• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlil

2D Mario is much bigger.

You mean as in it sold more? Then I take back what I said.

I also beleive it has to do with what people want. They anticipate for a HUGE game, me myself was hoping for a F-zero. It will be the only game I will buy and therfor the only reason to buy a WiiU. But it has to have online gameplay. Preferably Online team vs team. It sound weird, but it is something i have been wanting in a F-zero for a long time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
While not directly related to Wii U, voting numbers from the most recent shareholder meeting show some disappointment:

For executives only

Satoru Iwata
Favor: 913,453
Opposite: 83,740
Approval rate: 90.60%

Yoshihiro Mori:
Favor: 947,434
Opposite: 49,758
Approval rate: 93.97%

Shinji Hatano
Favor: 947,366
Opposite: 49,826
Approval rate: 93.96%

Genyo Takeda
Favor: 947,419
Opposite: 49,773

Shigeru Miyamoto
Favor: 947,491
Opposite: 49,701
Approval rate: 93.97

Masaharu Matsumoto
Favor: 952,227
Opposite: 44,965
Approval rate: 94.44%

Eiichi Suzuki
Favor: 951,933
Opposite: 45,259
Approval rate: 94.41%

Tatsumi Kimishima
Favor: 951,859
Opposite: 45,333

Kaoru Takemura
Favor: 951,875
Opposite: 45,317

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/voting_1206.pdf

Last year, Mr. Iwata saw the following numbers:

Favor: 932,379
Opposite: 48,339
Approval rate: 92.89%

His approval rate in 2009 was as high as 96.74%! The Nintendo 3DS issues are probably a huge factor to this decline, but perhaps shareholders weren't too pleased with E3 either.

z0m3le

Banned
It's a Nintendo game. Did I really have to explicitly exclude Nintendo ? And again there was much less competition and the console was a gigantic success, things that might be different this time.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Yeah, you do have to put that qualifier since it's one of the best selling Zeldas, and other Nintendo launch titles that weren't pack ins, didn't fair as well... I think you are pessimistic if you believe 1.3m is the limit for a game like ZombiU, and you are certainly stretching things if you think AC3 might just barely make 2m, Assassin's Creed sells ~8m copies across PS3/360 and PC, even the first one did very well, and the series is expected the break 50m copies with this release, so I'm pretty confident in saying that 2m is possible on Wii U without being overly optimistic.

The very fact that I pointed to 1m sales and said I think it could pull 2m shows that I am grounding my assumptions of sales, I'm not sure what else to say, your opinion that the games won't sell 2m is noted, but I believe you are being pessimistic, but you are entitled to yours.

AntMurda

Well it's nothing concrete that points to it not being SB, unless you want to over analyse. At this point the obvious assumption is that it's SB but I guess we'll find out pretty soon :)

That is obviously not Smash Bros. for those exact same reasons the guy quoted. It is really that easy.

Ideaman is probably a legit source, at least as much as me.

He's also just a shameless self-promoter that loves attention.

You take one with the other with him.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well it's nothing concrete that points to it not being SB, unless you want to over analyse. At this point the obvious assumption is that it's SB but I guess we'll find out pretty soon :)

I think all those points are pretty concrete evidence of the fact that it's not Smash Bros.

For example: did SEGA promote F-Zero GX? Did Capcom promote Zelda: Minish Cap? Did Tecmo or Team Ninja market Metroid Other M (obviously giving interviews doesn't apply here)

Why would Bandai Namco spend marketing $ for the website on a game that Nintendo owns and publishes?

Mass Effect 3
Batman
NG3

These are games that were previously released and are now coming to the Wii-U with some modifications. Do you think more games will follow and if so which ones would you actually want to be released on the Wii-U? Not counting things like AC3 or Darksiders 2 that might be just a little later. I'm referring to games that are already out now.

My list would be:
1. Dragons Dogma
2. Diablo 3
3. Battlefield 3
4. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
5. Minecraft
6. The Witcher 2

since pretty much nobody is picking up our various efforts non-business/non-tech discussion starters, I'll just jump on yours:

- Dragon's Dogma: Agree! I'm really interested in this game and were they to announce a Wii U version, I'd be totally on board! If not then I'm looking to grab it for PS3 once it hits sub-20 bucks. Off-TV Play would be enough for me as a Wii U feature, although Miiverse integration would be nice as well (have your Pawns hang out on your Mii's couch or something^^)!

- Diablo 3: Also agreed. I already have it and stopped playing weeks ago without having finished it (halfway through Act III) but I'd just love to play this with a combination of direct control and touch screen=mouse. You can only ever have 4 skills anyway and then there are the two potion quick select options. Put the skills on the d-pad (4) and the potions on the L/ZL buttons (which would easily allow for left/right-handed switch) and double the skill selects on the touch screen as an option. move your character with the analog stick and and offer the option to use touch control like the mouse.

- Let me add Terraria to your Minecraft!

- I'd love it if a lot of those isometric mouse-controlled PC games would come to Wii U (Sim City says hi!)

I think all those points are pretty concrete evidence of the fact that it's not Smash Bros.

For example: did SEGA promote F-Zero GX? Did Capcom promote Zelda: Minish Cap? Did Tecmo or Team Ninja market Metroid Other M (obviously giving interviews doesn't apply here)

Why would Bandai Namco spend marketing $ for the website on a game that Nintendo owns and publishes?

For me it's not definitive proof that it is or it isn't. I must admit, if SB isn't to be released any time in the next 2 years, then it would seem a bit early.

sakurai-whiteboard-small.jpg

Today series director Masahiro Sakurai tweeted the above pic, saying: “This is what our staff drew on the white board. It’s good!” Yes it is.

Don’t waste your time studying it intently for any new characters though, because there aren’t any. Well, unless you count Mr Saturn but we doubt he’ll be playable this time. And it looks like Mario needs to get some rest, the poor lad’s eyes are all bloodshot.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/219759606463864832

I think with how much they have invested in Gamecube's hardware tech, they will just include it on the GPU die, we've gotten hints to this in the past and looking at those demos last year, they clearly displayed advance lighting, and thanks to Nintendo's screw up with the on stage bird demo, we know that the lighting was a last minute inclusion, which really points to nearly free performance that a fixed function shader would offer.
I wouldn't read that much into it, last years hardware was a target hardware/unfinished platform demonstration after all so they had some kind of control over it (nintendo could arrange to overclock it in order to match the final performance they were expecting, if the code was unoptimized/some last hour effect was dragging the performance down, for instance); the tech demo itself wasn't probably a system pusher at that point, just a "by the book" compilation of what was feasible in real world performance; also since it was rumored to be an off the shelf gpu at that point there's no reason to believe it had any of those effects hardcoded in, or running on a GC gpu variant merged in at that. (Did I misunderstood you? this was what you were suggesting, right? sorry, I'm not too sure)

Performance for an updated and differently clocked gamecube gpu part being and useable as a "fixed function" accelerator would also be a completely different part from the original (not to mention not much effective compared to the rest of the gpu design). I'm sure they probably hardwired some accelerations given the chance, but not through those means; hardwiring a TEV pipeline call interpretator could probably be feasible though.
We have been hearing that the CPU's performance is tied to how much data is being streamed to the tablet, it's not a matter of the GPU not being powerful enough, but the CPU being drain for performance based on whats being displayed on the controller. I believe you might be right about the arm CPU, I think BG told us that the I/O chip was surprisingly strong, which should be an ARM CPU.
Not atypical too, Hollywood on the wii had an ARM9 CPU attached to it, a 243MHz part (running at the same speed as the gpu) which kept the system running whilst off. The whole connect 24 thing, receiving mails and all that, I guess how fast it booted and how the OS never struggled to run can also be attributed to it (with hacks you can take the warning screens and the thing boots just like that); also a security measure, since crashing it would be harder if not only it was running as a separate process, but also elsewhere.
Yeah, from what I hear, it's ~600GFLOPs, which definitely fits with the more powerful than current gen rumors even if we hear a lot of reports about the CPU being underwhelming. Still I like to think of what PS360 can do with ~250GFLOPs, personally that makes me feel a lot better about what Wii U is offering.
Shame they didn't aim a little higher, still respectable though. Problem is not how it compares to current gen platforms, it's how it'll compare to "next gen" platforms from other manufacturers. I wish they had went with 75% of the minimum throughput expected from them (1.2 Gflops) not half (50%).

CPU is probably fine, just different to what developers are used to at this point and not that impressive when it comes to clocks. But let's just say this, current gen cpu's kinda suck, devs just learned how to use them over time, because their realworld performance is really weak outside of whetstones/gflops. Hell, most multiplat games only use one core for easy porting over to the PS3 (lots of games don't touch the SPE's leaving a single core behind).

It's kinda like how PS2 had a ton of fillrate on the CPU and Nintendo and Microsoft said "screw that, we'll use the GPU for that" (and they were right). The CPU fillrate for GC and Xbox was roughly 1/3 of PS2's CPU, and it really didn't matter providing you were not running the same code/trying to do the same thing the same way.

Of course, some devs actually tried, it has been said MGS2 slowdown on Xbox was due to the rain (big part of the game having it) particle system being run on the CPU. Despite not being as powerfull in floating point though, they kicked PS2's CPU when it came to CPU tasks big time. I expect that to happen here as well, after all it's power7 based and seemingly not simplified (out of order execution being there). Should be a much better CPU actually.

Devs are probably complaining because if they had written that code to take advantage of said platforms they might actually have a little bit less performance this way; that doesn't mean that way of doing things would be their first choice if they were not developing for aforementioned platforms though.

http://www.gamespot.com/red-steel/reviews/red-steel-review-6162018/ 5.5 game... out of 10, and it sold 1.3m ZombiU is a Zombie game and looks to be a hell of a lot better than 5.5, and AC3 should have no problem hitting 2m, now I said I think 2m or more, so if you think that's being optimistic, I only have to point to those ratings to show just how weird that comes off.

I think with how much they have invested in Gamecube's hardware tech, they will just include it on the GPU die, we've gotten hints to this in the past and looking at those demos last year, they clearly displayed advance lighting, and thanks to Nintendo's screw up with the on stage bird demo, we know that the lighting was a last minute inclusion, which really points to nearly free performance that a fixed function shader would offer.

We have been hearing that the CPU's performance is tied to how much data is being streamed to the tablet, it's not a matter of the GPU not being powerful enough, but the CPU being drain for performance based on whats being displayed on the controller. I believe you might be right about the arm CPU, I think BG told us that the I/O chip was surprisingly strong, which should be an ARM CPU.

Yeah, from what I hear, it's ~600GFLOPs, which definitely fits with the more powerful than current gen rumors even if we hear a lot of reports about the CPU being underwhelming. Still I like to think of what PS360 can do with ~250GFLOPs, personally that makes me feel a lot better about what Wii U is offering.

Now, you have a source too, z0m3le? Sheesh, I'm starting to feel left out here! :p

But ~600 GFLOPS seems about right to me. If we take the 120 Mhz DSP as a base multiplier, 640 shader units (as in the dev kits) at 480 Mhz gets you about 618 GFLOPS. Considering that some of the SPUs will be used for compute functions as well as rendering to the Gamepad, it would make sense of what we've seen of the games so far. It would also probably only draw about 25 watts or so at 32nm, if we use the e6760 for reference.

z0m3le

Banned
Now, you have a source too, z0m3le? Sheesh, I'm starting to feel left out here! :p

But ~600 GFLOPS seems about right to me. If we take the 120 Mhz DSP as a base multiplier, 640 shader units (as in the dev kits) at 480 Mhz gets you about 618 GFLOPS. Considering that some of the SPUs will be used for compute functions as well as rendering to the Gamepad, it would make sense of what we've seen of the games so far.
that sounds about right, I'm not sure which side of 600 it fell on, not that that would really mean much.

Also, my "source" didn't whisper it in my ear, others did hear him, he just didn't say it in here, I'd say more but I've been asked not to.

The problem is that people will want new characters, and that means characters need to be cut, which makes a lot of people angry. People still haven't gotten over Mewtwo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know this is absolutely shocking, but Skylanders confirmed for Wii U in the latest Nintendo Power TOC.

TunaLover

I know this is absolutely shocking, but Skylanders confirmed for Wii U in the latest Nintendo Power TOC.
I wonder why they didn't announce it during E3, hopefuly more games are announced in the future =)

Oh and about Smash characters, I just want they add Saki, Airan, Isa or Kachi from Sin & Punishment.

Earendil

The problem is that people will want new characters, and that means characters need to be cut, which makes a lot of people angry. People still haven't gotten over Mewtwo.

People also tend to cry a lot over things for far longer than they should.

I've cried for years that we haven't gotten a LttP style Zelda game on a console. *sniff*

D-e-f-

Banned

I've cried for years that we haven't gotten a LttP style Zelda game on a console. *sniff*

I'm still crying.

Four Swords Adventure was a nice gesture but it ultimately only made me want a proper game in that style even more.

AzaK

Here's a question to stir conversation:
How much would you pay to "borrow" a Wii U and one of the Demo games until it launches this Holiday? Which game demo would you want to play over the Summer and Fall?
*Note: You would not be allowed to do a tear-down on the hardware and you have to give it all back on the day it launches.
$20. I'm not to excited at the moment but it'd be cool to play with the GamePad.

Hi everyone!!
Seems that there is nothing really new to speculate about.....

<snip>

So putting all that together, maybe Wii U will be way more powerful than some of us thought and maybe EPIC will release a UE4 game for WiiUs release - that would be IMO beside GTAV the only best way to convince core gamers about the console.
I'm sorry if I confuse some of you but there are so many things running through my head and since thats a speculation thread...
Hi, you're insane.

:)

What is the biggest thing programmers/developers complained about this generation, outside of the Cell (and generally poor IPC of both HD consoles' CPUs)?

GigaFLOPticals. Pretty much every week I recall hearing a developer asking for more GigaFLOPticals.

Rösti;39445249 said:
While not directly related to Wii U, voting numbers from the most recent shareholder meeting show some disappointment:

For executives only

Satoru Iwata
Favor: 913,453
Opposite: 83,740
Approval rate: 90.60%

Yoshihiro Mori:
Favor: 947,434
Opposite: 49,758

Shinji Hatano
Favor: 947,366
Opposite: 49,826
Approval rate: 93.96%

Genyo Takeda
Favor: 947,419
Opposite: 49,773

Shigeru Miyamoto
Favor: 947,491
Opposite: 49,701
Approval rate: 93.97

Masaharu Matsumoto
Favor: 952,227
Opposite: 44,965
Approval rate: 94.44%

Eiichi Suzuki
Favor: 951,933
Opposite: 45,259

Tatsumi Kimishima
Favor: 951,859
Opposite: 45,333

Kaoru Takemura
Favor: 951,875
Opposite: 45,317

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/voting_1206.pdf

Last year, Mr. Iwata saw the following numbers:

Favor: 932,379
Opposite: 48,339
Approval rate: 92.89%

His approval rate in 2009 was as high as 96.74%! The Nintendo 3DS issues are probably a huge factor to this decline, but perhaps shareholders weren't too pleased with E3 either.

Man, still a very high rating for Iwata. I was hoping he'd get down to 20% and close to losing his job. I guess the voluntary paycut helped smooth things over.

Nonsense. To be a fan means to want certain things. If you no longer care, then you can't call yourself a fan. It's perfectly reasonable for fans to want more characters in the next Smash game.

Also, I post about getting a 2D Zelda in nearly every "What should Nintendo be doing?" thread that comes up. Nintendo's return to 2D Mario proved to be a good investment. They should continue that by going back to 2D Metroid and Zelda. I think they're better games.

jmizzal

Earendil

Nonsense. To be a fan means to want certain things. If you no longer care, then you can't call yourself a fan. It's perfectly reasonable for fans to want more characters in the next Smash game.

Also, I post about getting a 2D Zelda in nearly every "What should Nintendo be doing?" thread that comes up. Nintendo's return to 2D Mario proved to be a good investment. They should continue that by going back to 2D Metroid and Zelda. I think they're better games.

I was mostly joking.... mostly. lol

@Iwata approval ratings:
I wonder how much of that is because investors are stupid and still want them to put out IOS games?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

As explained, you have to take the Q&A of this thread in a really more light-hearted way man, like nearly all the participants did. For the headers, well, it's a presentation effort, that's all.

And for the rest, you have to study the list more thoroughly, and all is not here. But well, feel free to not believe :)

Now, if we could jump back to interesting speculations.

Ideaman is probably a legit source, at least as much as me.

He's also just a shameless self-promoter that loves attention.

You take one with the other with him.

It's my way to (try to) make my contributions/participation more entertaining, that is felt as attention seeking by a few, but it's really not the case, i'm on internet since 15 years, i'm SO aware than an hypothetic fame that i hypothetically would want will not last, and i'll be forgotten quickly. I have nothing to gain from all that, quite the contrary :)

And i spent the equivalent of a ton of high quality macaroons to retrieve my info so i need to promote and glamorize it before revealing it :p

As explained, you have to take the Q&A of this thread in a really more light-hearted way man. For the headers, well, it's a presentation effort, that's all.

And for the rest, you have to study the list more thoroughly, and all is not here. But well, feel free to not believe :)

Now, if we could jump back to interesting speculations.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27551077&postcount=7659

Are the rumors for Nintendo and the haptic technology dead? Or is it still feasible to believe that they could have that as ammunition for a later date? I'd love for them to have haptic, but again, I doubt it, mostly because it being a cost issue.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27551077&postcount=7659

Are the rumors for Nintendo and the haptic technology dead? Or is it still feasible to believe that they could have that as ammunition for a later date? I'd love for them to have haptic, but again, I doubt it, mostly because it being a cost issue.

As explained since speculation thread 2, third-parties aren't aware at all of a new, secret feature, that could have been hidden to them for Wii U, either for the system prepared for release in a few months, or later. And it's still the case as of June, there is nothing in the notifications, the informations, that they can see in warioworld (the portal for licensed Nintnedo developers), in regard to that.

Now, is Nintendo experimenting new things in their headquarters, surely, i'm not aware of that, my rare contacts in the Japanese industry are totally tight-lipped, and to be honest they aren't that close to Big N.

Personally, i would prefer they choose the virtual reality route for the future, but isolating players with glasses, personal 3D earplugs, yadda yadda, don't fit with their recent philosophy :(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Finally some pages focused on the games! Man, I was thinking that this thread was still too focused on the possible horsepower/graphic of the console.
I mean: we all know what Wi U can and could in the future output in terms of visual quality: slightly better than current HD twins, way less than Orbis and Durango, but with more chance (tech-wise) of getting the downscaled versions of multiplatform titles for the vast majority of the most important engines (compared to the wii)

That said, I would be way more concerned about the positioning of the console on the market, because despite all the Iwata & co declarations, I still think that it will be very similar to the Wii, that means almost no third party support aimed at the male-adult forum gaffer target.

In fact, despite my love for Nintendo games, I'm still far away from the day 1 purchase, due to the lack of perspective of games library for this console...being still here speculating about Cod or Fifa is very scaring, in my opinion.

Up to now, in terms of third party support, Wi U to me is very similar to the dead on arrival-state of PSVita in its first year

schuelma

Up to now, in terms of third party support, Wi U to me is very similar to the dead on arrival-state of PSVita in its first year

Well, we are missing a rather large part of the picture- Japanese 3rd party support. I suspect it will be pretty decent, but right now we can't really say much either way.

donny2112

For third-parties, I just keep going back to Assassin's Creed III at launch. Way better than anything at Wii's launch, and way better than anything at Vita's launch. If BlOps 2 comes out at launch for Wii U, too, then wow. Obviously not that amazing compared to PS360, but compared to Wii, its absolutely astounding. A lot of that comes just from the nature of the development environment nowadays (gotta multi-plat everything to try to get the most sales), but still astounding coming from Wii's third-party support. Everything else besides those two is like icing on a double-layer cake.

schuelma

For third-parties, I just keep going back to Assassin's Creed III at launch. Way better than anything at Wii's launch, and way better than anything at Vita's launch. If BlOps 2 comes out at launch for Wii U, too, then wow. Obviously not that amazing compared to PS360, but compared to Wii, its absolutely astounding. A lot of that comes just from the nature of the development environment nowadays (gotta multi-plat everything to try to get the most sales), but still astounding coming from Wii's third-party support. Everything else besides those two is like icing on a double-layer cake.

I somewhat agree.

I do think the lack of 2013 game confirmations is a bad sign for future support, as is the tidings from ShockingAlberto in this thread. I see no evidence that Western support is going to really be there.

I do think that AC3 is really being overlooked, I guess because has been known for a while. If Ubisoft had been absolutely silent and then revealed AC3 at Nintendo's PC, I think people would be thinking about Nintendo's 3rd party support a bit differently. Ubisoft has made a very big bet on Wii U, especially compared to other companies. I hope they are rewarded.

Meelow

Banned
I feel that Nintendo will need to push for amazing third party support, they have to listen to third party's and give them what they want, Iwata said in July 2011 that they will pay to make sure they get third party support, lets see if they do this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, we are missing a rather large part of the picture- Japanese 3rd party support. I suspect it will be pretty decent, but right now we can't really say much either way.

Yes, of course. But with the system fully presented in TWO different E3 conferences, I'm no more interest in speculaiton and secrecy.
No game announced? no game at all, for me.
When they'll announce something, I'be the happiest of the happy people :)

About Ubisoft, they are supporting the Wii U in a great way, nothing at all to complain about.

Problem is: up to now no other compay jump on the Wii U train.

schuelma

The silence of Capcom and Square-Enix is deafening. After Kojima's comments I suppose we can already write off Konami. Still even with decent Japanese 3rd party support it would at best look okay (though obviously much better than what Wii got).

