• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
much better priced than on dotemu and steam. cossacks 2 and american conquest will be coming along some time as well then. dotemu got all of them in one package almost at same price, and a lot more expensive separately.

Lafazar

Why, have you heard that it's supposed to be coming?

OLVLU.jpg
Source

Nice, I was looking at the D&D anthology on Amazon which has all the D&D for $20. I may get BG2 and Planescape with Temple of Elemental Evil for free.

I bought Baldur's Gate 1 and Neverwinter Nights, got Temple for Elemental Evil for free. 3 games for $10!

I'm pretty sure I have every Troika game now.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I now officially have more games made by Black Isle/Bioware alone that I never need to buy another.

gabbo

Any suggestions for someone who hasn't played any of those games before?
Thinking Planescape, but not sure what to get with it.

I'd go with BG1/BG2 or if you just want to get one, go with BG2. BG2 and Planescape or the best of the bunch. BG2 is really long though, so if you wanted a shorter experience, go with Icewind Dale which is pretty good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Planescape is incredible.

As for which D&D games are worth getting:
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale 1/2
Temple of Elemental Evil

You can skip NWN, Demon Stone & Dragonshard.

Baldur's Gate 2 is generally the safest answer.

I've also been really enjoying Icewind Dale, mainly because it's just dungeons with a thimble's worth of story to follow.

ctrayne

Still hoping for Thief III. Everybody needs to play the Cradle. Though I guess T3 is pretty readily available elsewhere.

Miletius

ToEE is really amazing, especially with the fan patches. There's an extended content fanpatch that is fantastic too since it has a lot of challenging fight scenarios.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

American Conquest has really weird mouse acceleration / lag issues for me. I tried playing it for about an hour on various settings and I never quite got it running in a way where the speed and responsiveness felt quite right. The UI was also pretty poor so the whole thing felt like it wasn't working properly. I would recommend against the game for this reason.

I'm not a huge RTS fan so my point of comparison here would be AoE1/2/Empire Earth as games from around the same period of time.

(Everything I say above relates to the Steam version)

Llyranor

Quick question about some of the space sims on GOG (Freespace 1/2, I-War 1/2), has anyone had any luck playing them on W7 64-bit? I'm a bit hesitant because they're not officially listed as W7-compatible.

Would any of these older games actually be compatible with TrackIR?

wazoo

Quick question about some of the space sims on GOG (Freespace 1/2, I-War 1/2), has anyone had any luck playing them on W7 64-bit? I'm a bit hesitant because they're not officially listed as W7-compatible.

GOG is usually quite pessimistic on the W7 compatibility. Most Gog games (I think Gorky 17 is a hard one) play well on Windows 7.

Most old games do not install well on Windows 7, because of 16 bits installers, but GOG take care of that and then it works ok.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
GOG is usually quite pessimistic on the W7 compatibility. Most Gog games (I think Gorky 17 is a hard one) play well on Windows 7.

Most old games do not install well on Windows 7, because of 16 bits installers, but GOG take care of that and then it works ok.

I don't think that's the word you were looking for. :p

But you're right. I don't think I've had trouble running any GOG titles on W7.

yeah, for me every single game on gog has worked fine. only problem I've had at all with gog games is some of the dosbox games have had weird mouse acceleration. and I've forgotten how to deal with this between each time I've run into it. hehe

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never been able to get Interstate '76 running quite right, but other then that, yea everything works good from GOG that I've gotten.

wazoo

I don't think that's the word you were looking for. :p

could be :)

I had recently quite a few sucess running my old library on Windows 7. Internet is quite good with that.

This weekend, I made a Digital only Windows 7 copy of my old NeverHood disc. Dos games and early Windows games are quite easy to install. I fear that some windows games have problems because of weird hidden bugs that are not reacting the same for different versions of Windows.

I would like to know what games are not possible to run on Windows 7 now. Is there a list somewhere ?

mclem

We seem to be having a bit of a run of releases turning up completely out of the blue.

Apache Longbow

As is usual with flight sims, I'm drawing a complete blank. All I can really say is that I think I've heard of this one.

(Random aside: I wonder if Overlord and its ilk might happen sometime. They were rather fun)

Also note that today's the last day for the D&D promotion, and tomorrow's the last day for the "Buy one get one 10% off" promo for Feb. And no, those don't stack.

oh yeah was thinking about overlord the other day. I barely played the first one, and have never played the second. wouldn't mind having those on gog at all. it's probably codemasters with those, and not triumph? edit: oh yeah, has to be all the spin-offs are by different other studios

mclem

oh yeah was thinking about overlord the other day. I barely played the first one, and have never played the second. wouldn't mind having those on gog at all. it's probably codemasters with those, and not triumph? edit: oh yeah, has to be all the spin-offs are by different other studios

Not actually the Overlord I was thinking about! I'm thinking of the WW2 flight sim from Rowan Studios. There was also a WW1 one (Dawn Patrol) and a fantasy universe one (Air Power). They had *great* campaign modes (If I remember right, you were assigned a target per mission, but you could pretty much attack anything in the area and and damage you deal would persist between sorties)

RPS on Air Power: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/09/mount-c-cairpower/

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do such old games of this type run smoothly these days?

I could forgive/like their ancient visuals as long as they don't run with like 10-20 fps or similar.

Although I'm not into sims at all, just for future reference and for other more arcadey games.

wazoo

it is the dos version, not the win 95 with Glide support :(

As for your question, dos games running under dosbox can be quite taxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom