• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Turin

Banned
It should be fun to watch.

No real preference between these two. I think Ortiz might be a more interesting opponent for Joshua if he comes in sharp but Wilder would make for the bigger event.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Based on what? Golovkin had over 300 amateur fights and only lost about 5.

That if canelo did not have a gas tank that uses fuel like an H3 Hummer, he would have won easily. When he wasn't tired, though I know that's part of boxing, the conditioning, but when both were fresh, canelo was manhandling ggg.

That if canelo did not have a gas tank that uses fuel like an H3 Hummer, he would have won easily. When he wasn't tired, though I know that's part of boxing, the conditioning, but when both were fresh, canelo was manhandling ggg.

I think the way Canelo fought in the first 3-4 rounds helped drain his gas though. He was quick, moving all over the place, using his head and feet to stay one step ahead of GGG. It was part of the reason he won some of those early rounds.

TuXx

Sad to see Ward go.

Can't blame him. After jumping up and knocking out the boogie man of that division, there's not much else you could prove.

He outlanded Canelo in 10 of 12 rounds and in the fight as a whole by a wide margin. You bring up Floyd: Floyd beats guys by outlanding them. Ring generalship is another factor in scoring fights. As you yourself admit, GGG "controlled" most of the fight. Coupled with comfortable punch margins, the outcome of the fight should be - and frankly is - clear to most.

I feel like I'm back in 2015 arguing with people who are trying to say Pac actually beat Mayweather. It's flashbacks right now.
People say he controlled the fight; just because Canelo was on the back foot doesn't mean he was being dominated. I don't think there's anyone in here who could with good conscience say that either one dominated. Plus not every punch is weighed the same; judges will always give preference to clean, effective punches over probing jabs or glances off the gloves and arms. That's why relying on Compubox is a fools errand. The only generalship that GGG showed was that he was willing to follow Canelo around the ring, because he still couldn't corner and trap an exhausted guy in front of him.

Sad to see Ward go.

Can't blame him. After jumping up and knocking out the boogie man of that division, there's not much else you could prove.

I really expected him to take on Bellew at HW lol. Oh well, good for him anyway. Overstaying your welcome in boxing is harmful and if he doesn't have the drive anymore, there's not much you can do. Legendary boxer.

Tom_Cody

I'm expecting Ward's retirement is more of a boxing retirement than an actual retirement.

He's coming off of two career high paydays and he would only stand to earn a fraction of those against any current options. He will probably stay in shape and focus on his commentary work for a few years and then return once a formidable challenge emerges.

That said, he has already had a fantastic career. He's a lock of a hall of fame and he is certainly one of the best of his generation.

Sentenza

PPV numbers for the two Kovalev vs Ward fight were actually terrible.

Also, OBVIOUSLY an unpopular opinion around here, but I never liked Ward that much.
Skillful for sure, but also one of the dirtiest fighters on the top of a P4P list in years.

Elbows, headbutts, leg grabbing, low blows, rabbit punches, obsessive clinching...
Fouls and illegal tactics for him weren't even an exception, but almost a signature mark.

I was always a bit baffled by how rarely referees and commentators called him out about this.

Close fight, with O'Connor being a judge Fury will probably get the win, if not we might see a riot 😂

Wow, O'Connor scored it 10-2 in favour of Parker, lol, Fast Eddie must have got to him.

AJ demolishes this Parker guy.

Hennessy going off in the post fight interview, say the result is nothing but corruption, says some company (Matchroom / SKY) is behind it, wants an investigation.

Syder

No, that's not Butterbean

agk4xaa688oz.jpg

it's former World Heavyweight Champion, Tyson Fury

Luis Ortiz failed a pre-fight drug test and the fight with Wilder is off. You couldn't make up this shit.

edit: I'm actually reading conflicting things now. Apparently, Ortiz has a prescription for those meds and while the fight is in doubt, it's not off yet. We'll see.

Tom_Cody

Luis Ortiz failed a pre-fight drug test and the fight with Wilder is off. You couldn't make up this shit.

edit: I'm actually reading conflicting things now. Apparently, Ortiz has a prescription for those meds and while the fight is in doubt, it's not off yet. We'll see.
Ugh.

I already have tickets for the fight. I hope they work it out.

Leunam

Supposedly that blood pressure medication is used to flush out traces of drugs in the system.

PR_rambo

Banned
And fuckers will blame Wilder for i, I for one love seeing these cheats get popped. Fuck these morons who are cool with seeing cheaters prosper.

Great fight tonight between Crolla and Burns - whilst close I think Crolla UD was the right call, his inside work ad willingness to work every minute of every round made the difference.

I reckon both guys are still in the mix tho, and astyles make fights - I think whilst Crolla struggled with Linares, Burns would give him fits.

Both guys deserve a shot at Flanagan.

King Kovu

Good fights tonight. I'm rocking with Lara-Charlo-Hurd. Really excited for the Charlo Lubin fight. Really rooting for Lubin to pull out the W, but I think Charlos experience is going to come into play if it goes into the later rounds.

Good fights tonight. I'm rocking with Lara-Charlo-Hurd. Really excited for the Charlo Lubin fight. Really rooting for Lubin to pull out the W, but I think Charlos experience is going to come into play if it goes into the later rounds.

I got charlo,lara and trout. I dout lubin will beat charlo.

Top Bottom