• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetsuya Nomura Expects New Kingdom Hearts Announcement Soon

Kamek

I guess I should have worded it spin-off/side games.

• Days
  • Coded
  • BBS
  • Chain of Memories
  • KH3D

We got/are getting all of these before the next, proper, numbered entry in the series, and now we're talking sequels to these?

BBS and 3DS are as good as numbered entries into the series. BBS, was to be thought of as KH:0.

I'm still pissed as fuck about the lack of simultaneous localization for 3DS. I can't wait until the end of July.

As nice as a 360/PS3/Whatever HD Kingdom Hearts III sounds, I have no trust or faith in SE to actually follow through on such a project with any level of competence.

I just want them finish the series/current story on hardware they can actually complete a game on.

RPGCrazied

So, when do you think we will get this news? I'm guessing E3. This month is going to drag on so slowly. I want to know now! :) Of course whatever it is will just crush me. But if its not 3DS Dream Drop final mix, and its not BBS Vol. 2, what on earth could it be? I'll say its 1 of three things.

1.)Another spinoff, ugh, this time for Vita.
2.)KH HD collection, or just KH 1 HD. Final Mixes would be nice, but I'm sure it'll be the standard versions.
3.)KH 3. But why would they do that before HD collection? He said he wanted to make it easier for people to get into the series, but having all the games spread out on different consoles kinda make it impossible to play them all. Unless your a rich person.

Other than that, I have no idea, a movie? lol

I've never understood the popularity of the KH franchise amongst hardcore gamers. Are the games interesting because you've all grown up with Disney characters and nostalgia is driving you, or do you like the games for their gameplay? I played through most of the first game and quit because I found it just way to boring, and I like RPGs a lot. Why do you like these games?

I've never understood the popularity of the KH franchise amongst hardcore gamers. Are the games interesting because you've all grown up with Disney characters and nostalgia is driving you, or do you like the games for their gameplay? I played through most of the first game and quit because I found it just way to boring, and I like RPGs a lot. Why do you like these games?

Because...I dunno.

They're fun?

You just don't get it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

If I started playing them now I probably wouldn't like them as much, but I was pretty young when the first one came out, and I have really enjoyed them since then. I feel they are getting better being games rather than just interesting because of the Disney + Square characters. BbS's gameplay was very much improved over KH2. The games on DS were crap though (IMO of course, I think some people enjoyed them).

KH3D is supposed to be pretty good as well, and I'm very interested in picking that up.

Skilletor

I find them fun to play.

The disney nostalgia was a draw at one point, but as the series has grown, It's annoying to me playing similar portions of the same disney movies over and over.

I find them fun to play.

The disney nostalgia was a draw at one point, but as the series has grown, It's annoying to me playing similar portions of the same disney movies over and over.

Ultimately I feel the Disney license has become a burden to this series, I wish everything was original in it.

Skilletor

Ultimately I feel the Disney license has become a burden to this series, I wish everything was original in it.

I wouldn't go that far, but I wish they would make more use of other disney stuff like pixar and the disney afternoon cartoons from way back when. I asked in another thread, but it's confusing to me why stuff like ducktales is ignored when they use characters from the show (were huey, duey, and lewie sp? around before ducktales...even so, if they were, that show is likely what people know them from).

Also...gizmoduck.

I wouldn't go that far, but I wish they would make more use of other disney stuff like pixar and the disney afternoon cartoons from way back when. I asked in another thread, but it's confusing to me why stuff like ducktales is ignored when they use characters from the show (were huey, duey, and lewie sp? around before ducktales...even so, if they were, that show is likely what people know them from).

Also...gizmoduck.

Well Huey Duey and Lewie were around from before Ducktales as was Scrooge.

And I really don't know why they don't want to use any of the shows, same reason there are no rides based on the shows at Disney World I guess.

ZenaxPure

If I started playing them now I probably wouldn't like them as much, but I was pretty young when the first one came out, and I have really enjoyed them since then. I feel they are getting better being games rather than just interesting because of the Disney + Square characters. BbS's gameplay was very much improved over KH2. The games on DS were crap though (IMO of course, I think some people enjoyed them).

KH3D is supposed to be pretty good as well, and I'm very interested in picking that up.

I think this is how I feel as well, mostly.

Though I would say back when the first game came out I had not played any other action rpg with better or worse gameplay than it so for its time it was fun. KH2 on the other hand I couldn't get into. Birth By Sleep, though, was indeed the first time where it really felt like they had gotten things together and made a fun action rpg that was enough to carry the rest of the game. It's a weird situation for sure, by today's standards I think the only ones I'd suggest playing for "fun" is BBS
and RE:coded, haters gonna hate!
, most of the other games aren't very fun to actually play imo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I feel the exact opposite. I think they could replace every original character with Disney characters and it would be far more faithful to the original. All these original characters have taken a series that was a light hearted story of a boy and his friends going to save his other friends and turned it into something unnecessarily convoluted.

It's also a major reason why the soundtracks are so good.

jorgeton

I hate Disney (except for Tron: Legacy), have no nostalgia attached to their characters, but I really like the KH games. They're very fun. KH:BBS was a masterpiece. The command deck is pretty brilliant as was the level-up board game, and the story, while melodramatic and cheesy, was super-involving and a downer. Which I always appreciate.

And I recently picked up Re:Coded on the DS and that has its moments as well. Not good for story, but it's a fun action RPG to throw on when you need to wind down.

Kamek

I feel the exact opposite. I think they could replace every original character with Disney characters and it would be far more faithful to the original. All these original characters have taken a series that was a light hearted story of a boy and his friends going to save his other friends and turned it into something unnecessarily convoluted.

I don't think it's as convoluted as people make it out to be.

I think Shimomura is the reason the soundtrack is as good as it is. I love almost all the original compositions for the series, taken even without the Disney influences.

Skilletor

Disagree, especially about the soundtracks. The tunes based on disney tracks are by far my least favorite in the series.

RPGCrazied

I guess if they announce just Kingdom Hearts 3, I'm going to have to rebuy 1 & 2 and hope they emulate on my PC, cause they don't look so hot on my HDTV. No PS2 games does, lol.

wrowa

Is Birth by Sleep a good starting point for the series? I played KH1 back in the day but didn't like it very much. I would like to give the series another go, but do I need to have played the other games to understand (as much as one can understand KH, I guess) BbS?

I could also play KH1 again, but I'm not really in the mood for console gaming at the moment.

Is Birth by Sleep a good starting point for the series? I played KH1 back in the day but didn't like it very much. I would like to give the series another go, but do I need to have played the other games to understand (as much as one can understand KH, I guess) BbS?

I could also play KH1 again, but I'm not really in the mood for console gaming at the moment.

It is pretty self contained so you definately will get the main plot without playing other games. Biggest downside is that if you play KH1 afterwards for example it can feel like a huge downgrade on combat.

Also if you decide to play BBS you should leave Aquas scenario for last.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe the next KH is related to th Edge preview next month? The preview shows a heart with the time 11:10.

RPGCrazied

Maybe the next KH is related to th Edge preview next month? The preview shows a heart with the time 11:10.

Interesting. I'd really like to have the HD collection first, but 3 would be okay I guess. Just no more spinoff handheld games! Even if BBS is part of the main story.

Seda

It doesn't really look KH related to me, different style

Agreed.

20120504_101253.jpg

11:10?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As nice as a 360/PS3/Whatever HD Kingdom Hearts III sounds, I have no trust or faith in SE to actually follow through on such a project with any level of competence.

I just want them finish the series/current story on hardware they can actually complete a game on.

Feh, I WANT KH3 with many awesome movies lately. Princess and the Frog, Toy Story, Incredible, Tangled, and many more.

So, when do you think we will get this news? I'm guessing E3. This month is going to drag on so slowly. I want to know now! :) Of course whatever it is will just crush me. But if its not 3DS Dream Drop final mix, and its not BBS Vol. 2, what on earth could it be? I'll say its 1 of three things.

1.)Another spinoff, ugh, this time for Vita.
2.)KH HD collection, or just KH 1 HD. Final Mixes would be nice, but I'm sure it'll be the standard versions.
3.)KH 3. But why would they do that before HD collection? He said he wanted to make it easier for people to get into the series, but having all the games spread out on different consoles kinda make it impossible to play them all. Unless your a rich person.

Other than that, I have no idea, a movie? lol

I doubt that we will hear something at e3. They rarely show JRPG @ E3, right?

You'll get your HD versions of KH1 and 2 bundled together and like it.

HD rereleases are all the rave now.

I would love it if they bundled it with KH1 FM, KH2 FM and BBS FM for HD Collection.

CorvoSol

Because they're fun, and nowhere near as serious as most RPGs.

J-Rzez

Part nostalgia, part gameplay, part story. It's just a fun game, and a proper "next-gen KH3" is the one game we didn't get this gen I was looking forward too. But SE has really-really dropped the ball this gen. Maybe this-coming-next-gen we'll get a proper KH3.

SykoTech

It would have to look more like this if it was KH.

That would be a dead giveaway though, don't you think? Surely they'd like to keep some mystery in teasers like these.

Not that I think it's KHIII though, despite how much I'd like it to be. I think that would be announced in a EDGE mag.

That would be a dead giveaway though, don't you think? Surely they'd like to keep some mystery in teasers like these.

Not that I think it's KHIII though, despite how much I'd like it to be. I think that would be announced in a EDGE mag.

Exactly these dumb magazine previews are always really general.

Kingdom hearts 11 hours / 10 minutes confirmed.

Cornbread78

You'll get your HD versions of KH1 and 2 bundled together and like it.

HD rereleases are all the rave now.

Seriously the opening of KH2 played through my PS3 looks amazing to this day. The PS3 must upscale the reso, bucause it looks like it was just done yesterday kinda beautiful......

Top Bottom