• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Man Gaming Thread: Save some green, man

wilflare

Glass Rebel said:
He must have every game on that site by now. :lol I'm not mad though since he referred me ;)

>< haha nah. won't get all the games >< only one or two i really like.

you guys need to see these guys on the GMG forums
These are NOT my pics

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/657/

Necrobutcher
PZ3jM.jpg

pewbz
rPCLE.png

Benedict

wilflare said:
>< haha nahh i haven't got any game.
you guys need to see these guys on the GMG forums

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/657/

Necrobutcher
http://i.imgur.com/PZ3jM.jpg

pewbz
http://i.imgur.com/rPCLE.png

I wonder if that is "improper use" of the recommend a friend scheme....

Improper use of the ‘recommend a friend’ scheme is strictly forbidden and any misuse of this and the service could result in any applicable Green Man Gaming accounts being suspended or worse, we will tell your parents!

293... jesus...

And here I was all happy I could get Sanctum for free.

Benedict said:

Improper use of the ‘recommend a friend’ scheme is strictly forbidden and any misuse of this and the service could result in any applicable Green Man Gaming accounts being suspended or worse, we will tell your parents!

By improper they probably mean you creating ur own multiple accounts, as that would be fraud.

wilflare

Benedict said:

the mod over at the forums didn't seem to mention anything.
and the two guys mentioned how they did it.. sounds pretty legit thus far.

the way the first guy declared was kinda funny: Achievement Unlocked: 100 Referrals

coopolon

Stop It said:
Wow, Green Man Gaming just made me very happy.

My old copies of Reign: Conflict of Nations and NecroVisioN: Lost Company were suddenly worth £9 each. This added to the 20% off code meant that I was able to pre-order Batman: Arkham City for £3. I was meaning to buy the game at some point, but that's just silly, heh.

Thank you so much for posting this! I just traded in my games and will now also pre-order Batman AC. Although I am kind of thinking about waiting to see if they get Skyrim...

Got Batman AC for $13. Damn, how can this site afford to offer these prices?

wilflare

Glass Rebel said:
brb guys posting my referral link on gamefaqs

wahaha. note: don't just spam on it gamefaqs
go into specific threads -that's what the guy said-

blehh shouldn't have traded my Deus Ex GOTY

wilflare

Weenerz said:
Offering referral links, help me destroy wilflare and all his referrals!!!! ;P

-snip-

Thats mine if anyone needs it.

weenz, for your own safety, don't post it in the public
it's permabannable offense.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish I knew more people who played on PC, because the rest of the internet is too fast for me to give out any referral links.

I want to buy a copy of Dead Island for my brother. Is any way to gift it?

Since the game is Steamworks, can I buy it on my GMG account, look for the steam key anywhere and send it to my brother? I do not want to install capsule, is it possible?

Glass Rebel

Chiaroscuro said:
I want to buy a copy of Dead Island for my brother. Is any way to gift it?

Since the game is Steamworks, can I buy it on my GMG account, look for the steam key anywhere and send it to my brother? I do not want to install capsule, is it possible?

Yes, PM me if you need a referral link ;)

Edit: You can't buy the game twice on the same account though.

botlite

GMG Twitter posted this not long ago:

For those wondering, yes our trade-in prices are super good right now on purpose, and no, it WONT LAST LONG! /Rob

coopolon

botlite said:
GMG Twitter posted this not long ago:

For those wondering, yes our trade-in prices are super good right now on purpose, and no, it WONT LAST LONG! /Rob

Wish I'd gotten that other free game they gave out awhile ago, just got the men of war and ARMA though because those were the only ones I was remotely interested in.

Max

I am not Max
after getting deus ex and dead island for $34 each, i'm really loving this site

have already referred 3 friends and gotten $15 which is great

Max said:
after getting deus ex and dead island for $34 each, i'm really loving this site

have already referred 3 friends and gotten $15 which is great
Same here. It kind of felt odd with the referals at first, but when you think about it it benefits GMG in the long run.

coopolon

Heh, I tried to use a credit card on my old account that I had also used on a new account to get a referral and it wouldn't let me. Sot hat's how they are keeping people from exploiting the referral process, you can only have as many accounts as you have credit cards/paypal accounts. Although I guess paypal accounts are free.

Green Man Gaming is awesome. I need more games but I'm not sure if Dead Island is the game for me. I'm tempted at the price we can get it at though. It's almost like I want to buy it because it's cheap.

DoctorWho said:
Green Man Gaming is awesome. I need more games but I'm not sure if Dead Island is the game for me. I'm tempted at the price we can get it at though. It's almost like I want to buy it because it's cheap.

That's why I picked it up, after getting my referrals I was able to buy it for $16. A 30-50 hour game with New Game+ for $16? How could I pass that up?

WaywardGMG

Neo Member
Hey guys.

My name is Rob at GMG - I've been eyeing up this thread for the past 4 days and it's been a little frustrating not being able to answer your questions. However, I seem to be approved now! Thanks to my friend @Spookieuk and the GAF mods! Remind me to give you some credit or something, Spookie.

There seems to be no specific rules about store reps visiting your site. It should be clear from my username I work at GMG, and I'll try to make it clear in every thread - not here to spam, just here to answer any questions. You guys give us traffic and sales, so we'll give you some amazing customer support.

Well I'm not really customer support - I'm the community manager, but I can generally point you in the right direction, chase tickets, whatever. I'm the guy that runs the Twitter account, and so on!

Obviously I won't spam up with a huge amount of answers to old questions, but to point you guys on the right track:

Money / Credit Card problems: So BoA and Chase have this thing about illegal online gambling, and aren't very good at learning that "gaming" doesn't always mean we're trying to get you to play poker. We're working with the banks to get us removed from this list. Working with banks is slow, slow work, so sorry for any fake fraud stuff. We're legit. We have an office and desks and everything. Also working on more US payment options. Which ones would you like to see?

Is X Steam?: Steam games are listed on the top of product page. You can also just search 'Steam' on the site. There's also a full list on our forums and somewhere on the Steam forums as well.

Refund Policy:: With Capsule its fairly generous, with Steam titles we can't afford to be generous because we're dealing with third party keys. Pre-Orders can often get refunded but NOT ONCE WE'VE SENT KEYS OUT, unless we've done something wrong on our side. Make sure you're ordering a game you want, and read the product page to know what you're getting for your money!

Pre-Orders:: We don't guarantee pre-load, though we try our hardest to get pre-load if Steam is doing it, and we're working on offering our own pre-load service at some point. What we list on our page is what we get. No TF2 hats!

Regions and all this UK stuff: Do not fear, US/AUS friends! Our release dates are, 99% of the time, based on your country, not ours. Some games have region specific codes like Dead Island, other games just rely on your GEO-IP. Basically, if you live in America, you get the game when it comes out in America, be that sooner or later. We just list the UK release date on the site because we're a UK site. Working on listing multiple release dates in the future!

Mr. Mega Referral 100 Friends guy: It's not abusing our current rules, but it has caused friction with other communities as people are spamming like idiots. Because of this, and obviously because we can't afford to give everyone 10 million dollars of games, we will shortly be reducing the amount of referral money you can get, along with capping it at about 10 refferals. So basically, get in there for now, we're not going to be dicks and retroactively cancel accounts.

So yeah, apologies for the long thread. Questions / Feedback / Rage / Suggestions to improve can be directed at me, you're bookmarked at home and work. Can't guarantee I can solve all questions and problems but I'll do my best, and can assure that if anything goes wrong, the very least I do is get all up in my employees 'grills' about the problem.

Massive respect to the GAF - I may start posting here as an actual user, but I'd like a mod to confirm I'm cool with being here under the 'GMG' banner first.

-Rob
GMG Community Manager

PS: ""What about Greenman Gaming |OT| Save Some Green, Man?" Amazing. The only reason I didn't think of that is because our money is multiple colours!

Card Boy

Banned
Welcome Rob, your site has being a blessing for us Aussies getting price gouged on Steam.

I hope when and if you get EA on board they don't force you guys to start a trend of regional pricing and IP blocking like they do on the many other DD services.

dream

Thank you for making the idea of preordering a digital copy of a game actually beneficial for the customer. I've always thought it was silly to prepay in full for a digital copy before GMG came along and actually made it cheaper to preorder a game instead of buying it on release.

Derrick01

Banned
WaywardGMG said:
Also working on more US payment options. Which ones would you like to see?

First, thanks for being awesome with the crazy prices.

If you can I'd like to see a Discover option for credit cards in the future. I tried to buy Dead Island the other day only to find out it's apparently only Visa and Mastercard, which kind of pissed me off until an hour later when I (thankfully) remembered I have a Visa too that I pretty much never use. Not a big deal or anything but I like to use as few cards as possible in as few places as possible.

Card Boy

Banned
Also when are the following going up for pre-order Rob?

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Hard Reset
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Nuclear Dawn

I will join in the chorus of people saying thanks for all the awesome deals. Pre-ordered both Deus Ex and Dead Island for $34 each AND got to pre-load, so I am super happy with you guys and will definitely keep GMG in mind for my future purchases.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, I too would really like to know when pre-orders for Hard Reset go up. Shortly, I hope!

Cheech

WaywardGMG said:
Money / Credit Card problems: So BoA and Chase have this thing about illegal online gambling, and aren't very good at learning that "gaming" doesn't always mean we're trying to get you to play poker.

Chase locked my card after trying to place an order on your site. When I called to unlock, they said the problem was with the location, not necessarily that it was a UK "gaming" site. Is it possible you guys are running your CC transactions as a local merchant and not mail order? I don't really know anything about CC banking stuff, but it seems like that would be an issue.

FWIW, I had a similar problem with Steam when they were running CC transactions out of the Netherlands or something nutty like that.

Personally, I'm ok using Paypal with you for now, but it would be nice if this thing with Chase gets resolved. Also... American Express would be a plus?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good to know about the regional release date stuff as I put in a ticket earlier. It's always nice to see a community manager show up and answer questions.

I will also throw my hat in for loving to see a Hard Reset deal

WaywardGMG

Neo Member
Thanks guys! Good to hear people are having a good experience alongside good prices. We're budget and small right now, we hope to grow by being very good at caring about games (and being gamers, that's always a pretty good thing to be aiming for!)

Heavy said:
Thanks for the info, Rob. Your site rocks! I'll have to PM a mod for a title change

Oh, that would be cool! I'm trying preempt any assumption I'm stealthily trying to make people buy games on GMG without saying I work there, especially if I join in on the forums and start having 'opinions'!

Derrick01 said:
First, thanks for being awesome with the crazy prices.

If you can I'd like to see a Discover option for credit cards in the future. I tried to buy Dead Island the other day only to find out it's apparently only Visa and Mastercard, which kind of pissed me off until an hour later when I (thankfully) remembered I have a Visa too that I pretty much never use. Not a big deal or anything but I like to use as few cards as possible in as few places as possible.

Discover is on my list! I'm not sure why we don't have it, but while we might not be adding it soon, it should be the next one that goes up, and I've brought this up multiple times to our CEO.

Gez said:
Also when are the following going up for pre-order Rob?

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Hard Reset
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Nuclear Dawn

Our publishing manager, who used to run D2D Europe, has gone running off on holiday this week so I'm sorry for being vague:

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes: Couple of weeks, will be a Steam game
Hard Reset: I was hoping for this week. Steam - Still chasing, probably more like early next week now!
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North: Next week I believe, NOT Steam I don't think
Nuclear Dawn: Steam, next week.

Flunkie

Banned
Rob, you guys at GMG are awesome. Sucks to hear about the referral cap for those above ten referrals but not near approaching anything crazy like 100. I can see how it can become a problem for those who do horde referrals, though.

Keep up the amazing customer service! You guys have really won me over.

WaywardGMG

Neo Member
Cheech said:
Chase locked my card after trying to place an order on your site. When I called to unlock, they said the problem was with the location, not necessarily that it was a UK "gaming" site. Is it possible you guys are running your CC transactions as a local merchant and not mail order? I don't really know anything about CC banking stuff, but it seems like that would be an issue.

FWIW, I had a similar problem with Steam when they were running CC transactions out of the Netherlands or something nutty like that.

Personally, I'm ok using Paypal with you for now, but it would be nice if this thing with Chase gets resolved. Also... American Express would be a plus?

Chase have a habit of telling different customers different things. We've had some fairly strange explanations told to us from people speaking to their reps, unfortunately. Still, better that then their customers get actually frauded, I suppose!

As I said we're still working with the banks on resolving it - obviously, we want it fixed as much as our customers do, and it's top of the long term technical issues we're looking at moving forward.

If you don't wanna answer this question it's totally understandable but how are you guys making any money off these pre-orders? $34 for games that are $50 everywhere else, including Steam... that's insane. I read that you're going to make the 20% off vouchers be 15% off in the future but that's still only $36 for AAA $50 games.

Card Boy

Banned
Heavy said:
If you don't wanna answer this question it's totally understandable but how are you guys making any money off these pre-orders? $34 for games that are $50 everywhere else, including Steam... that's insane. I read that you're going to make the 20% off vouchers be 15% off in the future but that's still only $36 for AAA $50 games.

I'd imagine they are only making 1 or 2 dollars on each of those games and are reducing their 30% take and passing it onto the consumer for market share? Just a lazy guess.

TGMIII

Yeah just want to say I've been pushing friends to use you guys, the prices and support you give is 100% down to earth, it's a breath of fresh air to see that.

WaywardGMG

Neo Member
Heavy said:

The reality of DD right now is that competing with Steam is virtually impossible because their client is very good and their relationship with publishers is entrenched. Clearly, prices are the easiest way to get noticed. Customer service is a not too distant second.

Think of it like this: Does it make more sense to offer games at retail price but spend £10,000 on banner adverts that nobody clicks on, or spend that money on making your games cheaper by removing some of your own margin (and focusing on getting great deals like out 25% DI discount int the UK) and throw traditional advertising out the window and replace it with - well, me and my team - there's our game plan, in a nutshell.

Gez said:
I'd imagine they are only making 1 or 2 dollars on each of those games and are reducing their 30% take and passing it onto the consumer for market share? Just a lazy guess.
Yeah, most likely their percentage take is the lowest out there.

EDIT: Thanks for the reply, Rob! Makes a lot of sense..

Spookie

WaywardGMG said:
My name is Rob at GMG - I've been eyeing up this thread for the past 4 days and it's been a little frustrating not being able to answer your questions. However, I seem to be approved now! Thanks to my friend @Spookieuk and the GAF mods! Remind me to give you some credit or something, Spookie.

No probs!

Also you should a suitable avatar for people to identify you! Quick and dirty job but:

GMGAva.jpg

;)

Top Bottom