• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are there so many punisher mechanics in this set

Yeef

In the article it explains that it was originally a mechanic (torment), but it was too good to have on so many cards, so they just cut it back to this vertical cycle.

I don't know why but these are just so fucking hilarious to me:

DC603F2V0AA4s9a.jpg
DC603-2UAAIu9d0.jpg
DC605KSUwAAopzL.png

Urza is written that way even in comparison to the other oldwalkers, though. He's constantly having ridiculous ultra-long-term plans pay off even when it makes no sense either to make the plan that way or for it to actually work.

I think you're over exaggerating. He wasn't really a constant churn of super plans. He was Brother's War, Urza's Saga, then background character, then Invasion. Invasion was long term plots paying off on all sides, but it was practically all confined to Invasion. Which, when boiled down to it, Invasion was just a Jojo back and forth between Urza and Yawgmoth. There's a lot to dislike about the Invasion storyline, but for what it was I enjoyed it. Disliking Invasion Urza is completely reasonable, but that character was the way he was with purpose inside the story, at the very least. Really Urza then isn't much different from Bolas now.

The notion that Urza was somehow the most powerful planeswalker ever has always been odd to me because he wasn't particularly more powerful than any of the other oldwalkers, and was subdued by them on a handful of occasions. He could just make artifacts real good. And even then it was mostly re-purposed Phyrexian tech.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Farm to Market shows they are already running out of naming ideas somehow for aftermath. Also I don't think it's a StP callback but that would make it even more flavor garbage.

OnPoint

Farm to Market shows they are already running out of naming ideas somehow for aftermath. Also I don't think it's a StP callback but that would make it even more flavor garbage.
Its white agricultural based creature removal.

Come on. What else could they have meant

Would you guys be open to less strict naming conventions with split cards? Instead of using actual phrases, it could use names like "Bolas's Punch // Gideon's Kick".

With that Torment of Hailfire, can you choose to Discard and then just discard your hand if the X exceeds the number of cards in your hand?
No, it says to repeat the entire process X times, so you can't just say you'll discard X cards when you have less than that. After you discard the N cards you have, you no longer have the option to discard.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Would you guys be open to less strict naming conventions with split cards? Instead of using actual phrases, it could use names like "Bolas's Punch // Gideon's Kick".

I think you're missing an opportunity:

Bolas's Punch // Gideon's Balls

I mean, the joke idea for Farm To Market would be Farm (having art of an escapee being detained by a mummy as they try to hide from Bolas) to Market(having that same refugee being given back to Bolas by a dedicated worshiper in exchange for something). However, that fits more in the WB Aftermath, not WU.

Farm 1W

Instant

Destroy target Attacking or Blocking Creature. It's controller gains X life, where X is that creature's CMC.

//

Market 3BB

Sorcery

Choose Target Creature in a graveyard. You may pay X life, where X is that creature's CMC. If you do, put that creature into play under your control.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A card named "Farm" that isn't just Swords to Plowshares sucks.

No, it says to repeat the entire process X times, so you can't just say you'll discard X cards when you have less than that. After you discard the N cards you have, you no longer have the option to discard.

Oh, that's true. I have a friend who is already in love with this thing lol. I already see it on the stack in my future.

A card named "Farm" that isn't just Swords to Plowshares sucks.

Just glad it's not called "Plow".

Plow // Plate

Plate could be like Feast of the Unicorn 😬

Ei27ryYC.png
en_8p06nQyKU4.png

Resilient Khenra
1G
Creature – Jackal Wizard
2/2
When Resilient Khenra enters the battlefield, you may have target creature get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Resilient Khenra's power.
Eternalize 4GG

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Resilient fellow needs either flash or haste to be remotely worth being a rare. I am a lifelong fan if green ever since I cobbled my first stompy deck together in 97 and put a whoopin on all my friends...But that card is just underwhelming and dull.

I assume there's no flash embalm/eternalize creature because it either confused people in testing or they never even attempted it as embalm/eternalize say sorcery speed in the reminder text.

Hmm, really? You can respond to the ETB trigger, though, no?

Could be right, obvs. Would assume you could crew and target the animated Vehicle.
The issue is when you place a trigger on the stack you have to set appropriate targets already and there is no timeframe between a creature with an ETB trigger being in play but before you have to put the trigger on the stack.

The issue is when you place a trigger on the stack you have to set appropriate targets already and there is no timeframe between a creature with an ETB trigger being in play but before you have to put the trigger on the stack.

I see- yeah, reading more about that now since I think I have been playing similar effects wrong. Interesting. Too bad, but glad I now know, thanks! :)

It'd only work if you have a trigger that determines the target when it resolves.
For instance you could animate a vehicle in response to a bolster trigger.

Important wording difference is "choose" over "target" to see what is what.

Hero

I guess I can reluctantly forgive Maro for saying Urza is green if he's also willing to say shit like this:

Although I really hated how the storyline ended (and I can't wait for him to explain the full story of what happened with what him and the other guy wanted to write vs what they had to do) but Urza was full blown villain. I mean the Brothers War was kind of like "whoa, dude, going a little overboard, don't you think?" and then when we got to Urza's Legacy and he destroyed Serra's Realm, it was like "Yup, Urza is a fucking asshole."

Crocodile

Ei27ryYC.png
en_8p06nQyKU4.png

Resilient Khenra
1G
Creature – Jackal Wizard
2/2
When Resilient Khenra enters the battlefield, you may have target creature get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Resilient Khenra's power.
Eternalize 4GG

This needed to have/give trample for me to give it the thumbs up. It's annoying because I'd really like the card otherwise.

Angry Grimace

This needed to have/give trample for me to give it the thumbs up. It's annoying because I'd really like the card otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if they thought you would play the card with Rhonas and this card would be stupid good with Rhonas if you could buff and give him trample twice.

Don't we...already know Urza's color because they made a card that was Urza and it's mono blue?

9vbk203.png

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I guess I can reluctantly forgive Maro for saying Urza is green if he's also willing to say shit like this:

I mean yeah, I don't see how that's even a debate. Urza was a manipulative selfish asshole who let or led real heroes to their deaths all for his own goals. He helped set in motion things that saved the world, but at the expense of countless lives and not for heroism but rather for his own selfish desires. If they bring him back I could definitely see him being the antagonist of the story.

I am one of the seemingly few who really like magic lore, including the gatewatch stuff, so I'm biased but I do hope the bring him back.

Considering what a selfish dick he was, his planewalker abilities should be something like

0: sacrifice a creature: put two tokens on urza
-4: exile target planeswalker, search your opponents library, hand, and graveyard for any card with the same name as exiled planeswalker and exile those cards.
-8: take out your dick and tit and slap your opponents with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom