• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

BadWolf

No one is saying that they'll repeat RE 6, but will probably go for an RE 4/5 type game for RE 8 and spin off the FPS mechanics.

Openings:

Resident Evil 5 - 4.9 million first two months (4.4 month 1, 500K month 2)

Resident Evil 6 - 4.9 million first three months (lower sales opening months attributed to critical reception)

Resident Evil 7 - 3.5 million first three months

It's not hard to forecast that RE 7 won't catch up, and Capcom probably isn't the happiest with coming in 500K under plan (though Dead Rising 4 coming in a million plus under planning to the point of not even selling a million probably ensures that franchise is dead). So it wouldn't surprise me if RE 8 was yet another shift.

Honestly this past sales report was generally bad news for Capcom with everything underselling to a degree with one of their biggest franchises, Dead Rising, utterly flopping.

Also, those numbers for RE5 and RE6 are console only versus RE7's consoles+PC.

The PC versions of 5 and 6 hit half a year after the console releases.

No one is saying that they'll repeat RE 6, but will probably go for an RE 4/5 type game for RE 8 and spin off the FPS mechanics.

Openings:

Resident Evil 5 - 4.9 million first two months (4.4 month 1, 500K month 2)

Resident Evil 6 - 4.9 million first three months (lower sales opening months attributed to critical reception)

Resident Evil 7 - 3.5 million first three months

It's not hard to forecast that RE 7 won't catch up, and Capcom probably isn't the happiest with coming in 500K under plan (though Dead Rising 4 coming in a million plus under planning to the point of not even selling a million probably ensures that franchise is dead). So it wouldn't surprise me if RE 8 was yet another shift.

Honestly this past sales report was generally bad news for Capcom with everything underselling to a degree with one of their biggest franchises, Dead Rising, utterly flopping. Capcom already aimed low for RE 7 with 4 million expected sales and still missed by 500K.

RE6 was 4.9 million after 6 months including a holiday season. Not sure how you can paint 4 million for RE7 in 3 months as low.

BadWolf

RE6 was 4.9 million after 6 months including a holiday season. Not sure how you can paint 4 million for RE7 in 3 months as low.

That's 3.5 million, and while releasing on more platforms than the two previous ones at launch.

So yeah, it's easy to see why it's not impressive for a mainline RE.

Ah, misread. It was4.5 million month one but sales drastically fell due to critical reception to sell what you said.

And you know, looking closer at Capcom's sales forecasts, I was wrong: I don't know what the fuck they're on about.

They expected only 2.3 million sales for RE 5(So barely more than Devil May Cry 4?) and Expected to sell 7 million copies of RE 6 in about 6 months. Then I remembered they also expected Ten million sales for Dragon's Dogma, So maybe them forecasting 4 million as out there as I though...

Point still stands that RE 7 has it's work cut out for it.

That's 3.5 million, and while releasing on more platforms than the two previous ones at launch.

So yeah, it's easy to see why it's not impressive for a mainline RE.

Nah its still fine. Its continued sales over time is what matters and we'll see how that fares after the DLC expansion and the coming years.

It took RE6 3 years to reach 6.3 million after its initial 4.9 million.

Ah, misread. It was4.5 million month one but sales drastically fell due to critical reception to sell what you said.

And you know, looking closer at Capcom's sales forecasts, I was wrong: I don't know what the fuck they're on about.

They expected only 2.3 million sales for RE 5(So barely more than Devil May Cry 4?) and Expected to sell 7 million copies of RE 6 in about 6 months. Then I remembered they also expected Ten million sales for Dragon's Dogma, So maybe them forecasting 4 million as out there as I though...

Point still stands that RE 7 has it's work cut out for it.

The 10 million was a developer dream rather than a financial expectation. Capcom got high over the response of RE5, which exploded due to the immense reception of RE4, and spent massive amounts on RE6, leading to even higher expectations to break even.

Also, those numbers for RE5 and RE6 are console only versus RE7's consoles+PC.

The PC versions of 5 and 6 hit half a year after the console releases.
That's an argument for double dipping though.

Staggered releases will do that.

They expected only 2.3 million sales for RE 5(So barely more than Devil May Cry 4?)

Was 3.2m actually.

https://www.vg247.com/2008/11/06/resident-evil-5-will-sell-32-million-copies-says-capcom/

Gradon

I started replaying Operation Raccoon City recently because I never finished it.
I've been enjoying playing the campaign online (I'm shocked that people still play this online!) and have been having fun to be honest.

