• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leonardo DiCaprio - The Greatest Actor of Our Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Instead of hating Cameron he should be grateful, without him and Titanic he would not be as big as he is today.

Believe.

He IS great, i agree. Not sure he is the greatest though.
He was not very convincing in The Aviator though. Too young perhaps.

Instead of hating Cameron he should be grateful, without him and Titanic he would not be as big as he is today.

Believe.

Oh right, he was in that shitty movie too...

highrider

Banned
blood diamond was probably his most impressive recent films. i've always found him kind of strained in many of his performances. he also hasn't aged well imo. he looks kind of strange to me, and he doesn't seem to be in very good physical condition. leo is a good actor but i don't rate him among the best.

The Chef

Titanic is cheesy as fuck, but you can't deny that it takes charisma to convincingly perform those hammy James Cameron lines. Lots of energy, lots of life; really glad he chose some ridiculously great roles after that, he's made some great films with Scorsese. Not sure if I'd say he's the best actor of our generation, but he's damn good.

What I'm trying to say is that you should've put Titanic instead of Inception on your list.

Thats really a great point.

Titanic is cheesy as fuck, but you can't deny that it takes charisma to convincingly perform those hammy James Cameron lines. Lots of energy, lots of life; really glad he chose some ridiculously great roles after that, he's made some great films with Scorsese. Not sure if I'd say he's the best actor of our generation, but he's damn good.

What I'm trying to say is that you should've put Titanic instead of Inception on your list.

Sam Worthington.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think any line in Titanic is as hammy and laughable as "we have to go deeper"

Seanspeed

Banned
A great actor and also one who you can generally trust to only star in something worth starring in. He doesn't have that many blemishes on his career sheet unlike many other big-time actors. If Leo is in the movie, its probably worth checking out.

Aguirre

SGY-015366.jpg

blood diamond was probably his most impressive recent films. i've always found him kind of strained in many of his performances. he also hasn't aged well imo. he looks kind of strange to me, and he doesn't seem to be in very good physical condition. leo is a good actor but i don't rate him among the best.

Blood Diamond was garbage, especially compared to The Aviator.

Leo is an absolutely fantastic actor. But he cannot pull off accents. Ever.

bud

sam worthington... UGH. he can't act, but what bothers me the most is that keeps switching accents, sometimes even within the space of two lines. i can't believe that motherfucker is making millions.

He's an exceptional actor, to be sure.

Used to be that seeing him in a film would make me hesitant to see it (after Titanic and The Beach). Totally reversed that now though, and seeing he's in a film will make me take more interest in possibly seeing the movie.

jtb

Banned
Sam Worthington.

keyword: convincingly. On the Cameron scale, Leo is Arnold/Biehn/Hamilton-tier while Sam falls with fuckin Eddie Furlong. and I like Avatar!

A great actor and also one who you can generally trust to only star in something worth starring in. He doesn't have that many blemishes on his career sheet unlike many other big-time actors. If Leo is in the movie, its probably worth checking out.

isn't this a measure of best agent, not best actor?

If Joaquin Phoenix came in more films I'd easily put him up there.

Also I think Fassbender will be up pretty soon. And Brad Pitt certainly isn't the best but he's easily got the best filmography out of all these dudes right now.

Tom Cruise is more talented than Pitt but he's got shit movie choices so whatever.

bud

damon 'crying' in good will hunting almost ruined that scene for me.

was he laughing or crying? what the fuck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If Joaquin Phoenix came in more films I'd easily put him up there.

Also I think Fassbender will be up pretty soon. And Brad Pitt certainly isn't the best but he's easily got the best filmography out of all these dudes right now.

Tom Cruise is more talented than Pitt but he's got shit movie choices so whatever.

I find the lack of Hanks disturbing

highrider

Banned
Blood Diamond was garbage, especially compared to The Aviator.

Leo is an absolutely fantastic actor. But he cannot pull off accents. Ever.

the aviator was far beyond his range imo. blood diamond wasn't a great movie, but it was one that stuck out for me as one of his better acting jobs.

also i agree with the previous guy about matt damon. he blows doors on leo.

Dead

well not really...yet
The main noteworthy role of DiCaprio this decade are

Catch me if you can
Departed
Aviator
Shutter Island

The rest is either terrible accent city (Blood Diamond), or Corny wonderland (Inception)

I dont think its so much that DiCaprio relies on Good scripts, but rather when he is tied to a good director like Scorcese and Spielberg, he does great, but tied to a bland or mediocre director then you get forgettable performances like Blood Diamond and Inception

Salsa

also better actors IMO (sticking to hollywood stars) this generation (not sure where the limits are there), just to create discussion:

9qkOV.jpg
xBUvf.jpg
NDHng.jpg
L6Sf5.jpg
KhJkm.jpg
p9QeZ.jpg
S76E2.jpg
mMPZN.jpg
7gAau.jpg

Catch me if you can
Departed
Aviator
Shutter Island

The rest is either terrible accent city (Blood Diamond), or Corny wonderland (Inception)

I dont think its so much that DiCaprio relies on Good scripts, but rather when he is tied to a good director like Scorcese and Spielberg, he does great, but tied to a bland or mediocre director then you get forgettable performances like Blood Diamond and Inception

What have you done.

Catch me if you can
Departed
Aviator
Shutter Island

tumblr_lfim1pQtIm1qc9316.gif

bud

someone like fassbender's already had better performances than dicaprio even though he's only been doing films since 2008 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom