• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

Darkman M

Hmm maybe i need to give it a second go... character models seemed kinda blocky to me on first sight and i spent no more then 5 mins playing it.

Ramenman

Darkman M said:
Hmm maybe i need to give it a second go... character models seemed kinda blocky to me on first sight and i spent no more then 5 mins playing it.

Blocky is the style, Grunty saw you coming : "Is it just me or is your nose square? the fans will hate it, you butt-ugly bear" :p

Take a closer look at Showdown Town and Banjoland, especially the metallic things. And yeah, relative absence of jaggies.

I have a 27 inch SD television that works just fine. I sit about six to ten feet away when I play the game.

Guess what? I can't play it because of the damn text. I am not going to expand the size of my television (college student, no monies) and getting closer isn't really helping.

And so, thanks Rare. This demo tells me not to get the game.

It looks fun, graphics are great, but with such small text and no voiceover, there's NO way I can tell what the hell is going on. It might as well be in another language. Does anyone else have this problem (I'm pretty sure there have been discussions in this very thread about it)?

Kuroyume

Banned
As far as I know there are four jiggies

Eyeballs
Race 1
Race 2
Soccer

There's the one game where you have to lunge a jinjo.
There's another game where you have to transport a jinjo in a helicopter.

This opens up the second door to Banjo-Land but when you enter you'll be greeted with a new trailer for the game ending the demo.

There are a bunch of parts scattered throughout the place in the demo. You can also buy parts from Humba.

Darkman M said:

The demo really needs alot of time to sink its hooks into you. The real fun is vehicle building and it takes a bit to get enough parts to do cool stuff.

Ramenman

Brashnir said:
You got them all.

There are two Jinjos. The one you launch and the one you take for a helicopter drive.

And I really hope there's a Jiggy challenge that's just like the first Jinjo in the full game, because that's the kind of mini game I want to try again and again with new vehicles and new ideas.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheUnknownForce said:
I have a 27 inch SD television that works just fine. I sit about six to ten feet away when I play the game.

Guess what? I can't play it because of the damn text. I am not going to expand the size of my television (college student, no monies) and getting closer isn't really helping.

It looks fun, graphics are great, but with such small text and no voiceover, there's NO way I can tell what the hell is going on. It might as well be in another language. Does anyone else have this problem (I'm pretty sure there have been discussions in this very thread about it)?
You can get an XBox 360 VGA adapter and a female->female vga gender changer for about $13 and play it on a computer monitor if the text size is the only thing stopping you.

And Kitty Muffins is right. The vehicle building is the core of the game. The problem I saw in the demo was that you didn't have much incentive to build since the default blueprints did the job just fine.

Tieno

Finally tried the demo, but while playing it I just didn't find the world interesting and I don't really care for creating vehicles. Don't like the look either.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Very disappointed this isnt like the old Banjo, only because we dont have an open world platformer this gen. Banjo could have have triumphed.

However much it lacks in platforming, the vehicles are fun, though I hate how propellers override your land control. Hearing all thec lassic Banjo tunes, especially Rusty Bucket and the Mansion, brought a smile to my face. Can someone tell me what is up with XBLA Banjo? If you preorder can you get it for free or something

Also suffers from Dead Rising syndrome. People with SDTVs are gonna be struggling to see the text and the auto scrolling dialogue didnt help either

Prine

Banned
Also, with the small text combined with the broken english its hard to quickly scan instructions or simple exchanges.

If its broken english it should be voiced, my brain tries to predict the next word as im scanning text. I have to read instructions over and over to understand what Mumbo is saying.

thats my only complaint

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I really think a Banjo platformer is in the works using this same engine. I think it will be "open world" like this and attempt to take platforming games to the next level in visuals and gameplay. Hopefully vehicles could play a factor as well as other new dynamics in gameplay.

VALIS

Wizpig said:
FFFFFFF how can i have missed that?
I got the one on the very top of the tower and then i miss that... :(
Thanks.

I think there are at least 6 or 7 parts boxes in Showdown Town. Anyone know for sure? I'm pretty sure I've found at least 6.

DuckRacer

Has anyone else climbed to the top of the pole on the top of the LOG tower? You can see literally everything in Showdown, it's really cool.

HK-47 said:
However much it lacks in platforming, the vehicles are fun, though I hate how propellers override your land control. Hearing all thec lassic Banjo tunes, especially Rusty Bucket and the Mansion, brought a smile to my face. Can someone tell me what is up with XBLA Banjo? If you preorder can you get it for free or something

Yeah, BK XBL is coming two or three weeks after the initial release, and if you pre-order, you get a card with a code on it to unlock it, free.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Littleberu said:
Yeah, BK XBL is coming two or three weeks after the initial release, and if you pre-order, you get a card with a code on it to unlock it, free.

Thanks. I wanna get this, but damn that one more game on a pile of like 10 and counting, and I dont even have PS3 to worry about!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My worst fears about this came true. And while it's a colorful game, it's still no prettier than a Kameo. I thought the comments here were legit but some people need to put on glasses. The game is kinda subpar from my initial impressions. The 40 dollar price tag seems right for this game. I really wanted to like this too. It's easy to be happy when I'll have Left 4 Dead as well :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LiquidMetal14 said:
My worst fears about this came true. And while it's a colorful game, it's still no prettier than a Kameo. I thought the comments here were legit but some people need to put on glasses. The game is kinda subpar from my initial impressions. The 40 dollar price tag seems right for this game. I really wanted to like this too. It's easy to be happy when I'll have Left 4 Dead as well :D

I think Banjo's the better looking game by far. The artstyle is just more pleasant to look at. Kameo's look didn't appeal to me at all.

