• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn title but w/ full voice) announced for 3DS

Sophia

I can't speak for SMT2, but I wouldn't really know how it's like FFX. It's not that different from SOUL HACKERS, except you have more control over your party (at least SOUL HACKERS isn't as bad as the original DEVIL SUMMONER was in terms of punishing you for attempting to select your own moves). You pick the moves for your entire party, and then stats determine who goes first.

I haven't played the original Devil Summoner, so I can't comment on it. Persona 2's got that system where you can adjust the turn order and all, in a manner similar to FFX's turn order bar. Heck, they even added the aformentioned bar to the PSP remakes. =P

I forced myself to beat it, but I found the dungeons so horribly bland that it often felt like a chore. The fact that their Sega Saturn game released the same year (I think) had more sophisticated graphics says a lot about the effort that went into Persona.

Well, it seems Persona was kind of an experiment of sorts, and one that didn't pay off until Persona 3 years later.

Gameplay scans are out. The party status bar has faces on it. Bottom screen is automap.

e: Haha, looks like they're using the Kaneko art for The Hero.

Aeana

I like the UI adjustments. I'm actually disappointed with the way the map looks on the bottom screen, since it just looks like the one that was already in the game. Oh well.

Sophia

Gameplay scans are out. The party status bar has faces on it. Bottom screen is automap.

e: Haha, looks like they're using the Kaneko art for The Hero.

Because only the most badass of protagonists get Kaneko art!

(Soejima's art has the unfortunate sideffect of making Hitomi look even more prudish than she already was... >_>)

I haven't played the original Devil Summoner, so I can't comment on it. Persona 2's got that system where you can adjust the turn order and all, in a manner similar to FFX's turn order bar. Heck, they even added the aformentioned bar to the PSP remakes. =P

In FFX, the turn bar has the effect of showing you who's up next because you select character moves individual turn by individual turn.

P2 doesn't work like that. You select moves as a party (this is why "fusion" spells work) and then enact them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetEEYzjAKs

You can see the words "act" and "next" above character names, but that's just more or less for the benefit of letting you know who will go next if you're on the edge of your seat.

Sophia

In FFX, the turn bar has the effect of showing you who's up next because you select character moves individual turn by individual turn.

P2 doesn't work like that. You select moves as a party (this is why "fusion" spells work) and then enact them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetEEYzjAKs

You can see the words "act" and "next" above character names, but that's just more or less for the benefit of letting you know who will go next if you're on the edge of your seat.

*points to Order in the menu*

You can change the order of who acts there. :p If I'm not mistaken, the remake even shows you how adjusting the turn order will affect the enemy's actions.

And I am not mistaken!

sfried

That is a good question. Even if you stick to Nintendo's own games you have, bare minimum, four amazing games to play.
Four? Which four are you talking about?
If Kid Icarus Uprising isn't one of them, then your argument is not valid.

*points to Order in the menu*

You can change the order of who acts there. :p If I'm not mistaken, the remake even shows you how adjusting the turn order will affect the enemy's actions.

Ah you're right. I had forgotten. Regardless, it's still a different function than FFX.

Personally, I'd say that Persona 2 has aged far better than most other ATLUS games of the age due to the 3rd person style, more coherent storytelling format (the storytelling in the Devil Summoner games can be pretty obscure), and overall simplicity. Most other ATLUS games of the era had been a pretty mixed bag in terms of graphical presentation. Some of this can be attributed to Persona 2 being designed a lot more like other Playstation JRPGs at the time (Grandia, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears), rather than a dungeon crawler.

That is a good question. Even if you stick to Nintendo's own games you have, bare minimum, four amazing games to play.

I'm debating selling my 3DS just so I can replace it with a Japanese one. Maybe it'd be worth it not to have to sit on the edge of my seat to see if games are going to be localized or not.

Sophia

Four? Which four are you talking about?
If Kid Icarus Uprising isn't one of them, then your argument is not valid.

Star Fox 64, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and
Kid Icarus of course!

And this assumes you just limit yourself to Nintendo games. There's already a pretty good RPG (Tales of the Abyss), an amazing survival horror (Resident Evil), the upcoming Fire Emblem and Bravely Default, and god knows how many fighting games. Not to mention Soul Hackers and all the downloadable stuff!

Revelations a decent throwback to the old games, even if the action component supersedes the horror in the end. The parts of the game that are horror are often really strong in execution and it has some pretty iconic boss fights.

Sophia

Ah you're right. I had forgotten. Regardless, it's still a different function than FFX.

Personally, I'd say that Persona 2 has aged far better than most other ATLUS games of the age due to the 3rd person style, more coherent storytelling format (the storytelling in the Devil Summoner games can be pretty obscure), and overall simplicity. Most other ATLUS games of the era had been a pretty mixed bag in terms of graphical presentation. Some of this can be attributed to Persona 2 being designed a lot more like other Playstation JRPGs at the time (Grandia, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears), rather than a dungeon crawler.

Outside of fusion attacks (which really just skip turns for a powerful attack), the battle's pretty much on an individual turn based system like FFX. It's really the same system, but with SMT2 rules as the base.

I do agree it holds up better than say Persona 1 (or probably the first Devil Summoner?), but that's not saying much given the UI was still all sorts of terrible in the original release. >.<;

Outside of fusion attacks (which really just skip turns for a powerful attack), the battle's pretty much on an individual turn based system like FFX. It's really the same system, but with SMT2 rules as the base.

I do agree it holds up better than say Persona 1 (or probably the first Devil Summoner?), but that's not saying much given the UI was still all sorts of terrible in the original release. >.<;

But you select all of your turns at once ... As opposed to games like FFX or Xenosaga where you select your moves character by character, just before you execute them to respond to the battle differently as circumstances change.

I don't remember having any problems with the UI. It was definitely "creative" in terms of execution, but I found it intuitive enough.

vall03

dont think this is posted already but andriasang posted new details

- Opening animation from Satelite
- Shorter load times
- Animations for battles
- Full voice conversion featuring a major voice cast

Sophia

Hell, just Nintendo titles like that shows flaws: OoT is at least equal to SF64 there.

I completely forgot about OoT, but you're right. Sadly, my desire for OMFG STARFOX 64 ON THE GO wins out over my desire for OoT on the go. D:

Jucksalbe

Banned
Very nice. I'm confident this will release in English sooner than the fan translation would have.
I haven't really played the original game, so any improvement they make is just a plus. I would even buy a straight up port.

Nice. And with Ghostlight, we have a change of it hitting Europe.
Ghostlight have been around for a while and we didn't get:
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Overclocked
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Edit: Wow, those are long titles. It's a lot more readable as a list.

Ghostlight have been around for a while and we didn't get:
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Overclock
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Edit: Wow, those are long titles. It's a lot more readable as a list.

We did get the first bolded game (can't remember if Ghostlight published it or not) and the second and third bolded were announced by them recently.

I hope they bring this over, would make me love them even more.

Oh, that's right. I replaced it with Strange Journey instead. I know they considered bringing over Overclocked last summer, but I figured they had scrapped the plans now that it has been so long since it's North American launch.

Have there been any progression with by-passing the region lock on the 3DS yet? Are there R4 carts for it?

Oh, that's right. I replaced it with Strange Journey instead. I know they considered bringing over Overclocked last summer, but I figured they had scrapped the plans now that it has been so long since it's North American launch.

Have there been any progression with by-passing the region lock on the 3DS yet? Are there R4 carts for it?

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/ghostlight-announce-smt-devil-survivor-games

I'm hoping that there is more chance of them bringing out 3DS SMT games considering they wouldn't be losing a bunch of sales from importers due to the region lock.

I missed that news from last week. If that's the case then it's indeed not unlikely that we'll see a European release. Personally, I'm still going to wait for a 3DS with custom firmware before I decide to jump in.

Ah, this is great news!

Too bad I already bought the Ps1 version to play the fan translation.
I hope Gemini doesn't cancel it, even though if an international version does get announced he should at least delay its release.

Intriguing. I'm all for more 3DS RPGs, but how is the game, difficulty-wise? I tried out Overclocked, but that insane difficulty after the first few battles really turned me off of it. >.<

PowderedToast

did the original have any voice work? if not i don't want any, or at the least they should let me turn it off.

i liked the persona 1 remake for PSP, it has some neat characterisation and conceit is still relatively unique for it's genre. probably a lower-tier atlus but still superior to a lot of JRPG's.

Apenheul

Great, I just started my 2nd playthrough of Strange Journey last week to try and get the neutral-path ending. Never played Soul Hackers before but it looks even more interesting than SJ thematically.

Torraz

Go Ghostlight, save us from the horrible region locking.

I don't want Persona 5. It's been a long time since Shin Megami Tensei 3 and Soul Hackers were released.
I want sequels to those.
Persona can wait, they did release too many of them lately.

Wasn't strange journey toutedd to be SMT 4?

Soulhouf

Wasn't strange journey toutedd to be SMT 4?

Yes it was meant to be SMT4 but somehow it shifted to something else during the development. Perhaps they removed some parts/ideas to put them in SMT4.
But it's still a spin off of the main Shin Megami Tensei series like Shin Megami Tensei if...

vall03

Only by system warriors. The developers don't consider it to be SMT4, but it's still a game in the main series.

Yes it was meant to be SMT4 but somehow it shifted to something else during the development. Perhaps they removed some parts/ideas to put them in SMT4.
But it's still a spin off of the main Shin Megami Tensei series like Shin Megami Tensei if...

Its the other way around, they considered it as SMTIV early in development and no it didn't shift into something else, they just removed the "IV" because the setting is not in Tokyo. Well, I said my piece, but Im one of those few people who considers SJ as SMTIV.

Aeana

Only by system warriors. The developers don't consider it to be SMT4, but it's still a game in the main series.

People call it SMT4 because Kaneko literally said it would have been called SMT4 if it were set in Tokyo. It's not SMT4 in name, but it certainly is in spirit.

I hope us Europeans don't have to wait a year or two for a European release. Amazing news though.

We did get the first bolded game (can't remember if Ghostlight published it or not) and the second and third bolded were announced by them recently.

It was KOEIs European branch that localized it, NIS and several other Atlus games. Unfortunately they aren't doing that anymore so it is mostly Ghostlight thats left.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Don't want to sound ignorant but what makes this game so great?

I haven't played much of the SMT series, I have Devil Survivor Overclocked but haven't put much time into it yet because of school.

People call it SMT4 because Kaneko literally said it would have been called SMT4 if it were set in Tokyo. It's not SMT4 in name, but it certainly is in spirit.
I've read the same quote many times and I just think it's silly to call the game for something it's not. If the developers believe that the Tokyo setting is an essential criteria, then why not leave it at that? A number doesn't change the quality of the game.

Top Bottom