I've always heard the DLC campaign was so much better than the actual game too. Can't wait to get to that.

I am sad that Umbrella Corps wasn't very good, considering ORC stumps it and people still hated ORC is slightly depressing, especially for the 20th anniversary.

zeemumu

I started replaying Operation Raccoon City recently because I never finished it.
I've been enjoying playing the campaign online (I'm shocked that people still play this online!) and have been having fun to be honest.

I've always heard the DLC campaign was so much better than the actual game too. Can't wait to get to that.

I am sad that Umbrella Corps wasn't very good, considering ORC stumps it and people still hated ORC is slightly depressing, especially for the 20th anniversary.

That last boss fight is where that game really just falls off the edge but I felt like it was a gradual decline in enjoyment the whole way through

Jawmuncher

If you have 4 people to play with it can be quite decent. Playing solo is a chore though unless you're on easy. Half the time you're better off running through levels and cheesing through than actually trying to play especially on higher difficulties.

I'm still sad about the game to this day. When I was younger the idea of ORC was basically what I wanted to see as an RE game. So to finally get that wish and it not be up to snuff was one hell of a monkey paw.

kc44135

IDK, guys, I really don't see them abandoning First -person, especially after it was so well received by most. I'm sure we'll see third-person action RE again, but I really think we'll see RE8 and 9 in first-person, especially since the main RE team could use their experience 7 as a learning tool to make a better sequel. Radically changing gears with each installment prevents a Dev from being able to learn from their mistakes, and I'm sure the RE team understands this. I'm sure there will be changes and innovation in RE8, but I don't just don't think we'll see a radical shift twice in a row, or that the devs would actually want that. The history of the series tells us otherwise.

Hey people! I should post more here lol

I wonder how much Umbrella Corps sold... hahah

I really hope that REmake 2 takes REmake as an example, static camera and tank controls would be great for me.

BadWolf

Sherry is what our lives need more of.

As for REmake 2, I think I'll put my bet on it being classic style. Action style would obviously make more money but I think this would be their last and best chance to give the classic formula another try and if it sells well then they could continue to make games in the classic style in addition to mainline, Revelations etc.

Man, time really flies. In August it will be 2 years since Remake 2 was announced.

I'm the only one who wants to know what the hell has been Jill up to since RE5?
Not taking in count the
Rev2 file

Not alone, it has been 8 years since RE5 released and we still got no follow up. Just as bad as the RE3>REUC gap of no info, only the timer since RE5 is likely still gonna be ticking a few more years.

Is why I'm against new characters in the series, they cannot even keep the stories for the current ones updating in a timely manner.

Not alone, it has been 8 years since RE5 released and we still got no follow up. Just as bad as the RE3>REUC gap of no info, only the timer since RE5 is likely still gonna be ticking a few more years.

Is why I'm against new characters in the series, they cannot even keep the stories for the current ones updating in a timely manner.
It really depends though, take Chris as an example. Rev1 > RE5 > RE6 > Vendetta > RE7, he has been a recurrent character as of late just like Leon (so we know what they have been up to) but last time we knew from Claire and Jill (timeline speaking) was 2011 and 2009 respetively... it sucks.

I think I found my favorite piece of fan content since SIKSHADOW remixes (Texts from the BSAA)

tumblr_o4ev4med281smh9rgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o4ev4med281smh9rgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o4ev4med281smh9rgo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o4ev4med281smh9rgo4_1280.jpg

I'm reading them in the character's voices and am rolling on the floor.

Mr_Zombie

Oh c'mon. That's the only main RE game without a proper PC release. It's already on MT Framework so porting it to PC shouldn't be a big problem :/

It feels weird that they would do that for Code Veronica after giving every other title from that time period a proper retail release. Not even porting the HD remaster is just fucking weird. Someone must really hate that game at Capcom right now

Weekly Dose of Action RE gifs:

3-EDao6QH.gif

Just keep swimming, Leon.

tumblr_nivn3uLJEh1qdrfdro1_500.gif

Sherry kicking ass.

tumblr_ooxcl3cvFx1w1nb8jo2_400.gif

Lethal Jill

tumblr_om3e1y5TzV1w1nb8jo1_400.gif

Jake working on his dancing career.

tumblr_ole4t0sE2U1w1nb8jo7_400.gif

Burninating zombies, Rebecca style.

Top Bottom