• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMeph

I'm in at this price point. Oculus's own website seems to charge sales tax as well, so I just went with Best Buy for the extra EVE Valkyrie on top.

120v

Can we assume there is a second generation coming soonish?

really depends on how much of "generational leap" they plan on making. wireless is still too early, and assuming you've got higher resolution and foveated rendering it's still going to be priced way out of the "mainstream" comfort zone

in this case oculus is being aggressive with pricing just to catch up with Vive

TheDragon

I am very tempted to ask my friend who is in US right now to buy this for me. Just wanted to know if this price is worth forgoing the warranty. Thanks.

Can we assume there is a second generation coming soonish?

There is a second generation of the Vive coming. They have new controllers and lighthouses that should be coming out towards the end of the year or next year. Developers are just getting them now. The controllers will be backwards compatible, but the tracking will be updated on the lighthouses and will not be.

I have not heard anything from Oculus, but there is a lot of movement on other VR headsets at lower price points. That and Vive has more of the market share. They are just trying to grab customers before the market gets flooded with the cheaper VR variants.

IrishNinja

I got banned for this so I would take things like this outside. Also he is not with Oculus anymore.

i know, but im still not about to support a product with his name even loosely attached
if that gets me banned, so bet it

Can you virtue signal some more bro?

real talk, you gotta be a high-tier d-bag to use a phrase like virtue signal man, might as well call me a SJW cuck & be done with it b
ive seen you in numerous threads with suspect opinions, let's leave it at that

sfried

I'm sorry guys...

I bit. I love space sims and wanted to play Even Valkyrie. Also I have Elite Dangerous and a VR experience is all but missing from how I play it. I know there are people who hate Oculus because of their founder (which I do not condone nor support)...but if it wasn't for the Rift Kickstarter, there woud'nt be as much of a push for VR as there is now.

Hip Hop

i know, but im still not about to support a product with his name even loosely attached
if that gets me banned, so bet it

real talk, you gotta be a high-tier d-bag to use a phrase like virtue signal man, might as well call me a SJW cuck & be done with it b
ive seen you in numerous threads with suspect opinions, let's leave it at that

You're going hard on some BS that isn't even relevant to this thread for no reason, and you don't give a shit about the item, it's pointless.

Wollan

There's crappy people most anywhere. As it is Palmer has left Oculus and hasn't been part of it for months (I mean, he was the founder and a big reason for the modern VR push, removing him wasn't a small thing). Seems a bit much to still keep a grudge for Oculus at this point with excellent people like Michael Abrash and John Carmack heading it.

Though I can understand protests in regards to dividing the PC VR market this early on with exclusives (then again, Oculus is putting a lot of money into the VR software ecosystem and substantially more than Valve from my impressions).

IrishNinja

You're going hard on some BS that isn't even relevant to this thread for no reason, and you don't give a shit about the item, it's pointless.

yeah? this product is highly tied to a problematic douchebag known for openly supporting trump & alt-right bullshit. in a marketplace with other options, i feel no compulsion to bite to anything with this grubby mitts even remotely attached, and that seems to rustle your jimmies for whatever reason.

when questioned about any of this a while back, occulus wanted investors to stay quiet & walk on by like dionne warwick. i'm not letting that & the normalization/abiding of the alt-right slide, and neither are some others - this isn't complicated.

There's crappy people most anywhere.

oh okay, i guess context doesn't matter and we should abide whatever cause reasons, good point

nope, he "decided to leave" FB in March.

You can support Oculus again without having to worry about supporting that flip-flop wearing alt-right clown.

this is a solid post, but again, i don't wanna support a corporate culture that abided his bullshit either, personally. not judging those who do, but there's a conversation worth having around the hip hops of this thread

sfried

There's crappy people most anywhere. As it is Palmer has left Oculus and hasn't been part of it for months. Seems a bit much to still keep a grudge for Oculus at this point with excellent people like Michael Abrash and John Carmack heading it.

Though I can understand protests in regards to dividing the PC VR market this early on with exclusives.
It's about as bad as forbidding yourself to never watch the film adaptation to Ender's Game.

But yeah, there's Carmack and others who work at Oculus and still don't share the former-founder's viewpoints.

Chumley

Banned
I'm sorry guys...

I bit. I love space sims and wanted to play Even Valkyrie. Also I have Elite Dangerous and a VR experience is all but missing from how I play it. I know there are people who hate Oculus because of their founder (which I do not condone nor support)...but if it wasn't for the Rift Kickstarter, there woud'nt be as much of a push for VR as there is now.

I'm also excited to finally try out Adr1ft, though I wish Oculus Touch worked on that game.

Chumley

Banned
Adr1ft is vomit inducing.

wcKAZcH.gif

yeah? this product is highly tied to a problematic douchebag known for openly supporting trump & alt-right bullshit. in a marketplace with other options, i feel no compulsion to bite to anything with this grubby mitts even remotely attached, and that seems to rustle your jimmies for whatever reason.

when questioned about any of this a while back, occulus wanted investors to stay quiet & walk on by like dionne warwick. i'm not letting that & the normalization/abiding of the alt-right slide, and neither are some others - this isn't complicated.

They fired him. What else do you want.

Impulsor

There is a second generation of the Vive coming. They have new controllers and lighthouses that should be coming out towards the end of the year or next year. Developers are just getting them now. The controllers will be backwards compatible, but the tracking will be updated on the lighthouses and will not be.

I have not heard anything from Oculus, but there is a lot of movement on other VR headsets at lower price points. That and Vive has more of the market share. They are just trying to grab customers before the market gets flooded with the cheaper VR variants.

