• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New SOCOM announced at PSX?

revotron

ANOTHER UPDATE..

Just so we don’t jump the gun, a user in this thread has given his opinion on “Socom Technologies”.. this all could be just a nice big ol coincidence...

”SOCOM Technologies" is a marketing & advertising firm with no physical address that I can find: https://www.linkedin.com/company/socom-technologies/

Although I would love to hear about a new SOCOM being announced, I think the "SOCOM Technologies" hype is simply a marketing company helping Santa Monica with the circulation of job listings through various job boards aka "ladders". And one of the companies promoting it unfortunately has an interesting name when it comes to SOCOM fans.

The url leading to PlayStation's site looks like a simple search tag of the said company with its placement on the website being in the same area as a link to PS forums. I think people are seeing what they want to see here instead of using a little logic.

Add in the timing of the PSX rumor and I fear this one has been blown way out of proportion and we will all be disappointed again come early December.

—————————

UPDATE 11/16/17..

Okay, big news guys!

All of this should still be taken as rumor, with that being said,

A company called “SOCOM Technologies” has listed 155 jobs, it seems to be Sony Santa Monica or a division of them at least. From the postings it’s looking like they are developing on the Unreal Engine. Pictures below...

Link to job postings: https://t.co/dTe0WiJVtQ

FeEVK

—————————-

Original Post:

Saw this tweet the other day...

https://twitter.com/aihgamingnews/status/92621746428698214

Anyone know of these guys and how credible they have been in the past?

Add this to Tidux tweeting about Sony looking for a SOCOM dev a while back in August...

https://twitter.com/tidux/status/902604465659924480

czk51

When Socom 2 launched on PS2, and I had the network adapter + headset, it blew my mind I could play it online. Spent hours every night playing with the NZ / AU players. Cross Roads, Fish Hook, Enowapi, and my favorite Fox Hunt.

Rose tinted glasses and all, but I would say that was one the most enjoyable periods of gaming in my life.

Trill O'Reilly

Neo Member
If true I’ll go to PSX since it’s 10 mins away from me...I’ll even take a HD remaster announcement as long as they leave 3 and 4 out...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When Socom 2 launched on PS2, and I had the network adapter + headset, it blew my mind I could play it online. Spent hours every night playing with the NZ / AU players. Cross Roads, Fish Hook, Enowapi, and my favorite Fox Hunt.

Rose tinted glasses and all, but I would say that was one the most enjoyable periods of gaming in my life.

Yup, that's what I believe helped launch the headset on console--issuing commands to AI was great, can only imagine what issuing hand gestures in VR to your squad mates would be like.

wipeout364

Not sure about this, the third person competitive shooter space feels like a genre people are not clamouring for. I mean there is gears of war of course, the division (maybe?), and last of us but outside of that.... . And if they go first person that feels like a currently over crowded space. I am ok with them giving it a shot but it will be interesting to see how they approach it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not sure about this, the third person competitive shooter space feels like a genre people are not clamouring for. I mean there is gears of war of course, the division (maybe?), and last of us but outside of that.... . And if they go first person that feels like a currently over crowded space. I am ok with them giving it a shot but it will be interesting to see how they approach it.

Right

Trill O'Reilly

Neo Member

Was there at a time when it was at it's peak though? Tbf though the only reason i got into the game was because of friends recommending 2, then i had to seek rehab...

Shin

Banned
Tidux doesn't know anything and the other site I've never heard of (not to discredit them).
It could be that the person they were looking for was for Bravo Team, don't know if PlayStation/SuperMassive are that close.

Three weeks to go, we'll see I guess.
Never played SOCOM so it would be nice to give it a try since people love it so much :p

Dunno but I'd be pretty hyped for it. Ghost Recon Wildlands sort of reirritated an itch for SOCOM. It scratches it pretty good, too -- a sort of SOCOM meets MGS V of scouting, planning, approach, and executing ambushes. But different enough that I still play MGS V, too, and would love a new [well done] SOCOM hhh.

Grinchy

Banned
This is the kind of thing I think I want, but if it actually happened, maybe I'd find I didn't actually want it after all. Tastes change.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

I was blown away buy how you could tell the AI what to do if memory serves me correctly

Not Drake

Yeah I'm not buying all these PSX rumours. I expect a nice random remaster, Shawn Layden wearing a long sleeve shirt of some forgotten IP, few indie games announcements and updates on bigger games. The biggest thing I hope to see is Death Stranding.

pixelbox

I made a thread about this last year. The only qualified dev in Sony's group is GG. And now that they got 3rd person down...I'm hoping for a new KILLZONE.

Aintitcool

Banned
What I dream will happen is that Hideo Kojima Directs the next Syphon Filter and we that way get a continuation of metal gear type games.

amdb00mer

PSX, the third half of the story???

Seriously, I hate remasters, but I would be willing to make an exception for a Socom 1/2 bundled remaster on PS4.

Top Bottom