• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Cleganebowl, only the Mountain is Bran and The Hound is Arya. In the chaos after all is revealed, the camera pushes in on a shadowy corner of the scene, where Littlefinger has been watching the whole time with a smile on his face. All according to keikaku...

dosh

Arya is not the waif, it's very obvious they played it straight
Pretty much. The entire show has been playing it pretty straight from the start. There are twists yeah, but they mostly consist in people getting killed in a pretty sudden and unexpected way. Just like in the books. Other than that, GoT is very much WYSIWYG, the show. Anything else is wishful thinking or Tumblr-tier fanfic.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Arya is actually everyone. She just stacks the faces on top of one another.

Arya wearing Arya's face.
5yTgEZd.png

Kolx

My theory for Cersei's final play:

Cersei hears them out about the dead men beyond the Wall and agrees to help, purely to have an excuse to march her armies North without being met at the Neck and stymied. As soon as she's got them in position to do maximum damage, she betrays the Northmen.

Then, she marches on the Wall.

Why? Well, it's fairly simple: she knows Jon will try desperately to defend the Wall. This is to her advantage because the Wall is almost entirely indefensible from the south; there are a dozen undefended castles he would have to spread his forces between, and none of them have any fortifications against southern attack whatsoever. He would have to spread his forces thin, put their backs to a literal wall, and fight without any defenses.

What's worse, every man she kills--and every man she loses--will just be fed into the Night King's army, which is more of a threat to the Northmen and their allies (Daenerys) than to Cersei herself.

It's horrible, it's mad, it's the best way to doom all of humanity... and it's also the most cut-throat way to destroy her enemies, which is all she really cares about anymore.
You forgot the fact that Dany will fuck her army the moment she betrays the north.

CornDogg

Saved for season finale.
"Yes! Yes! Break my wheel with your Longclaw. Show me that Winter is Coming. Let me sit on your Iron Throne. Your direwolf is the biggest. Bend that knee. Oh my god, bend that knee! Dracarys!"

More like "Bend Dany", amirite? *wink*wink*

...I'll see myself out.

You forgot the fact that Dany will fuck her army the moment she betrays the north.

The entire point is that she can't fight the opposing armies on an open field, so she forces them into a disadvantageous position where the best they can hope for is a Pyrrhic victory (which Cersei is fine with because she's a psychopath).

I mean if you're on a, "No matter what happens Dany just smashes everyone instantly with her draconic vagina!" kick then I don't know, let's just cancel the rest of the show I guess because we've got our resolution all figured out?

Zok310

Banned

Cersei hears them out about the dead men beyond the Wall and agrees to help, purely to have an excuse to march her armies North without being met at the Neck and stymied. As soon as she's got them in position to do maximum damage, she betrays the Northmen.

Why? Well, it's fairly simple: she knows Jon will try desperately to defend the Wall. This is to her advantage because the Wall is almost entirely indefensible from the south; there are a dozen undefended castles he would have to spread his forces between, and none of them have any fortifications against southern attack whatsoever. He would have to spread his forces thin, put their backs to a literal wall, and fight without any defenses.

What's worse, every man she kills--and every man she loses--will just be fed into the Night King's army, which is more of a threat to the Northmen and their allies (Daenerys) than to Cersei herself.

It's horrible, it's mad, it's the best way to doom all of humanity... and it's also the most cut-throat way to destroy her enemies, which is all she really cares about anymore.

She can't be that stupid, all her men turn against her once they see who the real enemy is if she gives them an order to stab Jon in the back in the middle of the war against the dead, the folks in her army are not mindless sheep.
Best she can do is make her move after the war against the dead is won.

She can't be that stupid, all her men turn against her once they see who the real enemy is if she gives them an order to stab Jon in the back in the middle of the war against the dead, the folks in her army are not mindless sheep.
Best she can do is make her move after the war against the dead is won.

Anyone who's still fighting for Cersei at the point where she's firebombed the religious center of their society, killing dozens of other nobles, probably is not going to blink when she says, "The army of the dead isn't real, the Northmen are just massing for another rebellion (the tenth one this week) at their Wall of rapists and murderers, sally forth and smash."

Are they going to realize it was a really bad idea if and when they sack one of the Night's Watch castles, breach the wall, and the dead start pouring in? Of course. As far as Cersei's concerned she's won by that point, though; the North is doomed, and she at least gets to watch the end of the world from her privileged position in the south.

I mean, this is obviously predicated on her realizing she can't possibly survive and win in the conventional sense. I think she's too smart to keep banking on that, and instead she's going to go into "fuck the world" mode, as she's foreshadowed repeatedly.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If Cleganebowl happens whilst Bran is warged into The Mountain, is it really Cleganebowl?

🤔🤔🤔

I'm expecting some kind of shenanigans with the Mountain and the White Walkers. Like Cersei (and Qyburn) being too blind to see the threat or to realize what kinds of powers the WW have, and the Night King will manage to turn the Mountain to his side and kill her.

Speaking of Qyburn, aside from being all shady and the resident necromancer, we don't know that much about his endgame, assuming he has one. Kinda curious to see if the writers manage to do something interesting (or something at all) with him, but I'm not holding my breath, especially after this week's episode.

Kolx

The entire point is that she can't fight the opposing armies on an open field, so she forces them into a disadvantageous position where the best they can hope for is a Pyrrhic victory (which Cersei is fine with because she's a psychopath).

I mean if you're on a, "No matter what happens Dany just smashes everyone instantly with her draconic vagina!" kick then I don't know, let's just cancel the rest of the show I guess because we've got our resolution all figured out?
But that's exactly what the show is telling us now (unless Cersie ofc kills Dany). The only reason Cersie agreed to negotiate is because she knows she's gonna lose if they continued this war with what she has now. Even Jaime said it. If Dany could only win war in an open field then why is Cersie and Jaime afraid when they're in one of the most fortified castle in all of westeros? And why cancel the show when the white walkers the thing the show hyped for years is still yet be resolved? The show now is about the white walkers, and this season has been all about minimizing the political struggle for the throne as much as they can by destroying houses left and right to clear the way for season 8.

But that's exactly what the show is telling us now (unless she ofc kills Dany). The only reason Cersie agreed to negotiate is because she knows she's gonna lose if they continued this war with what she has now. Even Jaime said it. If Dany could only win war in open field then why is Cersie and Jaime afraid when they're in one of the most fortified castle in all of westeros? And why cancel the show when the white walkers the thing the show hyped for years is still yet be resolved? The show now is about the white walkers, and this season has been all about minimizing the political struggle for the throne as much as they can by destroying houses left and right to clear the way for season 8.

In the last three episodes they had one of the dragons die for frivolous reasons, one of them get grounded in the middle of what should have been a complete rout of an ambush, wounded by a standard siege weapon, and an explicit conversation where Tyrion talks about how Dany Has To Stop Being Dumb With Dragons.

I don't think you're receiving the signals they're trying to send you with regard to Dragon Ex Machina, though I will admit that the directosr of those episodes sent some hardcore mixed messages due to his desire to have big "spectacle" scenes. I'm pretty sure the writers are trying to tell you, "Dany can't just solve all problems with her dragons."

Regardless:

More to the point, the entire plan I proposed was taking advantage of the fact there are more than a dozen undefended castles along the Wall, and Jon can't afford to allow a breach in any of them. That means that you can split the defense many ways, which is to the advantage of Cersei's forces, because the dragons can only be in one place at once.

It's further to her advantage to force her enemies into a defensive posture at the Wall, because:

1. The Wall has no defenses from the south.
2. Horse nomads kind of suck at defending a static location.
3. Horse nomads and desert-raised slave soldiers probably are not wise choices for fighting in mountainous terrain on the edge of the tundra.
4. She creates a situation where there are multiple battles and Jon can't afford to lose any of them, but she only actually has to win one of them to succeed.

Most of the castles on the Wall have been unmanned, which means they have no supplies, and there isn't even anyone there to raise the hastiest of makeshift defenses. Jon would literally be racing her to them, and then having to fight with his troops cornered against Lannister forces that specialize in formation combat.

It's easily the best option available to her if she wants to do maximum damage to her enemies on her way to the grave.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok, so Bran warging into The Mountain is happening. There's no way they won't do that. Thanks gaf.

