• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I completely forgot you have to pay to play online on consoles

Keinning

Sounds forced to me. You seem to understand that this isn't something that needs to exist, but does, and you choose to play ball. All fine in my book by the way. But knowing that you have to pay a subscription where evidence has proven it is not a hard requirement is definitely forced, regardless of ease, financial or otherwise.

I don't tend to use "forced" for trivial, secondary choices in your life that are not imposed onto you by... force (hence the word), so let's agree to disagree here.

But my (and most of the people before) point is - is it ideal? no. would we rather have it free (as many other things in life, including internet services)? yes. is it free? no. then you pay. end of story.

Caronte

I realized the same when I started playing Bloodborne and realized I would miss all the online part of the game for not paying the subscription.

It's a bit ironic playing on hardware specifically designed for gaming requires you to pay to get access to online gaming, while other general use devices like phones and PCs offer the same and more for free.

ViolentP

I don't tend to use "forced" for trivial, secondary choices in your life that are not imposed onto you by... force (hence the word), so let's agree to disagree here.

But my (and most of the people before) point is - is it ideal? no. would we rather have it free? yes. is it free? no. then you pay. end of story.

If you had an option to play online without a fee, I'd be right there with you. But if you want to play online on your $300+ device, you are forced to subscribe. No other way about it.

watdaeff4

I am not misconstruing those that help validate their position based on the perks. Hell, I try to look at any benefit I can myself when coming to grips with the situation. I speak explicitly of those that defend the pay-model as offering the superior service.

I know we are what....12 pages into this thread so I might be missing some, but I doubt there are more than a half-dozen posters that are flat-out defending it. They are the absolute minority.

*Shudders
You know it's true.

Now, if you subscribe, just hope that you can still get deals like you can currently get on both services.

Keinning

I have a car. But we are obviously talking about subscription fees to play online.

And i have a fridge.

No, we're talking about being forced to do something or not. I have a pc, capable of playing games, some of the games are even the same purchases as my console ones (thanks to play anywhere) and i still pay for live and play on xbox regardless. So i'm not forced to do anything despite still prefering the subscription to be free instead. I just don't find it as troublesome as pc gamers do, weighting the pros and cons of gaming on my console instead to my personal preference.

Also, i'm brazilian. Getting 48 games from GWG alone more than cover the price of the yearly subscription because games are really expensive here in brazil. So there's that too. It's a cost that i shouldn't be bothered with if i cared enough, but the price is not that bothersome to me and i can still take some enjoyment from it to make it feel more meaningful. I'm not saying it's good, i'm not saying they are justified in asking for it, i'm not saying subscribing will be as good for you as it is for me, i'm just saying that its not an issue to me. Sorry for being PART OF THE PROBLEM.

prag16

Banned
I'm sure it has been pointed out already, but it can't hurt to do so again. None of the console manufacturers host the game servers for anyone other than first parties. All third parties have to provide servers on their own dime.

Basically what that money is paying for is (a bad) chat client and a store to sell you shit.

Fortunately almost nobody in this topic is asserting that they need that money to provide the "services". Maybe one or two comments at most. Used to see that argument a lot more.

At this point the reason for the subscription fee is "because they can" and not much more. It's not that big a deal to me; my PS4 is almost entirely for single player exclusives or couch multiplayer for sports games. The few online multiplayer games I play these days work fine on (or are only on) PC.

But again it's shitty that there's this barrier for people like me have a barrier to EVER playing online. Sure the heavy users largely get their money's worth. But for lighter users, they're just fleecing the ones who still pay, or alienating the ones who refuse to.

ViolentP

And i have a fridge.

No, we're talking about being forced to do something or not. I have a pc, capable of playing games, some of the games are even the same purchases as my console ones (thanks to play anywhere) and i still pay for live and play on xbox regardless. So i'm not forced to do anything despite still prefering the subscription to be free instead. I just don't find it as troublesome as pc gamers do, weighting the pros and cons of gaming on my console instead to my personal preference.

I get it. Trust me I do. I am on the same boat. I pay for PSN+ because if I want to play online, I have to. Same exact scenario with you. For you though, it's easier because you can justify it more than I can. But you are absolutely forced to pay if you want to play your console online. Your definition of the word may carry more weight which I also get, but when you have to do something you don't want in order to get something you do, you are absolutely being forced. Your only other available option is to stop wanting what you want.

Also, i'm brazilian. Getting 48 games from GWG alone more than cover the price of the yearly subscription because games are really expensive here in brazil. So there's that too. It's a cost that i shouldn't be bothered with if i cared enough, but the price is not that bothersome to me and i can still take some enjoyment from it to make it feel more meaningful. I'm not saying it's good, i'm not saying they are justified in asking for it, i'm not saying subscribing will be as good for you as it is for me, i'm just saying that its not an issue to me. Sorry for being PART OF THE PROBLEM.

No need to get upset. I am no one to tell you how to spend your money. If you enjoy your investment, by all means go ahead. I am not trying to change that. I just think we owe it to ourselves to be straight about what we are doing is all.

Keinning

Your definition of the word may carry more weight which I also get, but when you have to do something you don't want in order to get something you do, you are absolutely being forced. Your only other available option is to stop wanting what you want.

i'm being as forced to pay live as i'm being forced to buy a playstation because i want to play persona 5.

i don't have a playstation despite really liking the persona series. i still want to play it, too, but the cost of a playstation is not worth for me now. the cost of live, on the other hand, is.

No need to get upset. I am no one to tell you how to spend your money. If you enjoy your investment, by all means go ahead. I am not trying to change that. I just think we owe it to ourselves to be straight about what we are doing is all.

i'm not upset, sorry if i gave you that impression. the discussion is being civil, don't want you to think i'm trying to attack you or anything.

i'm just curious and kinda baffled by how trivial your definition of "forced" is, for something so inconsequential and irrelevant as paying for a gaming subscription or not, and i gave you a pretty clear example of how i'm not. feels weird, like those people who comment on you being sad about something and you say "i'm actually okay" and they insist on how sad you are and how they know about your feelings more than yourself. might be something cultural, though.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And i have a fridge.

not the PC versions of this games that also have free online

ViolentP

i'm not upset, sorry if i gave you that impression. the discussion is being civil, don't want you to think i'm trying to attack you or anything.

i'm just curious and kinda baffled by how trivial your definition of "forced" is, for something so inconsequential and irrelevant as paying for a gaming subscription or not, and i gave you a pretty clear example of how i'm not. feels weird, like those people who comment on you being sad about something and you say "i'm actually okay" and they insist on how sad you are and how they know about your feelings more than yourself. might be something cultural, though.

May very well be. I mean no disrespect. I just utilize the term when someone places an arbitrary requirement without providing any secondary options. That's solely my perspective and I can respect if someone sees it differently.

TripleBee

My ps4 is pretty much a netflix/twitch box at this point - so I get where your coming from.
Luckily all the ps4 exclusives I'd want to play are generally singe player focused.

Remember when netflix used to require Gold. Now that was dumb.

tebunker

Banned
i'm being as forced to pay live as i'm being forced to buy a playstation because i want to play persona 5.

i don't have a playstation despite really liking the persona series. i still want to play it, too, but the cost of a playstation is not worth for me now. the cost of live, on the other hand, is.

Just wanted to comment on the 'forced' thing since it seems you two are a lot closer than you think.

'Main Entry: forced
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: compulsory, strained
Synonyms: affected, artificial, begrudging, binding, bound, coerced, coercive, compelled, conscripted, constrained, contrived, enforced, factitious, false, grudging, inflexible, insincere, involuntary, labored, mandatory, obligatory, peremptory, rigid, slave, stiff, stringent, unnatural, unwilling, wooden
Antonyms: noncompulsory, spontaneous, unforced, voluntary'

I think he is using Forced like Mandatory or Required, where as you're thinking of coerced, bound or compulsory. What a great language right?

As for PS+ being mandatory I think it is totally bollocks. You truly don't get anything of real value. Games like the original Destiny where on PS3 I didn't have to pay and literally buy it a day later when I got a ps4 and i had to pay. It is forced on you if you want to play online. Especially since Sony has proven it wasn't needed.

