• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transparent frogs, tiny geckos and snail-sucking snakes (new species!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

003464a590d.jpg
The beating heart of this see-through frog can be clearly seen.

Part of the amphibian family Centrolenidae, commonly known as "glass frogs", this species was found on the Ecuadorian coast near Muisne.

(Image: Paul S Hamilton / RAEI)

00346faae0c.jpg

This bright male O'Shaughnessy's Dwarf Iguana, Enyalioides oshaughnessyi, was discovered in a cloud forest.

00346462af8.jpg

The tiny scaly-eyed gecko, Lepidoblepharis buschwaldii, is one of the smallest geckos known to exist.

00346afea30.jpg

Salamanders of the genus Bolitoglossa lack lungs.

Instead, they breathe entirely through their skin.

This one was encountered in western Ecuador.

00346544019.jpg

This unidentified rain frog of the genus Pristimantis was found in Cerro Pata de Pájaro in western Ecuador.

00346cf2099.jpg

Another unidentified rain frog of the genus Pristimantis.

This one is distinguished by a red streak through the iris.

003460d44c4.jpg

A spectacular eyelash viper, Bothriechis schlegelli.

00346a9726b.jpg

An unidentified snail-sucking snake of the genus Sibon.

A similar species was found nearly 1000 kilometres away in Panama.

0034618e343.jpg

This is a new stick insect, of the genus Xylospinodes.

It was one of at least four new species of such creatures discovered by the expedition.

003464eb89d.jpg

Rain frogs, like these unidentified Pristimantis individuals, are dependent on moist habitats as they lay their eggs in trees.

As a result, climate change caused by human activity may interfere with these frogs' ability to reproduce.

Gallery here

I thought it was cool anyway.

Goldrusher

And because one dude was caught sucking a snail, your species will be forever known as the snail-sucking snake. :lol

Speevy

Banned
00346faae0c.jpg

Have you ever seen an iguana as bright and yellow as I? No, you haven't, my friend. This matter is not up for discussion. Legions bow before me.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Speevy said:
Have you ever seen an iguana as bright and yellow as I? No, you haven't, my friend. This matter is not up for discussion. Legions bow before me.

xptoy0.jpg

mclem

Gaborn said:
00346462af8.jpg

The tiny scaly-eyed gecko, Lepidoblepharis buschwaldii, is one of the smallest geckos known to exist.

I spent a while gazing at this one trying to work out exactly what I was supposed to use as a point of reference for determining the size. Took me far too long to work out what he was standing on.

Arthrus

I once took a trip to Costa Rica, and while hiking along a trail to a sustainable-living facility we came across an eyelash viper. They're tiny and hard to notice, and apparently quite poisonous. I've never been bitten by a snake and I don't want to find out how it feels :lol

ILikeFeet

Banned
Arthrus said:
I once took a trip to Costa Rica, and while hiking along a trail to a sustainable-living facility we came across an eyelash viper. They're tiny and hard to notice, and apparently quite poisonous. I've never been bitten by a snake and I don't want to find out how it feels :lol

5xlic0.jpg

mclem said:
I spent a while gazing at this one trying to work out exactly what I was supposed to use as a point of reference for determining the size. Took me far too long to work out what he was standing on.
A giant pencil.

Great thread. It should become a series.

Ironborn

Banned
wow, this is amazing, i want a few of those small geckos :lol
but it also makes me sad because the rainforest is being destroyed at an alarming rate by assholes for other assholes who want a table out of rainforest wood or some shit
god damn it

edit: LMAO @ wrex :lol

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
It just boggles my mind the kind of things that are out there that we just don't know about ...

... Also makes me wonder how many undiscovered species we've killed or endangered without knowing.

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm pretty sure that the transparent frog aren't a new discovery. Lungless amphibians that breathe through their skin have also been known about for a while.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Absolutely insane.

Like someone said, it took me a minute to figure out what that tiny ass gecko was standing on. For some reason, I thought it was a glass of some sort... weird.

trinest

mclem said:

Once you saw it you couldn't un see it.

00346462af8.jpg

Imagine like 1000s of these little suckers running towards you.

003464a590d.jpg

Hehehee it looks like a candy of some sort.

Oh and GAF look what I found:

cerbalus660.jpg

Why didn't you say anything about him? Hes new too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom