• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

For the life of me I still can't wrap my head around what the "QoL platform" would even be like.

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.
  • Not something that would displace or directly compete the Wii U or 3DS.
  • ...But it still has to mesh with the rest of their ecosystem to some extent.
  • Implied to have connections to things like health, entertainment, education, exercise, cooking, and domestic stuff.
  • Stands on its own enough that it's considered a "platform" and not just a new group of software and peripherals for existing systems.
The information we have doesn't paint a cohesive picture of anything. Nintendo is basically teasing us with The King in Yellow and we're all gonna lose our minds just from trying to figure out what any of this could possibly mean.

AzaK

Whatever it is we will all probably react like

image.jpg

More like this

naPkI2b.png

For the life of me I still can't wrap my head around what the "QoL platform" would even be like.

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.
  • Implied to have connections to things like health, entertainment, education, exercise, cooking, and domestic things.
  • Stands on its own enough that it's considered a "platform" and not just a new group of software and peripherals for existing systems.
The information we have doesn't paint a cohesive picture of anything. Nintendo is basically teasing us with The King in Yellow and we're all gonna lose our minds just from trying to figure out what any of this could possibly mean.

It could be something that's primarily a software platform with some sort of device attached to a Desktop/Console. At any time you walk up to it, it scans/reads/mind probes you and gives you a health check. It could very well be the vitality sensor upgraded, combined with a software platform to track it all across many devices.

SerodD

iefypFbisGvI4.gif

I could have been a dick by saying shit about you that isn't true like you are doing, but I'd rather just post a Reggie gif and be done with it.

I'm sorry I had to, you made it extremely easy :p.

Deciding on a diferente architecture isn't the problem with the Wii U, underpowered hardware and BS Nintendo decisions on what to focus for a console should be is.

Actually I've been curious about your definition of 'home electronics' since the first time you used it. Now I know. Not that I agree with it, but at least now we have some common ground. So a 'modern desktop' / 'modern laptop' is what you've been referring to. Just to make it clear, you're not referring specifically to Windows PCs, are you?
Not specifically, no. Windows, Linux, Mac.
Which begs the question, are game consoles computers? If yes - why (and why the heck a toaster wouldn't be one)? If no - why not.

Yes, they are computers. They are made up of the same parts of computers and do a lot of the same jobs as computers even though they are more focused on games than anything else. The same could be said for mobile devices(as far as doing the same things and being made of similar stuff), but consoles are much more closely related to PCs, even if that line is blurred everyday.

Rajack

Depends on what you mean by revitalize. Nintendo has time (and games) to make the console profitable. Mario Kart will almost certainly increase sales (though I think the bundle is $30 too high).

But it's obvious it will be a distant third to PS4 and Xbox one.

Some people like to pretend Nintendo won't ever make money on the Wii U

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.
  • Implied to have connections to things like health, entertainment, education, exercise, cooking, and domestic stuff.

My guess is it's all cloud based like Playstation Now but with health services as well, accessible from any device but optimized for a specific Nintendo device (gamepad 2.0)

saturnine

I wonder, could Nintendo release a revision of the Wii U dropping the backward compatibility ? How much would that shave off the retail price ?

Hardware announcement... They're making games for other manufacturer's hardware. Nintendo is announcing they're becoming a 3rd party at E3.

I'm sorry I had to, you made it extremely easy :p.

Deciding on a diferente architecture isn't the problem with the Wii U, underpowered hardware and BS Nintendo decisions on what to focus for a console should be is.

I know, Nintendo understands how PowerPC works, even if it is harder to work with and they could get more out of x86, at least in the short term. Considering how hard it was for them to move on to HD development I think it's best that Nintendo sticks with PowerPC for now, they just need to get some better tools and documentation for third parties.
Sticking with PowerPC will also make it much easier to bring over a lot of the work they've done on Wii U such as engines and emulators for the VC.

Thanks for the responses guys I might give Wii U a try then. Off to Amazon to make my game list.

But can I play the must have Wii games (eg SMG1, DKCR) with Wii U gamepad and no wiimote?

Depends on what you mean by revitalize. Nintendo has time (and games) to make the console profitable. Mario Kart will almost certainly increase sales (though I think the bundle is $30 too high).

But it's obvious it will be a distant third to PS4 and Xbox one.
Yea it depends, yet some act like they know the future but dont know jack. Nintendo will def make it profitable at some point

Trago

I think it's a Wii U hardware revision.

- Slimmer game pad
- Built in hard drive.
- Ethernet Port
- $250 bundled with a game

And before you guys talk about the unsold Wii U's already in stock, they'll implement a new ambassadors program for current Wii U owners up until the release of the revision giving non owners a reason to pick the old system up.

Orayn

Thanks for the responses guys I might give Wii U a try then. Off to Amazon to make my game list.

But can I play the must have Wii games (eg SMG1, DKCR) with Wii U gamepad and no wiimote?

You still need a Wii Remote, though you can use the GamePad as a screen. Wii has the same kind of backwards compatibility as the 3DS, where it literally becomes the older system with minimal to no access to any Wii U features.

MCN

Banned
I wonder, could Nintendo release a revision of the Wii U dropping the backward compatibility ? How much would that shave off the retail price ?

The Backwards compatibility is a side effect of the CPU and GPU being related to the ones used in the Wii. They could not remove BC without changing the entire hardware, essentially.

joseotero

Neo Member
Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN."

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.

So, basically it's a Nintendo branded iPad?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.

It's a smart plushie/robot.

It will play with you.

It will play Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up and all your favorite songs.

It will help you excercise.

It will sing you a song when you're feeling down.

It will call an ambulance when it can't detect a pulse from you.

Same reason you buy any Nintendo console, to play Nintendo games.

I don't give a crap how the system is selling worldwide, I just want to play Mario Kart 8.

That's nice but Nintendo does care they're running a business.

If Nintendo is smart they'll stop doing home consoles and handhelds and just have 1 platform a la Android.

If they made something like the Razer Switchblade or Razer Edge they'd be in business. Honestly Sony is in a better position to deliver a tablet that also does gaming though.

jeffers

Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN."

quoted for extra visibility

JoeM86

Interesting. Thanks Jose.

Can a mod throw this into the topic or the OP just to make sure people see it?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't think Nintendo would reveal their QoL system without warning. It's meant for the general public and I'm not sure a surprise announcement would be the right way to do it. They'd probably call a press conference or release a PR or something, but not reveal it as a "surprise" during E3.

Both the Wii U and 3DS were announced via PR Releases a few months before E3, as well. So unless it's a revision, I don't see a new system being announced at E3 this year.

The Backwards compatibility is a side effect of the CPU and GPU being related to the ones used in the Wii. They could not remove BC without changing the entire hardware, essentially.

It has more to do with the architecture than the actual hardware, though the hardware helps in making the backwards compatibility perfect.

saturnine

Ah, thank you for the information.

Well, my money is on the QoL then.

and we're done here.

Filaipus

Banned
A little bit early for something major in terms of hardware to be announced I think (talking of consoles).

But... We never know.

SerodD

I know, Nintendo understands how PowerPC works, even if it is harder to work with and they could get more out of x86, at least in the short term. Considering how hard it was for them to move on to HD development I think it's best that Nintendo sticks with PowerPC for now, they just need to get some better tools and documentation for third parties.
Sticking with PowerPC will also make it much easier to bring over a lot of the work they've done on Wii U such as engines and emulators for the VC.

I think your spot on, from what we heard from a lot of developers what they really need is way better tools and documentation for third parties, if they make it extremely easy to port games there's no reason not to do it even if they can't selll as much consoles as the others.

Also they should get rid of however decided the Wii U was a good ideia and put someone there that thinks the PS4 is a better one to follow.

Orayn

It's a smart plushie/robot.

It will play with you.

It will play Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up and all your favorite songs.

It will help you excercise.

It will sing you a song when you're feeling down.

It will call an ambulance when it can't detect a pulse from you.

Okay, that probably narrows the possibilities down to Chii from Chobits, Andrew from Bicentennial Man, or a physical manifestation of Hastur. Maybe it's all three and those are just the different SKUs available at launch.

Thanks but what I expect from IGN is to hear things like 'Don't expect revisions to 3DS hardware' in the same month the 3DS XL appears.
www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/nintendo-working-on-future-handheld-generation

• Not a portable.
  • Not a wearable.

Ehh it's probably some kind of system with central processing unit that gathers data from various expansion modules and analyses them giving you some kind of advice about your lifestyle.

Something like gutted down Wii U as central unit plus you conenct to it balance board to log your weight, motion controlers for excercises (and tracking your callories), some aplication/device/3DS to track distance you covered on jogging , something to suggest correct diet and/or track what you are eating and similar crap.

I think it's a Wii U hardware revision.

- Slimmer game pad
- Built in hard drive.
- Ethernet Port
- $250 bundled with a game

And before you guys talk about the unsold Wii U's already in stock, they'll implement a new ambassadors program for current Wii U owners up until the release of the revision giving non owners a reason to pick the old system up.

Don't the current Wii Us have this? Mine does and I know it came out of the box that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom