• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is outlook so crap?

Booser

I have a simple problem. My junk mail folder only displays junk from the previous month. I had emails sent there which I need to look at now, but I forgot to archive them at the time.

Now I have no fucking idea how to find them again. Every "view older messages" help topic I've seen just shows me how to recover deleted messages. I can't see anything to simply let me look at junk older than a month.

Plus the Outlook Office app for windows 10 is bloated rubbish.

cjp

Pretty sure junk is only kept for 30 days.

Also pretty sure that's mostly a universal rule for all email providers.

Booser

No way to recover them then? I made a bunch of hotel bookings and I'm missing some in my archive folder. I've obviously missed some which I need to get back.

Outlook is like one of the best Windows apps, including the office suite as a whole.

This issue sounds like its more of a user operational issue than a software issue. However, it would be nice if Outlook gave the user the option of entering the amount of days to keep junk emails, if they haven't done so already.

By default, Junk is automatically deleted after 30 days.

It's not Outlook's fault that you don't look at the Junk folder at least once a month, or that you didn't change the settings if you wanted to keep your Junk.

I don't know of any email provider today which automatically saves stuff sent to Junk instead of just deleting it. Most of them automatically delete your Junk after just 14 days, so 30 days is actually longer than average.

I don't even know why you would be looking for something that was sent to Junk, that you know is in Junk, and that was important enough that it should have been moved to somewhere that isn't Junk but you didn't do that.

If all Junk were kept indefinitely by default in apps and email services, the amount of calls to support lines would skyrocket because storage would be running out on local machines and services for those who don't know how to manage this kind of thing.

Kite

OP This is your own fuckup, why are you keeping important emails in your junk folder lolol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah man, outlook is dope.

You should ping the hotel websites. Also, pay for TripIt Pro for travel stuff. It'll alert you to missing hotels or missing travel info in an itinerary.

I know the horse is out of the barn on this, but it is a lifesaver.

Booser

Oh I know its my own fuck up, just frustrating there is no setting to change this.

By default every email not in my contacts goes to junk. When I make a lot of bookings I sometimes miss one.

I'm pretty sure I found where I booked by looking at my browser history, so I've just emailed them to confirm.

God I'm a wanker.

Top Bottom