Gave this demo another whirl and this time I got the good parts on top of LOG's tower. If the game actually keeps up this pace where you have to do some platforming and exploring to get good parts, it might be a more varied game than I initially thought.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Darunia said:
I think Banjo's the better looking game by far. The artstyle is just more pleasant to look at. Kameo's look didn't appeal to me at all.

Gave this demo another whirl and this time I got the good parts on top of LOG's tower. If the game actually keeps up this pace where you have to do some platforming and exploring to get good parts, it might be a more varied game than I initially thought.
Any reviews or people talking more about platforming sections? I wanna see the ratio in the final. I would still considering buying since it has a lot of charm. And the price tag of course :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Darunia said:

Well, there are numerous other bits and bobs on other roofs around Showdown Town so you might get lucky...

TheUnknownForce said:

George (from Rare) already posted in this thread that they're looking into the text issue for the retail version, so there's a chance the size will be increased in the final game.

Orodreth

Havent had time to play much at all but really enjoyed it. Looks gorgeous and fun to play-

My first try with the vehicles creation was a blast and my pseudo-xwing worked from the beginning.

Any idea if its possible to make more complex maneuvers with the flying vehicles like a 360 turn etc..?

Biggest disappointment of the year without a doubt.

Somehow they managed to make a game without one crucial ingridient.

ANY FUN WHATSOEVER. I MEAN REALLY? GAH, RARE YOU MAKE ME RAGE.

MicVlaD said:
George (from Rare) already posted in this thread that they're looking into the text issue for the retail version, so there's a chance the size will be increased in the final game.

I hope they change more than the size. The font is fucking atrocious!

Fantastical said:
They need to do it like the original Banjo. What was wrong with that?

I think the concept is this: Everything is square-ish in the new Banjo. So they even went ahead and made the font square-ish, too.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You'd trade in higher resolution for a fucking font?

*mind boggles*

There's a blur filter over the XBLA version so a VC version would look better anyway. I just want the original game without any changes or modifications but in high res, without the slowdown and without having to put up with the N64 controllers' broken old analog stick (Plus I love the GCN controller :D)

Nuclear Muffin said:
There's a blur filter over the XBLA version so a VC version would look better anyway. I just want the original game without any changes or modifications but in high res and without having to put up with the N64 controllers' broken old analog stick (Plus I love the GCN controller :D)

Oh yeah you're the "blur filter" guy. Now I get it. How are the bitter tears?

Nuclear Muffin said:
There's a blur filter over the XBLA version so a VC version would look better anyway. I just want the original game without any changes or modifications but in high res and without having to put up with the N64 controllers' broken old analog stick (Plus I love the GCN controller :D)
Oh, you're that lunatic. Nevermind.

Nuclear Muffin said:

The heck do you mean a blur filter? And why would that for whatever reason, only be on XBLA version? That makes no sense :lol

You guys are just bitchin about nothing (except those with SD and George has already said they are looking into it), when the game is released nobody will care.

Lol I can tell I'm not liked around here :lol. I'm not the only picky person around here though, there are other here complaining about the font! If it doesn't bug you then that's good, just enjoy the game!

JRW

What blur filter? The XBLA Banjo trailer looks like a higher res Banjo just like I hoped, Framerate looks more stable than the originals as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People are complaining about the size of the font (I'm home to vote and it IS not readable on the old TV my parents put in my room-- 19" SDTV), not that it is blurry or whatever. Given the choice between VC or XBLA, what advantages does VC offer at all?

Sidzed2

This game has disappointed me very much, or should I say, the demo has.

It has so much going for it; wonderful visuals, amazing music, spot-on Rare-style humour, a very interesting vehicle-creation mechanic, but then it all goes to pot when you actually try playing any of the jiggy challenges.

Where is the fun? All of the jiggy challenges I played were tedious and awful in their design. Only the land/water race was passable. The clanker-eyeball challenge was just insipid, and the soccer challenge was boring. This does not bode well for the full game.

This one is going to wait until a price reduction in a year's time, I think. I was willing to give Rare the benefit of the doubt, but I think they forgot that innovation does not mean fun.

It made me so sad; I really love Banjo-Kazooie *cries moar*.

The funniest part is, I tried a bloody Tomb Raider demo from which I expected terrible things and now I can't wait to buy it. Go figure; what a weird reversal.

Banjo Land doesn't really have a lot to it. There's essentially nothing to explore. I was excited once I found the wings thinking there must be something hidden away somewhere. No dice. There seem to be a lot of pointless platforms littered along the walls. There are no alternate ways of reaching these locations, either.

JRW

Sidzed2 said:
The funniest part is, I tried a bloody Tomb Raider demo from which I expected terrible things and now I can't wait to buy it. Go figure; what a weird reversal.

Ugh I found the Tomb Raider demo pretty terrible (control & camera issues galore) It has awesome visuals but graphics dont make a game.

I'll definitely be purchasing Nuts & Bolts when it retails.

soco

i think Rare is the only game company capable of making so many games that are so polarizing. there's very rarely some middle ground when it comes to their games.

Sidzed2

JRW said:
Ugh I found the Tomb Raider demo pretty terrible (control & camera issues galore) It has awesome visuals but graphics dont make a game.

I'll definitely be purchasing Nuts & Bolts when it retails.

Different strokes, I guess.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out on GAF to read people's impressions and figure out if the fun factor in the full game is more than that offered by the demo challenges.

I had been planning on getting Nuts & Bolts and pre-ordered (I mean it is an amazing deal) but after playing the demo which I couldn't really get into that much, I'm considering canceling my pre-order and just getting Banjo XBLA when it comes out. Do we know if it's 800 or 1200 points yet?

Top Bottom