• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League is coming to Switch tomorrow

newsguy

I am so sad to not see anyone else talking about this. For me personally, this will probably be the best gaming related thing to happen in years. I have been playing RL since the PS4 beta, and later the free + version. From there I’ve bought it on every other platform simply to support Psyonix.

I travel for work, and the thought of having RL at full 60fps while sitting in a hotel room sounds too good to be true. I hope that everyone who owns a Switch buys this game. It is a great price, and if it clicks with you, can potentially offer years worth of gaming goodness.

Here’s a stream happening right now to show just how smooth this looks on the Switch

https://youtu.be/TRokTmPI4v0

AMA here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/c...ix_and_were_releasing_rocket_league/?sort=new

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea it was tomorrkw, will buy it in a heartbeat.

Trouble is I put hundreds of hours in with an elite controller and used the paddles. Oh God the adjustment is gonna sting

Hinedorf

Banned
When Rocket League came out in 2015 I thought without question it was the Game of the Year. Some 500+ hours of play later, I still think so.

Perfectly simple to play, incredibly difficult to master. Still one of my top choices in games to play.

newsguy

How much is this? Never played it, might give it a shot.

20 bucks. It’s digital crack. I often wonder if I never owned another game ever again, if RL would eventually get boring. I have been playing pretty consistently for 2+ years and it feels new and fresh every time out.

newsguy

I had no idea it was tomorrkw, will buy it in a heartbeat.

Trouble is I put hundreds of hours in with an elite controller and used the paddles. Oh God the adjustment is gonna sting

Yeah, my favorite controller to play this with is the Xbox one for sure. The PS4 one feels mushy in comparison. Not sure how this will feel with Digital triggers.

I play a lot of games, but I always come back to Rocket League for more. Switch owners are in for a treat.

20 bucks. It’s digital crack. I often wonder if I never owned another game ever again, if RL would eventually get boring. I have been playing pretty consistently for 2+ years and it feels new and fresh every time out.

When Rocket League came out in 2015 I thought without question it was the Game of the Year. Some 500+ hours of play later, I still think so.

Perfectly simple to play, incredibly difficult to master. Still one of my top choices in games to play.
I'm going to have to buy this ain't I? You guys make this seem great. I'm going to try it out.

neurophd

Love the game and portability is tempting but I can’t imagine enjoying this without my Xbox Elite controller. I am spoiled using tweaks to stick response rates and right paddle for boost. Plus non analog speed control in portable mode seems like it would be frustrating. I am looking forward to enhanced updates for X1X.

seady

Don’t worry this will sell like crazy just like other big Switch indies. Especially this has a ton of Nintendo support.

Vitacat

Dumb question maybe, but does RL have single player?

EDIT: I looked it up, and for anyone else asking that question, yes it does have a SP season mode.

czk51

Had a lot of fun with this on PS4 but been a long, long time since I've played it. Not sure I can justify buying again (in fact as I type this I think it was free on PS+) but it does look like crazy fun to play with my 5yo.

IMACOMPUTA

Rocket league is this generation's Counterstrike. It's infinitely replayable. One of my favorite games ever and an absolute perfect fit for the Switch. Can't wait!

Never played RL. Thinking about jumping in with the Switch version. Will I just get totally destroyed by the experienced players or is it noob friendly?

newsguy

Never played RL. Thinking about jumping in with the Switch version. Will I just get totally destroyed by the experienced players or is it noob friendly?

It’s fine. There will probably tons of new players jumping in for the first time with Switch. When playing ranked, the game will put you against people in your class (although you will probably have to play the experienced people until they get promoted). You can also play unranked or any of the other modes that are experimental which are lots of fun as well.

Grinchy

Banned

The other versions allow you to disable crossplay, so I assume this one does too. You can do that if you want to make sure you're only playing Switch players, which would really ensure you're playing with mostly first-timers.

The ranking system (even for unranked with MMR) will help with that anyway. It tries not to match people up against players who can destroy them.

WiCkEd_Co

Downloading now, been playing since the PS3 days when it was Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, While not the best player I love this game.

Own it on Ps4/Xbox One/Pc and now Switch.

played about 20 or so minutes. Rocket League is generally not a looker but Jesus Christ do not play this on a 4k TV. Also a pro controller is necessary.

Other than that it plays like Rocket League.

I've been spoiled with a high end PC version so this definitely hurt my eyes.

slatis

Neo Member
I'm playing right now and it's pure fun (haven't played it on any other platform yet) however I can't find anywhere samus' gunship, anyone knows how can I unlock it?

Rourkey

Just had a couple of games, it looks great on the switch screen but the controls are a struggle as they aren't precise enough, hopefully with practice i'll get better.

Will have a go on the TV & Pro controller later but as I have it on Xbox one and PC i'm not expecting much

I don't know if I should get that one. There are so many Switch games that either have released, or will be released in the next days. My money is not ready.

jadedm17

Yep. Excluding the Sony family, all versions support cross platform play.

#4ThePlayers

The irony is amusing, I'll agree, but it's still crazy to think the market leader by 2:1 (with Xbox) would benefit from joining the party. I'd love crossplay between all platforms but I can't hate on Sony for seeing it as more detrimental than benefit.

newsguy

I played for about 3 hours. Docked it looks assy, but it is old fashioned RL and it feels great. In this mode I sustain my platinum 2-3 status throughout.

Playing undocked is a bit different. I realized I must play this with the Pro controller, but even then, on certain maps it’s hard to see what’s happening when the ball is far away. Some of the maps drop the resolution so much that they literally look like they’re about to use Mode 7 graphics and an F Zero car will appear at any second.

That said, I was able to play against PC and PS4 players all night and hold my own on the tiny screen. Undocked I dropped a few levels to about gold 2-3. Even for travel I may start bringing my dock with me just because the small screen strains the eyes for long sessions. Overall I’m happy with it and I’m excited to have a version that I can take on the road.

For the person asking about the Samus car, all the cars unlock at random, just keep playing and it will eventually unlock.

Fbh

Playing undocked is a bit different. I realized I must play this with the Pro controller, but even then, on certain maps it's hard to see what's happening when the ball is far away. Some of the maps drop the resolution so much that they literally look like they're about to use Mode 7 graphics and an F Zero car will appear at any second.

Was planning on picking this up. But it would have been almost exclusively to play in undocked mode and this sounds a bit worrying. I think I'll wait for some videos

theshortbaker

Neo Member
Looking to see how this compares to the Pro XBX, pretty sure I'll only be playing the Switch in docked mode tho...

Triple dipping in Rocket League, totally worth it for the amount of hours I have pumped into that game over the past couple years.

f@luS

More than a member.
played about 20 or so minutes. Rocket League is generally not a looker but Jesus Christ do not play this on a 4k TV. Also a pro controller is necessary.

Other than that it plays like Rocket League.

I've been spoiled with a high end PC version so this definitely hurt my eyes.
i just tried training on my 4k tv. Maybe it’s better because I was only one but it looked ok. Or my magic mcable is doing wonders

Not Drake

I'm probably gonna pass. I'm playing on my Switch exclusively in handheld mode and impressions from that mode are not positive enough for me to drop 20 euros on it.

I watched a few minutes of the GameExplain gameplay video and it's looking rough. Most Switch games look great, but some of these ports really show the limitations of the system.

Pila

Bought it already, can't wait to try it out after work.

So happy about the 60 fps, it's mandatory in RL. I'll literally take 3DS graphics before 30 fps on this game. They know it matters.

See you on the field, I'll be so rusty XD been a while since I played this regularly.

Top Bottom