I cannot imagine Capcom and SE do not have Wii U stuff in the works. Capcom especially has to have some ports on the way. Plus we know SE is bringing DQX to Wii U, which might or might not be significant.

I feel that Nintendo will need to push for amazing third party support, they have to listen to third party's and give them what they want, Iwata said in July 2011 that they will pay to make sure they get third party support, lets see if they do this.
I heard otherwise recently:

Iwata said:
I don&#8217;t think it would be an appropriate course of action for Nintendo to get into a battle with a company like Microsoft over the cost or the expense of trying to go head to head in a situation to try to obtain exclusive rights.

(last month)

If they won't pay for exclusives upfront, how are they willing to pay for multiplatform support? I'm sure they're pushing for it in their own way, but certainly not paying. Microsoft with the Xbox 1 would pay for enhanced ports (otherwise most ports would have been like the ones for gamecube without many enhancements, or like HD remasters albeit in SD, which they weren't) and they also paid extra for DLC, anything; I dunno if that continued with X360 guessing not as it wasn't a very good strategy (but they're still known to pay for exclusive DLC in certain cases).
The silence of Capcom and Square-Enix is deafening. After Kojima's comments I suppose we can already write off Konami. Still even with decent Japanese 3rd party support it would at best look okay (though obviously much better than what Wii got).
What did Kojima say about it?

He's holding his interactive films for betamax 2?

One example would be matching Wii U-specific marketing dollars for select Wii U launch game.

fixed

I think BG told us that the I/O chip was surprisingly strong, which should be an ARM CPU.

I guess it could be viewed in that manner. I pointed out that it has much larger role In Wii U compared to Startet.

~250 GLOPs, DX9-level hardware, and less memory.

donny2112

Wait, they confirmed DQX would be released outside of Japan ?

No, but I'd imagine that Nintendo would publish it in the U.S., like they have with DQIX/VI. Not sure how'd they'd work out the subscription costs, though, and it may just only come out in the U.S. on Wii U to avoid the problems of trying to shoe-horn it in to a dead Wii ecosystem.

That said, Just Dance 4 should still sell millions on Wii this Fall. :lol

Yeah, I think he did use that word, so not all launch games, but probably the bigger ones. :)

JordanN

Banned

(last month)

If they won't pay for exclusives upfront, how are they willing to pay for multiplatform support? I'm sure they're pushing for it in their own way, but certainly not paying. Microsoft with the Xbox 1 would pay for enhanced ports (otherwise most ports would have been like the ones for gamecube without many enhancements, or like HD remasters albeit in SD, which they weren't) and they also paid extra for DLC, anything; I dunno if that continued with X360 guessing not as it wasn't a very good strategy (but they're still known to pay for exclusive DLC in certain cases).
If you read the rest of it he explains.

Iwata said:
However, now we have a totally new device, the Wii U GamePad. If a third-party developer or publisher has come up with an idea of a potentially very unique use of the Wii U functionality with such a device, there is a high possibility that Nintendo will be a partner with that third party in an unprecedented manner (thereby reducing their development risk significantly)."

If you read the rest of it he explains.
Not really, if nintendo partners with them it'll be like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Epic Mickey sort of alliances.

Also ZombiU, I guess.

They'll help promote it and give it air time of their own. It's nice, but it's still not making sure it's on their system to the point of paying for it; otherwise they'd be going after Take2 after that core gamer game support silly remark. Perhaps Take2 was waiting for some money actually, wouldn't be the first time they bend to it at least when it comes to DLC.

Meelow

Banned

(last month)

If they won't pay for exclusives upfront, how are they willing to pay for multiplatform support? I'm sure they're pushing for it in their own way, but certainly not paying. Microsoft with the Xbox 1 would pay for enhanced ports (otherwise most ports would have been like the ones for gamecube without many enhancements, or like HD remasters albeit in SD, which they weren't) and they also paid extra for DLC, anything; I dunno if that continued with X360 guessing not as it wasn't a very good strategy (but they're still known to pay for exclusive DLC in certain cases).What did Kojima say about it?

He's holding his interactive films for betamax 2?

They might not pay for exclusives but they will pay to get third party support, that's what Nintendo keeps repeating and saying "It's very important for the Wii U to have tons of third party support

BlackJace

Man, still a very high rating for Iwata. I was hoping he'd get down to 20% and close to losing his job. I guess the voluntary paycut helped smooth things over.

I question Iwata's practices a lot, but wishing for someone to lose their job in this day and age seems kinda fucked up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom