• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That new trailer for Discovery was better, I'm cautiously excited again. I really hope it's good.

Oh I have been meaning to give that a watch, thanks for the suggestion

I can't stand Chakotay, he's the worst character on there. He's basically Janeways lap dog. I don't mind Harry but they couldn't figure out what to do with him so he's just kinda there. I like Tom and B'lanna together and Neelix is ok in the background.

Neelix is cringe worthy before Kes leaves. After that he's one of the better characters.

The most damning thing about Voyager is how much the talent of the actors involved was wasted by how poor, bland, and just uninteresting the characters were.

Bonus Game: Name a worse Trek character than Neelix!

Tuvok is worse than Neelix. I mean, Neelix is quite bad, but, Tuvok is the worst.

That's the thing about Tuvix, clearly he had to die because he was FAR too interesting of a character to keep on living on that ship.

also I had always thought that was Russ who played him, until I saw the real actor in another thing years later and it blew my mind.

That's the thing about Tuvix, clearly he had to die because he was FAR too interesting of a character to keep on living on that ship.

also I had always thought that was Russ who played him, until I saw the real actor in another thing years later and it blew my mind.

I liked Tuvix.

In the moral quandary about which life form to keep, I vote for the one that everyone likes instead of the two that everyone hate. Better morale.

They could have easily have gotten around the issue of not making her a murderer by discovering that Tuvix couldn't survive much longer or something.

Ugh the lazy writing in Voyager is annoying.

Edit: I actually forgot about Tuvox earlier....which says it all really.

Fuchsdh

What would have been the point of offering her an easy escape route? The brilliant part of Tuvix is that there is no easy option out of the moral quandary. The technobabble creates and undoes the central problem, but it doesn't (and can't) solve it. That's good framing and tension.

What would have been the point of offering her an easy escape route? The brilliant part of Tuvix is that there is no easy option out of the moral quandary. The technobabble creates and undoes the central problem, but it doesn't (and can't) solve it. That's good framing and tension.

Oh indeed, my problem is with the 'oh he would have died anyways' even being in there.

Was a pointless defelction of the whole 'Janeway just murdered a sentient being begging to be kept alive' thing.

My problem with it is that they shouldn't have made Janeway the one to decide. Have Tuvix be the one to realize he's murdering two people by staying alive. You can still have Janeway give her opinion on what she thinks Tuvix should do but ultimately it should have fallen to Tuvix to decide.

Fuchsdh

My problem with it is that they shouldn't have made Janeway the one to decide. Have Tuvix be the one to realize he's murdering two people by staying alive. You can still have Janeway give her opinion on what she thinks Tuvix should do but ultimately it should have fallen to Tuvix to decide.

But he didn't want to go. So ultimately Janeway decided. I think it was the "right" decision (2 people for one), even if it wasn't the "right" decision (because you still trampled a person's right to live in the process). But that's what makes it such a good ep, because people can argue the opposite and have plenty of merit as well.

It's just a shame we never got to see the echoes of that choice down the line. "Author, Author" would have been a great point to turn the Janeway caricature into the Doctor's quiet protest against what Janeway did, for example. What makes it worse is he specifically throws out a line like "as far as I know, you've never murdered any of my patients." But she did!

Fathead

But he didn't want to go. So ultimately Janeway decided. I think it was the "right" decision (2 people for one), even if it wasn't the "right" decision (because you still trampled a person's right to live in the process). But that's what makes it such a good ep, because people can argue the opposite and have plenty of merit as well.

It's just a shame we never got to see the echoes of that choice down the line. "Author, Author" would have been a great point to turn the Janeway caricature into the Doctor's quiet protest against what Janeway did, for example. What makes it worse is he specifically throws out a line like "as far as I know, you've never murdered any of my patients." But she did!

Except what Janeway does is established as wrong in Trek. If Data is not the property of Starfleet and has the right to choose not to be disassembled, then Tuvix had the same right. Regardless of his origin.

Janeway does not have the right to murder someone against their will. Sure, she can order someone to their death, but they can resign, etc. They have the choice because they are sentient beings and have rights.

This is a spot where if the writers had balls, they could have said that this isn't right, it isn't moral, it isn't "starfleet" and had Janeway do it anyway because of where Voyager was, so far from home and struggling for survival. It would be a huge character moment. But they chicken out and just make Janeway a cold blooded killer because Janeway misses her friend. And then forget about the whole damn thing by the next episode.

I agree that the theme makes it a good episode but the way they handled it with Janeway forcing the decision was bad. Tuvix could have wanted to stay, Janeway could have pushed him to die for Neelix and Tuvox and it would have been fine if Tuvix had decided the "right" decision was for Neelix and Tuvox to live even if he had to die and the episode would have been better for it. No need to bring up that he was going to die anyways.

Instead they make Janeway force the issue, look terrible and then have it mean nothing by hand-waving it away at the end, they even had the perfect chance to bring it up like you said but like always the writers just ignored it afterwords.

I'm actually surprised that Seven, the Doctor and Tom and B'lannas relationship have developed at all considering how easily they drop any character development or story progressions.

This would have been a good plot thread to start a relationship for Neelix and Tuvox and they even hinted as such but it never went anywhere.

Sephzilla

Bonus Game: Name a worse Trek character than Neelix!

latest

I was going to suggest Q2 as a worse character but he got better as the episode went on.

Also Q was looking kinda rough there....parenthood doesn't agree with him apparently

nOoblet16

Rewatching the DS9 pilot and the conversation with the wormhole aliens where he tries to explain linear existence to them is such a great scene.

Fuchsdh

But they're fighting the Pah Wraiths!!!!!!!

lulz.

I was recently reading a halfway decent attempt at trying to rectify the whole Prophets thing, and they made the fair point that if time is nonlinear than everything with Bajor and the Orbs could have essentially been "post-contact". But it still couldn't explain the predestination paradox with them making sure The Sisko would be The Sisko, and it still doesn't explain the dumb Pah-Wraiths and the dumb book.

I was recently reading a halfway decent attempt at trying to rectify the whole Prophets thing, and they made the fair point that if time is nonlinear than everything with Bajor and the Orbs could have essentially been "post-contact". But it still couldn't explain the predestination paradox with them making sure The Sisko would be The Sisko, and it still doesn't explain the dumb Pah-Wraiths and the dumb book.

Yup, completely ruined the first encounter and the entire idea of the "prophets"

It's how a fair number of Trek fans actually view her. It's so great.

And then they do it again in Author, Author!

When I first saw Living Witness I thought that's when Janeway was turning the corner to the evil captain I always hear about lol I just watched Author, Author yesterday and it reminding me of the same thing but I really don't think she's as bad as people claim...although I still have a few episodes to go before I get to the ending.

Cheerilee

When I first saw Living Witness I thought that's when Janeway was turning the corner to the evil captain I always hear about lol I just watched Author, Author yesterday and it reminding me of the same thing but I really don't think she's as bad as people claim...although I still have a few episodes to go before I get to the ending.

I mostly just think of Evil Janeway as a fun thing Chuck from SFDebris does for comedy in his Voyager reviews.

Incidentally, he's a really great reviewer (as an example, I liked that time when he explained the difference in "honor" between Worf and the rest of the Klingons), and his reviews are highly recommended.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mostly just think of Evil Janeway as a fun thing Chuck from SFDebris does for comedy in his Voyager reviews.

Incidentally, he's a really great reviewer (as an example, I liked that time when he explained the difference in "honor" between Worf and the rest of the Klingons), and his reviews are highly recommended.

He goes hard in the paint on Voyager especially. Makes sense as those are the reviews he pretty much did first. But his opinions on Neelix/Janeway et al are pretty popular ones from before the time Youtube showed up. I think he's a bit too hard on a lot of them considering his show is mostly going for a serious critical tone.

Sephzilla

To me, Voyager's finale is the confirmation that Janeway is ultimately a selfish me-first person who puts her own moral beliefs way ahead of everything else

Yeah I've seen some of his stuff before, it's pretty good

To me, Voyager's finale is the confirmation that Janeway is ultimately a selfish me-first person who puts her own moral beliefs way ahead of everything else

I'm four episodes away from watching that, very curious to see what she does.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol the Voyager finale is terrible for Janeway's character and runs against all the rules of Trek established by their stupid time cop stories.

what's funny is that even though they tried to go for an emotional goodbye with everyone standing around, I felt nothing at all and they didn't even give him any final goodbyes with the crew, just Tuvox doing the stupid dance thing.

Fathead

what's funny is that even though they tried to go for an emotional goodbye with everyone standing around, I felt nothing at all and they didn't even give him any final goodbyes with the crew, just Tuvox doing the stupid dance thing.

If they had Tuvok shoot Neelix in the head it would have been the best possible ending for Voyager.

I thought they were about to kill off the doctor, sevens reaction to his love confession was hilarious lol

Well I finally made it to the Endgame I'll watch it tomorrow

If they had Tuvok shoot Neelix in the head it would have been the best possible ending for Voyager.

lol that would have brought back a lot of good will towards the show

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still don't get how the Talaxians got that far into the Delta quadrant. Voyager is basically right at the edge of the Beta Quadrant when the final episode takes place and the war that would have forced this convoy out here happened when Neelix was a young man, and Talax is basically all the way at the edge of the Delta quadrant. 25 years at warp 9+.

Top Bottom