I would like to know what share of the sub money is used to secure things from pubs. I think that is part of why 360 was platform of choice, and now PS4 and it is also a reason why Nintendo is going that route. Being free didn't move the needle enough for Sony or Nintendo and I am pretty sure larger pubs received $$ from subs for game exclusive stuff or games at all.

Oh well you aren't being forced to pay for the sub, but it still feels scummy...

MazeHaze

Banned
LOL. ok.

Would you mind answering this btw?

Doesn't seem strange at all really. I have Rocket League on PS4 from when it first came out. It's installed right now even though I haven't played it in 2 years. I didn't even get a PC until after Rocket League came out, I have Rocket League on PC now too though.

If some of my friends wanted to play RL, I would def hop on PS4 since that's where all my unlocks and stuff are, and only a couple of my friends have gaming PCs.

Edit: also to stay on topic, having paid online sucks pretty bad If you own multiple consoles and a PC. Having to pay for PS+ just so I can play the odd Battlefront match every couple of weeks or whatever when friends are online is pretty fucking dumb.

watdaeff4

Doesn't seem strange at all really. I have Rocket League on PS4 from when it first came out. It's installed right now even though I haven't played it in 2 years. I didn't even get a PC until after Rocket League came out, I have Rocket League on PC now too though.

If some of my friends wanted to play RL, I would def hop on PS4 since that's where all my unlocks and stuff are, and only a couple of my friends have gaming PCs.

Edit: also to stay on topic, having paid online sucks pretty bad If you own multiple consoles and a PC. Having to pay for PS+ just so I can play the odd Battlefront match every couple of weeks or whatever when friends are online is pretty fucking dumb.
Rocket League came out on Xbox in 2016.

If you don't see how the OP is a bit.....off....then we will agree to disagree.

Jolkien

I can pay my yearly subscription in about an hour and a half of work. Would I prefer it being free ? Of course but they don't owe me anything it's their platform.

Acerac

Banned
LOL seriously? Did I say it was good? I just meant it was better than what it was originally on the 360. Jeezus, get down off your high horse.
Oh, you see I thought you were replying to the thought I had presented, not some unrelated thing. Most of the time when people quote me I assume that is what they are doing, I'm sure you can understand my mistake.

It's like saying that the people who buy Xbox Live prefer dogs over cats. While this may be true, it in no way has any bearing on the conversation.
Lol, where am I justifying paying for PSN? I said I’d rather not pay for it but I do because I have to if I want to play online.

You're one of the very few people I've ever seen use the phrase "watch a free show on Netflix". You and the other handful of people I've seen say this only do so in the context of defending the people who say the games that come with PSN are free.

It's just a bizarre phrase, like something a paid spokesperson would say.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But Nintendo isn't?

Jesus, the Ninty filter.

Honest question, do the people that justify this bullshit know that PC has more and better online services and that they're completely free? They should take a look at that before defending this scam. If they still do it well then you can only assume some kind of sad fanboyism and brand allegiance is at work. Ninty, Shu, in Spencer we trust and all that embarrassing stuff.
Hey if your last to ball your not to blame for it!

Big Nikus

Rocket League came out on Xbox in 2016.

If you don't see how the OP is a bit.....off....then we will agree to disagree.

The OP is off because... what ? He said he wanted to play with his friend and his cousin. So he bought the game on Xbox to play with them.
Not that hard.

Hari Seldon

I initially justified having a sub cause of the free games, but the PS4 free games were garbage so I dropped that shit a year ago and I have no plans on going back. Paying for Switch online isn't even in the realm of possibility for me, which is why I never will purchase Splatoon or Arms because those things are going to be coasters once they charge for online for them.

Riiiiiiiiight

I'm sure that's exactly how it went
why is buying a game harder to believe than some elaborate lie about who they have been playing xbox this entire time but are now trying to deceive everyone and say that they haven’t so they can make a forum thread about online charges

Nev

Banned
I've got Xbox live and PS+. It's annoying but at least when I play online I don't have to worry about playing against hackers.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not faced with the dilemma to buy wall hacks or something to keep up with opponents.

Sigh.

The biggest ever multiplayer online games in the world are PC exclusive.

The levels of ignorance are reaching levels that are hard to believe. These statements are frankly plain trolling.

Sigh.

The biggest ever multiplayer online games in the world are PC exclusive.

The levels of ignorance are reaching levels that are hard to believe. These statements are frankly plain trolling.
Yeah. And like we all know that there are *never* hackers on console. That would be unthinkable

Then I guess OP just has a serious memory disorder and I apologize for doubting his sincerity

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=196320332
You seriously went through his post history to find an instance of him playing his xbox earlier than 2 years ago? For what reason? What difference does it make to this thread?

You need to go outside

The Hermit

yPV4xzG.gif

Is that bird... Skiing?

mhayes86

I don't pay for it since it would be a waste for me. The only games on PS4 that I utilized online for was Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne with a friend. I also took advantage of the cloud save at the time to backup my save backups from an external disk, then ended my subscription as soon as we finished the games.

Mudcrab

My thoughts exactly. I'm not faced with the dilemma to buy wall hacks or something to keep up with opponents.

I know man its tough I play on PC and I have to spend $1000 a month on hardware upgrades just to play CS:GO and that doesn't even include the weekly $500 wall hack purchases just to have fun in Rocket League!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I just play single player even in games with multi (like fighting games) but I can't just sit back an say "whatevers". Its really incredibly lame ta go from (console/handheld) games not having online, to having free online for 15+ years, to having paid online. Although I care for singleplayer by a wide margin I did give online modes a spin every now an then. Now, never again.

Unless MS/Sony/Nin do something like free online weekends? I kinda recall seeing threads for those about Live last gen here an there. Is that still a thing?

yeah, i can't bring myself to do it anymore

same. I bought my last Sony 12 month+ membership through clenched teeth. not because it was a stretch, but because of the principle of the matter: I play on my PS4 maybe 1 hour a month and on my PC 99% of the time. But I still wanted to keep access to a few PS+ games I got and I wanted to play a little Destiny. Only way to do so is to pay up.

I think this year will be my last year for both XBL and PS+.

The best things in life are free. Thanks, PC. Sorry to have seen Sony and Nintendo follow Microsoft down this road. And no, the free games that I had no interest in and would not have bought generally do not make me feel even better.

Then I guess OP just has a serious memory disorder and I apologize for doubting his sincerity

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=196320332

...my dude... 🤦🏻*♂️🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏾*♂️🤦🏿*♂️🤦*♂️🤦🏿*♂️🤦🏾*♂️🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏼*♂️🤦🏻*♂️

watdaeff4

I don't know why these small details seem so important to you, so what OP didn't really "haven't played a game on xbox for 2 years" instead it's 1 year, or instead he actually played a few times in 2 years
Lol lies get caught up in the small details. He was talking about just last year playing Xbox online in the link I posted and you quoted

But hey like I said. OP is probably sincere and just forgot. I mean it's easy to forget having to pay to play online

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174490818

Lol lies get caught up in the small details. He was talking about just last year playing Xbox online in the link I posted and you quoted

But hey like I said. OP is probably sincere and just forgot. I mean it's easy to forget having to pay to play online

You're a weird guy. Don't let me stop you, but know that you look really weird right now. This has nothing to do with the essential point of his story, whether his dates are precise or not. It *feels* like I haven't played my XBone in 2 or 3 years, but I've probably fired it up once or twice for some Maaaaahvel or something. His point remains. You staunchly not seeing the forest for the trees is rather impressive. To say nothing of your stalker-ish behavior.

again small unimportant details you're focusing on when it has little to do with his points, I would say I haven't paid for XBLG in years too, but in reality I have took a few of these $1/month deals, 2-3 day free trial codes, and took advantage the few days MS made it free

You should realise that while you think you’re “exposing” someone else, you’re just embarrassing yourself

that post is over *two* years old. like what are you even trying to achieve

watdaeff4

If you guys don't realize the entire premise of this thread was a troll concern thread. (I.e. he "forgot" that you had to pay to play online) and he was being insincere.......then ok. Carry on.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you guys don't realize the entire premise of this thread was a troll concern thread. (I.e. he "forgot" that you had to pay to play online) and he was being insincere.......then ok. Carry on.

The posts you quote actually proves that he has a xbox. Why will he troll a system that he has?

Dude you are coming off weird here

Top Bottom