Also this show is ridiculous now. Pacing issues, ridiculous plots, rushing to the conclusion. At this point I just want as much bat-shit stuff to happen as often as possible, may as well go full roller coaster with it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This "Arya being the waif" theory is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would the Waif go back to Westeros? Why would she kill the Freys? Why would she go toward to King Landing for Cersei and then change her destination as soon as she heard her family haven't been wiped? Why would she go back to Winterfell to meet Arya's family? What would be the fucking point?

Some people really don't think before starting a bunch of dumb shit theories huh?

Ydelnae

My theory was that Arya would be the one to fuck up the meeting by either killing Cersei or Jaime (so that her build up to her kill list makes sense instead of dropping it to play hide and seek with LF) but after last week's episode I don't see Sansa, LF and Arya leaving Winterfell for the reunion with the Lannisters.

Before they showed us the face-masks, I thought Arya didn't have to actually kill a person to take their face, so another theory of mine was that Arya would take Sansa's appearance to play LF, since the show has remarked again and again his obsession with Catelyn and thus, Sansa. Death by double-Sansa.

This "Arya being the waif" theory is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why would the Waif go back to Westeros? Why would she kill the Freys? Why would she go toward to King Landing for Cersei and then change her destination as soon as she heard her family haven't been wiped? Why would she go back to Winterfell to meet Arya's family? What would be the fucking point?

Some people really don't think before starting a bunch of dumb shit theories huh?

Most of these theories are z-grade attempts to try and think of some massive shocking twist, while ignoring how said shocking twist would destroy 7 seasons of character development for no real gain.

Ned dying or the red wedding were both shocking, but they fit thematically, resonated emotionally, and added to Arya/Jon/Sansa's character arcs. To me, needlessly complicated twists like Bran being the Night King or Arya being the waif don't seem to offer any real pay off past the shock value.

yeah, there's no need for anymore grand twists in this story. just tell it straightforward from here on out.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
yeah, there's no need for anymore grand twists in this story. just tell it straightforward from here on out.

All the good guys get together to fight the bad guys sounds like the dumbest shit if thats the endgame. im expecting people we have been rooting for to do things that make us change our feelings about them. We got a brief glimpse of that kind of conflicting feeling im expecting the last season with Bron shooting at Dany/Drogon.

All the good guys get together to fight the bad guys sounds like the dumbest shit if thats the endgame. im expecting people we have been rooting for to do things that make us change our feelings about them. We got a brief glimpse of that kind of conflicting feeling im expecting the last season with Bron shooting at Dany/Drogon.
The good guys had a huge victory last season though. The good guys have been suffering for 6 whole seasons so it is refreshing to finally see things going their way. Jon beat Ramsay at the battle of the bastards and took back Winterfell. Were there any debates last year on whether it'd be more or less predictable for Jon or Ramsay to win that fight?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The good guys had a huge victory last season though. The good guys have been suffering for 6 whole seasons so it is refreshing to finally see things going their way. Jon beat Ramsay at the battle of the bastards and took back Winterfell. Were there any debates last year on whether it'd be more or less predictable for Jon or Ramsay to win that fight?

There has to be something to take up the next 8 hours or so of GoT. If its just good guys team up and put the hurt on the Night King that doesnt seem like a very interesting story to me.

Jamie has shown he cares about the regular people from time to time. Saving kings landing, and staying with his men. I think this will be the straw the breaks the camel back.

Jamie has shown he cares about the regular people from time to time. Saving kings landing, and staying with his men. I think this will be the straw the breaks the camel back.

I'm definitely hoping Cersei does some dank villainy that pushes Jaime over the edge into acting like a knight again. Honestly, the only reason I can think of that he wouldn't is the writers have to know that's somewhere around #3 or #4 on fan request lists, and let's face it, we're all masochists who want them to punish us.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There has to be something to take up the next 8 hours or so of GoT. If its just good guys team up and put the hurt on the Night King that doesnt seem like a very interesting story to me.

