• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

syfodyas

Banned
painey said:
yeah no component till the 22nd, thats why i ordered from asia

The RGB scart cable has been delayed too, which means everyone in Europe will have to use composite for the first 2 weeks of launch.

syfodyas

Banned
marc^o^ said:

I can vouch that this info is correct.
GAME have told pre order customers that the cables have been delayed until 22nd.
PLAY.COM have removed the cables from their site and have informed pre order customers that although orders remain open, the cables are 'not available for 8th dec' due to the manufacturer.

In fact Nintendo have diverted all Component cables originally bound for europe (for the 8th dec launch) to the USA in order to deal with 'demand' there

syfodyas

Banned
slaughterking said:
Are you sure about that?

Yes, but only until 15th December.
The component cables have been delayed until 22nd December - what concerns me about this is how close it is to christmas day.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
syfodyas said:
The component cables have been delayed until 22nd December - what concerns me about this is how close it is to christmas day.
omgwtf

CorwinB

marc^o^ said:
Both cables are still listed for the 8th on Scoregames' website.

Same on Micromania. Preordered some "YUK" cable from them yesterday. Unless "Yuk" is what you say when you plug the composite cable. :)

Apparently in Europe they will be packaged with crack/cocaine.

eurowii.jpg

Yeah they're probably just manuals or whatever, but that wouldn't be funny to say ;p

dak1dsk1

Banned
syfodyas said:
The RGB scart cable has been delayed too, which means everyone in Europe will have to use composite for the first 2 weeks of launch.
source? EBgames guaranteed me it would be there for launch! Doesn't really matter to me though, as I'm holding out for a third party cable...

Wes

venison crêpe
Oxford street is going to be so damned crowded. I hope my faith in Amazon has not been misplaced.

painey

doesnt the tube stop running shortly after midnight? Seems strange to have a big one in london if thats the case

I'm not sure whether to head down to GAME or HMV for the launch. Both are Oxford Street, and I won't be buying a Wii... just going down to attend.
After HMV's utter CRAP stuff for the London Games Festival their event holding skill is questionable, and it seems like a random celebathon: whist the GAME one seems to be "hey nintendo fans we got some stuff come down it'll be cool"

meppi

CorwinB said:
Same on Micromania. Preordered some "YUK" cable from them yesterday. Unless "Yuk" is what you say when you plug the composite cable. :)

Yeah, it's the same in gamemania and on playerone. Both cables still have the original date.

I'll just wait and see what pops up in a week.

maxmars

dak1dsk1 said:
source? EBgames guaranteed me it would be there for launch! Doesn't really matter to me though, as I'm holding out for a third party cable...

EB Games also told me so, we'll see. I can do fine without them for a week, however (from dec 8 to dec 15).

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
So having been ****ed over by Play.com, I'm considering hitting one of the London midnight launches. Considering this will be my first, I have a probably rather obvious question, but do you need a preorder for these things or not if you're going?

Great King Bowser said:
So having been ****ed over by Play.com, I'm considering hitting one of the London midnight launches. Considering this will be my first, I have a probably rather obvious question, but do you need a preorder for these things or not if you're going?
...What midnight launches?

Samuray

When asked, Nintendo of Germany stated that component cables would definitely be out on Dec 8. I wonder why there is contradicting info?

Great King Bowser said:

You'll absolutely need a pre-order.

Great King Bowser said:
Well that's lame. I thought in America these midnight launches were for people who were willing to show up without a preorder? Not the same over here?

It's lame to know that you don't need to camp for days and that you're guaranteed a unit? Yeah, that is pretty lame.
The midnight launches are just a way to get it as early as possible, and usually there's some sort of incentive, like the Twilight Princess tin you get at the HMV one.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Yeah it is pretty lame. If you've got a preorder I fail to see the point in attending a midnight launch just to get it a few hours earlier.

Midnight launches should be saved for the infidels without preorders, forced to face the harsh weather as punishment.

Great King Bowser said:
Yeah it is pretty lame. If you've got a preorder I fail to see the point in attending a midnight launch just to get it a few hours earlier.

Well it's not a case of queuing for hours, getting it at twelve then going home, they've got stuff organised from 11pm onwards and if you've got a preorder you can just turn up whenever and pick it up. Also: you get a limted edition Twilight Princess. IN A TIN.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
:(

Any idea if they're still taking preorders? If so, can I preorder then hit the midnight launch and bypass my place in the 'preorder queue'? :lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Great King Bowser said:
:(

Any idea if they're still taking preorders? If so, can I preorder then hit the midnight launch and bypass my place in the 'preorder queue'? :lol

I doubt anyone anywhere ever is taking anymore Dec 8th pre-orders.

I stupidly placed my faith in Amazon.co.uk and just cringed everytime GAME, Play, Wollies, HMV extra sold out.

LUCKILY, I gots me one, so heres hoping eh! Pitty I have to goto college on Dec 8th, might check out GAME, see if anyone is sobbing on the floor.

Roi

MrSardonic said:
I'm importing my controllers from the US if the price difference is that large...it worked with the platinum wavebird (not sure that was ever even released in the UK). And if they work, I will also import my Wii points from the US because Europe is getting raped on the Virtual Console front.

WHAT THE ****!

WHAT THE ****!

Nintendo's VC is ridiculously overpriced for these old games. It's extremely disappointing and I hope the VC doesn't see as much success as XBLA or Sony's VC because Nintendo need to drop the prices. I dread to think how much microtransactions and new VC games are going to cost

reggie_shrug.jpg

I just found that Im 2 places too far down the list to get my wii :'(
Now I need to find out where is going to have it that isnt preordering

Aurora

Wrestlemania said:
You'll absolutely need a pre-order.
Objection.
Your statement clearly contradicts the piece of evidence below:

Nintendo Europe said:
Those getting there early enough in the queue will be lucky enough to get their hands on their very own Wii consoles, games and goodie bags just in time for Christmas. Stocks are limited so get there early to avoid disappointment.

The evidence clearly implies that the HMV midnight launch works on a first-come-first-served basis and hence a pre-order is not required providing you are early enough in the queue.

maxmars

Just keep your eyes on Italy, there the Wii will be out on the 7th, so you can guestimate if you need to camp early or not for the day after.

I will let you know how it went. :D

Xavien

syfodyas said:

The RGB cables on gameplay still have 8th December, i have rung them up and they have confirmed that ill be getting one on the 8th.

BS, perhaps?

Wes

venison crêpe
maxmars said:
Just keep your eyes on Italy, there the Wii will be out on the 7th, so you can guestimate if you need to camp early or not for the day after.

I will let you know how it went. :D

If you make it back in one piece.

guise

I wrote to Nintendo (complaining about multiple faulty DS lites) but I threw in a question about the delay on component cables... we'll see what Nintendo UK have to say on the matter.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Aurora said:
Objection.
Your statement clearly contradicts the piece of evidence below:

The evidence clearly implies that the HMV midnight launch works on a first-come-first-served basis and hence a pre-order is not required providing you are early enough in the queue.

Interesting...

maxmars

Wes said:
If you make it back in one piece.

Well that should not be much of a problem, I currently look almost like a character from an xbox 360 game. :lol (I don't have the cool weapons though)

I expect people in line to be either "soccer moms" or actual kids, either category should not pose big problems.

Also, I have reserved a wii kit in september, paid in full, so I plan to hit the shop, pick the package & get back immediately.

Aurora said:

It directly contradicts the phonecall I received from HMV who said that my preorder was absolutely guaranteed no matter what place I was in line, but it might be that they've got an allocation just for the night for people willing to queue.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Oh crap. My pre-order friend just told me that he's nubmer 22 in the pre-order line and they're only getting 18.

My fall-back plan is dead! agasglkhasg!

fresquito

I just asked in worldwide launch thread; does anyone know if the 5000 points card+classic controller deal is happening in Europe?

Danj

wind_steaker said:
so does anyone know the good stores to queue up at in the uk if you dont have a preorder?

Supermarkets I would imagine, since they don't do preorders. E.G. Asda, Sainsburys, Tesco.

Top Bottom