• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2017)

Finished

latest

even tho Cibola Burn was good, it was way too chaotic. This one is more "grounded" and way more political and intense. Love the series.

Up next

HotHamBoy

vorrh-cover-web.jpg

I don't know why I picked this book off the shelf when I was browsing Barnes and Noble yesterday. I think it's because I'm drawn to interesting covers, especially in a genre that is flooded with generic fantasy art.

This shit is *really* good so far, the writing is fantastic. I've halted everything else I was reading atm.

kswiston

Couldn't decide what to start yesterday, so I just grabbed Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell at random. It is pretty good so far. I haven't read a ton of historical novels set in the 14th century.

aravuus

Urgh. Starting the last third of City of Blades. Man this has taken a while, the first book was SO much more interesting. I'll try to read a chapter a day so I'll be done around this time next week. Initially I was sure I'd move on to other books after this and forget about the Continent for now, but I happened to see the City of Miracles' blurb on goodreads and it looks like it has one of my favorite characters as a protagonist. We'll see next week, I guess.

Anywho, I also realized it's the first time in years I'm NOT reading like 5 books concurrently since I decided to just drop Deadhouse Gates and Harry Potter 4 (both were good, even marvelous at times, just wasn't feeling them), so of course that means I had to pick up a new one.

Went with
615ThvjLqFL.jpg

Absolutely ADORED the humor of the first City Watch book, really enjoyed Neverwhere, I had already bought this months ago and a friend just happened to recommend this earlier today, so I thought why the hell not. Glad to see those 1-2 page long mini chapters return, made Guards Guards very easy to pick up whenever.

Number45

Read the opening two sentences of a new section of Infinite Jest several times earlier today and I have no idea what I was reading. Will try again tomorrow. 🤔

Number45

Away from my Kindle at the moment. Can't even remember what it was roughly about! I do recall it was right after the section that described Mario's "sexual encounter".

Currently in Crete with horrible internets. I'll try and get an update through when I get back to my room.

I'm now in the middle of Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kasey. The first 100 pages are really slow, but now it's turning into something special. He has this unique style where he'll start a scene from one character's perspective and flow into another and back, there will usually be a third "voice" as well that will give context or free associate and jump around in time. It's hard to describe, a little like a 3 part harmony in prose.

In general, the writing is really strong and it's doing a Brothers Karamazov/Absalom Absalom! thing in a logging town in Oregon.

I have to admit I gave up about 100 pages in years ago. All that kept occurring was the words "This not One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

I shall re-evaluate it.

vorrh-cover-web.jpg

I don't know why I picked this book off the shelf when I was browsing Barnes and Noble yesterday. I think it's because I'm drawn to interesting covers, especially in a genre that is flooded with generic fantasy art.

This shit is *really* good so far, the writing is fantastic. I've halted everything else I was reading atm.

Woohoo it's only £0.99p on Amazon.co.uk. Bought.

smisk

Slowly going through The Complete Works of Isaac Babel. He's a good writer and it's interesting from a historical perspective, but I wouldn't say I'm blown away. I wish I had someone to discuss it with, some of the stories can be a bit confusing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finished reading "Sliver" by Ira Levin, it's okay though I feel a lot of element really didn't really add much to the story and feels like that Levin just had the basic plot idea but didn't know how to construct it into a novel.

I am now currently reading Rosemary's Baby by the same author, don't have much to say just yet as I just started reading it last night.

Away from my Kindle at the moment. Can't even remember what it was roughly about! I do recall it was right after the section that described Mario's "sexual encounter".

Currently in Crete with horrible internets. I'll try and get an update through when I get back to my room.

This is a Wardine section - maybe the first, I don't remember, but it's also short. Yeah, not easy, especially if you're not into U.S. slang and whatever. I really wouldn't sweat it, other than Poor Tony might make a very small appearance later (don't remember).

'Patty citizen' *probably* refers to 'Paddy citizen', meaning Irish. The big one, which Wallace attributes to everyone in the novel and I've never heard before (I think he invented it, honestly) is, 'elemonade the Patty's map', which means 'eliminate their map', which means kill them or blow off their face - map being a term for face.

Anyway, this section, of all things, is the very, very least of your worries. Honestly, Infinite Jest is front-loaded with its 'difficulty' (which isn't all THAT bad). The breakthrough is like only a 100 pages away. Eschaton. Remember Eschaton.

It kinda sucks - the longer you take to read IJ, the less it hangs together, I think. But then it's so damn long. I think you get a vague idea the first time around, but it kinda demands a re-read. For reference, I'm 50 and have read thousands of books. This is one of the only two I've ever read twice.

Btw, it's like total serendipity: I found the section you're talking about just randomly opening the book near the beginning. I saw 'USS Millicent Kent' and knew I was in the right place. It was kinda freaky.

I've been reading a Clash of Kings and Inferno.

Gotta say, I like Dan Brown but the formula is pretty stale now. It took almost 200 pages for this book to pick up and talk about anything interesting.

In regards to a Clash of Kings, I'm enjoying the book but I don't know if I can invest time in all 5 books since it looks like Martin we'll never ever finish the series. It's a shame because I loved a game of thrones and from what I've read I really like a Clash of kings and apparently a storm of swords is awesome.

I also really want to give Cryptonomicon another shot. Dude just seems to meander the fuck around. The first 100 pages seemed like nonsense where he was writing just to write. Anyone know when it picks up?

fakefaker

Finished reading The Salt Line by Holly Goddard Jones and other than the first part, the rest of the book was pretty bland. You'd think killer ticks would be super exciting right?

Onto another new book with, Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter.

32600718.jpg

TTG

I've been reading a Clash of Kings and Inferno.

Gotta say, I like Dan Brown but the formula is pretty stale now. It took almost 200 pages for this book to pick up and talk about anything interesting.

In regards to a Clash of Kings, I'm enjoying the book but I don't know if I can invest time in all 5 books since it looks like Martin we'll never ever finish the series. It's a shame because I loved a game of thrones and from what I've read I really like a Clash of kings and apparently a storm of swords is awesome.

I also really want to give Cryptonomicon another shot. Dude just seems to meander the fuck around. The first 100 pages seemed like nonsense where he was writing just to write. Anyone know when it picks up?

If Dan Brown is too slow for you, GRRM and Stephenson are not an improvement. I remember Cryptonomicon picking up after Pearl Harbor, but it's not a thriller and the modern times are slow all the way through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Dan Brown is too slow for you, GRRM and Stephenson are not an improvement. I remember Cryptonomicon picking up after Pearl Harbor, but it's not a thriller and the modern times are slow all the way through. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
He's not slow, it's just that inferno has been but that may be the whole "I woke up and can't remember shit" framing device is handled poorly.

How far in is Pearl Harbor in Cryptonomicon?

Also I had no issue getting through GoT. That shit was pretty brisk because there was always something interesting going on.

Number45

This is a Wardine section - maybe the first, I don't remember, but it's also short. Yeah, not easy, especially if you're not into U.S. slang and whatever. I really wouldn't sweat it, other than Poor Tony might make a very small appearance later (don't remember).

'Patty citizen' *probably* refers to 'Paddy citizen', meaning Irish. The big one, which Wallace attributes to everyone in the novel and I've never heard before (I think he invented it, honestly) is, 'elemonade the Patty's map', which means 'eliminate their map', which means kill them or blow off their face - map being a term for face.

Anyway, this section, of all things, is the very, very least of your worries. Honestly, Infinite Jest is front-loaded with its 'difficulty' (which isn't all THAT bad). The breakthrough is like only a 100 pages away. Eschaton. Remember Eschaton.

It kinda sucks - the longer you take to read IJ, the less it hangs together, I think. But then it's so damn long. I think you get a vague idea the first time around, but it kinda demands a re-read. For reference, I'm 50 and have read thousands of books. This is one of the only two I've ever read twice.

Btw, it's like total serendipity: I found the section you're talking about just randomly opening the book near the beginning. I saw 'USS Millicent Kent' and knew I was in the right place. It was kinda freaky.
Yeah, that's the section (although it's the second Wardine section). Does the book mention what USS stands for? I feel like it does but I've forgotten!

I'm reading when I can at the moment. When I get back home next week I'll have a much more frequent and regimented reading schedule so it'll probably be smoother sailing from then.

I've already marked this as "will need to read again" anyway.

neoanarch

vorrh-cover-web.jpg

I absolutely love this book. There is a sequel... But really I don't see the point. The first book was enough for me. If it's on sale at Amazon then everyone should read it. You will not be disappointed. You will love it.

TTG

He's not slow, it's just that inferno has been but that may be the whole "I woke up and can't remember shit" framing device is handled poorly.

How far in is Pearl Harbor in Cryptonomicon?

Also I had no issue getting through GoT. That shit was pretty brisk because there was always something interesting going on.

Amnesia is a well worn trope, but I liked Inferno a lot. The ending wasn't brilliant, but it's not the end of the world(except for maybe in the book). Those books are like an episode of House or Law and Order to me, yea the patient is going to get worse for 55 minutes until House brilliantly solves the case against all odds, it's what goes on within that formula that makes it fun.

Is Red Rising YA? Because I'm getting very strong YA vibes from it. Its reminding me a lot of Divergent, The Hunger Games, and Ender's Game.

Dec

Is Red Rising YA? Because I'm getting very strong YA vibes from it. Its reminding me a lot of Divergent, The Hunger Games, and Ender's Game.

It is technically not but I'm pretty sure they only did that to attract people that don't like the YA genre. It is basically YA with a few disturbing scenes (
rape
)

It gets decent after the first half, but it felt to me like a book written by marketers.

UCBooties

I'm reading the Sword and Runestaff collection by Michael Moorcock. I read the first Hawkmoon collection last year and I'm finally getting around to the second. I am enjoying it, but I read so sporadically these days that I never seem to finish anything...

Jag

It is technically not but I'm pretty sure they only did that to attract people that don't like the YA genre. It is basically YA with a few disturbing scenes (
rape
)

It gets decent after the first half, but it felt to me like a book written by marketers.

Is it good though? It's next on my reading list.

Kumquat

Went back to read the Blood of Kerensky trilogy again. After I'm done might check if BV Larson has done anything new lately.

Dec

Is it good though? It's next on my reading list.

It's ok. The first half is seriously some uninspired YA shit. After that I think the characters start to shine through and are really the only redeeming quality. Strangely the main character is one of the worst in the book, but there are some constantly nearby interesting ones that you can root for (it has a Hunger Games sort of deathmatch thing but with factions).

I should also mention that I've seen a lot of people post about it here much more positively than I.

Why are you wasting time on this cretin? I just had to.

Also, there's a new Neal Stephenson book out? It's a collaboration with another author, but still. Outrageous Kindle price though, like we're just charging 18$ on Kindle for fiction now?

Ouch. :) My Wallace fandom gets the better of me sometimes.

Stephenson always makes sure his stuff is stupid expensive on Kindle when it's release. Eventually it'll show up in a sale, but he makes his nut at release, for sure.

arkon

Ouch. :) My Wallace fandom gets the better of me sometimes.

Stephenson always makes sure his stuff is stupid expensive on Kindle when it's release. Eventually it'll show up in a sale, but he makes his nut at release, for sure.

I don't think he has much say in the price for his ebooks. That'll be down to the publisher

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
vorrh-cover-web.jpg

I absolutely love this book. There is a sequel... But really I don't see the point. The first book was enough for me. If it's on sale at Amazon then everyone should read it. You will not be disappointed. You will love it.
Sounds dope. Added to my reading queue.

labx

Banned
images

I love this book. From the quick history of how Stoicism became, to be to the implementations of it core principles in this day an age to live a more meaningful life is one of the finest books I've ever read (if you like the history and applications of philosophy)

I really recommend it.

I don't think he has much say in the price for his ebooks. That'll be down to the publisher

Maybe, but he knows and they know that a Stephenson book is going to move a bunch of copies at release, no matter what it costs, so they're all kind of complicit in the gouging.

HotHamBoy

The sequel came out pretty recently, right? I saw that at B&N too. It seems to have just as high of praise.

So far the writing is exquisitely beautiful and I'm gobbling it up. Will probably go directly for the sequel, The Erstwhile, immediately after.

img_5200.jpg

aravuus

Managed to blaze, maybe you'd even call it just skimming at some points, through the rest of City of Blades. Had to force myself to be done with it.

Man. I just can't say I enjoyed it much. It's essentially the same story as the first book, just boring as fuck with a lame protagonist and lame mysteries. Rating it 2 stars after I gave CoS 5 stars feels weird, but it is what it is. "It was ok".

Can't decide if I want to read City of Miracles. Lots of people calling it the weakest one of the three... But then again, lots of people showering City of Blades with praise I simply don't think it deserves at all. I know I'm not buying it right away, at the very least.

Gotta wash this bad taste out of my mouth with some delicious Pratchett x Gaiman humor first.

Jag

Managed to blaze, maybe you'd even call it just skimming at some points, through the rest of City of Blades. Had to force myself to be done with it.

Man. I just can't say I enjoyed it much. It's essentially the same story as the first book, just boring as fuck with a lame protagonist and lame mysteries. Rating it 2 stars after I gave CoS 5 stars feels weird, but it is what it is. "It was ok".

Can't decide if I want to read City of Miracles. Lots of people calling it the weakest one of the three... But then again, lots of people showering City of Blades with praise I simply don't think it deserves at all. I know I'm not buying it right away, at the very least.

Gotta wash this bad taste out of my mouth with some delicious Pratchett x Gaiman humor first.

Almost done with City of Miracles. Weakest of the three. I liked City of Blades better. Not sure how they made Sigrud boring :(

aravuus

Almost done with City of Miracles. Weakest of the three. I liked City of Blades better. Not sure how they made Sigrud boring :(

Damn, that doesn't sound good. Sigrud being the protagonist is the only reason I'd even pick it up after Blades..

I'll add it to my "want to read" list and maybe I'll come back to the world of Divine Cities in a year or two. I'll stick to Good Omens for now, maybe I'll check out the books H.Protagonist recommended to me in some other thread some days ago too.

neoanarch

The sequel came out pretty recently, right? I saw that at B&N too. It seems to have just as high of praise.

So far the writing is exquisitely beautiful and I'm gobbling it up. Will probably go directly for the sequel, The Erstwhile, immediately after.

img_5200.jpg

You make my head hurt.

:)
I just mean Vorhh is so good that you don't need to worry about the second book. I hope it's amazing though. Because we need more books like Vorhh.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hey reading GAF, any short story recommendations? Any genre is fine, so long as they're linked to a website or something. Not looking to search for a short story collection.

Top Bottom