So basically, you want something like :

"Alright everyone, the Night King is right over that hill. Time to save Westeros." -Dany
"Not today." -Cersei
Mountain kills Tyrion & Missandei(because why the fuck not).
"Nooo!" -Greyworm
Greyworm fights the Mountain, dies horribly.
"Cersei! Why?" -Jon
"Because I'm the Queen. I don't need outsiders help."
"You're insane Cersei." -Jaime after he stabs her in the back.
It would be poetry for Jaime to kill both a King and a Queen.

Definitely. Losing her kids has given her less to lose and heightened her ruthlessness. Still, there's nothing to suggest it stripped her of any & all rationality.

I'd say allowing the person who revealed your biggest, most dangerous secret to the world, almost tearing down your entire House in the process to live period is a big deal. An irrationally evil cunt would've killed Ned outright and worried about the consequences later -- which is exactly what an actual irrationally evil cunt did do.

She could've have slipped something in his drink during their many wine sessions, or hired someone to have him killed(again, which is what Joffrey did). Even after he had Myrcella sent away she struck back in a way that didn't jeopardize the defense of the city.

And why did it end in everyone getting blown up? The Sept bombing doesn't happen if Margaery didn't ruin the Tyrell/Lannister plan(which Cersei facilitated) to take down the Sparrows by force by playing her own game. Margaery delivered Tommen to the High Sparrow who used his new found royal authority to send Jaime away, strip Cersei of her trial by combat right, and have her stand trial in the ways of old. The Sept bombing was literally a desperate last resort.
I can give you Ned, but Cersei poisoning Tyrion specifically before the battle because.. well I have no idea why she would do it now or what he's done do finally deserve it. That doesn't really make any sense. Last time I checked, Cersei sent the High Sparrow on the Tyrells for the simple reason that she was no longer the Queen and was losing power. A power hungry dumbass who got what came to her end of s5. The walk of Ls is one of the highlights of this show. She literally attacked the Tyrells later on because she lost power and was humiliated all because of HER stupidity. She literally gave power to the people that humiliated her and then killed the Tyrells because why not. It's not like they were going to kill her, she just wanted to get back at them and lost her only child because of it.

I'll give you 1/3.

this story delving into generic good and all humanity vs evil is so

QLz96_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

I have Lord of the Rings for that, this series being different is what really got my interest. I agree with some other user that said some favorite characters are going to do some questionable shit that we won't like. Sansa/Arya killing each other would be dumb as fuck though, I mean something along the lines that makes sense within their characters.

"Alright everyone, the Night King is right over that hill. Time to save Westeros." -Dany
"Not today." -Cersei
"Nooo!" -Greyworm
"Cersei! Why?" -Jon

I'm curious (preview spoilass)
where Danny is. Assuming she comes in with Drogon after they're talking to one another since she wasn't in the preview. Cersei isn't going to be down to accept anything without Danny there.

How about if they all think they are in alignment and one of them does something the others would consider rash. How about if Dany goes mental because of the White Walker threat? The wall has fallen.. the armies of the living are retreating south. Dany decides to raze settlements that cant/arent evacuating because it would be better to turn them to ash than to have them bolster the WW army. That would cause conflict among the Super Friends. Theres a lot of ways things can get interesting.
The most interesting turn of events to me is them winning the war halfway into season 6 next year and something causing Danny to go mad queen. Then it turning into Jon having to kill her.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

"Not today." -Cersei
"Nooo!" -Greyworm
"Cersei! Why?" -Jon

How about if they all think they are in alignment and one of them does something the others would consider rash. How about if Dany goes mental because of the White Walker threat? The wall has fallen.. the armies of the living are retreating south. Dany decides to raze settlements that cant/arent evacuating because it would be better to turn them to ash than to have them bolster the WW army. That would cause conflict among the Super Friends. Theres a lot of ways things can get interesting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This makes me think that Jon will not survive the season. The 'good' guys have been getting progressively less good as time goes on - Arya is a brutal assassin, Sansa has been learning manipulation from LF and Cersei, Dany has become increasingly angry and willing to burn people alive, bran is detached and uncaring. We may see the good guys win but see them becoming the bad guys. Jon though appears to be good through and through, he'll have to die - again.

Top Bottom