• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PlayStation Plus price increasing to £49.99 / year from 31st August 2017

maxmars

I don't know. All I've been playing on my PS4 this year is Titanfall, R6 Siege and Destiny. On one hand I NEED PS+ for those, on the other hand, I could just play multiplayer games on my Switch and catch up with all the single player goodness I haven't had the time to play (namely Witcher 3, Horizon and FF).

Vuze

Ridiculous. It will be hard waiting out the MH World PC release but I'm not paying for Sonys shit service on PS4 (fairly sure we'll see another price increase by the time it hits anyway lmao).
Perhaps I'll buy a retail PS4 copy, activate my trial sub and hope the PC release is just one month away then sell it off.

Well, you know. It's the same as Xbox Live. That's probably where their reasoning is coming from. They're in the money-making business after all. Besides, I don't think I've ever payed more than 30 euros for a year anyway.

Always sucks though, having to pay more. Definitely gonna have to let it lapse until they put it on sale again.

v1oz

What am I actually paying for when I get PlayStation Plus? I just don't see the point. The monthly selection of games is usually shyte indie titles too. Why can they do games like previous year's COD, Assassin's Creed and FIFA?

jelly

Well, you know. It's the same as Xbox Live. That's probably where their reasoning is coming from. They're in the money-making business after all. Besides, I don't think I've ever payed more than 30 euros for a year anyway.

Always sucks though, having to pay more. Definitely gonna have to let it lapse until they put it on sale again.

Isn't Xbox Live £39.99.

Arion

I would be ok with this if the quality of the monthly games was consistently better but it really isn't. I might just move back to pc gaming in the next year.

Cartho

My internet (and many other people's across the UK) is not good enough for PSNow, so it still wouldn't make the price hike justifiable.

This. ^

Streaming games is VERY different to streaming films. It requires wildly more bandwidth, which simply isn't there for the majority of people. This is why, no matter how much Sony and their apologists try to defend it, PS Now is a terrible way of allowing people to play older games. Proper b/c is the way forward. When it comes to a "games on demand" type system, Xbox game pass is also WILDLY better as Microsoft have clearly realised that streaming games is a shit idea and the best way is to allow people to download games to their system.

Fuck PS Now.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Lol PS Now isn't going to be included with PS Plus unless they increase the yearly Plus sub by about another £100.

HOWEVER.

It is possible and would be a very good idea, that they add certain PS Now games to be playable for free during the month. You're not getting the entire sub in one insanely cheap package, but Sony could very well offer select PS Now games each month to be streamed for free with your Plus subscription. This would be a fantastic idea.

My internet (and many other people's across the UK) is not good enough for PSNow, so it still wouldn't make the price hike justifiable.

Lol PS Now isn't going to be included with PS Plus unless they increase the yearly Plus sub by about another £100.

HOWEVER.

It is possible and would be a very good idea, that they add certain PS Now games to be playable for free during the month. You're not getting the entire sub in one insanely cheap package, but Sony could very well offer select PS Now games each month to be streamed for free with your Plus subscription. This would be a fantastic idea.

Still a terrible idea, as per my own quote.

HOWEVER.

This is what will most likely happen. That said, it still doesn't justify the price increase since most of us won't have good enough speeds to have a good experience.

This is disgusting. PSN is still catching up to XBL, how does Sony justify its price increase?
They justify it by being the market leader and seeing the data that suggests that the percentage of people who leave he service will be more than offset by those that stay on.

This is what corporations do. They don't need any other reasoning.

This is what will most likely happen. That said, it still doesn't justify the price increase since most of us won't have good enough speeds to have a good experience.

But wouldn't this be a personal problem? This would still be considered adding more value to the service regardless if you can stream it or not. I'm not saying PS NOW is amazing but if instead it's not a separate sub on top of your current sub for PS+ but is now included in your Yearly or monthly sub, it basically pays for itself. Whether you can use it or not is down to your connection speed but that has nothing to with whether Sony shouldn't consider it because it will be a much better value proposition to those who can.

That's like faulting Amazon for adding Fresh into the overall prime service instead of keeping it a separate sub just because UPS in your area doesn't deliver on time.

Zafir

I'm annoyed I didn't purchase a PS+ code from amazon prime the other week when they were doing a steep discount.

I didn't bother since my sub doesn't expire until late 2018.

Nope. We've been here before.

Sony isn't planning on doing us any favours, because they'd make damn sure we'd know about it for the rise. Instead it's just "price going up 25% lol".

For the record, I don't give a shit about PS Now either.

Yup, it would be advertised as a new feature coming to PS+ members, and oh by the way, we're increasing the price.

It's not going to happen and even if it does, like you, many won't give a shit.

With regard to existing users the loss/gain will balance out, I'm sure. And if it doesn't prove a barrier to new subscribers for PS Plus then it's win-win for Sony.

Going into a new gen where online-only games will only increase in number, with a significantly more expensive online option seems like it may be harmful though. Especially if the hardware specs and price are more balanced next time around.

Instead of putting the price up they should stop giving away crap PS3 and Vita games.
Why? That's a value add for plenty of people. I don't think if those offerings disappeared that the price increase wouldn't exist. It would just be less appealing to more people.

Syrus

Banned
This is bloody sshitty and hilarious. For the players!

Xbox live hasnt gone up in forever. That said I usuakky get it fof 35 to 40

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe how people just accept paying to play online, it's the best scam ever. There's times I want to jump into a game of UC4 multiplayer but I never do because of the sub.

dan2026

Ah this has just given me the reason I need to not renew.

It's not worth it at all anymore.

Also why just EU and Australia?
America and Japan not getting fucked I see.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Extended for 3 more months for Destiny but that's it. Unless they show an improvement i'll happily play single player only games. Not like I'm missing out on Free Vita and old games.

Well, can't say I'm too surprised, given they ratcheted up the price in US and Canada. Was only a matter of time before they did this to Europe/Australia.

Especially hilarious when improvements to the PS Plus service had become miniscule, and Sony actively refusing stuff other platforms are doing --mod support, crossplay, etc.-- in defiance of what their player base wants. So they're giving an inch, yet taking a mile.

Hubristic Sony doth recoil.

I blame emoji movie for this.

That would actually be hilariously sad if the movie division was the reason behind these price hikes.

Z O N E

If this is true then it's bad for the US customers more so than others... Now you ask me why.

I've read a lot that ISPs in USA have started giving even more data caps and when you include streaming games to the list compared to everything else you do, that's going to add up...

In the UK, that would be fine since we have real unlimited data usage.

But either way, if this is true, they shouldn't be forcing a service on you... Me for example, I don't want PS Now and have no plans on ever getting that service.

Top Bottom