about 30-45 minutes or more, when I take them out I feel my ears slightly clogged. It also affects my hearing, increased sensitivity to high pitched sounds for about 15 minutes after.

I never used to experience this though, but only within the last month did I realize I had been using IEM's with a less than ideal seal, so since I improved that with new tips, maybe that is related.

It is also summer here in NY too.

I get this with IEMs too. I typically only wear them for working out so I assumed it was sweat-related,

LogicStep

Holy shit, what have I stepped into.

Edit:

I love these headphones. Has anyone here replaced the ear pads on the AD900X? They are too shallow and my ears touch the driver which is uncomfortable. I'm researching online to find which ones would be best.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I was helping my dad move a bunch of things out of my grandparents' old house and rescued 22 vacuum tubes from a 1963 television. I'm not sure which, if any, of them are usable but if they are this'll be great. I can see the labels on most of them. Two are still cased in this metal sheath that was around them while in use.

I'm going to update the part with the tube #s. No 12AX7 as far as I've seen so far. Not sure what might be usable in a tube amp.

Tubes:
Sylvania 6LF8
Raythson 6KZ8
RCA 6GH8A
RCA Electron 6JH6
(? brand) 6HZ6
RCA Electron 6GU7
Sylvania 6GH8A
RCA Electron 6EW6
Sylvania 12BY7A 12BV7 12DQ7
Sylvania 2AV2
RCA Electron 6GU7
RCA Electron 6HZ6
Sylvania 6GM6
RCA Electron 6JC6
RCA Electron 6JC6A
Sylvania 6?Q5A 6HG5
RCA Electron 6HZ6
RCA Electron 6FQ7? 6CG7
RCA Electron 6KA8 (maybe B)
(Unbranded) 6GF7A
Sylvania 6CJ3 6DW4B
Silvertone 6JE6C 6LQ6

The bottom 5 are a gradient from a bit larger than the rest to straight double the height. I'm going to try to look up the different models I've got. Very new to tubes and I don't have anything to test these with.

Oh, and a RCA nuvistor 7-09. A quick google shows that it's also a tube. It doesn't look like one at all so I almost didn't bring it back with me.

Bloodember

Well, I just upgraded my DAC/AMP to a Schiit Jotunheim. Not sure if I needed it but what the fuck. I have been using a Practical Devices XM6 with the WM8741 DAC and the AD8397 DoubleCat amp. Should have the Schiit by the weekend.

Jabronium

Well, I just upgraded my DAC/AMP to a Schiit Jotunheim. Not sure if I needed it but what the fuck. I have been using a Practical Devices XM6 with the WM8741 DAC and the AD8397 DoubleCat amp. Should have the Schiit by the weekend.

Nice. I was lusting after a Jot pretty hard earlier this year, look forward to hearing your impressions.

matmanx1

I received an email from Chan this morning at Emu. Looks like my Emu Teak headphones shipped today and should be arriving this week. Needless to say, I am very excited. I already have the Massdrop Dekoni hybrid pads and I will pop them on as soon as I get the headphones as the pads were really my only complaint about the TH-X00's that I owned previously.

After having owned my ZMF Eikon for a couple of months I think it will be interesting to do some back and forth comparison between the two on my setup. I really think my current setup (Metrum Musette DAC -> Schiit Saga -> Schiit Jotunheim) favors stuff like the Emu Teak / TH-X00's over the Eikon but I still expect the Eikon to be more neutral and better with the fine details while the Emu Teak's will be warmer and more fun sounding overall.

andylsun

Done!

3D Printer upgraded, and reprinted the cups. Built a temporary cable out of speaker wire, and we are up and running.

Very pleased with the comfort and look. Considering how it was patched together I think it looks great. Still some smoothing to do, but good enough for a first run.

As to the sound, I'm pretty pleased. Not the bass monsters I was expecting, and a pretty nice even signature. They don't sound massively different from the originals, and could with a little bit more top end sizzle. I'll look at tuning options, but on first listen with some radiohead (In rainbows) they are very good. Good isolation, so should fulful my goal of a pair of over ear, planar, closed (ish) travel headphones.

The orange tape on the outside is due to clips on the ends of the arms actually are in two pieces and don't like to hold together. I may print some replacements in matching grey.

I'm going to look at running off another set of cups in ABS next time and try acentone vapor smoothing, then will transfer the drivers across.

xDAVJmnl.jpg

RViIEAUl.jpg

8Gy1TBKl.jpg

sVXr1eYl.jpg

gEMmOWCl.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man the grain on those cups looks freaking dope, good job.

I received an email from Chan this morning at Emu. Looks like my Emu Teak headphones shipped today and should be arriving this week. Needless to say, I am very excited. I already have the Massdrop Dekoni hybrid pads and I will pop them on as soon as I get the headphones as the pads were really my only complaint about the TH-X00's that I owned previously.

After having owned my ZMF Eikon for a couple of months I think it will be interesting to do some back and forth comparison between the two on my setup. I really think my current setup (Metrum Musette DAC -> Schiit Saga -> Schiit Jotunheim) favors stuff like the Emu Teak / TH-X00's over the Eikon but I still expect the Eikon to be more neutral and better with the fine details while the Emu Teak's will be warmer and more fun sounding overall.

I look forward to your impressions.

Bloodember

Done!

3D Printer upgraded, and reprinted the cups. Built a temporary cable out of speaker wire, and we are up and running.

Very pleased with the comfort and look. Considering how it was patched together I think it looks great. Still some smoothing to do, but good enough for a first run.

As to the sound, I'm pretty pleased. Not the bass monsters I was expecting, and a pretty nice even signature. They don't sound massively different from the originals, and could with a little bit more top end sizzle. I'll look at tuning options, but on first listen with some radiohead (In rainbows) they are very good. Good isolation, so should fulful my goal of a pair of over ear, planar, closed (ish) travel headphones.

The orange tape on the outside is due to clips on the ends of the arms actually are in two pieces and don't like to hold together. I may print some replacements in matching grey.

I'm going to look at running off another set of cups in ABS next time and try acentone vapor smoothing, then will transfer the drivers across.

xDAVJmnl.jpg

RViIEAUl.jpg

8Gy1TBKl.jpg

sVXr1eYl.jpg

gEMmOWCl.jpg

How's it sound ft from original? Also where did you get the files to print them?

Heel

Can anyone give a little info on how an amp's specs equate to whether or not they can drive particular headphones? Did some reading, but still confused.

Picked up this little DAC/amp/bluetooth unit on the cheap from SlickDeals and curious whether or not it could drive the Sennheiser HD6XX sufficiently. Aware from some reading that these particular headphones are "high impedance" and "power hungry" or whatever, but how does one figure it all out? What's the result of not being sufficiently powerful enough, being too quiet?

I'm actually just getting the unit to bluetooth to my television with some non-bluetooth headphones, but wouldn't mind getting some nice headphones to use along with it in other scenarios.

Big Blue Headphone Amplifier

Earphone Output 90mW+90mW / 16Ω
Compatibility Hi-Res Audio Sample Rate up to 384KHz / 32Bit
 96KHz / 24bit USB audio decoding and output for PC
 192KHz / 24bit SPDIF output and input for Hi-Fi System
 384KHz / 32bit / 112 dB SNR Digital-to-Analog Convertor(DAC) for better sound
quality
 96KHz / 24bit Analog-to-Digital Convertor(ADC) for line input
 Build-in 138mW DirectPath stereo headphone amplifier for high performance,
good resolution, low distortion, and powerful output

HD6XX

Frequency response: 10 Hz – 41 kHz