• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Pixar's COCO |OT|

t-storm

DBpia1eVYAEJrWu.jpg

OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION

Despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music, Miguel (voice of newcomer Anthony Gonzalez) dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol, Ernesto de la Cruz (voice of Benjamin Bratt). Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Hector (voice of Gael García Bernal), and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history.

CAST

Anthony Gonzalez
Gael García Bernal
Benjamin Bratt
Renée Victor
Ana Ofelia Murguia
Alanna Ubach
Jaime Camil
Sofía Espinosa
Selene Luna
Alfonso Arau
Edward James Olmos

TOMATOMETER

96% certified fresh

Average Rating: 8.1/10
Reviews Counted: 146
Fresh: 140
Rotten: 6

Critics consensus: Coco's rich visual pleasures are matched by a thoughtful narrative that takes a family-friendly -- and deeply affecting -- approach to questions of culture, family, life, and death.

FINAL TRAILER

Saw this today. As I noted in the box office thread, I found it to be a solid entry into the Disney Pixar family. Liked the twist towards the end. The vibrant colours and music were great. Lots of people in my theatre were crying at the end.

What a great movie!! Serious and sad and funny in all the right moments. The colorful world of this movie I think its 10/10 you should see it!]

RAWi

I am usually the kind of guy that doesn't like this "Dia del Muerto" theme on movies, as they usually show the typical Mexican family, guy and such, with stereotypes and all. And I am not too much into Mexican culture, "malinchista" some people would call me.

Therefore, I wasn't eager about watching the movie. Let's say that I thought it was going to be "more of the same".

But! Hoooo boy! I was wrooooong. The movie was really good. Loved it. Highly recommend it. Specially liked how they tackle the whole death situations and about forgetting someone.

t-storm

What a great movie!! Serious and sad and funny in all the right moments. The colorful world of this movie I think its 10/10 you should see it!]
Indeed.

Just note that before COCO and after 10 minutes of commercials and trailers, Disney showed “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” which we weren’t expecting. It’s 21 minutes long.

nobodyaskedforthis.jpg

Honestly. All I could hear was children in the theatre asking when the movie was going to start.

Astral Dog

Indeed.

Just note that before COCO and after 10 minutes of commercials and trailers, Disney showed “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” which we weren’t expecting. It’s 21 minutes long.

nobodyaskedforthis.jpg

Honestly. All I could hear was children in the theatre asking when the movie was going to start.
Yes that was bad :^(

But children will go to see it for Frozen i guess

Laws00

Saw it tueday.

liked it

was funny how the (grand)mothers chancletas to beat everyones asses in that movie

Laws00

Indeed.

nobodyaskedforthis.jpg

I counted about 40-45 minutes.

Bookoo

Indeed.

nobodyaskedforthis.jpg

I just got back from seeing it and was suprised how long that openning short was. The movie itself was pretty good.

Brandwin

Coco was really, really good. My 6 year old son, my 12 year old niece and my wife all loved it as well. But yeah, that Frozen shirt was ridiculous for the length and it wasn't good at all.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My kid was in agony and crying for half of the movie...

He was afraid Miguel couldn't go back to the living ever since he first got skeleton fingers. It was hard to watch!

Yeah, my kid as well. He loves skeletons and this concept of an afterlife (does this reconcile with Catholicism in some way?) So he was heavily emotionally invested in all the characters. This film is a good condensed version of my wife's family dynamics (not Mexican but close enough) as well.

Top Bottom