• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I'm very familiar with those 3 plus most boredoms side projects.: (
ah, well, that's about my extent of knowledge with noisy japanese music. :p If you want something truly terrifying I guess you could try MC Hellshit and DJ Carhouse lol.

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions for more japanese music if I'm really in to Boris, Melt Banana, Merpeoples, Akai Ko-en, World's End Girlfriend, Hyacca, Kiiiiiii, Merzbow, Masonna, Chiina and so on and so forth?

Keiji Haino, Fushitsusha, Ruins

vulva

I'll have to check out MC Hellshit and DJ Carhouse to see what they're about. Same goes for Fushitsusha.

I've actually seen Haino before, which was super cool. Ruins are great as well

I've actually seen Haino before, which was super cool.

Lucky, lucky.

For Fushitsusha, I recommend starting with the two double live albums (PSF3/4 and PSF15/16).

You may also want to check out Li Jianhong. Obviously he's not Japanese, but his music is heavily influenced by Haino's solo guitar work.

vulva

J-GAF, help needed. I really want to order the new Akai Ko-en album but have no idea how. I only have paypal, no credit card. The album is called "透明なのか黒なのか" and is on the amazon jp website. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B006J9XMMY/

My question is if anyone here knows of another website, preferably that takes paypal, that I could find this album on and ship to north america? If all else fails, I'd be willing to paypal someone on here to order it for me and ship it my way/cover costs if that's possible?

Thank you so very much.

Zoe

J-GAF, help needed. I really want to order the new Akai Ko-en album but have no idea how. I only have paypal, no credit card. The album is called "透明なのか黒なのか" and is on the amazon jp website. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B006J9XMMY/

My question is if anyone here knows of another website, preferably that takes paypal, that I could find this album on and ship to north america? If all else fails, I'd be willing to paypal someone on here to order it for me and ship it my way/cover costs if that's possible?

Thank you so very much.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TOCT-28036

vulva

I saw Merzbow in the summer and it was unreal. How would you say it compares to something like The Gerogerigegege or Masonna?

vulva

I'll check it out in a sec. Finally found something off the new akai ko-en to listen to, so I'm on my 5th listen in a row :x These girls are the most I've been excited about a new band in a long time.

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions for more japanese music if I'm really in to Boris, Melt Banana, Merpeoples, Akai Ko-en, World's End Girlfriend, Hyacca, Kiiiiiii, Merzbow, Masonna, Chiina and so on and so forth?

If you like Melt Banana and Boris, You might enjoy the indie rock side of things. Check out Zazen Boys, Number Girl, Bloodthirsty Butchers, Bleach03, Super Junky Monkey, Mass of the Fermented Dregs, Ogre You Asshole!, Toe, Luminous Orange, Mo'some Tonebender, Sparta Locals, Ging Nang Boyz, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, and Suseinoboaz to name a few.

vulva

If you like Melt Banana and Boris, You might enjoy the indie rock side of things. Check out Zazen Boys, Number Girl, Bloodthirsty Butchers, Bleach03, Super Junky Monkey, Mass of the Fermented Dregs, Ogre You Asshole!, Toe, Luminous Orange, Mo'some Tonebender, Sparta Locals, Ging Nang Boyz, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, and Suseinoboaz to name a few.

That's almost too many! Could you take maybe 3 of those bands and suggest a specific album?

Also, in case anyone's interested, this is akai ko-en. Their major label debut is in 2 weeks, which was the album I was asking about earlier. They're mainly a shoegaze band but aren't too limited in their style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWkIjlGNsY

So SteroPony is playing at sakuracon in Seattle this year should be awsome. Also HEAD PHONES PRESIDENT are suppose to tour the us after their MTAC Omega(anime con in TN ) show.

Also im enjoying akai ko-en , think ill check out their album when it comes out in 2 weeks, thanks, vulva

That's almost too many! Could you take maybe 3 of those bands and suggest a specific album?

Also, in case anyone's interested, this is akai ko-en. Their major label debut is in 2 weeks, which was the album I was asking about earlier. They're mainly a shoegaze band but aren't too limited in their style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWkIjlGNsY

Certainly.

Some of my favorite albums:
Number Girl - Num Heavy Metallic
Zazen Boys - Zazen Boys II
Ging Nang Boyz- Door
Sparta Locals - Second Fanfare

Check these out too:
Super Junky Monkey - Screw Up
Bloodthirsty Butchers - Koccorono
Luminous Orange - Drop You Vivid Colors
Mass of the Fermented Dregs - World Is Yours

You can Actually just look up all of this stuff on YouTube. I would just listen to more than one song of each band, cause with some of these groups, the variety in styles and so forth (even on the same album) is actually pretty wide. On the whole though, a lot of it has elements of math rock, shoegaze, post punk, etc.

Anyone going to the L'arc~en~ciel world tour? Specifically the NYC one? :)
I am! I'm thinking of cosplaying Heavenly-era Hyde, too. Their newer stuff doesn't stick with me as much anymore, but I still like them, especially their older songs. Their Baltimore concert was my first rock concert, in fact.

Getting psyched!

I'm not sure how many Go!Go!7188 fans are on this forum, but Yuu decided to walk away from the band and that's lead to them disbanding. She pretty much said that she didn't think that there was anything else that she could do for the band.

Sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5QzDPqMk

I personally thought it was all kinda downhill after Gyoutaku... Last album I listened to was Parade and it was... pretty meh. I'm more let down by TJ calling it quits, though if that means that Shiina can go back to being a solo artist, I guess I'm alright with it.

Persona7

Banned
I have been going through this thread and damn, 90% of the songs I click on were deleted due to copyright claims on youtube.

Darkkn

Is there a place that sells Japanese music digitally? I've recently discovered and really been digging YUI, but i can't find a legit way of enjoying her music. I don't want physical CD's because they are useless and really expensive from places like cdjapan.

One would think that everyone would put their music out there for people to buy and enjoy in this day and age, but apparently not in Japan?

Deeku

Is there a place that sells Japanese music digitally? I've recently discovered and really been digging YUI, but i can't find a legit way of enjoying her music. I don't want physical CD's because they are useless and really expensive from places like cdjapan.

One would think that everyone would put their music out there for people to buy and enjoy in this day and age, but apparently not in Japan?
You can try buying on itunes jp store. You will need to find an online place that sells jp itunes cards since you can't access the jp store with a foreign credit card. (i think)

I'm sure someone else can give you better info. I'm more a physical cd person myself:p

Yeah, only way I know is through itunes as well..

-------------

So, recently I saw SEX MACHINEGUNS~ it was amazing as usual. They are touring with The Kanmuri and it was the first time I heard about him... Amazing show and great crowd.

You can make many strange gifs out of this PV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmTyp-aC_go

He was hilarious and has great facial expressions. Kind of like comedy meets heavy metal.

Since then I've been searching for more Japanese metal and came across this (which I love)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCIQb8V-jAE

MattJon

YUI is on Sony so her albums don't appear on iTunes. I'd still recommend buying the Overseas versions of her albums from Play Asia and the like, or eBay. They're around 1/3 the price of the Japanese editions, and at least then you could rip them to the quality you want.

CDJapan shipped my copy of m-flo's new album today. Painfully excited, 5 years is a lifetime ago since Cosmicolor.

Max

I am not Max
Perfume_JPN.jpg

scogoth

YUI is on Sony so her albums don't appear on iTunes. I'd still recommend buying the Overseas versions of her albums from Play Asia and the like, or eBay. They're around 1/3 the price of the Japanese editions, and at least then you could rip them to the quality you want.

CDJapan shipped my copy of m-flo's new album today. Painfully excited, 5 years is a lifetime ago since Cosmicolor.

I though it wasn't out till the 14th?

scogoth

New Album - Somewhere Out There

On March 7th 2012, MONKEY MAJIK released their 7th original studio album "Somewhere Out There", largely built around their emotion and experience of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake and Tsunami that hit their hometown one year ago. Since the disaster, they've been working hard with the community to rebuild through volunteer work, and only in recent months have they picked up their musical work, releasing two moving singles in the process.

The album is available as a CD and CD+DVD option, including 11 tracks and live footage from their 2010 tour celebrating the band's 10th anniversary. It's been around 13 months since their previous album.

Tracklist:
01 Headlight
02 Black Hole
03 ホワイトデイズ (WHITE DAYS)
04 U.F.O
05 Go with U
06 RAIN
07 足跡 (ASHIATO)
08 My Home Town
09 トビラ (TOBIRA)
10 HERO
11 木を植えた男 (KI WO UETA OTOKO)

DVD: MONKEY MAJIK BEST ALBUM TOUR 2010 ~10Years&Forever~ at Tokyo C.C. Lemon Hall (Live Footage)

Youtube Links

About the Band

Like many expatriates in Japan, Maynard first came to his adopted country to teach English. The Canadian formed Monkey Majik in 2000, although it wasn't until the radio-friendly single "Fly" was released in 2006 that Maynard's multinational four-piece graduated beyond that city's local club scene. Monkey Majik is one of several bands based in Japan with foreign members among their number finding commercial success — others include "hip-pop" duo Def Tech, one of Japan's biggest selling acts of the mid 2000s, and the less-established pop-folk group Overground Acoustic Underground.

Maynard (vocals/guitar) first arrived in Japan in 1997, swapping his native Ottawa for the equally chilly climes of Aomori Prefecture in northern Japan. By 2000, Maynard had formed Monkey Majik, relocating to Sendai City slightly further south. Blaise (vocals/guitar) followed his elder brother there, joining the band with Japanese native Tax on drums. Bassist Dick joined in 2005.

Monkey Majik's infectious college rock and playful raps soon earned the band a local following, their independently released debut Tired selling a creditable 1,000 copies and topping the Tower Records Sendai chart. It was the first of several small-scale indie releases (collected on a compilation "Best 2000-2005," which topped the national Oricon indies chart) before Monkey Majik signed to the Avex imprint for their third full-length, Thank You. The album's feel-good, acoustic hip-hop grooves sent the album into the Top Five upon its May 2006 release. Its success owed much to its lead single "Fly," which became a big radio hit, and the even catchier "Around the World," the distinctive video which was played in heavy rotation on Japan's music channels, helping that song, too, into the Top Five.

MattJon

I though it wasn't out till the 14th?

That's right. CDJapan ship as soon as they receive their stock though. Things usually arrive for Japanese release date.

I'm still mourning the loss of HMV Shibuya. I went back a few months ago and a Forever 21 in it's place just isn't the same. Tower and Tsutaya are still good enough, but the physical cd side of Japanese music is dying on it's arse these days, which eventually won't bode well for importing to other countries.

scogoth

That's right. CDJapan ship as soon as they receive their stock though. Things usually arrive for Japanese release date.

I'm still mourning the loss of HMV Shibuya. I went back a few months ago and a Forever 21 in it's place just isn't the same. Tower and Tsutaya are still good enough, but the physical cd side of Japanese music is dying on it's arse these days, which eventually won't bode well for importing to other countries.

Yeah I just got a japanes itunes account so I don't have to wait or deal with availability but apple has put there bullshit 90 day restriction when you switch accounts. I locked my iphone out of my normal account for 3 months by accident =(

Bgamer90

Banned
Use to be such a big fan of m-flo but their new hyper techno stuff is just terrible to me.

Miss when they had more of a hip-hop/soul sound.

Top Bottom