• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

If this is real, here's the following info I just got out of this leak that I didn't know before:

Flight mode
Miis
An internal web applet (how it'll possibly allow hotspot login)
Game card sizes (32gb max)
Quick menu ala Guide
Up to 8 users per console
Full specs
Friend requests and game invites can be sent from the console
Game saves on game carts again (there was no backup solution for this setup on 3DS.

And it's out in just a couple of weeks.

The information strategy out of Nintendo is just horrendous.

We knew about miis, they were confirmed to be in the system settings since January 13th.

yurinka

Compression means 32 gigs is fine. Few developers seem to bother using it these days but a good compression technique, especially from cartridges, means that 32 gigs should be enough. Besides you aren't going to be using very high quality textures on switch games.
32 gigs means that a game of this size won't fit in the console storage.

And 32 is less than 50, what is stored in a BR (using compression too).

sphinx

the piano man
Isn't this a bit faster than most of us thought? Maximum of 1 teraflop makes current gen ports more likely, but handheld mode will probably put a damper on that.

assuming this info is legit, do we have examples of current, existing, major 3rd party retail PS4/X1 games that would be possible on switch without major compromises?

Oregano

Sure but they should atleast give a damn about Xbox 1. I thought it was gonna be very similiar to XB1 before leaks. Pascal and shit got us all hype

If a tablet with the power of an XB1 at $300 or less was feasible Microsoft would be releasing it.

Hermii

Isn't this a bit faster than most of us thought? Maximum of 1 teraflop makes current gen ports more likely, but handheld mode will probably put a damper on that.

1 teraflop Nvidia hardware would be fantastic and no excuse for third parties to not port their games.

Its most likely 157 Gflops mobile and 390 docked.

DigiDom

I really like this. I know that's pretty standard, but you never know with Nintendo. Also the web applet might solve the public wifi hotspots issue.

I was worried about that as well hopefully we'll get some information about the stand by battery life soon. The 3DS was terrible compared to the vita.

I guess thiss confirmes that the leaked image before the Switch reveal was true:

RXfrQ7B.png

EDIT: Beaten.

Yes. It was always real

Shiggy

Game screenshot limits:
System memory: 1000
SD Card: 10000

If these limits are reached, no screenshots can be saved.

Coffinhal

Of course. The fact the device is a portable has compromised everything. They've had to take into account things like battery life, heat and cost.

Had they just designed an actual console with a pro controller we would have had something a lot better in terms of spec.

I'd have been really happy with a console and pro controller. But perhaps I'm in a minority.....

I found someone that hoped for a PS4/XBO with Mario and Zelda on it.

You need to remember that Nintendo as a console manufacturer doesn't replicate anymore the industry's standard and need to be competitive by producing an alternative to the the powerful box with good controller.

On the other hand the shit is really powerful for that size.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As of July, and only for game developers so far.

No matter how much more you will write "as of July" magic dust won't suddenly appear. Try another magical formula like "Foxconnus Ascendare". What I'm trying to say is that there is already a thread for this, don't transform this one too into the same thing.

And it's not for the game developers, it's for applications in general.

Of course. The fact the device is a portable has compromised everything. They've had to take into account things like battery life, heat and cost.

Had they just designed an actual console with a pro controller we would have had something a lot better in terms of spec.

I'd have been really happy with a console and pro controller. But perhaps I'm in a minority.....

I would love another "me too box" with all the multi-platform that releases on the PlayStation and Xbox but instead of having Halo, Gears etc I'd have Zelda, Mario Kart etc

Still, a November launch would probably have gotten them Pascal so better battery life and possibly more powerful as well. Rush for fiscal year BS.

iswasdoes

I really don't know why you guys do this to yourselves. Every time there's a new bit of info there's this hopeful attitude that "so, is it way more powerful now? is it now X Wii U's and nearly an Xbox One?"

No matter what the final hardware is, its not gonna be in the power bracket of a Xbox One or PS4. Its gonna be in the power bracket of a high end tablet, because that's what it is. And a really good value one it seems.

We're past the point of specs on this I think. We've seen loads of footage,we know what to expect graphics wise. Nintendo 1st party games or those with a distinctive art style will look great. Older games like Skyrim will look great. It won't be able to do like for like multi-platform port of modern games, though seeing as Rise of the Tomb raider or GTA 5 run on 360, there's no reason you wont see scaled down ports.

Quite amazing for a portable machine really

OCD Guy

Yeah, I have multiple consoles that do that already. They probably do a better job at that then Nintendo could realistically accomplish too. Switch seems like the perfect console for the type of games that Nintendo makes, I couldn't be happier with the direction they decided to go.

I don't think Nintendo ever makes a traditional console again.

I agree that Nintendo won't likely make a traditional console again, they're still determined to make a gimmick that captures a new customer base, but the Wii will never happen again.

Not sure I agree with the other manufacturers doing a better job, but I guess it depends on what you're talking about.

With regards to games then I personally get more enjoyment out of Nintendo games. The Wii U gave me more fun than I have had on the PS4 and Xbox One. Of course there are good games on all platforms, but I'd take Mario Kart and Mario 3d land over any equivalent arcade racers and 3d platformers on other platformers for example.

While Nintendo might be avoiding competition in terms of direct power, they've now decided to try and compete in terms of online service. Comparisons are going to be made because it will eventually be a paid service, and they're going to operate subscription based games. Now in my opinion, that's one area they won't be able to compete.

In terms of games though, Nintendo can compete for me personally, and had the Switch been a traditional console, they could still have had the same big games e.g Mario Odyssey etc but the main difference being perhaps they could have reduced the cost of the actual device (if the power was kept the same).

Video output:
Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Specifications/Specifications-1176277.html#1

Ah good point, I was referring to assuming there would be no 4k video streaming based on the OP only. But if Nintendo's official website says the same thing now I guess it's true.

Although that can be changed via a software update, as the hardware is confirmed to have 4k video support.

No matter how much more you will write "as of July" magic dust won't suddenly appear. Try another magical formula like "Foxconnus Ascendare". What I'm trying to say is that there is already a thread for this, don't transform this one too into the same thing.

And it's not for the game developers, it's for applications in general.

Errr I'm only talking about 4k video streaming. I thought Matt even hinted at that being supported earlier in this thread but I guess it's easier to just assume it can never happen? And what I mean by game developers is we have confirmation from Nintendo themselves no video streaming apps are currently being developed. So who else would have devkits as of July?

Aleh

Damn yeah, themes management.
Those old OS pictures also look great, but I would love a Direct with actual current footage now

[*]Game cards come in 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB variations.

Anyone else a bit concerned with the game card sizes. Even through the console is a hybrid I feel like with the sizes of games now this might not be enough. Nintendo could have an extra download when you buy the card but that would take up space on an already small sdcard that comes with the switch.

Other than that the switch seems pretty standard I hope that Nintendo don't fuck up
beyond what they messed up already
the matchmaking and friend system.

Shiggy

Miis will change:

Mii characters allow characters with the user's face to appear in applications as avatars of the user. The NX can save up to 100 Mii characters for each console.

Note that, to register Mii characters to applications, the Face Library is required. Create Mii characters using the Create or Edit Mii Applet.

Differences Between Mii Characters on the 3DS and Wii U and Mii Characters on NX

Parameters to Expand
The number of colors for hair, eyebrows, eyes, facial hair, glasses, mouths, and skin.

Parameters to Remove
Creator's Name
Favorites
Birthday
Public (The Mii Encounters feature will go away.)
Copying (Anyone can edit Mii characters.)

All this power talk and flop jargon and all I care about is that the games will look better then my 3ds and I can play them all on the go.

I really don't know why you guys do this to yourselves. Every time there's a new bit of info there's this hopeful attitude that "so, is it way more powerful now? is it now X Wii U's and nearly an Xbox One?"

No matter what the final hardware is, its not gonna be in the power bracket of a Xbox One or PS4. Its gonna be in the power bracket of a high end tablet, because that's what it is. And a really good value one it seems.

We're past the point of specs on this I think. We've seen loads of footage,we know what to expect graphics wise. Nintendo 1st party games or those with a distinctive art style will look great. Older games like Skyrim will look great. It won't be able to do like for like multi-platform port of modern games, though seeing as Rise of the Tomb raider or GTA 5 run on 360, there's no reason you wont see scaled down ports.

Quite amazing for a portable machine really

But Nintendo keeps saying it's a home console lol Alternative facts.

OCD Guy

Still, a November launch would probably have gotten them Pascal so better battery life and possibly more powerful as well. Rush for fiscal year BS.

Yep, and they could have launched with a better launch line up. Imagine having a launch line up that consisted of Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. Then again the argument would be that they'd have nothing left to release lol.

Plus by then they could have launched with the online service how they want it to be, and given consumers information of how everything actually is.

But instead we find ourselves so close to launch and having to rely on "leaks" to find out about basic U.I features.

Top Bottom