• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Wonko_C

At first I was "awesome! I'll give this a try." Then I realized it is kinda useless to me because all my DS games are sprite-based.

need love plus screens

tz1otRh.png

Oh what I wouldn't give for to have this on my cellphone

Been emulating Super Mario 64 DS (a game which I own so back off) on my cellphone lately and if you miniaturize the touch screen and set the controls to 'touch' all you have to do is roll your thumb around for damn good analog control. Thought it wouldn't work on a cellphone but it works delightfully well

Lijik

I kind of love low resolution unfiltered textures, GAF.
Same. Interested in messing around with this

Edit- it does my heart good to see people get up in semantics over what old system it evokes. Definetly not enough blur to be n64!

Dunno. I watched an hour of Gran Turismo yesterday and it manages to push a lot more.

DS graphics always felt like a half point between GBA and PS1 sadly.

I would say the DS was more like what wouldve happened with the Sega Saturn and PS1's library had 3d not become so big

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I actually love how these look. Super low poly graphics are so charming in HD with bucketloads of antialiasing.

Foffy

Banned
Has any emulator bothered to add texture filtering? I know the DS lacks it, but that makes all upscaled rendering ugly as sin, as the pictures highlight.

WillyFive

Is that confirmed?

They have some very good software upscalers with the GBA VC on WiiU.

Well, they might be able to do it with DS games, since they increased the resolution for N64 games on Wii VC.

But considering it's Nintendo, they'll probably just upscale it and leave it a day; making the image super pixelated.

Oemenia

Banned
Tried it out, performance is inconsistent between sessions and a white background in full-screen mode which isn't nice.

Hopefully not long before the official version implements this.

Grief.exe

Has any emulator bothered to add texture filtering? I know the DS lacks it, but that makes all upscaled rendering ugly as sin, as the pictures highlight.

Do you mean any DS emulator? Or any emulator period?

Many emulators have texture filtering built in, I know both PCSX2 and Dolphin have the option for example.

Foffy

Banned
Do you mean any DS emulator? Or any emulator period?

Many emulators have texture filtering built in, I know both PCSX2 and Dolphin have the option for example.

DS. I cite that because the whole platform never had texture filtering, and it seems no emulator I've followed incorporated it as a response for the platform lacking it. I know PCSX2 and Dolphin have fantastic texture filtering, with PPSSPP featuring similar filtering and xBR support. I haven't followed this DS emulators SVN builds, but it seems to support xBR as well, or at least a variation of it.

Miker

Those screenshots are really awesome. Not all of them are impressive, but it's always cool to see games from a different technical perspective. It's a really unique look.

And between KH 179 days on 3DS in HD and KH BBS on PSP in HD, Squenix comes out looking like tech wizards.

Somebody should do some Ace Attorney Screens

Unless I'm missing something, it won't look very different. Those games are 2D pixel art games from the GBA. Unless you really want some screenshots of the 3D items in the court record...?

Really wish they hadn't gone polygonal with Golden Sun 3.

The GBA games still hold up extremely well, but the DS one is just meh.

GooeyHeat

Metroid Prime Hunters looks way better than I expected. Those textures look so much better than any of the others in the OP.

I actually LOVE the way these look. The textures are low-res enough that they come across as stylistic rather than just blurry (even if that's not actually the case).

The game's don't look "HD" per se, but really charming.

Top Bottom