Will VIVE update the headset too or only the lighthouses and controllers?

Theonik

No

A 1060 is close to the 980. a 970 is behind that.

A 1070 is not between, but its better than a 980ti.

a 1080 is not even near any of that.
A 1060 is slightly faster than the 970, a 1050 is slightly lower so you need a 1060 really and the savings are pretty low. Now a 1070 is about at the level of the 980Ti maybe faster under certain circumstances but not significantly so. A 1080 is about 30% faster than a 980Ti. A 1080Ti of course is a different beast entirely and gets about 2x the performance of a 980Ti in some cases.
So this is not a question of whether the 10xx series is faster, it is, it's a question of what equivalent cards are and what makes worthwhile upgrades. You won't replace a 970 with a 1050. And replacing a 980Ti with a 1070 is a waste of time too.

But VR is still doable with a 970, right? I wouldn't be ready to change GPU just for this.
Of course, but the poster I was originally replying to was looking at what card to get in order to meet Oculus requirements. If you have a 970 the 1060 won't be a huge upgrade for you.

Wollan

It will go wireless with the next update. There's a peripheral launching soon but Gabe Newell said he expected it to be included standard from 2018.
There will very likely be a wireless Vive 2.0 with their new Knuckles controller (finger-tracking) releasing in 2018.

Impulsor

It will go wireless with the next update. There's a perhiperal launching soon but Gabe Newell said he expected it to be standard from 2018.

So at the end of this year they are realising updated tracking and next year wireless headset?

Wollan

So at the end of this year they are realising updated tracking and next year wireless headset?
We can only speculate on dates but I'm expecting Vive to have received new versions of all its devices before next summer.
Knuckes controllers are with devs now. Wireless peripheral launching soon for current Vive, Gabe newell stating wireless VR headsets standard from 2018. All we know.

Linkup

Perfect timing for Lone Echo/Echo Arena.

They just put the launch trailer out for Lone Echo too.

Lucky's Tale, Dead n Buried, Robo Recall, Rip Coil, Herobound, and Echo Arena is a good way to further take the edge off of the $401. I'm kind of hoping this was all done to really push Echo Arena because it's that good.

I played Robo Recall a few weeks back. With touch controllers. It was cool, but I still dont think the tech is there yet.

I am still just going to wait for next gen headsets.

With the new lighthouses they will not be using a sync blinker, so it will require a new headset to work with them and new controllers. It is possible HTC will not adopt this for some time. It could be for other manufacturers headsets, as it is a valve creation. Really though, the market is small so do not expect any setup to be abandoned.

I would hope that when they update the tracking, they also include the Deluxe Audio Strap, knuckle controllers, and hopefully a better screen. Everything is guessing at this point as nothing solid has been announced.

Here is a good rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWLqjJX4dhU

I'm tempted at this price, which games do you guys think are the best with the headset+touch controllers?

Superhot, Raw Data, Sairento, and Robo Recall are worth a play through.

ryushe

Just how much better is the Rift compared to the PSVR?

I own the PSVR and while I enjoyed my time with it (mainly only Rez) the tech just isn't there yet. Even with the PS4 Pro. I know I do enjoy VR, but unless this is a substantial leap over the PSVR, I might just wait until it's either cheaper or another refresh comes along.

Melon Husk

Rift 2 coming soon?

re: the GPU discussion, an overclocked 970 is comparable to 1060 stock, it would be foolish to upgrade because Oculus says so. Best to wait for 11XX series and/or the Ethereum craze to cool down.

HTC Vive is better though, right?

Depends what you are using it for. Rift is best for seated simulators.

I own the PSVR and while I enjoyed my time with it (mainly only Rez) the tech just isn't there yet. Even with the PS4 Pro. I know I do enjoy VR, but unless this is a substantial leap over the PSVR, I might just wait until it's either cheaper or another refresh comes along.

The headset and tracking is better overall (aside from the design that rests on your head instead of straps) but the real differences are primarily coming from the fact that you're going to be on an open, more powerful platform with a significantly larger library.

Necro900

Fighting really hard to not sell the xbox one + some games (I already have a gaming pc, after all) and get this new toy for 200€.. Right now, I'm convincing myself I really need to watch my (small) 4k blu ray collection.

Have to say the Vive always appealed to me more (room-scale!) than Oculus, but this price.. Help me GAF.

charpunk

The tracking alone is night and day, as well as the graphical fidelity.

Fighting really hard to not sell the xbox one + some games (I already have a gaming pc, after all) and get this new toy for 200€.. Right now, I'm convincing myself I really need to watch my (small) 4k blu ray collection.

Have to say the Vive always appealed to me more (room-scale!) than Oculus, but this price.. Help me GAF.

If you're considering room scale, do one of those three sensor setups. I've never tried it but Oculus users swear by it. You could have a better headset+better controller+comparable room scale experience for around $500

Dezzy

I just bought the Rift last week at Best Buy when they had the deal where it came with a $150 Gift Card. Now it's just a straight $200 which is obviously better, but do you think I could somehow go back and get the difference? I ordered online and did a store pickup.

kenmid

HTC Vive has to drop their price immediately, it's not this is a one day sale for Oculus its for six weeks. I love the my vive but dam a $400 difference.

Cleve

Yeah, fuck it, I'm in. That's the right price point for me, and I got a third sensor. Looking at the thread my 980 (regular) is plenty for it too.

gdt

I've had a rift since launch ish but I stopped picking up software when the Touch got released, and I'm thinking about buying that now. Just the touch. Where is the best place to get one (free games etc) and what are the best oculus touch games right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom