• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rien

Jelly Belly
In the Jeffries scene, it's a scorch mark caused by his teleportation.

The real question is why is the wallpaper missing in the woodsmen picture (except for a tiny bit of it visible between them)?

Edit: Never mind, I thought we saw the staircase fully wallpapered in part 15 but I was wrong.
It didnt? I remember it as well.

Steamlord

Just to be clear, I'm believe that Lynch/Frost put those scenes in there for the explicit purpose of being metacommentary, regardless of their role in plot. I think the point of them is to provide the metacommentary, although they might also have some significance to the whole deal with Audrey's son. But regardless of what we find out about their whole family situation, just mapping out "who's who" doesn't really serve a purpose in and of itself.

Eh. It's kind of fruitless to speculate about the creators' intentions, and honestly they're irrelevant anyway; the final product is all that matters, regardless of intent.

Ashby

Speaking of FWWM, has there been for you or do you expect there could yet be a scene this season that could top the ending scene of FWWM?

Just saw that Showtime have actually scheduled the whole series to play on Sho 1 starting at 4 AM on September 3rd.

So that makes my plans for that Sunday a lot easier.

Flipyap

Episode 8 was rather fantastic on that front though.

Pretty sure they used the budget where it mattered. Finaly should be fine.
Part 8 was stunning, but it didn't take place on that ugly new red room set. Given how likely it is that all of the red room scenes were shot on the same day... I dunno, I'd like to hope for the best, but I'm expecting another heartbreak.

g11

Sarah has always had something weird going on with her though at least. Seeing that white horse in her living room, and giving Major Briggs that message in the season 2 finale for example.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I still think the girl in Episode 8 was Sarah.

True and the girl from Ep. 8 could still totally be Sarah, I just take umbrage with jumping to the conclusion that she's been
possessed
the whole time. Maddie saw BOB and the white horse too IIRC, so that in itself doesn't prove much IMO.

EDIT: On another note, I dunno if it was here but I was reading theories that Mr. C may not be the total bad guy he comes off as. I don't buy it personally but it would be an interesting twist to see Lynch & Frost pull off. As terrible as he is, I can't help but like Mr. C. Obviously that changes if he did in fact rape Audrey.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Someone needs to grab Hawk by the collar and sit him down, and ask him what that fucking sign is below the moon on his map! He's the key to that mystery. It's obvious he knows what it is as he told Truman that he doesn't want to know about it. Come on!!!

Someone needs to grab Hawk by the collar and sit him down, and ask him what that fucking sign is below the moon on his map! He's the key to that mystery. It's obvious he knows what it is as he told Truman that he doesn't want to know about it. Come on!!!

Are you referring to the Frog Moth/The Experiment/Mother? Cause that's what that black symbol is...

That’s probably my favorite part of Fire Walk With Me. The music makes the scene.

https://youtu.be/jxlGtcW1Qg8

I've told this story so many times, so stop me if you've heard it before, but I first saw Fire Walk With Me on Sky Movies in the UK, and the version they aired didn't have the embedded subtitles.

I spent years trying to figure out what Laura was saying when she said "I am the muffin," not knowing that it was a reference to a deleted scene, and that it didn't make sense even in context as originally presented. When the shooting script got uploaded to the internet was when it finally all made sense.

Straining to try and hear the actors really felt like being in a night club in ways that no other scene set in one really captures (The Return is pretty good at this, though they don't push the music as high in the mix). I know it's meant to have subtitles, but I'm so glad I saw it without them when I first watched.

I'm not so glad that I saw all the red room / convenience store stuff without subtitles. People would talk about garmonbozia being pain and suffering in Wrapped in Plastic and online, and I never knew how the hell they knew that until I saw the subtitled version.

I don't know if this was posted along with that other theory, but I find this post about Audrey rather compelling (when it's coherent anyway).

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6vg3y5/s3e15_i_think_i_know_where_audrey_is/

It just might explain why the show keeps focusing on these random people and their conversations at the Roadhouse.

JcSakJY.gif

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sycamore Trees pretty much defines Twin Peaks for me. I'd love for it to pop up again in at some point in the remaining episodes of The Return. Even hearing it's motif pop back up in 'Heartbreaking' was thrilling.

I still don't hear it, is there a comparison video?

I don't know if this was posted along with that other theory, but I find this post about Audrey rather compelling (when it's coherent anyway).

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6vg3y5/s3e15_i_think_i_know_where_audrey_is/

It just might explain why the show keeps focusing on these random people and their conversations at the Roadhouse.

I subscribe to this theory now 100%. Meanwhile in Game of Thrones threads, I think Bran warging into inanimate objects is the dumbest theory ever.

Things from the trailers that we haven't seen yet:

- Cooper emerging from the darkness
- Cooper walking down a dark hallway with someone at his side
- Cooper driving at night
- Cooper standing next to someone outdoors
- Shaky shot of the convenience store staircase
- Andy with picnic basket in parking lot

I would never have guessed that this many trailer scenes would be from the final three episodes!

Speaking of that, it occurred to me that the convenience store might be traveling through time -- when it gets all stuttery and smoke billows out, that could be the store preparing to "jump". We do see it fade away in part 15. Maybe we saw it "arrive" in part 8? In which case the woodsmen and the whole "this is the water" broadcast could be an effort to change something in the past. But directed by who?

Another thought - the Jeffries kettle emits smoke. The convenience store emits smoke. Is that the same smoke? Does Jeffries control the convenience store and the woodsmen, or is he a prisoner there?
Electricity is the means by which spiritual beings travel, and according to Hawk or Margaret, electricity is the modern form of fire, which produces smoke. In that sense, I think smoke is just something that's associated with spiritual shenanigans.

Another way of looking at it is that both fire and electricity can burn things, and burning creates smoke.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ok the last page has me looping Pink Room remixes and Sax version of Fire Walk With Me. THANKS A LOT GAF.

I love you GAF.

Jokab

I really like this reddit post from the Sarah Palmer theory thread:

This is an extraordinary theory. It hints at the ultimate horror: a Mother wanting her child to be inside her again. An aberrant return to the womb.
It mirrors Sarah's own desire to be with her daughter again--though without the creepy womb-like fantasies.
There's some horrifying poetry in the fact that BOB could be undone by his MOTHER's own unnatural instincts.

BOB returning to the womb. Twin Peaks: The Return.

Rien

Jelly Belly
This is the first time since The Wire that i have enjoined a tv series so much. I really love all of it. Besides Tammy tho

As far as what they released, I'd agree. I really wished they'd do a nice official release that includes all the music from the TV series that isn't on that soundtrack. Sycamore Trees is really a TV series song, but it's on the FWWM soundtrack, obviously.

You mean a physical release? Because The Twin Peaks Archive is an official release since the tracks were available on David Lynch's website a couple of years ago. He's selling them for $9.90 right now by the way, that's crazy value for 212 tracks/10 hours of music.

Flipyap

I don't see any way that all this can be wrapped up in a meaningful way in 3 episodes.

Oh well.
Other than The Ballad of Dougie Jones, there hasn't been much of an ongoing story that needs to be wrapped up yet, and Dougie can be zapped out of existence as quickly as he came into it.
It honestly feels like we're still watching the prologue to... something. There's a whole lot of plotlines that have been seeded, but none of them feel important enough that they couldn't be waved away as hastily as Chad's non-story. Even Bad Coop's story arc so far has amounted to little more than establishing that he is out there, is bad and looking for... something.

Personally, I'd gladly trade wrapping anything up for a Part 8 Part II. So much so, that I'd be perfectly satisfied if the show ended right here. In Memory Of Dale Cooper and Douglas Jones², whatevs, let's just go back to the beautiful black and white madness.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I really like this reddit post from the Sarah Palmer theory thread:

BOB returning to the womb. Twin Peaks: The Return.

This... would be a fantastic, memorable, completely Lynch/Frost batshit way of waving goodbye to BOB as the big bad, so that if there was a Season 4, they wouldn't have to rely on superimposed footage of Frank Silva to make up for the fact that he's been dead almost as long as the show's been cancelled.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Other than The Ballad of Dougie Jones, there hasn't been much of an ongoing story that needs to be wrapped up yet, and Dougie can be zapped out of existence as quickly as he came into it.
It honestly feels like we're still watching the prologue to... something. There's a whole lot of plotlines that have been seeded, but none of them feel important enough that they couldn't be waved away as hastily as Chad's non-story. Even Bad Coop's story arc so far has amounted to little more than establishing that he is out there, is bad and looking for... something.

Personally, I'd gladly trade wrapping anything up for a Part 8 Part II. So much so, that I'd be perfectly satisfied if the show ended right here. In Memory Of Dale Cooper and Douglas Jones², whatevs, let's just go back to the beautiful black and white madness.

100% agree. Maybe one more episode of 'regular' weirdness with some closure or something and close the Season with a 2 hour grand finale black and white fuck up! Episode 8 is still by far the best thing this Season gave us so far imo. Plus the beginning of episode 3.

WriterGK

Well if you like /love Eraserhead then part 8 is probably your favourite. For me it ain't. But I haven't been doing any rewatches of the episodes so far. Ain't got time for that.

sonto340

Well if you like /love Eraserhead then part 8 is probably your favourite. For me it ain't. But I haven't been doing any rewatches of the episodes so far. Ain't got time for that.
My girlfriend and I have been rewatching(her watching for the first time) in anticipation for the finale.

Episode 8 is fine but I still think it’s a little too far up it’s own ass to be a “masterpiece” or “the best hour of television ever” like over seen thrown around.
I think it’s haunting, important to the series, and downright fantastic. But the praise I’ve seen scream “I get it and I’m a part of the club that likes subversive things for the sake of being subversive” maybe that’s just me though.

WriterGK

My girlfriend and I have been rewatching(her watching for the first time) in anticipation for the finale.

Episode 8 is fine but I still think it’s a little too far up it’s own ass to be a “masterpiece” or “the best hour of television ever” like over seen thrown around.
I think it’s haunting, important to the series, and downright fantastic. But the praise I’ve seen scream “I get it and I’m a part of the club that likes subversive things for the sake of being subversive” maybe that’s just me though.

I concur. You are right. Perhaps you and me are in the minority here about episode 8 but that is fine or at least should be fine. Film/Lynch/tv shows etc are art. Even good thoughts for person A can be bad thoughts for Person B.

The Terrence Mallick stuff in episode 8 is exhausting and the Eraserhead stuff is difficult also. I like the bits where the woodsmen are haunting the community.

sonto340

I concur. You are right. Perhaps you and me are in the minority here about episode 8 but that is fine or at least should be fine. Film/Lynch/tv shows etc are art. Even good thoughts for person A can be bad thoughts for Person B.
Good to hear I’m not alone. I’ve been told plenty of times that I don’t get it or what ever. Trust me I get it, I just don’t like it as much as you.

Rien

Jelly Belly

I understand you and respect your opinion completely but i dont understand how can it be too far up his own ass? I have seen this opinion more often but i dont really understand it.
Just a serious curiosity, not want to debate you or tell you otherwise :)

sonto340

I understand you and respect your opinion completely but i dont understand how can it be too far up his own ass? I have seen this opinion more often but i dont really understand it.
Just a serious curiosity, not want to debate you or tell you otherwise :)
It just feels really over indulgent. Up it’s own ass is probably a little hyperbolic, but this is neogaf dude :p
I absolutely loved everything once the woodsmen entered the episode, but everything from the end of the NIN performance to the second time skip to later on feels like it could have been shortened by at least half the time. I understand that it’s supposed to be instilling certain feelings, and setting a certain tone but after a while o was just sitting there like. Okay I get it. The mother of all abominations managed to push bad stuff into the world (such as BOB) when the nuclear test created enough energy to force an opening. Let’s move on.

That said, I’ve jever been one for abstractions to help set a mood. I definitely see what they were going for with it, and I don’t think people who love it and praise it are wrong for feeling that way, it just felt like it basked a little too much in its own message

That said the scene in the white lodge (i presume) was pretty good, if not a little meandering. Atmosphere goes a long way, but I get pulled out of an atmospheric scene really quick if it’s nothing BUT atmosphere. The giant slowly walking across one room, walking across another, walking up some stairs, walking across another room. Slow. Meandering. I was drawn in immediately and pulled out almost as quickly as each camera change showed me more of the same.

I think it’s a fine episode, and I think the things I dislike about it are the things that others love. I don’t neccesarily think either side is wrong because of that. It explains a lot lore wise and sets up some stuff I’m super interested in seeing pay off soon. I think it’s daring to air something like it on television as a stand-alone episode, and I think a lot of people praise it on that alone.

So whatever happened with the little boy and mother living across from where Dougie's car blew up? The one that kept saying 9-1-1 and was really drugged out? Did I miss something? I remember there was a scene with them in quite a few episodes earlier in the season and now nothing for several episodes.

Rien

Jelly Belly
It just feels really over indulgent. Up it’s own ass is probably a little hyperbolic, but this is neogaf dude :p
I absolutely loved everything once the woodsmen entered the episode, but everything from the end of the NIN performance to the second time skip to later on feels like it could have been shortened by at least half the time. I understand that it’s supposed to be instilling certain feelings, and setting a certain tone but after a while o was just sitting there like. Okay I get it. The mother of all abominations managed to push bad stuff into the world (such as BOB) when the nuclear test created enough energy to force an opening. Let’s move on.

That said, I’ve jever been one for abstractions to help set a mood. I definitely see what they were going for with it, and I don’t think people who love it and praise it are wrong for feeling that way, it just felt like it basked a little too much in its own message

That said the scene in the white lodge (i presume) was pretty good, if not a little meandering. Atmosphere goes a long way, but I get pulled out of an atmospheric scene really quick if it’s nothing BUT atmosphere. The giant slowly walking across one room, walking across another, walking up some stairs, walking across another room. Slow. Meandering. I was drawn in immediately and pulled out almost as quickly as each camera change showed me more of the same.

I think it’s a fine episode, and I think the things I dislike about it are the things that others love. I don’t neccesarily think either side is wrong because of that. It explains a lot lore wise and sets up some stuff I’m super interested in seeing pay off soon. I think it’s daring to air something like it on television as a stand-alone episode, and I think a lot of people praise it on that alone.

Great explanation, Thanx for that! I can see where you are coming from and indeed there is no wrong on either side. For me everything clicked on that ep besides the NIN act. That took a bit too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom