• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet
Critical Hit is built on the idea that we are more than one thing. Are you a hardcore gamer who also enjoys a night out at the movies?

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

I think it might be best if we just wait for the embargo to drop and sites like Vulture, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, NYTimes, AVClub, FilmFreak, Atlantic, New Yorker, Slate, etc. to start dropping their pieces.

VanWinkle

Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet
Critical Hit is built on the idea that we are more than one thing. Are you a hardcore gamer who also enjoys a night out at the movies?

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

I think it might be best if we just wait for the embargo to drop and sites like Vulture, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, NYTimes, AVClub, FilmFreak, Atlantic, New Yorker, Slate, etc. to start dropping their pieces.

Haha, yeah.

Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

Can't wait for the IGN review.

Ashhong

Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

Love how they use hardcore gamers as some kind of foil to going out to the movies

Ninjimbo

Some months earlier
I stand by that because making a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy is a feat of filmmaking: bigger team, bigger production, more ambitious and larger stakes. And I think Guardians succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's supposed to be an adventure story set in a fantasy land with charming characters and nothing more. Just the amount of effort it takes to animate that damn Raccoon and make him believeable is an accomplishment.

I watched Moonlight and, while I respect it, it's a movie that ultimately didn't leave a mark on me. I feel like I've seen stronger efforts in that style from people like Wong Kar Wai. I would discuss my thoughts of it at length, but not in this thread. If you want me to take the discussion into PM's, then I'm down.

But I don't feel like I've said anything outlandish. Making good movies is hard as hell.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I stand by that because making a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy is a feat of filmmaking: bigger team, bigger production, more ambitious and larger stakes. And I think Guardians succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's supposed to be an adventure story set in a fantasy land with charming characters and nothing more. Just the amount of effort it takes to animate that damn Raccoon and make him believeable is an accomplishment.

I watched Moonlight and, while I respect it, it's a movie that ultimately didn't leave a mark on me. I feel like I've seen stronger efforts in that style from people like Wong Kar Wai. I would discuss my thoughts of it at length, but not in this thread. If you want me to take the discussion into PM's, then I'm down.
Fair enough. Yeah, this seems to be a matter of differing perespectives on what constitutes as a better film, in this case - between people like me and you - it's a matter of the tools and the effort to garner them and creating something vs. the execution and the effort of how it elicits a response. And at times, I've even shared the former viewpoint (see my opinion on how Prometheus isn't totally shit). But as you said, this is a matter of discussion that's worth its own thread in itself.

This statement though?
I watched Moonlight and, while I respect it, it's a movie that ultimately didn't leave a mark on me. I feel like I've seen stronger efforts in that style from people like Wong Kar Wai.
absolutely_right_zoolander.gif

I do? What else do I know? I mentioned Bleepey because it's the only one I remember. I definitely don't remember anyone comparing it to Moonlight

I obviously don't mean exactly comparing it to Moonlight, but certainly praising it as a masterpiece of a film the likes of which we just can't appreciate yet. (Both on and off here, which I did specify).

You get weirdos like that in every bunch. I was just saying, don't label that an MCU thing lol

This will make people come out of the theater crying that they can't go to Themascara.

Fuck allat, Wakanda>>>>>

hiredhand

How many GAF members get to go to Cannes? Those are basically a lot of films where all we can say is "yep. Looks good" for the next few months. And that's ignoring the audience size differences between art films and blockbusters.
The first argument doesn't really work considering most superhero films will have tens of pages of discussion before they even start shooting.

I think its mostly about mainstream vs. arthouse cinema and superheros being very popular among gamers.

MartyStu

Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

Can't forget the national review. I am excited for that one the most.

The first argument doesn't really work considering most superhero films will have tens of pages of discussion before they even start shooting.

I think its mostly about mainstream vs. arthouse cinema and superheros being very popular among gamers.
Superhero films also have so much more exposure. Announcements for when they cast actors, hire directors/writers, when they start production etc. Then you have the big marketing blitz that begins with teasers of teasers, trailers and then promotional stuff plastered everywhere. Whole different beast compared to films screened at Cannes.

Also, nerds really like superheroes.

The difference is everyone knows they'll be able to see the blockbuster movie when it releases and not have to search it out moths down the track in the few cinemas showing it. It's hard to get excited about something you're not sure you'll actually get to see (or at best months down the line on DVD).

As to the second part let's face it, superhero movies are popular amongst pretty much every group. It's not just gamers choosing to watch superhero movies over Arthouse movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom